Start by marking “The Portrait of a Lady” as Want to Read:
The Portrait of a Lady

The Portrait of a Lady

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  408 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
‘A Khushwant Singh short story is not flamboyant but modest, restrained, well-crafted…Perhaps his greatest gift as a writer is a wonderful particularity of description’—London Magazine Khushwant Singh first established his reputation as a writer through the short story. His stories—wry, poignant, erotic and, above all, human—bear testimony to Khushwant Singh’s remarkable r ...more
Published 2007 by Penguin

Book'd
Jun 29, 2014 Book'd rated it really liked it
A wonderful mix of entertaining and thought provoking stories. Some of them were not so appealing but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Khushwant singh was having a very unique style of writing which I loved the most. This was my third book by him and I have been a fan of his words since the first one.
Overall a great entertaining read.
Must read for all who want to have a good dose of laughter.
Looking forward to read the second volume soon.

Rajmr64
Apr 03, 2015 Rajmr64 rated it liked it
This a collection of short stories penned by the Sardar of prose...very interesting, and imbibes the earthy humor of life in middle class India in full measure. The title story is an account of a the life of the author's grandmother. It is very touching and thought provoking. The collection is interspersed with certain gems that I would rate very highly amongst the best in the genre of short stories that I have read...Please do read it, leaves you feeling light and happy, like you have had a nic ...more
Ayushi
Mar 20, 2014 Ayushi rated it really liked it
Note to Self, numero dos:Uggggghhhhhhh, can't review this one too!
I dunno what's happening. Been moving around too much all my life! Have to find the review to this one too. Next up, mission retrieving all my PC data this summer!
Sandeep Satish
Nov 01, 2014 Sandeep Satish rated it it was amazing
The quick wit and the observational marvel that is Khushwant Singh can be read page to page in each story that can capture the reader's imagination and also provoke him or her to question the deeper things in the Indian society
Aravindh K
Mar 20, 2014 Aravindh K rated it it was amazing
It's a poignant portrayal of how traditional values of our country are silently being displaced by urbanisation and modern life. This one will leave quite an impact on you.
Henrey
Mar 02, 2015 Henrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Rebecca
Mar 15, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Good short stories touching various aspects of indian society with unexpected endings :)
Arnab Das
Aug 23, 2013 Arnab Das rated it liked it
Without a doubt this is the most exhaustive collection of Khushwant Singh's short stories. The author is as comfortable writing short stories as he is writing novels. The stories are varied and typical of KS. The penultimate story called "Wanted: A Son" could not have been written by anyone else. If one is a KS fan, this is a must read.
Ankur Chawla
Sep 24, 2012 Ankur Chawla rated it it was ok
not a very exiting collection... may be when he got famous with short stories people didn't had much to read or may be that these stories are from his beginning of his life so not is best work... i am a big fan of his but this is not him... may be he is him in making but definitely not the best work.
Rahul Khanna
Nov 16, 2013 Rahul Khanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library, fiction
I cannot comprehend why people felt restraint while rating this hilarious collection of short stories. When I started reading this book I felt 2 stars are enough but as I reached to last six - comparatively long - short stories my rating augmented to 5 stars with a broad smile on my face.
Jatin Kanwar
Dec 05, 2013 Jatin Kanwar rated it really liked it
This book is an absolute treat for all Indian short fiction admirers . Unlike the writers of the league of Chetan Bhagat , Khushwant Singh is a class apart and caters especially to literary senses of the readers . This book is a collection to 40 of his short stories .
Jassi Dandiwal
Oct 21, 2015 Jassi Dandiwal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting stories

Brilliant writer, has a vast knowledge of different characters of distinguish races. Simply become a fan oh his writings. If you read looking for a best time passing book this is the one.
Soumendu
Well ... After a long long time I read Khuswant Singh ... I like his simple language, the funny bones and ofcourse and amazing Indian narrative .. each of the stories can make you laugh, think and enjoy ... an amazing read
Lakshmi  Satish
Feb 04, 2013 Lakshmi Satish rated it liked it
Its a good book.Its shows how relationships between the older generation and the younger one can get strained in time and also because of modernization especially in Indian villages.
Harpreet Singh
Jul 23, 2012 Harpreet Singh rated it liked it
Description and writing is good. Few stories in the end are two sexually explicit .
Priyanka Bhagat
it is nice story
Niharika Jadav
Feb 16, 2013 Niharika Jadav rated it liked it
nice one
Nataly
Nataly marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Nitish
Nitish marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Manjunatha K B
Manjunatha K B marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Reshma
Reshma marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Princy
Princy marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Jeh Agarwal
Jeh Agarwal marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Kanwarpal Singh
Kanwarpal Singh rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Monu
Monu added it
Jun 17, 2016
Meghna Mazumdar
Meghna Mazumdar is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2016
  • Great Stories by Nobel Prize Winners
  • Broken Ties
  • Dust on the mountain
  • The World's Greatest Short Stories
  • Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul: Stories to Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit of Writers
  • Listening: The Forgotten Skill: A Self-Teaching Guide
  • Gandhi: The Man, His People, and the Empire
  • Delhi By Heart: Impressions of a Pakistani Traveller
  • Surzameen
  • Imaginary Homelands: Essays and Criticism 1981-1991
Khushwant Singh, (Punjabi: ਖੁਸਵੰਤ ਸਿੰਘ, Hindi: खुशवंत सिंह) born on 2 February 1915 in Hadali, British India, now a part of Punjab, Pakistan, was a prominent Indian novelist and journalist. Singh's weekly column, "With Malice towards One and All", carried by several Indian newspapers, was among the most widely-read columns in the country.

An important post-colonial novelist writing in English, Sing
More about Khushwant Singh...