The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  178,077 ratings  ·  19,268 reviews
"If you ain't scared, you ain't human."

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ev...more
Published August 24th 2010 by Delacorte Press (first published October 6th 2009)

Matched by Ally CondieFallen by Lauren KateDelirium by Lauren OliverMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsShiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Books That Are Becoming Movies & TV Shows
10th out of 264 books — 416 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Maze Runner by James DashnerDivergent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Best Dystopian Novels
2nd out of 46 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Izzy
Jan 23, 2012 Izzy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: tween boys
Shelves: ya, wanted-to-like-it
This book was recommended for fans of the Hunger Games series, a series that has become one of my favorites. I began The Maze Runner excitedly, hoping for an equally enjoyable, dystopian adventure. I didn't find it.

The plot was intriguing and kept me reading; in fact, it was probably the only reason why I kept reading. Some writers are able to seamlessly integrate characterization and good writing with a fast-moving plot; James Dashner is not one of them. The pacing is strange, and Dashner's use...more
Tatiana
Mar 18, 2010 Tatiana rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: those who look for a mediocre sci-fi/dystopia kind of read
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
This book would have been great IF:

1) the characters had some personality

2) the main character - Thomas - weren't such a Gary Stu and showed some character development and growth instead of conveniently "remembering" important information to advance the plot

3) the book weren't filled with atrocious made-up slang - "shuck-face," really, is this supposed to be cool?

4) the villains - Grievers - were actually scary or dangerous

5) the maze had some kind of mystery about it and not limited to moving w...more
Joe
You know how sometimes you're running really fast from a horrible creature and, in a moment of panic, you turn around to see how close it is only to run straight into a brick wall?

I don't know what that's like either.

But that inattention to detail would probably totally screw you over because a.) now you're knocked unconscious and b.) the creature is going to devour you. Good job.

I guess this is kind of like Lot's wife looking back on Sodom only to be turned into a pillar of salt.

And it is...more
Cara
Jan 03, 2014 Cara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people who don't mind their brain getting twisted
Reading this book + No sleep= brain shock . Oh more like my brain was blown into freaking little bits. I kept thinking about it after I was done. I finished it into the late hours of the night and I kept circling in my head what was going to happen next. The point is moot but I am definitely going to read the sequel The Scorch Trials.

From the start as the reader we have NO idea what is happening. All Thomas can remember is his name. Not where he came from or any specific details of his life. Nei...more
Sparrow
Mar 24, 2012 Sparrow rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: fans of the ending of LOST
Q: if you could edit this book, what would you take out?
A: the words.

. . .

Have you ever had an eight-year-old kid try to describe to you winning a level of a video game? Have you ever had a middle-aged man try to describe to you completing the games section of the New York Times? Did those experiences involve multiple conversations like this:

“What is the maze?”
“Stop asking so many questions!”

I have to say that this book was more boring than having someone tell you in painful detail about winnin...more
Heather
At first I was a bit put out with this book. I don’t know what it is about male authors, but they can be down right infuriating. Men truly do think on a different wave length and speak another language than women. I was becoming rather frustrated with the lack of information being given, and I wasn’t sure I would be able to endure that sort of aggravation for 300 plus pages. Luckily around page 60 or so, Dashner hit his stride and I became enthralled with this story.

It’s so difficult to write a...more
Wendy Darling
A premise full of promise, but after 150 pages, how can there still be no answers? Deliberately withholding information becomes frustrating not only for the protagonist, but for the reader as well. The fact that Thomas does not demand more answers from his fellow captives makes it difficult to sympathize with or care what happens to him. The spoilers for the book make it sound intriguing, but I can't wade through another 200 pages before it gets to the point.

Aside from a few physical difference...more
Nic
I've just finished and all I can say is holy shuck! This book is awesome!

I was a little bit scared when I started this book that I wasn't going to like it as it is my first real dystopia/sci-fi book I've read. After about 110 pages it got to the point where I couldn't put it down for anything even while eating dinner I had it one hand and when bedtime came I wanted to stay up all night and read it.

The plot was fast paced, suspenseful and full of suprises. The twists and turns this book took sho...more
Ellie
3.5

Well. There was....well, first of all, I have to get a cup of water because I have a major headache.

*Goes to get cup of water*
*Returns*

Aah. Much better.

Okay, first second of all, my friend recommended this book. So I requested it, and (foolish me) left it lying on the table where I do my homework, in plain sight of my parents. Oops. So THEN my dad says, at dinner:
"Oh, Ellie, by the way--I borrowed that book of yours, Runner? Or something?"
*gulps nervously* "The Maze Runner?"
"Yeah, that's it....more
Inge
EDIT 09/05/2013

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Holy crap, that looks perfect.

I am way better at writing reviews for books I hated, but I’m gonna give it a go anyway.

Okay. Breathe, Inge, breathe.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Oh, this is gooooood.

The Maze Runner was like a breath of fresh air to me. I needed a nice, clean cut from the typical YA books filled with whiny protagonists, insta-love and love triangles, and I got exactly what I asked for. This book is like a giant puzzle that you solve along with the characters. It is filled with unexpected t...more
mark monday
[oblique spoilers ahead]

A is for Apocalypse! A modern craze; a timeless fantasy. What shall bring us to this place? Can there be life after such an event? And if so… what kind of life would that be?

B is for Banzai! “Banzai” is a traditional Japanese exclamation meaning “ten thousand years”. A Banzai charge is a last, desperate charge.

C is for Cube! “Cube” is a 1997 film by Vincenzo Natali. The characters in this film are trapped in a kind of maze, and must pass from one cube-shaped room to a...more
Forrest
Preamble: I apologize up front about the spoilers in this review. They are hidden, but if you don't want to know some of the spoilers, don't click on them! Fair warning!

Review: I read this at the encouragement of one of my kids, who dearly loves this book. So let me state right up front, buddy, I'm glad you loved this book. Now I'm going to express my opinion. Please remember that we're all allowed to have our opinions, even if mine is wrong.

Now, I didn't hate The Maze Runner by any means. But...more
Becky
I love mazes (and labyrinths, although they are technically something entirely different), but for some reason, when this book came out I wrote it off, thinking that it would be a sort of juvenile adventure story, and not really my thing. I didn't know anything about it, but the title just didn't call to me.

So when I finally did get around to reading it, even after many, many people have told me how great it is, I was still impressed by how awesome it is.

Oh awesomeness, let me count the ways:...more
Monica!
I’m sorry, Maze Runner, because I know you have a fairly rabid fan base, but I… did not like you.

::: ducks flying objects thrown by vengeful Maze Runner addicts :::

Seriously? This was one of the flattest, most blah books I have read in a long while, and although in its defense I might have had my expectations set too high based on word of mouth, overall I was unmoved, unchallenged, and unimpressed.

Partly, while I thought the descriptions of the maze and the Grievers were awesome, the plot lacked...more
Emily May
Well, let's just say I will be checking Amazon every day waiting for part 2 to be released. This is one of those books that leaves you desperate for more, gives you just enough so you're never bored but always manages to maintain mystery and tension. I found myself deeply attached to the wonderful array of characters and wanted more than anything that they would all make it out of the maze alive. I was pleasantly surprised by the development of Chuck's character; at first I imagined he would sim...more
Annalisa
If Dashner got anything right, he delivered with the suspense. The writing can be a little dry and non-descript (maybe it's a guy thing), but once I became involved with the story, I didn't want to put it down. My problem with the book is that Dashner sometimes sacrificed the story for the suspense. It didn't always feel organic, the character choices and the plot direction, and it made me pull out of the story a little. Also, because he built up the suspense so much, the story didn't always del...more
Neal Shusterman
I enjoyed the Maze Runner, but not as much as I wanted to. It was a great concept, and the story was compelling, the characters and plot twists interesting, and there was no limit to Dashner’s creativity. My big problem was that the characters were manipulated by the story, and not the other way around.
There were so many times when the characters would have figured things out. They’re supposed to be brilliant kids, and yet they are continually clueless about things that are pretty obvious to th...more
Scarlet
Phew! What a ride that was!

If you have ever wondered how something can thrill you to the bone , I highly recommend you read The Maze Runner. This book consumed me. While I might have used that expression before, I have never meant it as much as I do now.

Reading The Maze Runner was like being sucked into a massive black hole of paranoia, suspense, fright, adrenaline, disbelief, shock... I have spent the last two days in a frenzy of pacing and freaking out, and occasionally shuddering (no, I serio...more
Morgan F
Thomas wakes up in a lift with no other memory besides his first name. The lift deposits him in the Glade, a large courtyard surrounded by impossibly high stone walls. The Glade is populated by teenage boys in the same situation as him, they also have no memory. But they have made a life for themselves in this place, their only hope is trying to solve the maze that surrounds the walls. The Maze is a dangerous place, filled with terrifying half-machine/half-slug monsters that exist solely to stin...more
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
You know the moment you are reading a book and you are hooked? You NEED to know what is going on....you are desperate. Your heart starts pounding, you can't breathe easily, you are gasping for air, anxiety takes hold of you, and you are on the edge of your seat? Please tell me that I am not the only one....although that does sound mildly reminsicent of my asthma attack last year at kickboxing class...but I digress. This crazy edge of my seat, NEED TO KNOW NOW experience was how I felt about this...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
This is one of those dystopian thriller stories, where something very, very bad has happened to the world, but you don't know what. With teenagers.

Thomas regains consciousness in an elevator that deposits him in this enormous clearing being lived in by a group of teen boys. He maybe was there before, but he's not saying. (I didn't like how coy Thomas was, even with himself. In fact, I didn't much like Thomas.) Surrounding this clearing are these crazy maze walls that move around at night, and in...more
Whitley Birks
See the chapter x chapter breakdown on my blog

As if the simplistic and "tell-y" writing in this book weren't bad enough, we also have to content with some truly atrocious pacing, inconsistent characterization, logic gaps out the wazoo, a Gary Stu of a main character, and an ending that kicks this book up into whole new levels of WTFery.

The majority of this book is people jealously withholding information that gets revealed a few chapters later, which makes it painfully obvious that all the not-t...more
Everley Sharp, the Clankinist
OH. My. God. THIS WAS AMAY-ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or rather, a-MAZE-ing. Geddit?
Mohammed Arabey
As in Harry Potter Grades system...
Exceed Expectations

Didn't expect I'd Like it that much
اولا الموضوع
*********
الروايه فعلا فاقت توقعاتي..الاول فوجئت ان اللغه سهله جدا "يمكن اسرع روايه انجليزي اقراها" حسيت ان اكيد لانها مكتوبه لفئه عمريه معينه
بعد كده بدات فعلا الاحداث تشدني...تبدا بغموض ويفضل الغموض ينكشف بعد كل فصل لغايه ماتحس انها متوقعه

ففي بدايه الاحداث بيفوق بطل الروايه "توماس"ويلاقي نفسه في مجتمع في مكان غريب محاط باسوار ..مجتمع كله اولاد تحت العشرون سنه
لا يتذكر اي شئ عن ماضيه..ولا عائلته
Flannery
Reasons Ienjoyed reading this book
1. It's a fast-paced, interesting plot
2. You're hooked from the beginning
3. The concept is rather original

Reasons I didn't enjoy reading this book
1. I did not like reading it on the recommendation that it is like The Hunger Games. I think I would've enjoyed it more if I was not making the comparisons.
2. I couldn't picture what a Griever would look like
3. "Good that?"
***SPOILERS***
4. These kids are supposed to be extremely intelligent? I don't believe it.
“…sometimes you don’t look very hard for things you don’t believe will or can happen”

When your path in life appears to have more questions and confusion than answers, how do you keep going? How do you keep dreaming, hoping and searching when everything is so unclear, dark and hopeless? Well…welcome to life in the Glade!

The Glade is a place of unknowns. A world, with no sense of time or place in the universe, populated with teenage boys all trying to solve and get out of a maze that seems to surr...more
Hannah
Let me first confess that I don't read alot of dystopian YA fiction (more like almost nil), so my rating and my review of this book is certainly not anchored in any real appreciation or understanding for this genre. The only other series I can compare The Maze Runner with is The Hunger Games, and this is definitely no Hunger Games IMO. I think I was very lucky to be recommended The Hunger Games, as that series seems to set a high standard in the dystopian genre, and one that even neophyte reader...more
Camille
Good night, this was so...
It was amazing. So intense, I was gripping the book, excited to find out how it ended. I read this in one day, not even that. I started it around 4:00 pm, and finished around 7:00 pm. Oh man! It was great! This book had everything, there was mystery, suspense, horror, a little humor. I felt this book was far too short, I wanted more, and I'm very happy this is a series, cause I want more. That is a first, well second, my wanting a book to be a series.
Well written, I lo...more
Ariel
Apr 08, 2013 Ariel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
My experience with this book turned out to be a unique one: for most of the book I was thinking that it had some redeeming ideas but that it just wasn't good enough, but the last third really turned everything around. Let's discuss.

I bought this book over a year ago because of the Dystopia craze.. having read so much dystopia though, I wasn't able to pick it up. It's been a while though, and I picked it up at a time where I was excited for it which turned out for the best.

I was first stricken wi...more
Thomas
Oops, I deleted this one from my shelves on accident. And my review is gone. Darn.

Well, this book is pretty much amazing in an adrenaline rush way. Very, very good, especially for reluctant male readers. Although I wouldn't limit it to them, as this book is spectacular for people anyone interested in a thrilling story.

The main character's name is perfect, by the way. Great choice for a great protagonist.
What do we (Maze Runner fans) call ourselves? 197 637 7 hours, 32 min ago
#bestYAbooks: Book of the Month: April 2014 4 3 16 hours, 50 min ago
The Maze Runner: What visuals would you like to see from The Maze Runner, when it becomes a movie? 10 44 Apr 14, 2014 06:17PM
LATEST pics and GIFS of the Cast and of the Maze Runner! 104 159 Apr 14, 2014 05:06PM
TMR WORD GAME! 2 6 Apr 13, 2014 10:55PM
  • This World We Live In (Last Survivors, #3)
  • The Sun Dwellers (The Dwellers, #3)
  • The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)
  • Origin
  • A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
  • Enclave (Razorland, #1)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Champion (Legend, #3)
  • Free Four: Tobias Tells the Story (Divergent, #1.5)
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • Solitary (Escape From Furnace, #2)
  • Partials (Partials, #1)
  • Dark Life (Dark Life, #1)
  • Incarceron (Incarceron, #1)
  • After: Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • The Limit
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.
More about James Dashner...
The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) The Kill Order (Maze Runner, #0) The Journal of Curious Letters (The 13th Reality, #1) The Hunt for Dark Infinity (The 13th Reality, #2)

“You are the shuckiest shuck faced shuck in the world!” 587 likes