Start by marking “Winter Duty (Vampire Earth #8)” as Want to Read:
Winter Duty (Vampire Earth #8)

Winter Duty (Vampire Earth #8)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,137 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Major David Valentine and his fugitive battalion are the remnants of an expeditionary force shattered in its long retreat from disaster in the Appalachians. And Valentine is losing allies fast. Some of the clans in the region have declared themselves in favor of the vampiric Kurians, throwing Kentucky into civil war. But instead of retaking the region, the Kurian overlords ...more
Published July 6th 2010 by Roc (first published May 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Duty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Duty

2.5 rounded up to 3 stars because I have enjoyed the series so much over the years. In a way, it's very realistic, perhaps too much so. It's not going anywhere very fast. Valentine is becoming a beat up, used up, old man & still hasn't hit 30. Considering what he's facing, that does make sense, but it's not making for a great story especially after the build up of the first few books where he gained extra powers. I keep expecting to see some more of that to help the story along, but I've bee ...more
Oct 22, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
More of a 3.5 or a bit better. Knight handles quite a few different themes & plot lines in this book, as the rest. We're back in Kentucky with the leg worms & their clans. Not as much about them, but he has a lot of other issues to deal with, especially at the end. Wow. Nonstop.

I didn't like a couple of things. Don't read further if you haven't read the previous books.
---------- Danger, spoilers for earlier in the series ------

Complaint: He got half-assed turned into a bear. He's a wolf,
Jul 22, 2015 Suz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, audio, scifi
The story wasn't any better or worse than any of the other stories, but the long arc feels like it's stalled.
Oct 10, 2011 Joseph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in this series that really disappointed me. Most of the other books are interesting, thought out quests of somewhat epic scope. Traveling across the country, fighting unbelievable odds, putting up with ungodly smells, deprivations, and corruptions of the human spirit.

This one is pretty much "take mix of characters who have popped up from last book, add conniving manipulative mother with a thirst for power, go run around in the snow with some werewolf zombies, and at the e
Winter Duty was not quite as good as the the other books in Vampire Earth. Maybe it was that it didn't feel as epic as some of the other books. Valentine decides to stay behind when Southern Command pulls out of Kentucky. He gets wrapped up in going back down the army's route picking up the wounded that they left with their allies across Kentucky. There are a few action scenes, but nothing as exciting or crazy as any of the other books.
We hear mention of Ahn-Kha but he still isn't in the book.
Nov 29, 2009 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pulled off Santa Monica's 'New Releases' shelves because it had a twinge of the original Fallout story to it, I soon found it contained very little of the post-apocalyptic aura and gusto I was hoping for. Instead it read like a modernized civil war novel (certain technology/processes in plentiful or scarce supply at the choice of the author) with dashes of political drama and plenty of sexual reference without any of the act ever taking place.

As the end nears, what was a slow-paced battle agains
An Odd1
Jun 22, 2011 An Odd1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
** "Winter Duty" (VE8) by E. E. Knight continues exploits of brave David Valentine, helped by fellow Cat (espionage skilled warrior), Alyssa after a 2022 alien invasion. I like straightforward combat and clever outwitting, not repeated treachery, or sidetracking reminiscences. I am ambivalent on his softer side, good to recruit allies, bad to leave danger open. Why are the good guys always pushed down more?
[First his trademark rescue of bandit captives. Then typical reward, night ambush beating
Richard Jacoby
EE Knight is like a young Bernard Cornwell who exists in the SF/Fantasy universe. His Age of Fire and Vampire Earth series are enthralling.

I hate to say this, however, but "Winter Duty" and "Fall with Honor" seemed somehow lacking in plot. Valentine is getting old and tired (at the age of 30). These books lack the neat plot structure which made "Tale of the Thuderbolt" and "Valentine's Rising" such great reads.

I think Knight should do like Steve Perry did in the "Matador" series and start switc
Fantasy Literature
E.E. Knight’s Vampire Earth is one of the most interesting military fantasy series around. Watching the maturation and evolution of the main character David Valentine has been very intriguing because Knight has done the right things. Val has been through the proverbial wringer in terms of losing friends, getting hurt, and dealing with leaders who are more concerned with their own career than doing the right things for the Soldiers they lead. In many ways, Knight’s tongue-in-cheek commentary on b ...more
Scot McAtee
It feels like Knight had a new editor on this book. The wording, the phrasing, all were different from previous books. While it was rather distracting, I can overlook that but this series has been a great read from the start. Alas, it seems that it might be running out of steam. Knight seemed to back away from the action scenes in this book, where in the others, he ran into them full steam. The title was appropriate-- not much really happened. There was a lot of potential here and 'Jack in the B ...more
Apr 18, 2011 Elke rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of the series, and my expectations for this sequel were high. So you can imagine how disappointed I was after reading the first half and finding it...boring. David Valentine has become old and tired, and the story is going slow as if in winter sleep.
But then, just when I was starting to get angry with the author for presenting such a lolame w story, I found myself thrown into a new gripping adventure. I really loved the end where the ravies are brought in, leaving so many possibi
Jul 16, 2014 Marcus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's sad to say but I haven't enjoyed the last two entries in this series as much as the first few books...seems like there is a lot more time spent on setting up the action and that the action is very brief and simple with a majority if the events happening away from valentine and just mentioned in passing. I find myself reminiscing about the great events of the past books as much as valentine. Also, the resistance doesn't seem to be accomplishing much against the kurian order...maybe tha ...more
John Doe
Jul 20, 2009 John Doe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not much to say, I've absolutely adored every other E.E. Knight book I've come upon. This was a real disappointment, the climax didn't feel like the climax, just part of the build up. There was a huge amount of suspense, large warnings about danger and ruin-and where was it? There was a final small skirmish to end the book.

I love Knight's other work, but comparing Winter Duty to his other Vampire Earth books is just embarrassing.
Nate Hendrix
Nov 09, 2011 Nate Hendrix rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read the entire book because I didn't want to miss something that might be important in the rest of the series. Winter Duty was dissapointing it was like it was a bridge to something that was going to happen later. The end revealed that there was a story going on the entire time that we were unaware of. I hope his next book is better.
Aug 30, 2009 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Another solid entry in the VAMPIRE EARTH series. I have enjoyed this series since day one. I really like the character of David Valentine and the near future he inhabits. I did feel a little like the book while moving along nicely didn't really kick into high gear until the end. That said, the book left me anxious to read the next volume when it comes out.
Barbara Ghylin
I am waiting to see what kind of trouble David Valentine and friends can get into this time. Old enemies are showing up again and things could get harry in a hurry.
I am marking this one as read because I will finish it later today. I am a little bored with this as the same things keep happening over and over again. I will probably read something else after this one.
Feb 12, 2011 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
It's decent action/adventure mil-SF. If you liked his last few books, you'll like this one. If you thought the last few books were just dragging things out without accomplishing much of anything, you'll feel the same about this one.

Unfortunately, I fall into the latter camp, so I think I'm done with this series for a while.
Aaron Anderson
This series just doesn't seem to ever get anywhere. All that really happens is Valentine gets more scars/limps or whatever. I suppose some areas that Kurians used to inhabit are now neutral or free territory, but still. I doubt I'll ever come back to this series. I read to current, and am left blah-ed out.
Jul 25, 2010 Roger rated it liked it
This is a fair book made better by being part of the continuing story of this series. The characters did not seem to develop as much as in previous books, it seemed that maybe the author has decided he has a good thing going and wants to just extend the series as opposed to moving it forward to a possible conclusion.
Jonathan Pettit
May 02, 2013 Jonathan Pettit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another fine Vampire Earth novel. David Valentine continues to find himself in the most trouble possible. Still plenty of military and adventure action as the previous. Will continue to read the series.
James Johnson
Still decent, exciting at points, but it feels more like filler to put in between the last and next book. Hard to recommend, but if you've read the rest of the series you'll probably read this anyways.
Jul 26, 2011 Bryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bit lackluster, but still entertaining. Since the next book is only in hardcover, I must bid David Valentine good bye for now.
Heather Cox
Jul 22, 2009 Heather Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by this author - continuing saga that brings action in the face of adversity. Recommended read.
Mar 08, 2011 Hunter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This may be part of a series because it was very confusing. Many details were not explained, and many discussions referred to events that didn't occur in the book.
Alex Walker
Mar 26, 2013 Alex Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i hate to say it but as much as i love this series, i need some larger story movements. that being said, Knight is an amazing author and this series is worth a read.
Nov 28, 2011 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one better than the last, but still I hope that Knight is gearing up toward a finale soon.
Benjamin rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2011
Roy Mcdonald
Roy Mcdonald rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Hd DeLeon
Hd DeLeon rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2010
  • Dominion (Dracula Series, #5)
  • Harry Keogh and Other Weird Heroes (Necroscope, #14)
  • Orphan's Journey (Jason Wander, #3)
  • Child of a Dead God (Noble Dead: Series 1, #6)
  • The Council of Shadows (Shadowspawn, #2)
  • City Without End (Entire and the Rose, #3)
  • Germline
  • When Duty Calls (Legion, #8)
  • Plague War (Plague, #2)
  • Afterage
  • The Road to Hell is Paved With Zombies (Zombie Fighter Jango, #1)
  • The Unincorporated War
  • Recoil (Starfist: Force Recon, #3)
  • Dust
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)

Vampire Earth (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Way of the Wolf (Vampire Earth #1)
  • Choice of the Cat (Vampire Earth #2)
  • Tale of the Thunderbolt (Vampire Earth #3)
  • Valentine's Rising (Vampire Earth #4)
  • Valentine's Exile (Vampire Earth, #5)
  • Valentine's Resolve (Vampire Earth, #6)
  • Fall with Honor (Vampire Earth, #7)
  • March in Country (Vampire Earth, #9)
  • Appalachian Overthrow (Vampire Earth, #10)
  • Baltic Gambit: A Novel of the Vampire Earth (Vampire Earth, #11)