Start by marking “Eighteen Acres (Charlotte Kramer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eighteen Acres (Charlotte Kramer, #1)

Eighteen Acres (Eighteen Acres Trilogy #1)

3.48  ·  Rating Details ·  2,150 Ratings  ·  364 Reviews
From the former Communications Director for the White House and current political media strategist comes a suspenseful and smart commercial novel about the first female president and all dramas and deceptions she faces both in politics and in love.

Eighteen Acres, a description used by political insiders when referring to the White House complex, follows the first female Pr
Published October 19th 2010 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Eighteen Acres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eighteen Acres

Lauren Cecile
Mar 02, 2017 Lauren Cecile rated it liked it
It's ok. Have to remember that she is just a political insider, not a great novelist.
April Plummer
Nov 27, 2010 April Plummer rated it liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
I enjoyed this book, though I think the premise is why I gave it only 3 stars.

The things I liked:

I liked that even though I wanted to hate Dale and Peter, the two carrying on an extramarital affair, I couldn't. I empathized with them for some reason, despite the fact that my first marriage ended because of my husband's affair. I think this speaks well of Wallace's writing ability.

I also empathized with Charlotte and Melanie. I loved Charlotte being the first woman president and thought her story
Holly
Dec 20, 2010 Holly rated it did not like it
I had hopes that the author, a Washington insider, would provide an interesting story of the first woman president. What I found was thinly disguised "chick lit" that never became a Harlequin romance novel but basically never became a book worth reading either. Boring and just never captured my attention fully. I kept reading it in hopes that it would get better but it never did.
Katrina Spencer
Jul 04, 2011 Katrina Spencer rated it really liked it
When I got this book in the mail, I groaned a little. A book about politics? I couldn’t be the least bit interested. Being a retired hairstylist, the two things that were drilled into our head was to not talk about two subjects—religion and politics. But Nicolle Wallace’s debut novel Eighteen Acres, is more about the life in the White House. And my friends, I must admit I was fascinated.

The tale follows three women—Charlotte Kramer, the 45th president of the United States and the first woman to
Ethan
Jun 04, 2015 Ethan rated it it was amazing
Charlotte Kramer is making history. As the first female President of the United States, she faces even greater scrutiny than her predecessors. Working closely with her Secretary of Defense, Charlotte has made great strides in the Middle East. After years of violence and political turmoil, the region prepares to hold its first truly democratic election. Charlotte is proud of the amount of good she has accomplished in her three years on the job, but she knows that she needs to do more to secure a ...more
Joanna
Feb 17, 2011 Joanna rated it it was ok
Eighteen Acres is essentially poli sci chick lit. It's fluffy, it's fun, and it's probably the most frivolous novel about a female president that you'll ever read.

I loved how the story revolved around powerful women - the President, her female Chief of Staff, and a leading White House Correspondent - but also showed a ton of amazing women in orbit around them. The Secretary of State is a woman, the opposition party candidate is a woman, the surprise vice presidential nominee is a woman, etc. Thi
Lyn
Dec 20, 2014 Lyn rated it liked it
It's the week before Christmas and I have come down with the flu and what is beside my bed but Eighteen Acres. It was a quick read and like many who read the book stated, it is chick lit with a political spin to it. It kept me turning the pages to see what was going on but it was more like a good movie than great literature. After a visit to the White House just a few years ago, it was fun to read about the inside structure and some of the things that go on in there. I don't know whether the boo ...more
Samantha Janning
Sep 25, 2011 Samantha Janning rated it really liked it
While I can’t say politics are my niche, I was looking forward to reading the debut by Nicolle Wallace, Eighteen Acres. A story about the first female president and all the adversities she must face, I knew I wanted to get this on my list. Charlotte Kramer, forty-fifth president of the United States, is up for reelection and it is up to her and friend/White House chief of staff Melanie Kingston to ensure she stays in office for a second term. Melanie, who has spent fifteen years working in the W ...more
Tara Chevrestt
Jan 26, 2015 Tara Chevrestt rated it liked it
Shelves: pbs
This is going to be a short review. While I enjoyed the book for the most part, it didn't really impact me much, neither in a good way nor a bad.

In this novel, we me Charlotte Kramer, the first woman president of the U.S. This series caught my eye on Edelweiss where book three was posted. I picked this up so I would understand what was going on in book three and because it interested me.

It felt strange to me, this novel, like it was a sequel. But this is book one. I liked what there was of Charl
Chance Lee
Like William Henry Harrison, my term with this book has been cut short. I didn't finish it.
Somewhere I read a formula for how much of a shot you should give a book. 100 - [Your age] = # of pages before giving up.
I exceeded that formula and still just didn't care about any of the characters. Nothing plotwise has happened. It's mostly flashbacks which don't really add depth to the characters. I flipped ahead to page 200, and the book had the same meandering, sluggish feel. No urgency. I can forgi
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Nov 10, 2011 Anne (Booklady) Molinarolo rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Former G W Bush Communications Director Nicole Wallace takes into the 18 acre White House Complex of the 1st female President, Charlotte Kramer, her Chief of Staff, Melanie Kingston, and White House TV Correspondent, Dale Smith. All three are complex and powerful. Kramer is running for re-election. Her poll numbers are down. The economy is in the tank, her marriage is troubled. Whispered rumors, among the White House Press Corp, are someone in the First Family is having an affair. Dale
Rhonda
Jan 05, 2011 Rhonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
This was a great novel, I had never heard of it before...a friend gave it to me. Surprised this isn't more well-known. The story revolves around three main female characters...Charlotte---President of the United States (yes, for real), Melanie---White House Chief of Staff, and Dale---White House Correspondent. Chapters are told from each woman's point of view. Charlotte is up for re-election and things are heating up...on the home front with her cheating husband, and in Afghanistan when a seriou ...more
Jack
Nov 04, 2010 Jack rated it really liked it
Like many former insiders who decide to write fiction novels based upon their own experience (I am thinking primarily of Richard Clarke), the writing could have used a bit more work and polish as the beginning of the book starts off with some girl talk of Dior purses and Marc Jacob bags. I am not sure if the author was planning to ward off men from reading the book, but thankfully, it never devolves into a Harlequin romance novel. It focuses more on the personal lives of the characters and there ...more
Heather Shugarman
Jan 15, 2011 Heather Shugarman rated it liked it
Shelves: 28-for-28
A handful of people told me they didn't care for the story much, but still recommended I read this because of my love of all things Presidential.

I really enjoyed this book! I enjoy novels which tell overlapping stories through several characters points of view - and that's exactly what this book did. I liked that I constantly was envisioning scenes from The West Wing - what happens every time I read anything set in the White House. I liked that some chapters were 2 pages, and other were 10.

I al
Janice
Oct 31, 2010 Janice rated it it was ok
I've seen Nicolle Wallace on a few talk shows recently and I really wanted to like this book more because I think I really like her.

I think the story's concept is stronger than the final product.

The opening scene really speaks to the story's weakness--i.e. it's a story about women, so we need to toss in obligatory details like designer handbags as a symbol of how powerful women fill the void in their lives with things....the story got better from there, but I can't shake the feeling that the a
Heather
Feb 16, 2016 Heather rated it did not like it
This is the lowest rating I have given a book. I did read the entire 320 pages, and there were perhaps 32 to 60 pages that were worth reading. Characters seemed shallow to me, the plot was rather stitched haphazardly together. I will not be reading any other fiction by the author.
Somewhat familiar with Ms. Wallace as a reporter/journalist and thought I would like this story. I did not.
Elspeth
Jun 28, 2011 Elspeth rated it really liked it
This is a fun, light book set at the White House. If you've spent any time working in DC, or know someone who has, then you'll probably enjoy this book better than someone who hasn't. The author captures some of the crazy spirit of this place pretty well.
Jan 03, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not exactly a literary masterpiece, but an entertaining light read, and a bit of a page turner. It had a bit of a "West Wing" feel to it at times, which I enjoyed. (It's not as good as The West Wing of course, but then, not much is!) I definitely plan to read the sequel.
Anna
Jan 20, 2016 Anna rated it did not like it
I like political intrigue, but this was stupid chick lit. First female President was promising, but this drivel was syrupy, whiny, and one-dimensional.
Ruthie
Jul 20, 2015 Ruthie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
All telling, no showing, poorly developed characters, story lines that jump around and no real sense of what it might be like to be the first female president of the USA.....
kathie rosenblatt
Dec 07, 2010 kathie rosenblatt rated it did not like it
Two words: Danielle Steele.
If I had to read one more time about how someone 'slipped on a pair' of designer shoes or 'fell into his arms' I think I'd wretch. Yuck.
Helene
Jun 07, 2011 Helene rated it it was ok
Disappointing; author was in WH with GWB; it is Danielle Steel at the WH.
Stephanie Tracy
Feb 16, 2017 Stephanie Tracy rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this novel about the fictional first female president of the United States, Charlotte Kramer. Nicolle Wallace (whom I love) paints such a fascinating story of life inside the White House, including the somewhat menial day-to-day tasks of a president (and her chief of staff), as well as the scandalous elements of life in the spotlight. This novel doesn't only follow Charlotte - we also see the story of Melanie, Charlotte's chief of staff, and Dale, Charlotte's husband's lover ( ...more
Jessica
Mar 16, 2017 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I'm into political dramas right now since I'm watching Scandal. The plot is very similar to Scandal...and Scandal is better, just saying. Nicolle Wallace could've made the plot twist a lot more than she did. I plan on reading the second one to see if it's any better but I may not waste my time on the third...
Drew
Jan 20, 2017 Drew rated it really liked it
Exceptional alternative to watching the inauguration today. Feels like an accurate Washington insider story. More warts and all than The West Wing but still with an optimistic view of the most powerful people in the country.
Pamela Thorpe
Mar 13, 2017 Pamela Thorpe rated it it was ok
I completed the book which is saying a lot. I feel like it dragged a bit and the ending was truly a let down. There is a good cast of characters who could be developed on a much deeper level. Hopefully the author will do a better character development and plot line in her next attempt.
Gina
Jan 30, 2017 Gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Politics, A political crisis, romance and the first female president -- what more could you want? It's a page turner for sure
Ari
Dec 30, 2016 Ari rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
IQ "There was no room to forgive, because we don't have a box for that in November. We cut him out like a cancer because he traded one life for another, right?" Charlotte, 249

From what I can tell what this book lacks in stellar writing, it makes up for it with stunning accuracy of life as a White House staffer. It's a bit painful to read about the first woman president, something I thought I could handle. But it's pretty clear Charlotte is based on HRC and watching her struggle and get moments t
Jessica
Jan 09, 2017 Jessica rated it really liked it
Very easy read! I enjoyed the inside view of politics. A little light but loved the fast pace of the book. Will be reading the next book!
Crystal
Jan 04, 2017 Crystal rated it it was amazing
I am not always a huge fan of political themed novels but I absolutely loved this book! Could not put it down. Can't wait to read the next one in the series.
  • Discretion (Anna Curtis, #2)
  • Eyes Like Mine
  • Who Is Barack Obama?
  • Straight Flushed (A Hot Pursuit Novel, #1)
  • The Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle
  • Red, White & Screwed
  • Wherever Grace Is Needed
  • Sammy's House (Samantha Joyce, #2)
  • Believe in America: Mitt Romney's Plan for Jobs and Economic Growth
  • The Last Election
  • The Normal Heart & The Destiny of Me (two plays)
  • O: A Presidential Novel
  • KBL: Kill Bin Laden
  • The Gods of Greenwich
  • Nixon's Darkest Secrets: The Inside Story of America's Most Troubled President
  • Blue Stars
  • What Lies Behind (Dr. Samantha Owens, #4)
Nicolle Wallace is a bestselling author and political commentator who appears regularly on news programs such as ABC’s Good Morning America, Fox News’ Sean Hannity and Morning Joe on MSNBC.

Wallace, who served as communications chief for George W. Bush’s White House and re-election campaign, was credited with “injecting a tremendous amount of realism” into White House deliberations. According to th
More about Nicolle Wallace...

Eighteen Acres Trilogy (3 books)
  • It's Classified (Charlotte Kramer, #2)
  • Madam President (Charlotte Kramer, #3)

“shots of her fielding questions from the” 0 likes