Start by marking “Dialogues of Plato” as Want to Read:
Dialogues of Plato

Dialogues of Plato

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  8,171 ratings  ·  132 reviews

ENDURING LITERATURE ILLUMINATED BY PRACTICAL SCHOLARSHIP

In these influential dialogues—Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo, Symposium—Plato employs the dialectic method to examine the trial and death of his mentor, Socrates, and address the eternal questions of human existence.

THIS ENRICHED CLASSIC EDITION INCLUDES:

• A concise introduction that gives the reader impo

Published December 21st 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Dialogues of Plato, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Dylan Mcarthur
Mar 02, 2015 Dylan Mcarthur rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
The dialogues of Plato have helped renew my faith in life and humanity. In college I learned that 1) there is no truth, 2) every assertion is merely someone's perspective and 3) all meaningful inquiry involves a deconstruction of someone else's thoughts (i.e. someone deluded enough not to know that there isn't any truth and that all is perspective). Plato believed in reason, in the reality of goodness (i.e., the better choice), and in the value of the struggle to understand ourselves and the wor ...more
max
In Greek literature, there are many authors whose substantive ideas and technical literary skills are breathtaking. Purely in terms of influence -- by which I mean the degree to which a particular author has reconfigured the intellectual landscape for future generations -- it is undisputed that the two greatest writers in the Greek literary tradition are Homer and Plato. Plato took philosophy to an entirely new level, and few if any philosophers who wrote subsequently have matched the extraordin ...more
Tim
It's practically a Bible.
Anthony

Many reviewers have noted how this book is the Bible of Plato. They are correct.

I recommend this book for anyone who plans to study Plato in-depth. Containing all the extant works of Plato, this book will not disappoint those who want to experience all of Plato's thought. Most pages have footnotes explaining unclear references to historical places, or other important concepts.

The introduction is superb, providing details to approaching the writings of Plato. It is a helpful guide for those who
Mark
Aug 14, 2007 Mark rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: other
Socrates says "The unexamined life is not worth living." Yet this book actually shows that an examined dialogue is not worth believing. The general format of the Socratic dialogues is:
Socrates: Incorrect fact #1.
Friend: Obviously, Socrates.
Socrates: Correct fact #2.
Friend: Of course, Socrates.
Socrates: 1 + 2 = 3. And a half.
Friend: You are so wise Socrates.

Since the arguments are so blatantly made up, it is hard to give any credence to the conclusions. Which is a shame because he espouses
Erik Graff
Nov 11, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Kelly Fox
Shelves: philosophy
Jowett's translations are to Plato as King James' committee was to the English bible, viz. as standards against which future efforts are judged.

The first time I actually sat down to read all of Plato, authentic and spurious, was for a course at Loyola University. That was the Hamilton edition. I had, however, read much of Jowett previously and, indeed, much of Jowett is to be found recycled in Hamilton.

The first serious exposure I had to Plato was through Jowett's voice and it occurred during th
Wilbert
Ok, been throwing myself in at the deep end with this one.

I know, Plato/Socrates are best known by quotation.
Still, my absolute lack in knowledge of philosophy had me hesitant, since I tend to read cover to cover (and everything in between)....
But hey, a gift, nice hard cover, inviting typeface, sound introduction.
(and my weak spot for 'big' books, sorry to iPad)

I will surely re-read much of this tome.
In the first place because of its unrivalled value as a dictate of humanity.
Also, because I can
Richard Newton
This is a brilliant edition of Plato's collected works, which is excellent value for money. Of course, you can probably buy them all very cheaply in an eBook format now - but the hard-copy is easier to use if you are studying and therefore need to make cross references regularly. There are many many gems here, and you do not have to love everything about Plato to get huge value from this book.

The only drawback is the sheer size of the book - which is simply a result of Plato's prodigious output
R X
May 09, 2008 R X marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've read up to The Republic, which I've already read. I'm not sure what's after that. High Point: Crito.
Michelle Young
made me think too much! philosophy just spurs on more questions.
JP
Contains Apology, Crito, Phaedo, Protagoras, Meno, Symposium, and Gorgias. In general, these are considered the primary component of Plato's early works, in which he expounds that learned from his teacher Socrates. The arguments seem somewhat simplistic by today's standards, but the style and logic clearly represent the timeless fame rendered to Socrates. In Apology, Socrates willingly accepts indictment and makes his argument. True to his spirit, he makes adequate defense against both classes o ...more
Jerrid Wolflick
Mar 07, 2013 Jerrid Wolflick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: philosophy, reference
This is one of the finest translations of Plato's works that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Since my Attic Greek is now quite rusty, it is a chore to read Plato in the original (although I did so in High School thus helping me recognize the translation quality). The Foreward is a paean to the greatness and timelessness of Plato's works. It also explains the reason for the order chosen by the editor. The footnotes and editorial notes (marginalia) both help further explain the more obscu ...more
William Crosby
Okay read. Lots of ideas. I did not like his dialogue style with the others who always seemed so agreeable. I disagreed in many places with his arguments and they became tedious to me.
Gerald Jerome
This is a decent compilation and intro to some of Plato's dialogues, though The Republic has been reduced to some of its truncated and finer points. One may not always agree with its conclusions, but the most important thing is that the question was raised. The Socratic method is certainly a worthwhile tool for educating one's self as well as cultivating understanding in others. Even so, as evidenced in these dialogues, it can be easily misapplied (assuming that an objective truth is the goal an ...more
Radit Panjapiyakul
The cleverness of Plato shines through in his writing and his way of proving things. This does not mean that he's always right. His reasonings can be pointed out with many flaws and are not very scientific. Plato argues that there's immortality of the soul (though he should first question if there's such thing as a soul or not). There are lots of talking about gods and the doing of gods. But from the viewpoint of an ancient greek, this could be forgiven.

Many of his ideas are presented here such
Shane
Difficult to get through at points, but a good reminder that not much has changed in terms if human society. Also interesting that some of the themes of myths told by socrates are being verified by science today.
Paul
What's to say? It's Plato: a philosophical classic. I went through this book with a guy who got his PhD under the editor, John Cooper (Princeton). That made it for accessible and illuminating, especially for someone who doesn't consider himself into "ancient philosophy."
Cynthia Egbert
I love reading Plato and since silly Socrates did not/would not write, this is the closest I can come to him. I never get tired of reading and pondering Plato's cave!
Donny
I'm a philosophy major. Every philosopher I've ever read is really only writing a response to this.
Sungmin Park
Feb 05, 2015 Sungmin Park is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
One of comments.. which is funny.. but I like it..

============================================================================
This book was required for my second year Plato class. I will never forget the first words my professor said about this collection. "a great addition to any bookshelf. It will impress your friends and frighten your enemies... should you grant them access to your bookshelf.
Billie Pritchett
Not every dialogue in Plato's Complete Works is thrilling, and some are in fact downright boring and difficult to get through. Nevertheless, it's no exaggeration to say that Plato's dialogues are a cornerstone to Western and world-historical thought. I read these dialogues in the order they were presented in the book, but if I had it to do over again, I think I would have read the dialogues in the order in which Plato would have intended them to have been read. More on that in a moment, but firs ...more
Briana
There's a reason why Plato's stuck around for so long.

Socrates reminds me of Columbo sometimes. He asks questions ("Just one more thing..."), and he acts like he doesn't really know, but you can just hear the wheels turning as he puts things together.

Honestly, I don't remember what I got out of Symposium because I read it almost 6 months ago...but I took notes, so...oh, Diotima's Ladder was very interesting, even though I don't think I got all of it. But seeing it come back in Augustine was pr
Matt
Having finally read this from cover to cover (with the exception of The Republic to which I went to Allan Bloom’s translation) one cannot help but feel some sense of achievement. The purist in me loves that the entire corpus of Plato’s works is easily accessible in one volume. But I wouldn’t recommend reading Plato: Complete Works as I have.

To read Plato, and actually digest Plato, is not an easy task. At times, I am not ashamed to admit that it’s a chore. Though the Complete Works contain short
Craig Williams
Good god, how I hated this book. A coworker saw me reading this, and was absolutely flabbergasted I was reading it "recreationally". She gave me a high five for my effort, and now I know why: this book is a fucking bear to read. While it was interesting to read how enlightened the Greek civilization was, and some of the political and social ideas of the time, it was also very, very boring. My eyes would glaze over with each page, and my brain would shut down. Socrates was, no doubt, a master of ...more
Benn Peek
I've finished Apology, a dialogue entitled Ion, Phaedro, the subsequnce of the Apology, adn have now finished Book I of Plato's Republic (which still plays into the dialogues, and is not a novel of its own). Socrates has a Christ like demeanor, and to me eerily resembles the Christian messiah, although this may be the work of the interpretor. Main points in the dialogues raise a candle to not only statements in philosophies, but can summarize entire theologies in the process.

The conflicts in Th
Rebecca
Does it count if I have been reading it for a decade or more? It puts me to sleep (perhaps because I read it before bed), and I disagree with Socrates' conclusions on almost everything. It is sometimes funny.

Socrates makes blanket statements about humanity, and consistently convinces his straight man that he is correct, but it seems like sophistry. His generalizations are ideals but not actually true. Whomever he is talking with usually makes generalizations that are not true, either, but he (no
Sowmya
It seems the ‘Dialogues of Plato’, is one of the few official accounts of Socrates’ philosophies.
Socrates obviously had no paucity of brains. His peers in Athens knew that well and most revered him and sought his valuable thoughts, bought his arguments and honoured him as an elite philosopher. Yet, the mighty prevailed.
Reading this book, made me realize how some things never change. Might is right and if you are no Socrates, your principles somehow evolve to mirror those of the ‘mighty’ or the
Majormarmot
Apr 10, 2008 Majormarmot rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone 12+/Mayores de 12
Recommended to Majormarmot by: A friend/Un amigo
En la que es posiblemente la madre de todas las obras filosóficas occidentales, Platón nos muestra en entretenidos diálogos la ideología de su maestro Sócrates, junto con su propia visión del mundo.

Los diálogos permiten apreciar las legendarias discusiones…dije discusiones…debí decir, humillaciones, de Sócrates sobre los sofistas, lo que le da cierta acción a una obra que por lo contrario sería bastante tediosa y cansada.

El objetivo del autor es mostrar al lector una serie de dilemas morales y f
Hdrabczy
Dialogi są moim zdaniem nierówne - rozważania na tematy społeczne i międzyludzkie (miłość, dzielność, powinność wobec państwa), obrona Sokratesa - są świetne, zarówno ze względu na treść jak i sposób prowadzenia wywodu.
Pojawiające się w dalszych dialogach rozważania dotyczące powstania i natury wszechświata, "historii" Hellenów są niestety mętne i idą w kierunku mitów.
Jako ciekawostkę można zwrócić uwagę na prawdopodobnie najstarszą wzmiankę o zatopionej Atlantydzie.
A non formal analysis out of Plato’s Parmenide excerpts 1 7 Oct 16, 2013 02:08PM
Goodreads Introductions 1 12 Jan 24, 2012 10:37AM
The Unexamined Life 1 2 Dec 23, 2008 12:42PM
  • The Complete Works: The Revised Oxford Translation, Vol. 1
  • Philosophical Fragments (Writings, Vol 7)
  • The Presocratic Philosophers: A Critical History with a Selection of Texts
  • The Enneads
  • Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity
  • Philosophy Before Socrates: An Introduction with Texts and Commentary
  • Summa Theologica, 5 Vols
  • The Philosophical Writings of Descartes (Volume I)
  • The Major Works (World's Classics)
(Greek: Πλάτων) (Arabic: أفلاطون)
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.

Plato is one of the most
More about Plato...
The Republic The Trial and Death of Socrates The Symposium Apology Five Dialogues: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo

“What a strange thing that which men call pleasure seems to be, and how astonishing the relation it has with what is thought to be its opposite, namely pain! A man cannot have both at the same time. Yet if he pursues and catches the one, he is almost always bound to catch the other also, like two creatures with one head.” 16 likes
“Whenever someone, on seeing something, realizes that that which he now sees wants to be like some other reality but falls short and cannot be like that other since it is inferior, do we agree that one who thinks this must have prior knowledge of that to which he says it is like, but deficiently so?” 11 likes