Start by marking “Thumb Love” as Want to Read:
Thumb Love

Thumb Love

Lulu was a thumb sucker. She and her thumb were very happy together—in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, Lulu and her thumb were best friends.

Despite the urging of her family and the teasing of her friends, Lulu just would not give up her thumb-sucking habit. That is, until one day . . . when Lulu made up her mind to stop. And to help herself and thumb suck
Published October 12th 2010 by Robin Corey Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Thumb Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thumb Love

The Library Lady
Dec 07, 2010 The Library Lady rated it did not like it
This will be great for adult and teen thumb suckers. But considering that most thumb suckers are preschoolers, I don't see a wide audience for this book filled with allusions to 12 step programs and a plot line with the thought patterns of a much older, more rational child. "The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit" is as dreadful as the rest of their morality fables disguised as picture books, but at least it's aimed at kids instead of parents and "hip" children's librarians.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is such a great book for those who have been thumb suckers and for those who have thumb suckers. Lulu is a thumb sucker, and at an age where she should be out growing it, but feels too attached to her thumb to let him go. When she awakes one night from a nightmare of having buck teeth and unable to say words correctly, Lulu decides it's time to stop sucking her thumb, and comes up with a 12 step program to stop.

Lulu has a great voice and she's one my daughter loved reading about. We enjoye
Katieb (MundieMoms)

Lulu has a great voice and she's one my daughter loved reading about. We enjoye
Darrielle
Apr 10, 2011 Darrielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: growing-up
This is a really cute book to share with pre-k students to 3rd graders who suck their thumbs. Lulu gets along perfectly with her thumb which is always there to comfort her and does not find it problematic until other kids begin to tease her and adults try to convince her that she is to old to suck her thumb. The book takes a sudden turn that makes Lulu create a 12 step program to stop sucking her thumb. The author was very clever in bringing the thumb to life through personification.
Shanshad Whelan
Nov 17, 2011 Shanshad Whelan rated it it was ok
Although this is a children's picture book, the humor and dynamic much more are meant for a mature adult audience. Especially since the thumbsucking humor references addiction meetings and boyfriend/codependency style issues. I was left feeling disturbed rather than amused at the end. I do know that I wouldn't use this book if my daughter has trouble giving up the thumbsucking. Just didn't work for me.
Space Jackson
A tragic love story about a young thumb who falls in love with a girl named DANIELLLE but he is betrayed by his most trusted friend, who turns out to be a heaps bowdddd bloke and marries the thumbs true love. in the end the thumb hits everyone and eventually has friends who like him heaps
THUMBOOOOO
Nancy Keyes
Sep 14, 2014 Nancy Keyes rated it it was amazing
I was a thumb sucker! Not proud that I didn't stop until I was in the fifth grade. Just in time to get braces. My dear friend's six year old grand daughter read this book to me. I thought it was written just for me...the similarities were just too much! I wish I had read it as a little girl maybe it would have "cured" me. Loved it!!!
Kate Hastings
Grades K-3. What a great book to use when a child is trying to break their thumb-sucking habit. Adults will find humor in the "Thumb-suckers Anonymous" reference and children will identify with the social difficulties (and dental difficulties) of continuing with their habit. The technique for quitting was great-- put Tabasco sauce on it, cover it with Play-Doh, wear a mitten. And keep trying!
Tricia
Nov 19, 2010 Tricia rated it did not like it
I know, bah humbug. I just didn't like this story about a girl named Lulu who sucks her thumb. Set up as part horror story (she has a nightmare and awakens ready to ditch the habit)...and part 11-step program, it just turned me off completely and confused my audience. Obviously not storytime material. I wonder if this would fly with the targeted reader?
Marie
Dec 14, 2010 Marie rated it liked it
It's true that this book has references young children won't understand and seems to be geared to a somewhat older child, but as a thumb sucker from way back, and one who was "older" and still couldn't kick the habit, I think this book is a fun and lively approach to a subject that can be embarrassing to children.
Matthew
May 30, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it
This was one of those unusual books that Elisa Primavera does that I really like. The ongoing back and forth between the little girl and her talking thumb is comical though I'm pretty sure that some of it would go over a younger reader's head. I don't know how an child audience would perceive it, but I liked it.
Stefani
Jan 13, 2011 Stefani rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Cute picture book to help kids stop sucking their thumb. I don't think kids will get many of the references that adults will think are funny, but still a good story with several ideas to help kids out. Still, most kids won't stop until THEY are ready.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Jan 02, 2011 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This was an adorable book about a little girl who decides it is finally time to stop sucking her thumb. Kids will love it and it can be quite helpful to use with a child who is struggling with this issue.
Jj
Apr 25, 2011 Jj rated it did not like it
Who is the audeince for this book? It can't be children...maybe it is adults who are in 12-step addiction recovery programs.
Relyn
Jun 28, 2011 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents of thumb suckers
Recommended to Relyn by: love the author
I adore Elise Primavera's illustrations, but this story? Hmmm.... nothing wrong with it, I just didn't find it compelling. I wonder what thumbsucking children will think of it?
Marcie
Jan 12, 2013 Marcie rated it did not like it
Thanks to Library Lady for ppointing out why I didn't like thIs. I love both Auntie Claus and the sequal.
Anna Larson
Mar 21, 2012 Anna Larson rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
The story is cute, but definitely for older kids. If you want a 3-5 year old to not suck their thumb this whimsical 12 step program gets a little lost on them.
Angie Quantrell
Apr 28, 2016 Angie Quantrell rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lulu loves her thumb. Read all about her experiences in trying to make herself stop sucking her thumb. This funny book will help families who are helping children stop sucking their thumbs.
Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2014
C.M
C.M rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Jessica Harrison
Jessica Harrison rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Alyson
Alyson rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2011
Merrillville Branch Library
Dec 06, 2010 Merrillville Branch Library rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
One of the cutest books I've ever read.
Justine
Justine rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2011
Beyond the Pages
Beyond the Pages rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
PWRL
Mar 13, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
E
Emily Moore
Emily Moore rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2014
Edward Sullivan
Oct 04, 2010 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Thumbsuckers of all ages, past and present, will enjoy this story.
Madison &
Madison & rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2015
Charlee Jackson
Charlee Jackson rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2011