Start by marking “Broken Glass Park” as Want to Read:
Broken Glass Park

Broken Glass Park

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  733 ratings  ·  135 reviews
Broken Glass Park made a remarkable debut when it was published in Germany in 2008. Its author, the twenty-nine-year old Russian-born Alina Bronksy has since been hailed as a wunderkind, an immense talent who has been the subject of constant praise and debate.

The heroine of this enigmatic, razor-sharp, and thoroughly contemporary novel is seventeen- year-old Sacha Naimann
Published March 30th 2010 by Europa Editions (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Glass Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Glass Park

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel BarberyOld Filth by Jane GardamA Novel Bookstore by Laurence CosséThe Hottest Dishes of the Tartar Cuisine by Alina BronskyThe Man in the Wooden Hat by Jane Gardam
Europa Edition Books
6th out of 71 books — 91 voters
The Second Sex by Simone de BeauvoirThe God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyThe House of the Spirits by Isabel AllendeThe Piano Teacher by Elfriede JelinekHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Women Around the World
123rd out of 644 books — 99 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle
I have a serious case of review writer’s block. Actually, it's more like review writer's ennui, but I felt compelled to write a little about this one. Do you ever read blurbs on the backs of books? Well, I sometimes do even though the same adjectives are recycled over and over again ad nauseam. If you do, don’t read the blurbs on the back of this one. I am so sick of something being termed ‘riveting’ when it is merely ‘mildly engaging.’ Also, ‘Extremely well-crafted’ should have been replaced wi ...more
Kwoomac
Sometimes I think I'm the only one in our neighborhood with any worthwhile dreams. I have two, and there's no reason to be ashamed if either one. I want to kill Vadim. And I want to write a book about my mother. I already have a title: The Story of an Idiotic Redheaded Woman Who Would Still Be Alive If Only She Had Listened to Her Smart Oldest Daughter. Or maybe that's more of a subtitle. But I have plenty of time to figure it out because I haven't started writing yet.

I had such high hopes for
Buried In Print
This review was deleted following Amazon's purchase of GoodReads.

The review can still be viewed via LibraryThing, where my profile can be found here.

I'm also in the process of building a database at Booklikes, where I can be found here.

If you read/liked/clicked through to see this review here on GR, many thanks.
Patrick O'Neil
Alina Bronsky's stunning debut novel, Broken Glass Park, is a total first person narrative. The reader hears 17-year old Sascha's voice as she plots murder, dissects relationships, threatens thugs, has sex, and describes her neighborhood's squalor and the drudgery of her life. It's all tell, no show, and surprisingly it works. Yet Sascha's not playing the sympathy card, and her mother was murdered, in front of her, by her stepfather, the man she wants to kill, the scumbag loser she told her moth ...more
Simon
Ich habe mich nie gefragt, wie sie meinen Plan finden wird. Habe mir nie Gedanken darüber gemacht. Wahrscheinlich möchte ich einfach glauben, dass sie seufzend, aber ohne Widerrede mithilft, die Sauerei wieder wegzumachen, bevor die Kinder kommen. Sie wird verstehen, dass noch mehr Blut für ihre Entwicklung nicht förderlich ist.

Alexandra Naimann, genannt Sascha, hat zwei Träume: Sie will Vadim umbringen. Und sie will ein Buch über ihre Mutter schreiben. Es soll heißen: "Die Geschichte einer hirn
Klaudia
It was "The Hottest Dishes of the Tartar Cuisine" that sent me on a Europa Editions reading binge. This is the latest Europa Edition that I've read, and I must say it wasn't a disappointment. I thought Bronsky's debut novel "Broken Glass Park" was a page turner, and a very quick read. I'm a real sucker for immigrant stories, especially ones written about post communist immigrants living in the West. I've never stumbled upon narratives of immigrant life in Germany, or in any of the Western Europe ...more
Karen
This started strongly and then petered out. I was interested in the narrator while she was talking about her family and her plans, but very quickly the plot seemed to start turning on coincidence, and I lost hold of the narrator's motivations. The overall theme of the book seems to be: men, what to do about them. They're violent, they're dumb, they're sexually abusive...but they're everywhere and for a straight woman they're also necessary, at least for some things.Sascha, the 17-year-old narrat ...more
Beatrix
Alina Bronsky created a young heroine that readers connect with from the very first page. Sascha Naimann is 17, was born in Russia and immigrated to Germany as a child. She now lives in a run-down housing complex for immigrants in an non-discript suburb of Frankfurt. She is fiercly protective of her young brother and sister and dreams of killing her stepfather and writing a book about her mother: “The Story Of An Idiotic Redheaded Women Who Would Still Be Alive If Only She Had Listened To Her Sm ...more
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
Aug 17, 2010 Lisa Hayden Espenschade rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in crime, difficulties for immigrants, or the effects of violence
Recommended to Lisa by: Publisher
Broken Glass Park has many of the elements I love to find in fiction: believably unbelievable characters, vivid settings, and situations that feel real and relevant. Perhaps it was Bronsky's success in creating settings and people that made her narrative feel weak: I felt the book lacked structure. Though Bronsky packs in lots of events and interesting scenes, I came away feeling I'd read a portrait rather than a novel with a beginning and an end. That's not always a bad thing, I suppose, but I ...more
orsodimondo
REGOLE DI VITA E DI MORTE
E' meravigliosa la storia di Sasha, anche se in realtà è terribilmente tragica: è Alina Bronsky che sa renderla meravigliosa.
Adottando l'io narrante e scegliendo una lingua diretta, senza fronzoli e orpelli - costruendo un racconto teso, asciutto, che progredisce anche durante i flash back.
Mi ricorda molto Lisbeth Salander, questa giovane Sasha: che a differenza di Lisbeth, ha due fratelli più piccoli, cui è molto legata - e ha amato moltissimo la mamma.
Particolari ch
Nicky
I love, love, love the narrator of this story. I fell in love with her instantly and wanted to love the novel too, but I only love the first half. After that, things get weird and oddly violent, yet almost boring at the same time. The anticlimactic ending doesn't help matters either.
Michele Ponte
Ci sono quei libri che ti fanno pensare: «No, non fa per me, ancora qualche pagina e lo abbandono per sempre sul comodino», e poi ti ritrovi a pagina 50 senza sapere bene il perché, e in seguito a pagina 100, continui a leggerlo in orario di lavoro poiché proprio non puoi farne a meno. Ebbene, “La vendetta di Sasha” è uno di questi.
Sasha, Aleksandra per chi ancora non la conosce, è una ragazza di origine russa trasferitasi in Germania, in una specie di ghetto nei pressi di Francoforte. Sasha a 1
Merve  Özcan

Alexandra Naimann, Sascha.
Anlatılmaz yaşanır tarzı bir hikaye, içinize oturan bir olay dizisi. Onun yaşadıkları zevkle okunacak cinsten değil, yüzünüzde gülümseme bırakmıyor. Her cümle daha korkunç bir gerçeğe gebe.

Tanıtımdan zaten amacını biliyoruz, ama neden bunu istiyor, neden bu ufacık kızda bu öfke yaşıyor? İşte bunu okuyoruz, onun hıncını tadıyoruz. Seçimlerinden memnun kalmaya biliriz ama ona anlayış göstermemek imkansız. Belki siz olsanız böyle d
Beth
This revenge novel opens with a Russian girl who wants to murder her step-father, who killed her mother and her mother's boyfriend two years ago. Many details of European life for a Russian immigrant living in Germany are translatable to an American audience, and this becomes a fast paced coming of age story.

One of the things I really liked about Broken Glass Park was the voice
of 17 year old Sascha, who is tough and vulnerable and funny and
passionate and insightful and moody, within short time f
Jason
A stunning novel, everyone should read it. This is Alina Bronsky's first novel. Her second, The Hottest Dishes of Tartar Cuisine, is also excellent. They have a lot in common: gritty stories of Russian emigrees in Germany told by unforgettable narrators. But they also show the range of Bronsky's imagination and voice not least the fact that this one is narrated by a 17 year old girl and Tartar Cuisine was narrated by a grandmother.

Broken Glass Park is a coming of age story with nothing whitewash
Natalie Ward
Interesting book, but not a huge fan. It was very random and disjointed, both the story and the narrator's actions. Despite everything she'd seen and gone through, I didn't fully understand her motives. Overall, very depressing.
Nick
“Broken Glass Park” is a coming-of-age novel with an edge. Coming of age novels have historically been a province (Dickens, Joyce, Salinger, the country naïfs that Flaubert and Balzac set loose in Paris; “Jane Eyre”, for example, although it follows the heroine through much travail, ends with a settling down rather than a setting off). There is no doubt much to be said economic, and social constraints on that account, and perhaps something about male narcissism as well. All that said, “Broken Gl ...more
Claire
This is the first book I have picked up and read from start to finish all in almost one go. Reading it all at once is helpful to remember character relations, if also jarring, particularly when such disturbing subject matter is involved.
Or, I don't know, I must just have a hard time making it through hospital scenes when the focus is on the in-patient and not the doctor (since I was just fine with Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago). After all, I had a similarly difficult time getting through Solzhy's
Lisa
About 100 pages into this wonderful debut novel. Just realized there are no chapters, which could be another reason it's hard to put this book down, the first being that it's a captivating story with a bevy of characters, especially Sascha, the protagonist, who are truly fleshed-out and real. Great translation. Can't wait to know how it ends, but, at the same time, don't want it to.....wonderful book, rooting for Sascha and her family and a hopeful but not sentimental ending. Recommended.
Rebecca Davis
I read this over a weekend in Birmingham (where I was visiting my parents). Alina Bronsky was speaking on the following Monday night in DC (where I live). My flight was cancelled in Birmingham Sunday night. After a very hassled long day at three airports on Monday, I went straight from National Airport to the reading. That's how much I liked this book.
Patxi
Após um início que prometia, a história acalma e quando achava que estava a se tornar aborrecida, a vida de Sacha acaba mesmo por ser uma caixa de surpresas.

Sacha vive no ghetto russo em Berlim e carrega nos ombros a responsabilidade de ser a irmã mais velha de Anton (tímido e que não fala) e Alissa (inteligente e faladora), ter ficado orfã, e de ter como tutora a prima do padrasto, o homem que é pai dos irmãos que adora mas que matou a mãe e o namorado desta na presença da família.
O plano de v
Joanne
Just finished this book. It moved me to tears and put me in a coma for several hours to follow. Gritty, raw, totally brutal, and utterly brilliant coming-of-age tale of a teenager living on the fringes of society. Wish the author didn't write under a pseudonym-- would love to know who she really is!
Diane
I love reading translations. It illustrates how different cultures shape our morals and politics, and also how amazingly similar we all are! Anyway, this was a precious and unique book, a long stream of consciousness that quite carefully revealed the truths of this young girl's life.
Shelley
Europa Editions always brings something different - this is a rough, authentic, Russian immigrant experience taking place in Frankfurt. I loved the fearless lead character, a 17 year old girl dealing with revenge. Reading this book was like taking a shot of adrenalin.
Kailin
Although this book highlights some crazy teenage angst from a new perspective, I thought it didn't hold together as much - Sascha was too much of a caricature of a teen, not a real one.
Marc Fitten
Strongly written book with a lot of energy -- and I like it when a writer swings for the fences, which is what Bronsky does in this book.

Barbara Higgins
Excellent debut novel, translated from German. I loved the main character--bright, angry, determined and bold.
Brian
Alison
I was so swept up in this book, I forgot to take notes for my review! I'm shocked that we're not hearing more about this book.

Broken Glass Park is a story told from the point of view of seventeen year old Sascha Naimann.

Sascha, the main character, may only be seventeen, but she is gritty, feisty and angry enough to make the reader question whether or not we should root for her. She is described in the book as "prickly" and "defensive" but we catch glimpses of her softness, especially towards he
Malcolm
I am a big fan of the publishers, Europa Editions. I admire the fact that they launched into the American market in the face of a muckle heap of skepticism.

And they have been clever. They have not restricted themselves to translations. Fay Weldon is their latest English language author. And within translations, they have been clever; they publish European Noir (crime, detective, dahling, that sort of thing).

Bronsky fits neither of those categories. I puzzle. She uses a nom de plume (there he goe
Loosed in Transla...: Broken Glass Park 1 9 Oct 26, 2010 10:31PM
  • The Homecoming Party
  • Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio
  • You Are Not Like Other Mothers
  • Dark Times in the City
  • Cooking with Fernet Branca (Gerald Samper, #1)
  • Spieltrieb
  • Visitation
  • The Russian Dreambook of Color and Flight
  • Limassol
  • Minotaur
  • La page blanche
  • Overcoming Speechlessness: A Poet Encounters the Horror in Rwanda, Eastern Congo, and Palestine/Israel
  • Walter Benjamin: The Story of a Friendship (New York Review Books Classics)
Alina Bronsky was born in Yekaterinburg, an industrial town at the foot of the Ural Mountains in central Russia. She moved to Germany when she was thirteen. Her first novel, Broken Glass Park, was nominated for one of Europe’s most prestigious literary awards, the Ingeborg Bachmann Prize.
More about Alina Bronsky...
The Hottest Dishes of the Tartar Cuisine Spiegelkind (Spiegelkind, #1) Just Call Me Superhero Spiegelriss (Spiegelkind, #2)

“Watch out for people who feel weak. They may want to feel strong one day and you might not survive that moment.” 6 likes
“Learn everything you want to know, and then learn some more. Don't worry if something doesn't go well. You are capable of so much.” 6 likes