Start by marking “Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  625 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
The ultimate guide to branding and building your business in the era of the Social Web?revised and updated with a Foreword by Ashton KutcherEngage! thoroughly examines the social media landscape and how to effectively use social media to succeed in business?one network and one tool at a time. It leads you through the detailed and specific steps required for conceptualizing ...more
Published February 16th 2010 by Wiley (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Engage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engage

Unleash the Power of Social Media Marketing by Joe Praveen SequeiraHow to Get 15,000 Twitter Followers Every Month by Owen  JonesMultilingual Digital Marketing by Maria JohnsenContent Rules by Ann HandleyGroundswell by Charlene Li
Top Social Media Marketing Books
22nd out of 88 books — 121 voters
Unleash the Power of Social Media Marketing by Joe Praveen SequeiraAlone Together by Sherry TurkleUsa LinkedIn como si fueras un experto by Javier Salazar CalleThe Paradox of Choice by Barry SchwartzHow to Catch a Cheater in 48 Hours or Less! by Eugene Walker
Social Media
6th out of 46 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Blog on Books
Apr 27, 2010 Blog on Books rated it it was amazing
Much like the de rigueur necessity of having a website a decade ago, it has become increasingly apparent that any company looking to establish a direct connection with their consumers now needs to have a social marketing strategy as well. Yet, with a daily growing array of platforms and tools now available to accomplish such goals, the choices and strategies needed to achieve such relationships can often seem overwhelming at best.

With a surfeit of so-called social marketing ‘experts’ now in the
Natali
Apr 10, 2010 Natali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are few people with as much enthusiasm and passion for social media as Brian Solis. He is smart, sincere, and dedicated. There is a lot to learn from him. That said, I skimmed most of this book because it was kind of a Social Media 101 textbook. I use these tools and already see the value. I read the book for a shot of enthusiasm to keep at it but I didn't need to read it studiously. I would recommend it be read studiously by small business owners looking to learn how to start implementing ...more
Jim Lewis
Aug 26, 2010 Jim Lewis rated it it was ok
Brian Solis is a true expert at social media. The advice and insights he offers through his streams (twitter et al) are invaluable.

All that being said, this book was a real disappointment. It went over and gave the same advice as pretty much every generic piece of information about social media. I was looking forward to hearing about some hidden gems and unfortunately there weren't many.
Paul Mirek
I closely read the first half of this book before putting it aside for future reference. Brian Solis is obviously passionate about emerging media and its impact on societal systems at every level. However, the writing style here falls prey to the bloat that accompanies too many "academic" works, needlessly obscuring some of Solis's very good points.

My copy was the revised edition, which is still several years old at this point. Needless to say, a lot has changed since then. The first half of the
Faye Oney
Brian Solis said it best at a recent social media conference: "There is no such thing as a social media 'expert;' we are all learning this together." This is a textbook for all things social media... Brian takes a step-by-step approach to educating the reader about the social networks, the rules of engagement, and the metrics with which to measure your results. Although it tends to be somewhat "dry" like a textbook, it is an excellent guide for businesses who are ready to venture into the social ...more
Dane Cobain
May 09, 2014 Dane Cobain rated it liked it
I’m not going to lie – Brian Solis let me down. He’s a well-respected social media marketer, and I’d heard good things about his book, but I just can’t bring myself to rate it as highly as the books that were released by some of his contemporaries.

The sad fact is that Engage! has aged much more than many other social media marketing books, perhaps because Solis placed too much importance on specific social networks – sure, he does agree that the message is more important than the medium, and som
W.G.T. Fernando
Jul 16, 2011 W.G.T. Fernando rated it really liked it
With telecom companies dropping prices and giving better speeds, we see the internet penetration going up on a daily basis. Hence we see more and more companies joining into the social media platforms and gathering fans or followers. But is that enough? What about the engagement?

Brian Solis, a digital analyst and prominent author of new media, comes up with a comprehensive 400 page book that is an essential guide for any team that is handling a brand on social media platforms. In the 25 chapters
Riley
Jul 17, 2010 Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very skeptical of this book, but not until I started reading the introductory pages. It felt like the author wanted you to join a cult to embrace social media, now! (complete with multiple “Engage or Die” graphics) I was prepared for this to be a very LONG journey through a lot of puffery. But once past this introductory hype the book was a complete, and welcome, deviation from that notion. Well though out and immensely insightful.

The first few chapters really introduce you to what social
Fred Zimny
Aug 15, 2010 Fred Zimny rated it really liked it
Brian Solis thought leaders and published authors in new media. A digital analyst, sociologist and so on. Solis uses his role as principal of consultancy FutureWorks to urge businesses to interact with and learn about their customers. Solis, was recently mentioned as one of CRMmagazine’s Influential Leaders of 2010,

Having followed Brian Solis for about two years on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, I have to admit he is – as so many social media gurus – highly accessible.

I started reading the book
Vittorio Veltroni
Aug 26, 2014 Vittorio Veltroni rated it it was ok
Usual mumbo jumbo of a tech savant. they really don't get that the entire world is not made of device addicted, compulsive sharers and gadget freaks.
a disappointing second step from his previous books.
Tim
Oct 09, 2010 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who is always looking to stay on top of social media trends and find information to support the value of these tools, I was thoroughly impressed with Brian Solis' explanations, examples, etc. Solis, a leader in digital media, offered excellent advice for those just starting out in using social media in business. He also provided practical information for companies that are already using it extensively. The greatest value of this book, I believe, is the blunt reasoning — and supporting ...more
destanie
Aug 12, 2010 destanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
I'm tempted to give this a high review, just because some of these sentences are worthy of David Foster Wallace. For example: "The doctrines that we examine and propose are in fact representative of best-of-breed ideals and methods unearthed and mashed-up from existing and extinct tactics to renew, edify, mature and hone our proficiencies, conviction, knowledge and experience." But it takes away from the humor knowing that the author wasn't trying to be funny.
Sam Rodriguez
Brian Solis give a comprehensive assessment of social media. He starts with the big picture and drills down to the detailed while touching on marketing along the way. I don't consider this book to be an easy read, you have to really want to read about this subject. His style of using multiple, redundant, descriptive adjectives to make his points gets old pretty fast, but other than that his writing style is pretty okay.
Aaron Glett
Oct 16, 2012 Aaron Glett rated it really liked it
Actually, I read the non-revised edition, but this was the closest version that they had listed. As a result, I will say this book lays the foundation for a solid future in Social Media. Don't assume that Social Media is a simple fix. After reading this book, I've realized that most businesses hoping to cash in fast into social media were doing it wrong. You don't cash in fast, you cash in the right way or it's the highway.
Libby Baker Sweiger
Nov 02, 2011 Libby Baker Sweiger rated it really liked it
This is full of great information. It is not an easy read. I'm sure that was not the intent of the author. I am used to reading and writing and reading blogs. I need a book that moves a bit faster. So, I dragged my feet on this one.

I certainly agree with Solis that engaging is the name of the game in Social Media and try to do so every day with my person accounts, business account and on behalf of my clients.
Aubrey
Apr 09, 2010 Aubrey marked it as to-read
Recommended to Aubrey by: Tamar Weinberg
Found this book mentioned here:

Didn't notice until later that Ashton Kutcher had written the foreword----might re-think reading it but I guess we'll see.
Luciano Palma
Jun 26, 2011 Luciano Palma rated it it was amazing
One of the best books about socialmedia and digital marketing.
Brian Solis talks about the impact of new digital media in a very complete way: from concepts to measurement tools, from intelligent reflections to working framework proposals.
A must read for anyone that intends to "Engage" with customers in the XXI Century.
Henk van der Duim
Dec 05, 2014 Henk van der Duim rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy reading this book, although there is some valueable information in it. But that is buried somewhere in the book. It basically takes the fun away from social media.

Social Media is not that complicated, so why make it so?

The End of Business As Usual was a much more enjoyable book!
Nicole
Jan 22, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book is not an easy read by any means. It's almost textbook style. But that is not a bad thing. I learned A LOT, highlighted A LOT, took A LOT of notes, and use it as a constant reference for my business. Excellent read for entrepreneurs who do it all themselves!
Adam Jeske
May 29, 2012 Adam Jeske rated it really liked it
This sat on my shelf for a while, so it's already showing its age.

However, Solis makes good points about:

-the rise of new media,
-what organizations need to be doing today,
-transparency,
-learning cultures,
-some helpful planning documents, and
-metrics.

Koen Verbrugge
Jul 17, 2012 Koen Verbrugge rated it liked it

Brian Solis is a great influencer, turning intuitive inisghts into marketable concepts like no other. That being said, you'll find more of those gems through his evolution podcast series than you will by reading this book.
Justin Silva
I tried to read this book twice and never got past the first 50-75 pages. It would be a good read for someone that knows nothing about social media or digital marketing, but try a more advanced read if you are in the industry.
Yana Petrova
Aug 16, 2012 Yana Petrova rated it really liked it
A useful guide for everyone interested in social media, online reputation management and community management. Anyway, it's not your book if you're an experienced professional in these fields and want to learn something new.
Tushar
Jun 05, 2013 Tushar rated it really liked it
This is the book for anyone who is looking for a digital media start up. Brilliant. The numbers and actions may differ cos of the updated websites and interfaces, the basic intention and idea remains the same.
Audra
Jun 20, 2012 Audra marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, crafts-business
I started reading this book in Sept 2010 and didn't get very far because of all the other books I had received from the library around the same time I received this book so I'm starting over as of today.
Diane Carter
Dec 02, 2012 Diane Carter rated it really liked it
"I like Brian Solis. I have followed his work for several years, briansolis on Twitter. I was impressed with the book. Good for a beginner or an experienced social media guru."
Bob Collins
Jun 11, 2012 Bob Collins rated it really liked it
Frankly, this book is a little overwhelming! Solis lays out the various social media outlets (available so far) and offer sage advise, and not a few warnings.
Mark Polino
Sep 01, 2011 Mark Polino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
I expected another book on how to use twitter. i got a great book full of social media info backed by great research. this book is very complete.
Mickey Baines
Nov 01, 2014 Mickey Baines rated it liked it
This was a very good read, but the data used in it is very dated, as is the case for most books like this, focused on social media.
Rachgsmith
Oct 20, 2010 Rachgsmith is currently reading it
evolution and future of social media. a million of these books, but not about the necessity to communicate as people on these platforms.
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools, and Strategies for Business Success
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • The Now Revolution: 7 Shifts to Make Your Business Faster, Smarter, and More Social
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • Social Media ROI: Managing and Measuring Social Media Efforts in Your Organization
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • The Whuffie Factor: The 5 Keys for Maxing Social Capital and Winning with Online Communities
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity and How Great Brands Get It Back
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time
  • The Social Media Marketing Book
  • Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies
  • Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media, and Content Marketing
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The New Relationship Marketing: How to Build a Large, Loyal, Profitable Network Using the Social Web
Brian Solis is principal at Altimeter Group, a research firm focused on disruptive technology. A digital analyst, sociologist, and futurist, Solis has studied and influenced the effects of emerging technology on business, marketing, and culture. Solis is also globally recognized as one of the most prominent thought leaders and published authors in new media. His new book, What's the Future of Busi ...more
More about Brian Solis...

“Social media spark a revelation that we, the people, have a voice, and through the democratization of content and ideas we can once again unite around common passions, inspire movements, and ignite change.” 18 likes