The Parrot Who Thought She Was a Dog

The Parrot Who Thought She Was a Dog

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The last thing Nancy Ellis-Bell expected to descend on her life was a neglected, too-tall, smart-mouthed, one-legged, blue-and-gold rescue macaw named Peg Leg. And yet, it made perfect sense. A lifelong animal lover, Nancy could never turn away a stray cat, dog, squirrel, or raccoon from her California farm. But the macaw, quickly rechristened Sarah, was a whole new challe...more
Published July 22nd 2008 by Crown (first published January 1st 2008)

trina
Oct 03, 2008 trina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers, people in search of a light but not stupid read
this is a quick read. i read it in about two hours. but it's actually quite funny and touching, in addition to be cute (an undependable word at best), and i defy anyone who reads it to not immediately desire a macaw companion of their own.

on second thought, that's a stupid thing to say. if you are an animal lover and extremely patient, maybe. if you are in possession of a few masochistic tendencies, more likely. otherwise this is the stuff of nightmares: a super-intelligent, two-foot tall, four-...more
FicusFan
Jen
This book was sent to our bird club, so I thought I would read it and report back to everyone.

It was fun to read a book about parrots, since we live with some and can relate. When she described some of the behavior - both good & bad, I was like, yup, been there.

However, I didn't feel good about the idea of letting her macaw, Sarah, play outside without any kind of harness or flight cage. She was free to play & fly wherever. It was fun reading about her love for playing in the dirt and he...more
Kris
I think the title is wrong - the parrot didn't think she was a dog. In fact, it was pretty clear that she knew that she was way smarter than a dog (no offense meant to dogs!). This was an interesting book. I'm glad I had read some of the reviews, so that I knew in a general way what was going to happen. No spoiler alert here. The author's household sounds like it was pretty chaotic - dogs, cats, raccoons all in a modified mobile home - and then she added a huge macaw, which promptly took over ev...more
Edward Simpon
I have 3 macaws, blue&gold, Scarlet and a green wing. I felt sympathy for Sarah as she only wanted to give back to this bird what it deserved, what had been taken from it. Good on her. None of mine have any behavioural problems or displaced aggression. The breeder of 50 years lets his macaws have free roam of 25 acres, never lost a bird. In fact they only prefer to go out when he does, returns when he does etc...

It's sad to see ignoramus's miss the point of this educational book or claim tha...more
Marcus
This book is definitely only for bird lovers. We have a blue and gold rescue parrot, so I enjoyed all of the behavioral quirks, many that we've seen with our bird. But if you don't have a soft spot for animals, birds in particular, this isn't for you.
Minrose
This was one of the most depressing stories I have ever read. Fasinating look at life with a parrots and all that it could do.
Chade66
This was an interesting book. I think it shows some of the joys and hazards of trying to keep large parrots as pets.
Good book. Couldn't live that way myself, but enjoyed some of the images.
Melanie
I loved it until the end. I can't discuss for fear of spoiling but.
Kimberly Michelle
Very entertaining read about a woman & the parrot she loves.
Kris
I thought this book was really sad! I felt so sorry for the poor birds. I have read alot about the large parrots - and so many people get them and don't know what they are getting into. It's really very hard for the people and the birds - unfortunately, it's the birds who really suffer.
I did laugh at some of Sarah's antics, but on the whole, since she was a captive bird, I knew that she would never be truly happy - just like the author felt - until she was free. Sadly, that did not end well for...more
Jessica
Aug 26, 2009 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Shelves: animals
I picked up this book because I love animals and animal stories. The Parrot Who Thought She Was a Dog follows Nancy Ellis-Bell and her adopted macaw, Sarah. Sarah basically took over Nancy's home and dominated her other pets, but they bonded deeply and Nancy loved having birds in her life. The book is going along with Sarah's antics, etc. then all of a sudden things change dramatically. I don't want to give away what happens, but I was very surprised at the sudden change in direction with the bo...more
Lori
This was a very quick read. It made me both want a parrot and never want to own a parrot. I really like the references at the back of the book for people who are interested in bird ownership. I wish the book had been more about the bird than the author. I didn't care for her emotional smatterings. It did make a very compelling story about the trials of bird ownership, but drug the tone of the book into a mostly depressing story, rather than something that could have been much more light-hearted...more
Marla Sommer
Ok I thought this would be a great little book to relax with. No such luck. I couldn't get past how the trailer must of smelt and the parrot licking her eyeball. Sometimes I just don't get the connection between people and animals. I hope I don't know anyone who would tongue kiss a parrot! Yes I did finnish this book and yes I could have stopped reading at any time but I just had to see how far she would go for her pets.
Marla
Kathi Olsen
Having had parrots, this book was really fun to read. Reminding me of the intelligence, sense of humor and timing of parrots. Thank goodness it is illegal to import wild caught birds, so that has slowed down the incidents of wild birds in cages. This book reopens the feelings of being allowed to interact with an animal that is not usually earthbound.
Pat
This book was so entertaining! I laughed and I cried. I finished it in two days and I really hated to see it end. It is a true story of how the author, who loves animals, takes in a one-footed macaw named Peg-leg. She renames her "Sarah", and Sarah proceeds to take over the whole house, including the two dogs, two cats, AND the author and her husband!
Diana
I enjoyed this book-- it wasn't as well-written or wrenching as Marley Me, but I appreciated reading up about life with a species that wasn't canine or feline. Parrots seem like a lot of work, though...
Rachel
This is a true story of a woman who becomes a first time parrot owner of a wild caught, one-legged macaw. It got a starred review in Booklist but I didn't really enjoy it. She seemed very taken with her ability with animals and I'm not sure, based on the outcome, that it was deserved. The bird in the book was fascinating though.
Brenda
Wanted to like this book more than I did. The author is an animal lover for sure, but maybe to a fault. Plus the whole relationship between her and her significant other is just too irritating. She spends an awful lot of time trying to convince us all how much he loves her. Just OK for me...
Johnna
For all those who loved Marley and Me this book is a must read. Nancy shares with us her story of the amazing connection she makes with her beautiful feathered friends. There are also cats, dogs, fish and raccoons.

A touching, sometimes sad and at times a very funny story.
Barb
Jan 19, 2009 Barb rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers
I love lite read books that are funny and heartwarming. Makes you second guess yourself wanting the same kind of experience and watching the antics of the bird yet not wanting the responsibilities of having to care for the bird. It makes you smile...
J
I liked the title better than I liked the book. It was interesting, but it was more the story of a pet-owner who allows her life, and that of her family and other pets, to be dominated by a single bird, than about a bird thinking it's a dog.
Monika
I have no idea why this book was published. The author is pure ignorance and irresponsibility, with a large dollop of crazy on top. She is the kind of person who should simply not be allowed to have animals.
Barbara
I so much enjoyed "Alex and Me" and "Wesley the Owl", but this does not stand up to those two, probably because it doesn't have the interesting science they had.
Ss Ho
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! It was very captivating! In fact so captivating that I was reading it during some parts of the SJ earthquakes vs LA galaxys soccer game, hee, hee!
Alexandra
This is such a delightful true story! It made me want to get pet parrot and teach it to say "I love you" So sweet and funny too! Definately worth the read.
Sally
The author clearly is an expert on parrots, does good works, and loves her birds, but it's very saccharine. Read "The Parrot Who Owns Me" or "Alex and Me".
A Man for All Species: The Remarkable Adventures of an Animal Lover and Expert Pet Keeper Man for All Species: The Remarkable Adventures of an Animal Lover and Expert Pet Keeper