Start by marking “The Far Cry” as Want to Read:
The Far Cry

The Far Cry

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Once upon a time, a girl named Jenny Ames was murdered in a lonely house. No one knew where she had come from, or why she had died, or who killed her. Years later a man moved into the same house and discovered that nothing is more seductive than an unsolved murder.
Published December 28th 2010 by Centipede Press (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Far Cry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Far Cry

A beautiful book.

This is a tale of obsession.

A man sent to live in a cabin for the summer to get away from it all is convinced by a friend to look into a murder that happened in sleepy Taos 8 years before. What follows is the man's descent into dipsomania and obsession over a girl about whom little is known, murdered by a man about whom little is known.

This is an amazing and excellent book, I read it in essentially one sitting. Great language, great characters and a very tight plot that unfortun
Slow burn with a creepy twist ending. If you like existential crime novels in which the detective is consumed by his case (he solves it but, it solves him) then check it out.
Dave Russell
It would be a far cry from the truth to say this wasn't a compelling read.
Aug 06, 2015 Jim marked it as could-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I'm quitting on this because it's not really my thing. It's well written & read, but more of a mood thing all about a somewhat mentally fragile guy who becomes obsessed with a long cold murder. The only reason I tried this was that it was given to me as a gift by the publisher. I think anyone who likes this sort of book would love this one. I'm just not that person. I didn't think I was, but still managed to listen through the first CD into the second.
Al Kaff
A superb noir mystery. One of my all time favorites. The denoument is truly stunning.
E.R. Torre
While today the science fictional works of author Fredric Brown are perhaps better known than his crime/mystery novels (in particular his short story "Arena", which was adapted into, among others, an episode of the original Star Trek TV show), The Far Cry is perhaps my all-time favorite crime novel.

The plot involves George Weaver, a man recovering from a nervous break down who takes up temporary residence in a small New Mexico town. While there, he stumbles upon a years' old mystery involving a
the gift
sometimes aristotle is right: plot is everything. short, darkly humorous, stark emotions, not very well written. but a great plot. note: did/do people drink so much in ’51?- one sequence the narrator has 7 or 8 drinks, midday, but at least this knocks him out, though this does not happen other times… this being only perhaps characterization, that he has a drink, shares a drink, in virtually every possible situation. at one point he is telling himself he is not going to be an alcoholic- but maybe ...more
Kelly McCubbin
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is time for a massive renaissance of the noir of Fredric Brown. While this book might not be as perfect as The Screaming Mimi, as avant-garde as Here Comes a Candle or as goofy fun as the Uncle Am and Ed stories, it is truly haunting. Weaver's descent into obsession, alcoholism and, well, whatever you think that is at the end, is unnervy, skin crawly, stuff.
Brown has a brilliant way of making guys who know their place in the world start to lose their
After completing this book it left me saying "REALLY?" Not my usual kind of read, but sometimes I like to shake things up a bit. Although I enjoyed the writing style and I was interested and engaged in the book the entire time, I somehow kept feeling it was all just a little too perfect. A tidy little murder mystery wrapped up with a pretty little bow. Then I read the end thinking REALLY, that's how this is going to end?!?!? Not a fan of the last 5 minutes but as I said before, I was interested ...more
Really a super premise for a crime story, isolation - summer sabbatical from reality, asked to do only one thing...all in an attempt to get beyond a nervous breakdown. Very creative plot...though it bogs down at times with the repetitiveness of Weaver's internal dialog with himself, but then what should I expect from a psycho on the skids into the deep end?
One of the best mystery books I've listened to (or read). The narration by Stefan Rudnicki was superb. The story itself is incredible, with one of the best twist endings I had ever had the pleasure to experience. This one is really a shocker.

Highest recommendation possible.
Ok, that was pretty good.

So much drinking, seriously. For a super nerdy drinking game, drink when George drinks.

Listed to the audiobook via hoopla... The narrator is outstanding. He creeped me out, even during my sunny morning drive.
The story telling shows its age. Written in the early 1950s, it has the feel of film noir. Told in a very strong male voice complete with the sexism and prejudices of the day. The mystery itself it very involved and thrilling.
I didn't initially realize the time period, until the discrepancy of costs continued. That is a statement to how well the tale transcends the decades since it was written. I can also listen to Stefan Rudnicki read ANYTHING!
really not fair to rate it... got a few hours into the audiobook and just didn't find anything to convince me to keep on
A book I wanted to like but the ending was too unbelievable and I found the protagonist's own wife jarring which made the ending even more awkward...
A perfect slow descent into madness? Justification? Readers call about that in this short book of desert noir. I waver between 3 and 4 stars, 3 because it was a bit repetative, and 4 because the repetition was an important part of The Far Cry.
A fabulous tale of deductive reasoning and tangled logic.
Jennifer S. Rubin
Jennifer S. Rubin marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Scott Marshall
Scott Marshall marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Greg marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Julien marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Victoriakor marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Marc marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Françoisg marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Nicholas Mcdowell
Nicholas Mcdowell marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
  • Cassidy's Girl
  • A Touch of Death (Hard Case Crime #17)
  • Solomon's Vineyard
  • The Vengeful Virgin (Hard Case Crime #30)
  • Phantom Lady
  • The Woman Chaser
  • Thieves Like Us
  • Black Wings Has My Angel
  • The Big Clock
  • Plunder Squad (Parker, #15)
  • The Butterfly
  • The Name of the Game Is Death (Drake, #1)
  • I Should Have Stayed Home
  • Recoil
Fredric Brown was an American science fiction and mystery writer. He was one of the boldest early writers in genre fiction in his use of narrative experimentation. While never in the front rank of popularity in his lifetime, Brown has developed a considerable cult following in the almost half century since he last wrote. His works have been periodically reprinted and he has a worldwide fan base, m ...more
More about Fredric Brown...