Start by marking “Twenty Gold Falcons” as Want to Read:
Twenty Gold Falcons

Twenty Gold Falcons

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Unhappy Aidan learns about a stash of valuable coins called gold falcons hidden in the Ingle Building. Her search for it unleashes for it unleashes a remarkable chain of events and brings her in touch with unforgettable characters, including smart-aleck elevators, an eccentric millionaire, and a mouse that appears to appreciate opera.
Published April 1st 2010 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Twenty Gold Falcons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twenty Gold Falcons

Heather
Twenty Gold Falcons ties into previous books that Amy Gordon has written, the setting is the same and some characters overlap, but they are not in a series and don't have to be read in order. Though reading the previous books might make things clearer, like why the baseball team wear's gorilla suits but that isn't really necessary to know for the plot line of this book. I didn't start enjoying this book until I was about half way through. The action does heat up and it has a pretty satisfactory ...more
Jordan Funke
This book is not as cheesy as it looks. I mean it is, in that way that middle grade mysteries aren't really that mysterious, but this is for someone who likes the Mysterious Bennedict Society or Blue Balliet's books. I liked the characters and there were a few cute twists thrown in involving identical twins who are very different from each other and long lost relations. Who wouldn't want to go on a treasure hunt to find antique gold coins in a huge old glamorous skyscraper?! Overall, a cute adve ...more
Angie
Aiden Farmer has just moved to Gloria. Her father has died and she has had to leave the farm she loves. She and her mother have moved into an apartment with her uncle Tony, an opera singer, and she attends a school she hates with people she can't stand. The only thing she does like is the Ingle Building and its connection to her family. She is a a Balboni and they have always been connected to the Ingle's. Then Aiden hears about a mysteries lost treasure in the Ingle Building. Years ago Mr. Ingl ...more
Malia C.
WOW! This book kept me in suspense the whole time. It was a gripping story although some parts didn't make a lot of sense. I wanted to read more the whole time. I think that there was a lot of unnecessary "bad guys". The book was kind of ruined by all the plot turns. Gordon did a nice job but there is still work to be done on this book.
Ronald Roseborough
Do you like a good mystery? Would you like to search for gold coins? Aiden Farmer, is a young girl who's life is turned upside down after the unexpected death of her father. Aiden and her mother must give up their life on the farm and return to the city,to find work and to live with her mother's brother, who is an opera singer. Aiden feels totally out of place and thinks only of finding a way to return to her friends and life on the farm. When she hears of the lost twenty gold falcons hidden in ...more
Terry
The ending is a bit predictable, but the story on the whole is a page-turner with plenty of surprises. Aiden, Adam, and her cousin are fun, sympathetic characters. For the most part, the relationships with adults are normal and do not fit the oft-seen parent-is-stupid model. I also loved that Aiden's cousins lived in a treehouse.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Erin
I didn't enjoy this book until I was about half way through it. The beginning just did not flow smoothly. Once the clues to solve the mystery began to unfold the story definitely took a turn for the better.

It also bothered me that there were so many references to some of the author's other books. You don't have to have read them to understand this story but it felt like I was a bit out of the loop.

Overall, it was a solid mystery for burgeoning readers.
Jess Buyers
This book was really good for a twelve year old. I would recommend this book to any middle schooler either boy or girl. This book was pretty boring and predictable for me but I could see how I'd be extremely exciting for a kid in late elementary school or middle school. I guess the only warning that I would put on this book would be that it can be slow and boring for older ages.
Jeff Raymond
Children’s mysteries are hit and miss for me. For me, the gold standard is the Blue Balliett series (Chasing Vermeer, The Calder Game, etc), and i never grew up liking mysteries, nor do I read them today. I got an advance of this one and it was…okay. Felt fairly pedestrian, the central mystery was kind of off, but it might be the kind of thing kids might like, who knows.
Lora Bear
My 10 year old boy loved this book. We read it together. Perfect also for a girl about that age. Well written with a little mystery and a treasure hunt. Definitely recommend.
Heather Cato
Everyone wants to believe that something extrordinary could happen to them. Gordon uses a seemingly ordinary story to tell of a delightful mystery that is a modern day treasure hunt. What I particularly loved about Gordon's writing is that she used her craft to carefully wove the clues through the book in order to create an interesting surprise ending.
Tiffany
This was a fun treasure hunt book. I really enjoyed it. It had so many unique characters. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read "The Gorillas of Gil Park" and "Return to Gil Park" first so I would have already been familiar with some of the characters. I may just have to reread this one after I read those two!
Rachel
I got caught up in this story right away, and although some of the plot was predictable, it was pretty well done. A young girl dealing with the loss of her father moves to a town her mother grew up in and learns of a secret of 20 gold falcon coins worth a small fortune hidden in a closeby building.
Morty4
Fun, little mystery, especially for a younger age group (10-12). I liked the mystery and the interesting little twist. It made me laugh too. Plus there is a mouse that likes opera. What's more fun than that?

Warnings: None.
Nicole
I thought this book was good, I just felt it had a big build up but not a huge climax. I guess there was not enough conflict? Not sure but I felt like it needed something more. Nice writing style though.
Heather
Sure, some parts are a bit too predictable, but the mystery and the adventure are quite fun. And there are still a few surprises of the unpredictable sort, too!
Dustin
Dec 14, 2012 Dustin is currently reading it
It was a good book overall and had simple words that told the story well enough. It had good characters, but it was a little slow at times.
Nunya
It is absolutely thrilling. Aidan is a very well developed character on the search of a life time! I recommend this book!
Angela
Disjointed writing, no characters I clicked with, just never connected. Great premise, but didn't really work for me.
Ashley Wieber
Cute book, the reading level was pretty young but the story was good and I liked that she used a fake city.
A.C.E. Bauer
A great middle grade read. This is perfect for kids who like mysteries.
Pksoper
Feb 10, 2011 Pksoper rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I think a ten year old would love this book. It's a fun, little mystery.
Mary Ann
Maybe I should read The Gorillas of Gill Park.
Kaitlin Peek
Twenty Gold Falcons was a great book!
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Shadow Collector's Apprentice The Gorillas of Gill Park When JFK Was My Father Painting the Rainbow The Secret Life of a Boarding School Brat