Start by marking “Pig Candy: Taking My Father South, Taking My Father Home--A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Pig Candy: Taking My Father South, Taking My Father Home--A Memoir

Pig Candy: Taking My Father South, Taking My Father Home--A Memoir

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Pig Candy is the poignant and often comical story of a grown daughter getting to know her dying father in his last months. During a series of visits with her father to the South he'd escaped as a young black man, Lise Funderburg, the mixed-race author of the acclaimed Black, White, Other, comes to understand his rich and difficult background and the conflicting choices he ...more
Published May 13th 2008 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about Pig Candy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pig Candy

Walter
One of the back cover reviews says, "Funderberg has achieved something very remarkable in contemporary memoir: a personal narrative that is crisply intelligent rather than cleverly self-satisfied, deeply and meaningfully emotional rather than soppily sentimental." Yeah, but something was lost in that move...the balance of analyzing the context and providing personal insights is off. For me, there was too much time spent on the minutiae of the father's health decline and too little info on larger ...more
David Ward
Pig Candy: Taking My Father South, Taking My Father Home--A Memoir by Lise Funderburg (Free Press 2008) (Biography) is a beautiful story that appeals on many emotional levels. The author - the daughter of a black father and a white mother who divorced when the author was a child - writes of the last few years of her father's life as she becomes increasingly involved in his life, his care, and his journey to death. Lise Funderburg was raised in the northeastern U.S. by her mother in a large exte ...more
Michael
The author does an excellent job making scenes vivid -- and there are many scenes, and much detail, in this book. What seemed lacking to me, however, were two things: interesting characters and psychological insight. After 300 pages, I knew next-to-nothing about the author herself, other than her desire to be a good daughter and assist in taking care of her father in his declining years. Her sisters -- names only. The father is the only character shown in detail; and he is somewhat interesting b ...more
Purlewe
For anyone who has an ongoing, difficult relationship with their parents.

Lise loves her dad. She loves learning all about him. She loves his love of life and the quirky way he grasps a new idea and runs with it. She also hates her dad. The rules, the stoicism, the way he can cut her down and belittle her in an instant.

Her dad is in the final stage of his life. His cancer has advanced to the point that he will chemo until he dies. The thing that keeps him going is the farm he owns in GA even tho
Karen Miller
“This is the thing about my father. He’s a study in fractions. He is various parts sharp and funny and kind and generous and playful. And he’s cruel, baiting and grudge-holding and bitter and broken, broken, broken. I love parts of him. I hate parts of him. I forgive much of him, who he and what he’s done. And no matter how hard I try, I can’t get past wanting him to turn on me a gaze of absolute, unfettered love.” – Lise Funderburg in Pig Candy.

Every little girl wants to be daddy’s little girl.
Maya
This is an absolutely beautiful book. Lise Funderburg writes a memoir covering the years her father is ill and dying and manages to make every word feel completely real, completely true. It's incredibly moving and not one bit manipulative.

Her family history is so interesting, so historical due to their race and the fact that her father grew up Georgia, and at the same time so unique because of the personality of her father. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that reading her descriptions of the
Katarina

I didn't enjoy this book at all. Maybe it was because I had to read it for school but I'm pretty sure it's just because I didn't like how incredibly disorganized it was. One minute I was reading about Ms. Funderburg's dying father, the next minute I was reading about her grandfather in the Deep South, having to deal with racial tension, segregation, and inequality. I wasn't sure what book she was writing, be it one about a woman and her father during his last days and how they bond/cope or what
Casey
I really enjoyed this book. It was a touching and realistic portrait of a daughter-father relationship and the challenges we all face at the end of life. It is set in Philadelphia an rural Georgia. In the telling of her father's life, she also give a history of growing up in the South in the early 20th century and making the movement north as part of the Great Migration. Anyone that has helped care for a loved one who is dying will understand the way it changes your relationship with this person ...more
Rose  Mary Achey
A well written account of a father's last year of life from the perspective of his daughter. He is an African American who married a white woman.
Jahna
This is a really awful book. The author swithces from past to present in a way that is confusing and you need to reread the chapters over and over again. There were too many characters I couldnt keep them straight. There is no emotional attatchment to her father either which is confusing because its about her dealing with his death. On top of all of the technically problems the subject was boring and drawn out.
Kathy
This was an amazing book by a daughter about her father. When he is diagnosed with terminal cancer, Lise Funderburg takes her father on a series of trips to his home in rural Georgia. In the process, she learns more about him than she ever knew before. It is so well written and she is able to communicate her conflicting emotions about her dad with great honesty and humor.
Heidi
Funderburg's written a moving tale about father-daughter love. It's the everydayness of the Mixed experience with big personalities enjoying big fun in the face of a father's final days. I read this in one sitting. See page 159 for the most moving passage EVER about parental loss and grieving.
Ja'nai
This is a great memoir that is made more appealing by the in depth descriptions and details of life in rural Georgia. The father-daughter relationship, with all its hills and valleys, has made it hard to put the book down.
Wendy
For some reason, I had a hard time getting started on this book, but after the first 20 pages, I couldn't put it down. It is a beautiful and precise memoir of race in America, fathers and daughters, and dying.
Affecting, enjoyable, moving. The author does not sentimentalize her past or her father but documents in clear prose the ups and downs of their relationship and his last few years.
Jesse
It was hard for me because of personal experience but it was a poignant memoir not only about race in america, but also about being a caregiver for a dying parent.
Malou
Pig Candy is a wonderful memoir about a father-daughter relationship. It's moving, saddening, funny - everything all at once. I warmly recommend this book.
Gia
This is such a great read! She is a very graceful writer and the history was fascinating. They dying days of a parent told with such love and humor too.
Nancy
Struck maybe a little too close to home for me to objectively rate this book but I enjoyed knowing that somehow we all do manage to get through it
Augustus Cileone
An interesting memoir about the author's father. The personalities of the people depicted were vividly brought to life.
Joan Countryman
Pig Candy is a wonderful father/daughter memoir that enriches the literature of race and family in America.
Elizabeth
Carolslp
Feb 21, 2010 Carolslp is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't finished, but love it so far.
Phaedra Gwyn
Phaedra Gwyn marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Steph Miller
Steph Miller marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Old Man's Boy Grows Older
  • Hapa Girl: A Memoir
  • Under the Skin (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #6)
  • Lady Bird: A Biography of Mrs. Johnson
  • Line by Line
  • The Definition of Wind: A Novel
  • Paradise
  • Bengali Girls Don't
  • How Dolly Parton Saved My Life: A Novel of the Jelly Jar Sisterhood
  • Midnight Cactus
  • Do-Over!: In Which a Forty-Eight-Year-Old Father of Three Returns to Kindergarten, Summer Camp, the Prom, and Other Embarrassments
  • Skydog - The Duane Allman Story
  • Brothers (and Me): A Memoir of Loving and Giving
  • The Gerbil Farmer's Daughter: A Memoir
  • The Fiddler on Pantico Run: An African Warrior, His White Descendants, A Search for Family
  • Lost Man's River
  • As They Were
  • The Prince of Los Cocuyos: A Miami Childhood
I'm a writer based in Philadelphia. I've written for many national magazines and newspapers, and my latest book is called "Pig Candy: Taking My Father South, Taking My Father Home." It's a memoir/social history about race, filial duty, mortality, and barbecue."
More about Lise Funderburg...
Black, White, Other The Color Purple: A Memory Book