Start by marking “Velocity (Karen Vail #3)” as Want to Read:
Velocity (Karen Vail #3)

Velocity (Karen Vail #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  788 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Renowned FBI profiler Karen Vail returns in Velocity, national bestselling author Alan Jacobson’s most explosive thriller to date.Detective Robby Hernandez, Vail’s boyfriend, has vanished into the dense air of a Napa Valley evening.There are no clues to his whereabouts, other than blood stain and tenuous connections to a vicious serial killer operating it the wine country. ...more
Published October 5th 2010 by Vanguard Press (first published September 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Velocity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Velocity

Terri Armstrong
“Velocity” by Alan Jacobson:

Being a Alan Jacobson virgin, I didn’t know what to expect from his novel “Velocity”. From the first sentence I knew this book would intrigue and entertain me like nothing else. I wasn’t wrong.
FBI Agent Karen Vail has a problem. The man she’s involved with, Robby Hernandez went missing on their “vacation”. John Mayfield—a suspect they have in custody—could be the answer to Vail’s biggest question. However, fellow agent Ray Lugo—whose wife and child were kidnapped by M
Amy

Velocity is the latest in a series that revolves around Karen Vail, an FBI profiler, and in this case she’s in Napa Valley trying to catch a serial killer. Jacobson captures wine country perfectly, with the descriptions of winery operations, the rural countryside, and the personalities of the nouveau riche jumping into the wine industry. He clearly knows the region. Vail is not a ‘chick’ cop, and fortunately, there are no descriptions of her designer purse or what fashions she may be wearing. Sh
Gmr
Finished this one off in the wee hours of the morning...and honestly, can't say that I'm sorry it's over. The writing was good, but the story didn't live up to what I sampled of the book from the start. You see, I read the excerpt...which is almost a full chapter if not a full chapter and what a wicked rush that was. Seriously...the lead bad guy had issues and they manifested in the usual way...death and mayhem. Needless to say I was quite surprised when the book turned the focus to a missing pe ...more
Bigd_041555
Great continuation from Crush. A very good look at human smuggling, drug smuggling and cartels makes you appreciate our law enforcement officers and the dangers that await them. Karen Vail is a very likable, at times careless (regarding herself, not the ones she cares for), and determined woman. The extremes that Karen goes to find her man - to hell with procedure (not always), humans have to come first.

This is one great series of books - a must read for anyone that likes murder mysteries and cr
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace

This was the first book I read in the Karen Vail series and I’m going to be hard pressed to read another. Though well written with good transitions, I found the main character unbelievable.

Karen Vail’s boyfriend, a fellow cop, was kidnapped. She ignored law enforcement protocol to save him. Her main mission was to save her boyfriend no matter how many other law enforcement personal who could or would be hurt or killed.

I’ve read other books narrated by Deanna Hurst and enjoyed her narration but,
Clare
Velocity’s crippling flaw is its main character, Karen Vail, a brash, rude, and immature FBI agent so obsessed with rescuing her kidnapped boyfriend that she neglects her job, breaks into houses, and insults nearly everyone she encounters–and we’re supposed to sympathize with her. It’s also an installment in a series that can’t stand on its own; you have to have read Crush, the previous novel in the series, to understand the first half. It’s not worth your time.
Christine
I am disappointed at how strong this series started in the first book and then went downhill in the second book and then hit rock bottom in this third book. It seemed that all Karen did was search for Robbie and bitch and moan. I was so annoyed with her that by the end of the book I was glad it was over. I didn't like the ending of the book but I guess that since this book was so blah it was a "perfect" ending.
Nicola Mansfield
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary defines "velocity" as "The speed and direction of motion of a moving body." FBI Profiler Karen Vail is that moving body and she is running to beat the clock with a fiery momentum to find her missing boyfriend who has disappeared into thin air with no clues but a possible connection with a serial killer. Unusual in the mystery/thriller series genre, Velocity picks up right where Crush ended. Literally starting with the next chapter. The plot starts off hi ...more
James
This was my first mystery featuring renowned FBI profiler Karen Vail. It appears to pick up where the last plot line/novel ended. While working on a serial killer case in the Napa Valley of California, her boyfriend, Detective Robby Hernandez, vanishes into thin air. There are no clues to his whereabouts, other than a blood stain in the bedroom and a tenuous connection to the vicious serial killer operating in the area. As the task force searching for Robby, the serial killer challenges them by ...more
Darcy
Lee
This is the review from my blog - I am cheating and just copying it here. However if you go to my blog, there is actually a comment from the author himself. He saw my review on twitter thanks to my hashtag and actually read it. Amazing! http://prideisland.com/?p=318

Velocity is the third book in the Karen Vail series and tied into Crush the second book in the series. Since I read Crush back in January, I went back in re-read it as there were details that I was fuzzy on and couldn't remember. Velo
Alex Telander
After the cliffhanger of Crush, Karen Vail is right back in the thick of it. The key to these books is the realism Alan Jacobson puts into his characters and his story, keeping the reader hooked until the end, as they simply have no idea what is going to happen next and who will survive.

We last left FBI profiler Karen Vail with the Crush killer caught, and the serial killings in the beautiful wine county of Napa Valley finally at an end; but the nightmare is still continuing for Vail, as her boy
VLynch
Paula
This is the 3rd book in the Karen Vale series. Robby Hernandez is missing and Vale is in Napa Valley trying to find him. She teams up with Roxxane Dixon to help find him, a detective in Napa. She is called back to DC to head up another case and is told some startling news about Robby from her bosses. DeSantos works in the Pentagon and helps Vale in her search for Hernandez.
Jmcrossfl
It was an OK read. The book did go downhill from beginning to end, and I was not sad when it was over.
Lora King
This book continues the story started in "Crush". I liked Crush a bit better, this made Vail seem like a Wonder Woman, Superman super hero. Her character actually grated on my nerves and really I just had to sit back and enjoy the ride on this one because it was just too unbelievable. And Vail wasn't the only super hero, but I did enjoy some of the new characters and I bet we'll see them in future Karen Vail books. But I did enjoy the glimpse into the interagency work done by all the alphabet so ...more
Michelle
Finished in a few days! Fantastic read.
Valerie Roberts
I just read all three of the books in this series. The main thing they have going for them is suspense. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I would have continued reading them. The second and third books are really just one book, cut in the middle. And the things that happens to the main character are just preposterous. A few of them could plausibly happen to any FBI agent, but all of them in succession? It was just over the top, but with enough suspense to keep me reading, when I should have been doing ...more
There were a lot of twists and turns to the plot in this book. In general, I felt that it held my interest well enough. Some parts were a little bit slow and there were areas where Mr. Jacobson was oddly, overly descriptive. The pace and timing of the book is a little inconsistent, in my opinion. However, I did only have time to read this in spurts, so I'm sure that contributes to my feeling of a few continuity issues.

If I could give it 3.5 stars, I would, but I'll round up my rating to be gener
Chocbookworm
Another terrific "Karen Vail" novel that keeps you turning the pages. However, as the third book in the series it is recommend to read them in order to get all the pieces of the puzzle.

As an FBI profiler, Karen Vail, certainly gets involved in more than her normal duties and nothing seems to stop her even the law. She risks her life as well as the lives of many others to save the life of one of her own.

If you enjoy "Criminal Minds" and "CSI" then this is definitely your type of series.
Daniel Boles
Alan Jacobson showed me how much I love Karen Vail, FBI Probiler for a third time. Her quick wit and sarcastic behavior only make me love her more. I wouldn't say that this one is as good as the first two, but only because I felt like he wrapped up the end very quickly. The other two Karen Vail novels had nice twists at the end, but for some reason, he did not allow that same ending to occur in this one. Overall, still an exciting read, but I wanted to see an Alan Jacobson ending.
This book picked up right where the second book "Crush" left off... and since I read it about 2 years ago, it made Velocity a little hard to follow at first. I'd recommend reading Velocity right after Crush so that you can understand the references to Crush throughout Velocity. However, after about 1/3 of the way through I really got into the book, it has lots of action and keeps the pages turning. Overall, a good read.
Lynette Barfield
I really like this Karen Vail character. This book is actually a continuation of book #2 which ended with one hell of a cliffhanger. I really wanted to slap the author because of that. I was lucky to find #3 before I forgot what the previous book was about, and, I have to say that I truly liked it. I still wanted to send the author a nasty e mail for the cliffhanger.
Doug Bower
This is a great book but you must read his book "Crush" first or you will be lost. This book starts where Crush ends. Mr. Jacobson has earned a place among the leading police/detective authors. If you have not read any of his books I encourage you to do so beginning with the first book in the Karen Vail series (The 7th Victim). You will not be disappointed.
Bridget
Velocity is non-stop, heart-pumping suspense. I found Alan's writing to be similar to James Patterson (this is a huge compliment because James Patterson is one of my favorite authors). The story has a flow about it that makes you unable to sit it down. Karen Vail is going right up there with Alex Cross on my list! Velocity is a really great book!
From my book review blog Rundpinne..."I shall not be rating Velocity by Alan Jacobson because it is partially my fault for not realising Velocity takes off where his previous book, Crush, ended."...My full review is here.
Mary Kay
It's a rare male author who can sucessfully write a female protagonist - and Jacobson is not one of them. Also, we are dropped into the middle of the situation with no idea of relationships, plot,back story. Are we dealing with a serial killer, a missing policeman on vacation, drug cartels, revenge killings, all of the above??
Steve
This was the 2nd book in the story, the first being Crush. Overall, the story was a fast-moving murder mystery and does span both books. My only complaint was that the writing seemed choppy at times as the author continuously either repeated information he gave earlier in the book or went back to minor characters too often.
Sue Radley
This book is the lastest of his series of books, with FBI profiler. It is a take off of the 7th Victim and Crush. I just started reading his books with the 7th Victim and of course had to get Crush and now I am reading Velocity. If you read this book, you must start with the other two first. Great author.
Tammy
This was by far the best of the Karen Vail series. I enjoyed this story more than the others, I feel like the author is realling getting into the swing of writing Karen and I've enjoyed the growth in the character for this installment.

I'm interested to see if there will be a next!
  • Hostile Intent (Delvin, #1)
  • Mourn The Living
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • A Little Death in Dixie
  • Watchlist: A Serial Thriller
  • Revenge of Innocents (Carolyn Sullivan, #4)
  • Striking Back
  • Crossing the Line
  • Hour of the Hunter (Walker Family, #1)
  • The Malacca Conspiracy
  • Get Some
  • The Hunters
  • Deceit
  • St. Dale (St. Dale, #1)
  • Triple Exposure
  • Farraday Road (Lije Evans Mysteries #1)
  • Silent Screams
  • The Moscow Club
ALAN JACOBSON is the National Bestselling Author of several critically acclaimed thrillers. His 20 years of research and training with the FBI’s profiling unit, DEA, US Marshals Service, Scotland Yard, SWAT, and the US military bring unparalleled realism to his stories and characters—prompting the San Francisco Chronicle to say that “Alan Jacobson researches his books like a good newspaper reporte ...more
More about Alan Jacobson...
The 7th Victim (Karen Vail, #1) Crush (Karen Vail #2) Inmate 1577 (Karen Vail #4) False Accusations The Hunted