Start by marking “You Can't Stop Me (You Can't Stop Me #1)” as Want to Read:
You Can't Stop Me (You Can't Stop Me #1)

You Can't Stop Me (You Can't Stop Me #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  665 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
"NO ONE CAN TWIST THROUGH A MAZE WITH THE
INTENSITY AND SUSPENSE OF MAX ALLAN COLLINS."
--Clive Cussler

Smalltown sheriff J.C. Harrow made headlines when he apprehended a would-be presidential assassin--only to come home that night and find his wife and son brutally murdered. This tragic twist of fate launched his career as the host of reality TV's smash-hit, Crime Seen! But
Published March 1st 2010 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about You Can't Stop Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can't Stop Me

Bonnie
Dec 30, 2010 Bonnie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was severely disappointed the latest from Max Allan Collins and his cohort Matthew Clemens. I have never read anything by Clemens but I had read the Criminal Minds books by Collins and I enjoyed them so I thought I would really like this You Can't Make Me Stop. I was wrong.

I thought the book started off well. It was exciting and interesting and what I expected. But then it seemed to fall apart. Small town Sheriff Harrow saves the President's life and heads home to find his wife and son murder
Jim
3.5 stars. This was a very good, interesting mystery story. Not as much action as his Quarry novels, but better in many ways. The look into the twisted motivations of a serial killer & the exciting way the story played out were riveting. The setting was different - a take off of Alan Walsh's example. I liked the early CSI TV shows (Collins writes novelizations of them) & this story is similar. Well worth reading.
Joan Reeves
Oct 16, 2011 Joan Reeves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This book kept me riveted from page 1 to the end. I could not put it down. Quite simply, it's one of the best thrillers I've read in a long time, and that's in large part to the character J. C. Harrow, hero and victim. Every civilized person identifies with the fear--the nightmare--that a madman could take away everyone you love. Your entire family--gone in minutes because of a sick killer.

We identify with that fear, and we identify with the man left behind when all his loved ones are gone. Harr
Nightowltoo
The twist to this crime drama is the police officer investigating the crime (against his family) goes does so by becoming a reality TV host investigating crime.

While the writing was fast paced and help my interest while reading, it was ultimately so forgetable that a week later when I went to write this review I had to look up the description on Amazon for even the basic plot info.

I got this free on kindle, and while I don't feel my time was wasted reading it, I'm glad I didn't pay for it. (
Susan Kelley
Aug 01, 2014 Susan Kelley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
JC Harrow has dealt with the horror no person should have. His loving wife and son were murdered in cold blood, ironically, the same day JC saved the life of the President of the United States.

Years later, JC has turned his unexpected fame into a gig as host of the real-life crime solving show, Crime Seen! Sure,there are critics who say he is using his personal tragedy to his own benefit. In a way, he is. JC hopes to one day find the person who took everything from him. That day may be coming q
JenniferJ
One of the fastest most exciting mysteries that has held me in my seat in a long while! I quickly was swept into the life of JC and how he goes in search of his families killer on reality tv! It was just an amazing concept and the characters we meet along the way are fantastic.....one of my favorites being a crazy old coot with a shotgun but that's all I'll divulge. lol
Robin
Nov 28, 2014 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has an interesting, but highly improbable premise. J.C. Harrow, a former small town Iowa sheriff and current criminalist for the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation, is on special assignment at the Iowa State Fair. He is assigned to monitor the crowd during a Presidential visit. He spots a shooter and dives on him, thus saving the President's life. That night, when he arrives home, he finds his wife and and children have been murdered. Publicity for these two events, plus his goo ...more
Ed
Mar 15, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reporter, thriller
2010 thriller from prolific Max Allan Collins and Matthew Clemens was a Finalist 2011 Thriller Award for Best Paperback. Sometimes over-the-top and a parody of reality TV, this novel is an enjoyable quick read.

Thriller - A retired sheriff and Iowa BCI agent takes a job as host of a True Crime / America's Most Wanted TV show after his family is murdered in a home invasion. When a production assistant notes the similarity of a FL multiple murder to that of his family's, he gets the network to fund
Muhammad Yahya Cheema
Excellent. Period.

Why? For a number of reasons. First, because of its crisp, lively and 'characterized' dialogues with wit, humor and more than often black humor. Second, because of its suspenseful dramatization of events, which kept the thrill going till the very last page. Third, its characterization, which felt better than in many other fiction works recently published. List goes on, but you get an idea.

Never thought I'd say this about a 'cheesy' serial-killer-thriller, but the idea of puttin
Jay Fromkin
I hate reality TV. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Even shows that have a moral center, such as "America's Most Wanted." So, once I got into "You Can't Stop Me" I thought I'd have trouble getting past the basic concept of a former Iowa sheriff becoming host of a true-crime show in an effort to find the killer of his wife and children. But, I liked it. The main character, J.C. Harrow, is admirable, but while the supporting characters all have distinctive characteristics, many are not well fleshed out. ...more
Urs
May 14, 2011 Urs rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: suspense fans, thriller fans, crime story fans
I have never read any of Max Allan Collins work, nor have I read any of Matthew Clemens work. I had no special expectations for this book as a result. I got this as a free read from the kindle store.

The book is about a man who saves the President and then comes home to find his family murdered. He then uses a reality show à la America's Most Wanted to track down his family's killer. The authors switch between scenes of the main character, plus cast and crew of the show, and scenes of the killer.
William M.
Jul 20, 2012 William M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I’ve heard of Max Allen Collins a lot over the years. His movies, the adaptations, and his crime novels with the Hard Case Crime publishing imprint. The premise of this story really intrigued me and I thought I’ve give it a try.

Once the narrative gets moving, I felt the team of experts that were brought together by Harrow was a bit too clichéd with their multi-cultural heritage. It almost felt like a spoof; the black lesbian, the Asian jokester, the shy sexy computer nerd, the tough muscle, etc.
Randy
Mar 03, 2011 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J. C. Harrow, a retired sheriff, had been a crime scene investigator. He was drafted to help guard the President when he was in town and ended up stopping an assassin from killng him. Only to get home that night and find his wife and son shot to death.

Five years later, the crime still unsolved, Harrow is the host of a TV series, Crime Seen!, that features real life criminal stories and have been responsible for a number being arrested and put away.

Then another murder turns up disturbingly simila
Cristina Rivera
Dec 20, 2012 Cristina Rivera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
On the same day sheriff J.C. Harrow saves the President, he discovers his wife and son have been murdered. Years later he has his own show, Crime Seen!, and uses it to find the killer of his family. After assembling a team of top-notch professionals, they take a journey deciphering 'messages' left behind by their still active killer with camera crew in tow. However, presenting their information to the world also gives the killer one step ahead. The team, itself, also put their lives at risk foll ...more
Toni
Oct 14, 2011 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story by the author of the Oscar-winning Road to Perdition and many CSI novels could very well be the basis for a television/movie script. It plays smoothly, flowing from one scene to another. The characterizations are spot-on: the network executive theoretically caring for his star and staff but in reality wanting only the high ratings JC’s vendetta will bring in, the talented staff JC bring in, each an expert in his field, each with their own little quirks, and JC himself, grief-stricken, ...more
Grey Liliy
May 23, 2012 Grey Liliy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gets a four star because I loved J.C. Harrow. Characters are what make me love a book, and he's a good one. He's that perfect sort of old school detective playing the role of a TV host--and he gets the best of both worlds. You can see how he's adjusted from Detective to Host and what's kept and what's changed--merging together into a lovable personality who's still a good man.

Jumped right into that, didn't I?

Yeah, the highlight of this particular novel had to be the lead, J.C. I liked the r
sandra sprenger
Sep 08, 2014 sandra sprenger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can't put this one down!

this is one of the best reads I've had the pleasure of reading. strong story line, great fleshing out of characters. crime/mystery are my favorite, but this one really kept me involved. story extremely well written, your interest does not leave what is next.
I strongly recommend this to anyone wanting a book that holds your interest and does not slow down at all.
Denise
Oct 06, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small town was the draw to this book - the small town of Lebanon. Could it be that the killer they are looking for is in such a town? Follow the past sheriff of another small town as he presents his search for the killer of his family on live T V to find out just where the killer waits and why he is killing public service family members .

Fast read with just enough to keep you going.
Kallie
May 28, 2014 Kallie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I burned the midnight oil reading this book. It took me 2 days to read it which speaks volumes considering I have a busy toddler demanding my undivided attention. I didn't really care for the "reality tv" feel and it took some getting used to. I can see myself reading more from this author in the future. Now it's time to catch up on some sleep.
Mary Ruth Phares
Terrific Series!

There are two books in this series. I just finished reading the first in the series - "You Can't Stop Me" - it was great. I didn't realize it was series, and read the second book first. Would suggest reading them in order. I wonder if there will be a third book. I would certainly buy it!!!
marvin shults
Sep 16, 2015 marvin shults rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Messed up

This story is very disturbing in that what a few people did to the man's family led him to murder dozens of people. We are all in a position to either forgive or to take life's terrible tragedies and turn them into horrible nightmares. It's a good read for people who like mysteries.
Walter Herrick
Nov 18, 2014 Walter Herrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was exciting from the get-go, and kept up the action all the way through. PLUS it added in elements of CSI (which the authors have writen for before), as well as a John Walsh character - kind of a "ripped from the headlines" angle that made it an exceptional story.
Darcia Helle
Collins and Clemens borrow from the TV show America's Most Wanted and its host John Walsh. In You Can't Stop Me, J.C. Harrow is a cop who loses his wife and son to a serial killer. Circumstances send Harrow into the limelight and, consequently, he becomes the host of a reality crime show. He uses this show to assemble an expert crime team and they travel the country tracking the killer with TV cameras following their every move.

This is a quick read, with believable and likable characters. I foun
Angela Risner
I downloaded this as it was a free promotion on Kindle. I was a bit disappointed in the novel, although the author does have promise. I am not sure if the author is using this book as a stepping stone for a series with the same characters or not. If so, he needs to flesh out the characters a bit more.

There are a few twists and turns, but overall it was fairly formulaic. The description of the killer was nothing unusual, other than when the author seemed ready to turn him into a rapist. That didn
Paige
Feb 02, 2015 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a really big fan of Collins's Disaster Mystery series and after reading those found I had picked this up when I first got my Kindle as a freebie. I didn't enjoy this one as much. I felt that there was a lot of build up and the delivery fell a little short. The ending felt like there was "twist" there just to have one and the story cycled through so many of the character's PoV that after awhile that got a bit much (including that of the Messenger). Which is not to say I hated the book I didn ...more
Diane Shipley
Jul 23, 2015 Diane Shipley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kept my attention, and the plot was tangled, which I love, the characters were played out. I never read anything by Max Allan Collins, but I will be sure to try another one of his books.
Lin
Dec 21, 2011 Lin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great thriller, which was hard to put down. J.C. Harrow helps save the president from a bullet - then returns home to find his wife and son have been gunned down and killed.
Fast forward a few years and he is working on a TV crime show, when a sharp-eyed researcher spots a link between a current case and that of J.C.'s family. A team of crack investigators/scientists is set up, to carry out investigations, the progress being charted as part of the TV show, and J.C. starts closing down on the ki
Dana Westcott
Jul 23, 2010 Dana Westcott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book it was a easy read. I liked the characters and how the author showed a little of each ones personality.
The plot was pretty good J.C. Harrow county sheriff comes home after saving the presidents life only to find his wife and son murdered. He later goes on to host a show like Americas Most Wanted that later leads him to his familys killer.
Some parts of the book seemed long and others I liked for instance you saw in every charaters head at some point even the killers. I thought t
Juli Monroe
Jan 15, 2016 Juli Monroe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scribd, 2016
I wasn't sure about the reality TV show hook, but it worked well. Some suspension of disbelief required, but not enough to ruin the book for me. Looking forward to the sequel.
Barbara French
Jun 11, 2014 Barbara French rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Good Read!

Good mystery and suspense novel. Well written...as other
books by Max Allan Collins and I will continue to read more of them.
  • Primitive
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Mania
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
  • Conspiracy in Kiev (The Russian Trilogy #1)
  • Dark Pursuit
  • Silent Screams
  • Operation Sheba (Super Agent, #1)
  • Protector
  • Triple Exposure
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • Petals From The Sky
  • Robin and Ruby
  • Mourn The Living
  • The Cruelest Cut
  • Amberville
  • The Sculptor (Sam Markham, #1)
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
12014
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2006.

He has also published under the name Patrick Culhane. He and his wife, Barbara Collins, have written several books together. Some of them are published under the name Barbara Allan.

Book Awards
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1984) : True Detective
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1992) : Stolen Away
Shamus Awards Best Novel nom
More about Max Allan Collins...

You Can't Stop Me (2 books)
  • No One Will Hear You (Crime Seen #2)