Start by marking “What They Don't Teach You in Library School” as Want to Read:
What They Don't Teach You in Library School

What They Don't Teach You in Library School

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  26 reviews
MLS programs do a good job of teaching the basic skills of being a librarian--how to catalog books, how to clarify a reference request, how to run a story hour. But as any working librarian will tell you, that't not the half of it. A long-time library administrator, Doucett gives new librarians a full dose of practical advice and wisdom that remains between the lines of mo ...more
Published August 31st 2010 by ALA Editions (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What They Don't Teach You in Library School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What They Don't Teach You in Library School

Beth
Oct 07, 2010 Beth marked it as to-read
Am I the only one who is shocked this book is only 160 pages??! ;-)
Julie
While this book does have a small section about things to do before being hired, I think it will work best for someone who has just been hired to a position. Some of the topics covered are nice to review (strategic planning & marketing for example), but in my classes we discussed those topics a lot already. I really recommend borrowing this book from a friend or library. Used copies are often around forty dollars or more, and the content is not thorough enough to warrant spending forty or fi ...more
Lisa
(Non-Fiction- Library Science) Doucett is not a woman who wastes words. As a librarian who has four years of experience under my belt, Doucett covers subjects that were skipped in my Library Science coursework, but prevalent in my Library work. She covers facilities management and planning, finances and budgeting, thinking like a retailer, promotional marketing, managing problem patrons, etc… This is an essential guide for library students and new professionals.
Jenny
Started 10-12-10. Read a couple of chapters. Didn't touch it again until 10-16-10. Then I'll admit I skimmed. Some of the stuff doesn't relate to me yet(since I'm still looking for my first post-MLS job) but I will definitely keep this book on hand at work.
Pamela
Handy little book for people fresh out of school. It's so basic, you don't need to necessarily be considering a career in Library Science to use it, tho' that is the key focus. You are walked through basic things like life skills (creating your budget & expenses.. Can you afford a career as a librarian?) and things to consider while interviewing.. I'm not sure how useful the book is for actual post-grad students looking for a place. But for someone who knows nothing about it, it's a good pla ...more
Taryn Brittany
As a recent library school graduate, I was drawn to this book by the title. My school provided its students with a nice balance between theory and practice, and I felt well-prepared as I began my first professional position. However, there is always more to learn, so I decided to read this book and see if I could gain any pearls of wisdom.

The book is organized into 3 parts: Helpful to Know Before You Get Your First Job as a Librarian, Helpful to Know When You are New on the Job, and Helpful to
Farrell
Great for someone starting out in the profession. Very conversational in tone and Elisabeth Douchett is true to her goal, "...provide some very basic, down-to-earth help and training..." (viii). This book is broken into 3 parts: Helpful to know before you get your first job, Helpful to know when you are new on the job, and Helpful to know as you gain some experience. Quick read.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This book can be incredibly useful for people who went to library school without ever working in a library. Some great tips, many of which were mentioned in my intro classes for my MLS, and I hope have been for others. I will say this would probably be a good gift for a recent grad, as a refresher and prep for the library world.
Let's face it, 3 stars is the five stars of professional development reading. It just isn't going to get any better than that. There were parts that were relevant to me and parts that were not....I wish I had read it 2.5 years ago. Got some good info out of this book.
K
I was a little concerned when I first started reading this, because first section (on what's helpful to know before your first job as a librarian) is very basic -- so basic I'm afraid it may feel condescending to some people in library school. Don't give up! The next two sections provide nice overviews of a whole bunch of useful topics, along with resources where you can learn more. All in all, this was a quick read that I'm considering buying in hard copy, to make it easy for folks in my librar ...more
Karen
Jun 27, 2012 Karen marked it as to-read
They have this in the professional collection at the public library. I ordered it (020.43 Doucett) but after having it out well over a month, didn't read it through. Everytime I began to take it back I would skim some pages and determine that I must read this book, and then I would renew it. The fact of the matter is, I have other priorities right now and do not have the time to devote to reading this as I would like. So I'm putting it on my "to read" list. ;)
Chelsea Murray
This is an interesting book, and would be best read during the last year of library school, or directly after if you are looking for direction. I didn't find it the most useful, but it does cover many topics that are useful and not necessarily taught.
Jackie
A useful guide for the new librarian. Some sections were more helpful than others--I don't have to know about the maintenance of library facilities for my job, and I actually did learn about managing conflict in library school--but there are some useful, easy-to-remember points for starting a new job and more.
Michelle
This is a great book for me, as a new librarian (less than 2 years). There is a lot of information broken down in to digestible sections. I really enjoyed her step-by-step tools and tricks for navigating the strange world of being a librarian. I ILL-ed this book but just requested that we purchase it.
Rachel Zibaila
It had some useful overall tips.
I basically skimmed because most of it just spells out things that you should be learning on the job.
But some times, you don't get that experience because your library doesn't treat you like a librarian.
Or you don't actually have a job in a library yet.
Liz De Coster
Concise and full of useful information. I recommend it for anybody looking for their first library job, since it addresses such a wide range of topics. I only wish there was a chapter on funding sources - grant writing, etc.
Victoria Rodrigues
You mean they don't teach you how to buy affordable groceries, balance a checkbook, or find the best suited job for yourself? At least tell me they filled you in on dental hygiene and women's troubles.
Juleah
Lots of useful advice and new things to think about, but also the realization that there are many many more areas this book could have covered that aren't taught in library school.
Jen Johnson
good, fairly wide range of information. i think the book is really more of a jumping off point for continuing/starting your education in your career. very glad i read it tho.
Medlibrarian
There is a crying need for this type of book, but while this is a good start, it's a slight volume and I'm not sure it covered a lot of the things it should have.
Amanda
Feb 26, 2012 Amanda added it
conversational tone, quick read. good for identifying areas of librarianship that may not be in course work and suggesting resources for learning those skills.
Lesley
I'm glad I read this one. I found myself skimming some of the sections, but this book is probably worth a review after I'm through with school.
Gwen
to review for Information Today, February 2011 issue. Want to give some chapters to colleagues to read! Is that mean? Would they take it wrong?
Emily
Some interesting stuff, but she apparently has WAY more time and/or fellow staff members and/or fewer patrons than I do.
Judith
While the themes in this book can be applied for any job field, it was still a nice quick read.
Michelle Self-ballard
short but had some good topics and some good resources for further information.
Melanie  Moore
Melanie Moore marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Niki
Niki marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Rachel Cohen
Rachel Cohen marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
  • Young Adult Literature: From Romance to Realism
  • Readers' Advisory Service in the Public Library
  • The Readers' Advisory Guide To Genre Fiction
  • Foundations of Library and Information Science
  • Rethinking Information Work: A Career Guide for Librarians and Other Information Professionals
  • Quiet, Please: Dispatches From A Public Librarian
  • Reflective Teaching, Effective Learning: Instructional Literacy for Library Educators
  • This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All
  • Glut: Mastering Information Through the Ages
  • The Anarchist in the Library: How the Clash Between Freedom and Control Is Hacking the Real World and Crashing the System
  • Developing Library and Information Center Collections
  • Introduction to Cataloging and Classification (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
Creating Your Library Brand: Communicating Your Relevance and Value to Your Patrons Creating Your Library Brand