Start by marking “What They Don't Teach You in Library School” as Want to Read:
What They Don't Teach You in Library School

What They Don't Teach You in Library School

MLS programs do a good job of teaching the basic skills of being a librarian--how to catalog books, how to clarify a reference request, how to run a story hour. But as any working librarian will tell you, that's not the half of it. A long-time library administrator, Doucett gives new librarians a full dose of practical advice and wisdom that remains between the lines of mo ...more
Published August 31st 2010 by ALA Editions (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What They Don't Teach You in Library School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What They Don't Teach You in Library School

Beth
Oct 07, 2010 Beth marked it as to-read
Am I the only one who is shocked this book is only 160 pages??! ;-)
Ashley
Dec 16, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing
The target audience for this book is newly minted library school graduates or those without years of library experience under their belts, and the advice provided by Doucett is some of the best I've encountered for getting comfortable with a professional library environment. All of the advice is listed in short chapters that cover an introduction to the topic, a brief discussion of why the topic is important, and then a discussion of what affect a topic can have and how to approach it. Some of t ...more
Juan
Apr 02, 2017 Juan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carísima y breve obra práctica sobre la gestión de bibliotecas en los aspectos organizativos que no se enseñan (¡o enseñaban!) en los estudios superiores de Documentación. Atención al público problemático, diseño de espacios, microeconomía, marketing... Disciplinas que anteriormente no estaban en los currículos oficiales, más bellos que los actuales al centrarse en aspectos románticos o técnicos de la propia disciplina.

Por suerte o desgracia, los programas actuales de los grados de Información y
Brittany
Mar 29, 2011 Brittany rated it liked it
As a recent library school graduate, I was drawn to this book by the title. My school provided its students with a nice balance between theory and practice, and I felt well-prepared as I began my first professional position. However, there is always more to learn, so I decided to read this book and see if I could gain any pearls of wisdom.

The book is organized into 3 parts: Helpful to Know Before You Get Your First Job as a Librarian, Helpful to Know When You are New on the Job, and Helpful to
Julie
Apr 10, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: libraries
While this book does have a small section about things to do before being hired, I think it will work best for someone who has just been hired to a position. Some of the topics covered are nice to review (strategic planning & marketing for example), but in my classes we discussed those topics a lot already. I really recommend borrowing this book from a friend or library. Used copies are often around forty dollars or more, and the content is not thorough enough to warrant spending forty or fi ...more
Lisa
Apr 23, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
(Non-Fiction- Library Science) Doucett is not a woman who wastes words. As a librarian who has four years of experience under my belt, Doucett covers subjects that were skipped in my Library Science coursework, but prevalent in my Library work. She covers facilities management and planning, finances and budgeting, thinking like a retailer, promotional marketing, managing problem patrons, etc… This is an essential guide for library students and new professionals.
Jenny
Mar 01, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-related
Started 10-12-10. Read a couple of chapters. Didn't touch it again until 10-16-10. Then I'll admit I skimmed. Some of the stuff doesn't relate to me yet(since I'm still looking for my first post-MLS job) but I will definitely keep this book on hand at work.
Pamela
Mar 07, 2015 Pamela rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, self-help
Handy little book for people fresh out of school. It's so basic, you don't need to necessarily be considering a career in Library Science to use it, tho' that is the key focus. You are walked through basic things like life skills (creating your budget & expenses.. Can you afford a career as a librarian?) and things to consider while interviewing.. I'm not sure how useful the book is for actual post-grad students looking for a place. But for someone who knows nothing about it, it's a good pla ...more
K
Dec 11, 2012 K rated it liked it
I was a little concerned when I first started reading this, because first section (on what's helpful to know before your first job as a librarian) is very basic -- so basic I'm afraid it may feel condescending to some people in library school. Don't give up! The next two sections provide nice overviews of a whole bunch of useful topics, along with resources where you can learn more. All in all, this was a quick read that I'm considering buying in hard copy, to make it easy for folks in my librar ...more
Karen
Jun 27, 2012 Karen marked it as to-read
They have this in the professional collection at the public library. I ordered it (020.43 Doucett) but after having it out well over a month, didn't read it through. Everytime I began to take it back I would skim some pages and determine that I must read this book, and then I would renew it. The fact of the matter is, I have other priorities right now and do not have the time to devote to reading this as I would like. So I'm putting it on my "to read" list. ;)
Farrell
Great for someone starting out in the profession. Very conversational in tone and Elisabeth Douchett is true to her goal, "...provide some very basic, down-to-earth help and training..." (viii). This book is broken into 3 parts: Helpful to know before you get your first job, Helpful to know when you are new on the job, and Helpful to know as you gain some experience. Quick read.
Michelle
Apr 08, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarianship
This is a great book for me, as a new librarian (less than 2 years). There is a lot of information broken down in to digestible sections. I really enjoyed her step-by-step tools and tricks for navigating the strange world of being a librarian. I ILL-ed this book but just requested that we purchase it.
Jackie
Sep 28, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, job-related, 2011
A useful guide for the new librarian. Some sections were more helpful than others--I don't have to know about the maintenance of library facilities for my job, and I actually did learn about managing conflict in library school--but there are some useful, easy-to-remember points for starting a new job and more.
Valleri
Mar 05, 2016 Valleri rated it really liked it
On my way to library school, I stumbled upon this little gem. Not only does it provide in-depth insider information but this book also gives real-world advice that can be used in any career field. While I currently work in a library and have a very far way to work myself into a librarian position, this book definitely gives me a good idea of how to hit the ground running once I graduate.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This book can be incredibly useful for people who went to library school without ever working in a library. Some great tips, many of which were mentioned in my intro classes for my MLS, and I hope have been for others. I will say this would probably be a good gift for a recent grad, as a refresher and prep for the library world.
Liz De Coster
Mar 27, 2011 Liz De Coster rated it really liked it
Shelves: lis
Concise and full of useful information. I recommend it for anybody looking for their first library job, since it addresses such a wide range of topics. I only wish there was a chapter on funding sources - grant writing, etc.
Victoria Rodrigues
Jan 27, 2011 Victoria Rodrigues rated it did not like it
You mean they don't teach you how to buy affordable groceries, balance a checkbook, or find the best suited job for yourself? At least tell me they filled you in on dental hygiene and women's troubles.
Edna
May 01, 2014 Edna rated it liked it
Shelves: librarianship
Let's face it, 3 stars is the five stars of professional development reading. It just isn't going to get any better than that. There were parts that were relevant to me and parts that were not....I wish I had read it 2.5 years ago. Got some good info out of this book.
Rachel Zibaila
Nov 18, 2013 Rachel Zibaila rated it liked it
Shelves: lis-2323
It had some useful overall tips.
I basically skimmed because most of it just spells out things that you should be learning on the job.
But some times, you don't get that experience because your library doesn't treat you like a librarian.
Or you don't actually have a job in a library yet.
Chelsea Murray
Jan 07, 2014 Chelsea Murray rated it liked it
This is an interesting book, and would be best read during the last year of library school, or directly after if you are looking for direction. I didn't find it the most useful, but it does cover many topics that are useful and not necessarily taught.
Michelle Self-ballard
short but had some good topics and some good resources for further information.
Jen Johnson
Nov 27, 2010 Jen Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: library-science
good, fairly wide range of information. i think the book is really more of a jumping off point for continuing/starting your education in your career. very glad i read it tho.
Medlibrarian
Feb 28, 2013 Medlibrarian rated it it was ok
There is a crying need for this type of book, but while this is a good start, it's a slight volume and I'm not sure it covered a lot of the things it should have.
Emily
Some interesting stuff, but she apparently has WAY more time and/or fellow staff members and/or fewer patrons than I do.
Rachael
Sep 25, 2016 Rachael rated it liked it
Meh. Good information, but doesn't deliver as much as the title promises. We actually did discuss a lot of this in library school. Also, geared primarily towards public librarians.
Judith
Oct 31, 2010 Judith rated it really liked it
Shelves: libraryland
While the themes in this book can be applied for any job field, it was still a nice quick read.
Gwen
Dec 07, 2010 Gwen rated it liked it
to review for Information Today, February 2011 issue. Want to give some chapters to colleagues to read! Is that mean? Would they take it wrong?
Jule
Lots of useful advice and new things to think about, but also the realization that there are many many more areas this book could have covered that aren't taught in library school.
Amanda
Feb 24, 2012 Amanda added it
conversational tone, quick read. good for identifying areas of librarianship that may not be in course work and suggesting resources for learning those skills.
Lesley Looper
I'm glad I read this one. I found myself skimming some of the sections, but this book is probably worth a review after I'm through with school.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
  • The Readers' Advisory Guide To Genre Fiction
  • Young Adult Literature: From Romance to Realism
  • The Librarian's Book of Lists
  • Rethinking Information Work: A Career Guide for Librarians and Other Information Professionals
  • Quiet, Please: Dispatches From A Public Librarian
  • Foundations of Library and Information Science
  • This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All
  • The Anarchist in the Library: How the Clash Between Freedom and Control Is Hacking the Real World and Crashing the System
  • Reflective Teaching, Effective Learning: Instructional Literacy for Library Educators
  • Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management, 2/e
  • Glut: Mastering Information through the Ages
  • Developing Library and Information Center Collections
  • Reading Matters: What the Research Reveals about Reading, Libraries, and Community