Start by marking “Second Chances” as Want to Read:
Second Chances

Second Chances

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  2,060 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
Ten years ago, Rori Simon left town shy, unattractive and with zero self-esteem. Now she’s back, older, stronger and finally loving herself—and it shows. Hot men are soon knocking at her door, including Jude Callahan, the bad boy who starred in her teenage daydreams...and her adult fantasies.

Jude can’t believe the sexy, confident woman before him is actually Rori! She’s go
Published October 25th 2010 by Carina Press (first published September 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Second Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Chances

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog

4.5 Stars

“Fate has a funny way of kicking you in the butt.” ~ Rori Simon

**Deep Breath** Okay. This was not what I expected. This was not predicable. This was not your typical contemporary/erotic romance. This story turned out to be more than I bargained for. It broke a lot of rules. Though I questioned its direction, it did weave one hell of a story.

This story had three main characters: Rori, Jude & Zach. Umm, yeah, no. This was not that type of romance either (lol). Rori has just returne
Kristen
Wow! What an emotional ride. For a book I wasn't to sure about, I ended up loving this heartwrenching, emotional, tantalizing, and very captivating story.
Elizabeth (Liz)
Uh, wow. So much for thinking in the beginning that this was a simple and straightforward contemporary romance. This was an emotional and sexual roller coaster.......and a fantastic monster of one at that! Well, done, Lauren Dane! Well done!

A big thank you to Karla for suggesting I read this. She was right....as usual;-)
ALPHAreader
Sep 25, 2010 ALPHAreader rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Heather
I was torn between 3 and 4 stars on this one. I ended up going with four and here is why. The love scenes in this book were HOT! The chemistry was HOT! The dialogue was great, the characters were well developed and the story line was good.

What I didn't like: The plot moved forward a little too fast in the beginning making some of the encounters and relationships seem unrealistic. Then, when things should have sped up, they slowed down.

I absolutely adored Jude in all of his man-whore ways. Jude w
marlene
Oct 15, 2009 marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Kelly
Nov 01, 2010 Michelle Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
Can I just say how awesome Lauren Dane is! Nobody does sexy erotica with such an awesome story line like her.

Second Chances had it all. Hearbreak, love, steamy erotica (OMG HOT!!), relationships problems, cheating, marriage, more love (so much love!!), jealousy oh and such sadness, OMG the tears that I cried. All of this wrapped up in one package that I couldn't put down.

The only reason I am not giving perfect stars is I wish the ending played out a bit longer. It seemed like an amazing journe
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
I almost put off reading this book because I have just read 2 others in a series by her and they were good, but started to feel very similar. This book was very different from there other seven or so I have ready by Dane. I loved it! It's going on the favorites shelf.

I loved that it wasn't totally predictable and there were a few twists and turns that made it a "page turner" for me. I cant wait to continue the story in Believe. I am just sad that it is a short story.

✳✳ Reviewed on I ♥ Bookie Noo
Alycia
I loved this novella from Lauren Dane. I have not read a ton by Dane, just her Brown Siblings Series. This one was a nice departure.

Rori Simon decides to move back home after leaving ten years before to go to school and find herself. Once a shy, sweet, homely girl Rori is now confident, independent and beautiful.

Rori is quickly thrust back into life in a small town with her family and she is looking to make Jude Callahan, her childhood crush hers. Jude is a lady's man, but quickly recognizes th
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This was an excellent erotic romance story, again very well written by Ms. Dane. She always manages to create characters that you get attached to and seem very real, while weaving an intricate and very emotional web that is their lives.

And this book was definetely no exception. It is emotionally charged, had me in tears, it's also got some funny parts. It describes the day to day lives of the characters involved perfectly.

Let me start with the heroine. I really liked her. She was the shy, awkwar
Samantha
Cyn Mistress Kitty
What a great emotional story. I bawled and bawled towards the end that I could hardly see to read. I loved that the heroine Rori was a strong, confident woman who knows what she wants and speaks her mind. I also loved Zack and even though Jude was a womanizing asshole in the beginning, it was great to see his transformation at the end.
I can't wait to read Believe.
Erica
Darcy
Apr 18, 2011 Darcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, e-book, erotica, bdsm
Carrie
Oct 14, 2010 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Lauren Dane fangirl and I was really excited when this book showed up on NetGalley. I immediately downloaded it to my Kindle and started reading. This is a fantastic erotic romance. The couples in the story are into D/s and Ms. Dane knows how to write that type of relationship well without going overboard. SECOND CHANCES is a very hot book, and has a lot of heart as well as heat.

SECOND CHANCES is full of fantastic characters. Rori is great and “watching” her get a happily ever after
Heather
Oct 23, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lauren Dane has written yet another book that brings the readers not just the highs of love, but the lows, and makes you want to read MORE. Rori's personal growth from shy and awkward teen to sexy and confident felt believable in light of what she had accomplished while away, and the immediate attraction between her and Rori, and later Zach, felt steamy and natural. I loved that she was confident in who she was, what she wanted professionally, personally, and sexually, and that she demanded her ...more
Robin *loves sexy books*
Emily
There is so much about the story that shouldn't be revealed so I am just going straight to my thoughts. The book was intense, seductive, and filled with an enormous amount of love that you felt through each and every page. Made my spine tingle, just a beautifully written book that really grasped at the depths of fully giving yourself to someone as well as becoming who you were always meant to be.
Susi
Oct 18, 2010 Susi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always I'm highly impressed how much emotion Ms Dane puts in her novels. Before I have to admit I started this novel because it has Ms. Dane's name on it and I didn't even read the blurb before starting it. I have to say it's awesome to start a book this way. I started it without any expectations or thoughts about what might or might not happen. Yes I expected it to be a book full of family and love. and with the right amount of smut and that's exactly what I got.

In Second Chances we meet Ror
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Rori Simon left town 10 years ago an over weight and shy girl only to return as an attractive self confident woman. When she finally catches the eye of the town bad boy, Jude Callahan, she is ready to let loose all the wicked fantasies she had about him. When Jude awakens the submissive in Rori they both feel the powerful connection between them grow. But Rori has grown up and Jude hasn't and his playboy ways send Rori packing. Now all Jude can do is sit back and watch as Rori meets Zach Helms. ...more
Ailsa
Jan 30, 2011 Ailsa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts: I'm not quite sure how I feel about this book. I really liked it at first, but somewhere in the middle... it just didn't do it for me.

The book starts off well - we're introduced to Rori as she arrives back home after a very long time away. I found Rori to be immediately likeable, and her relationship with her sister and sister's family at their reunion was very believable. I think one thing that helped me like Rori is the way that she used to be a very awkward teenager, and then lef
Marisa
Lauren Dane’s book Second Chances is about discovering what’s really important by being fully honest with yourself. This was an emotional book that explores acceptance, love, tragedy, and reconciliation. Ms. Dane packs a lot into this book, it has many facets and they coalesce into tragedy and eventually triumph.

Rori Simon was once a young girl with no self-esteem but grows up to become a confident woman returning to her home town with her eye on the one man she’s always wanted, Jude Callahan.
Melissa
Jamie *Gypsy Smut-a-teer*
This book was awesome!! It for real did something to me. I have had this book downloaded to my kindle for quiet sometime now. I can't believe it has taken me so long to read it. It is for sure a new favorite. The sex was extremely hot in this book!!! And the ending, sigh!!!

Rori has just came home from Paris ending a relationship where she found her boyfriend cheating on her in their bed. First thing, she runs into her high school crush who when she left she was madly in love with but never notic
Lynsey
Ellie
This book is pretty complex. In fact it's like 4 or 5 plots in 1. I'm still trying to comprehend what happened here and whether I liked it or not. I think I've decided that the complexity was nice, sort of similar to life. We really get to see Rori transition in this book.

I didn't really like the end to the one relationship. Something like that is difficult to write especially when trying to express how a character copes to move on. It felt like it happened too quickly and I really felt like Jud
Laz the Sailor
Good but not great. Although many other comments said that this was original and creative, I didn't have the same reaction. I even saw the twist coming, though I was off by a few chapters.

That said, Second Chances is very well written, and the exploration of how a little D/s can go a long way with a smart and strong woman was refreshing. The supporting cast was pretty good, though the various mothers were quite stereotypical.

If you're looking for a deep love story with some hot sex, this is your
Mandy
Nov 30, 2012 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lauren-dane
Solid 3.5. I really liked Rori! She was a solid character no crazy issues to speak of and she really stuck up for herself, especially where Jude and her mother were concerned. She knew what kind of guy Jude was once she realized he a piece of crapola manwhore, she moved on. Then Zach shows up. I gotta admit that when Jude and Rori broke things off, I was very sad. Jude was such a jerk and he really dug a hole for himself.
Zach.... for me... he was Jude but new and improved. A bit of an odd premi
Jamie
Oct 16, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, romance, erotica
I was able to read this via netgalley and all I can say is OMG is it HOT!

The characters were relatable and real. The writing was very much to my liking. This is my first Lauren Dane book and from what I've been hearing you need a BIG TALL glass of ICY COLD water while reading her stuff....YUP that is indeed a true statement!

Naturally I will be checking out more of Ms. Dane's books in the future!
Books and Boys Book Blog
***ARC PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW***

‘Second Chances’ by Lauren Dane was a fun, fast read that had me laughing one minute and crying the next.

Rori left over 10 years ago a shell of herself. While growing up away from her hateful mothers words, she becomes this beautiful, strong, sexy woman. When her crush Jude sees her they have a few steamy nights together, but Jude's reluctance to say what he feels to Rori causing them to have a falling out. Rori is a hot commodity
Brandy
Feb 03, 2015 Brandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Well, it looks like I lost out. I remember this sweet story. This is the one every "ugly duckling" loves with a "high school" reunion looking better and sexier. She's torn between two men and it was amazing what happened. She finds love again. I don't want to spoil it, but Zach and Jude are amazing. Sure Jude was an asshole at first. I wonder what the newer expanded version is different. I'll have to ask others. This is definitely a lovely and oh so smexy tale by the talented Ms. Dane.
Alma (aka Mrs. Rhaw)
It's a bit difficult for me to rate this book as I'm not a great fan of second chances.
Jude is a pick but we dig pricks as we want to change them into a marriage material. :)
Zach... I didn't feel the connection between him and Rori. Actually for some reason I saw him much younger than Rori and that didn't sit well.
Rori...
BUT...
THERE IS A BUT
When a song plays in my head when I read a book my perception changes.
and this song played in my head at the end of Chapter 12 beginning of Chapter 13

Car is
Smutlover
Nov 28, 2012 Smutlover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm
I really, really liked this one. I had to hold my emotions in check because I was sitting on the train but who knew erotica would make you cry? I really liked Rori, she was spunky yet sweet and trusting. Jake deserved to lose her after the way he treated her. I'm glad she hooked up with Zach, he seemed really amazing. This book was a bit predictable but it was still really good. This is one I would read again.
K.
Dec 22, 2010 K. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K. by: KarenH
Shelves: audiobooks, tbr-i-own
DNF! BDSM with more than one hero is just not my personal cuppa! I can't make myself interested ... no matter how popular it is. Oh well ... good reader though ... :/

UPDATED TO ADD: I'm removing my initial star review and trying this again since I didn't have enough information and wasn't in the right mind set when I took it up the first time. We'll see ...?!
K.
Sassafrass
Mar 26, 2011 Sassafrass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm, z-2011
I really liked this book. It could have been a bit longer to work out the relationships a bit more for me to LOVE it, but I really did like it. I didn't know how I was going to feel with the heroine having two loves in one book, but I thought that the author handled it well. I just wish it didn't seem so rushed at the end.
Good BDSM, great emotion, and smokin' hot sex!
Kat
Samantha Woods
Jul 13, 2013 Samantha Woods rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from the library and absolutely loved it! If ever there was a story of getting a second chance at love this is it.. I could not put it down! I started it this morning and finished it tonight.. lol... This is definitely a must read!
Norma
I just couldn't get into this one. I've liked most of what LD has written, but this one was just silly. Also, I kept feeling like I was reading scenes from her Chase books. I think there may have been exact lines from those books!
Melissa Pandolfi
NO (Spoiler alert)

Now, I want to start be saying I love Lauren Dane. I think she's a fantastic author. But, this book was not for me. I couldn't even finish it. I loved the story of Rori and Zach. And thought Jude got just what was coming to him, to have to watch her fall in love with someone else and someone better. He was such a dirtbag. And as I got closer to the end of the story I started to worry...what did the synopsis mean? And then to have Zach die!!!! Nope. Not going to read the rest. J
Angela
19 December 2014: $3.49 on Kindle
Kazen
Jun 16, 2015 Kazen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Dane's earlier works and while it lacks the polish I'm used to it's still a good read. Her favorite tropes are here - there's a group of handsome young guys that work together, a heroine that knows what she likes, and plenty of BDSM in the air. Good times.

There's a bit of reality in the second half of the book. The kind of reality that can make you tear up and get a little farklemt. That's not my favorite cup of tea but it's dealt with in a realistic and speedy manner, considering
~~Susan~~
Jan 03, 2015 ~~Susan~~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was angry at 62%
crying at 86%
and pleasantly surprised at the end.
Jen
'REREAD! I forgot how much I like Rori.
  • Naughty and Nice: A Holiday Romance Collection
  • Ink Spots (Simple Need, #3)
  • Good Girls Don’t
  • Master of the Sun
  • Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off (Country Music Collection, #1)
  • Butterfly Unpinned
  • Texas Tangle (Tangled #1)
  • The Bikini Diaries
  • Challenging Carter (The Strip, #3)
  • Light Switch
  • Turn It Up (Turn It Up, #1)
  • Bound to Please
  • Perfect Sin (Clayton, #2)
  • Do Over
  • Bottoms Up (Purgatory Club #5)
  • Taking Care of Business (Kate & Leah, #1)
  • Wild, Wicked, & Wanton
  • Hurt Me So Good (The Connaghers #2)
Lauren Dane has been writing stories since she was able to use a pencil, and before that she used to tell them to people. Of course, she still talks nonstop, and through wonderful fate and good fortune, she’s now able to share what she writes with others. It’s a wonderful life!

The basics: Lauren is a mom, a partner, a best friend and a daughter. Living in the rainy but beautiful Pacific Northwest,
More about Lauren Dane...