Start by marking “The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)

The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation #2)

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  844 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Exploring a deserted alien spaceship, Lt. Commander Data and Lt. Geordi LaForge suddenly find themselves transported light-years away -- into the prison cell, into the middle of a deadly conflict!
While Captain Picard and the crew of the U.S.S. EnterpriseTM search feverishly for the missing crewmen, Data and LaForge discover they are in a station almost identical to the on
Published May 23rd 2000 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Peacekeepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Peacekeepers

Katrin von Martin
Before I begin to talk about The Peacekeepers, here's my disclaimer: I'm very new to the Star Trek fandom. I have not seen the entire Next Generation series (only what is occasionally reran on television) and this is only my second Star Trek book. Therefore, I do not have a lot to compare it to (only the other Trek book and other science fiction books). That being said, I felt this book was about average. The other Trek novel I read (Ghost Ship) felt a little off, but The Peacekeepers was decen ...more
Daniel Shaw-cosman
Not a worthwhile TNG novel. Some interesting insights into how Geordi sees the world, but otherwise it takes place mostly off of Enterprise and is not very interesting. Also, Troi kept calling the captain "Jean Luc". Very strange...
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Even for a big fan like me this book is hard. The story is lame, the characters are just stupid and nothing really happens. It's just a long and than this happens and than this happens....
Jesse A
Just dull. I kept waiting for something interesting but nothing.
Jason
In honor of the 25th anniversary, of what would be my all time favorite show if it were not for The X-Files,Star Trek the Next Generation is coming to Blu-Ray totally redone. Having read most of the novels over two decades ago, I thought that I would write my general feel for the serial STNG novels. I could never do a real review now, other than to say that I loved them.

Star Trek the Next Generation was both my favorite science fiction series in college, and also my favorite serial novel. I was
Adam
After reading the first book I was really hoping the second would turn things around for the characters. It sort of succeeded on this front, because I didn’t feel as outraged by the characters as the first book. So whatever attempt the author made to simulate the characters they did a semi decent job. Data still feels a bit off, but I went back and watched the first season and I feel like his character changed a bit between the first and second seasons. Since these novels are based around the fi ...more
Dark-Draco
The crew of the Enterprise come across a deserted, apparently derelict, alien spaceship and start exploring its unusual corridors. But, when the away team trigger a self destruct, only two make it back to the ship. Data and LaForge disappear. While Picard and the others try to find out where they have gone, the two find themselves on an almost identical ship, one that is in orbit around a planet. The people have been using the alien techology to ensure peace on their world, but it doesn't take l ...more
Brian Lewis
I thought there was a bit more to the story than "Ghost Ship" had. The mysterious technology could have been fun to explore, but we end up dwelling on another caricature of a primitive society that has already been driven into our heads over countless episodes of each series.

Not bad, not good, just so-so.
Daniel
Aside from providing mindless diversion on a train ride, there isn't much positive to be said for this. It makes a poor sci fi story, has awkward characterization even for a plot set in TNG's inferior first season, and stretches believability within the broad confines of the Star Trek universe. The story unfolds in an agonizingly slow manner where half the time is spent with futile searching by the Enterprise's early engineer and the constant berating of the crew by a demanding Picard. For awhil ...more
Robert
Biographyguy
What had started out as a quality edition of the Star Trek: The Next Generation novels ended up becoming a huge disappointment. After all the buildup of the primary villain, Kel-Nar, the reader receives no resolution to his involvement. Instead we are treated to Worf improvising his way to the book's conclusion. Also, I tend to believe that those featured on the cover of the book should be the primary characters in the narrative. So while one might suppose that Worf, Picard and Troi would be the ...more
Morbus Iff
Being very early in the TNG timeline, both show and novel, this was "nothing more" than a parable of our world and future potentially going astray if we don't get our act together. Low-tech and unknowingly inaccurate (it claims Geordi has no physical eyes vs. just being blind), but the episodic beats were predictably hit. The ending was an incredible farce of eye-widening "really?!"
Dan J
Great fun for fans of the series.
Kristen
I have a shit ton of Trek books and decided to reread them all, one every so often, starting at the beginning. Wow, i dont know if it is just because the first season sucked or what. But his was out of character with massive violations of the Prime Directive that just would not have happened. It was a fun story overall,but lots of things in character development that just grated.
Michael
I've decided to read one of these between every couple of real books that I read. Heh. This was better than #1.

Angela
A solid story set in Season 1. Geordi and Data are the main characters getting involved with the plot, everybody else is really on the sidelines. It does feel like an episode from that era, with characters acting like the tv ones. Lots of technobabble that needs to be understood to appreciate the plot, would have preferred a more character driven one.
Lovisa
Didn't finish it. Maybe I should have given it more time, but it just wasn't very interesting to me. The authors style it a bit too descriptive to my tastes. I want to know what the characters are feeling and thinking and there just wasn't anything like that in the first part of the novel at least.
Mike McDevitt
It's duller than dull. It's DULL DULL DULL! This is in no way supergreen. Geordi and Data vs Superman IV. Chief Argyle vs a series of locked empty rooms and no D&D Beholder in any of them. Watch 'A Taste of Armageddon' again or read Arthur Clarke's Rama books.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This book was just okay for me. I'm a big fan of STNG. The book is just not as good as the show. Even though I could picture each character in my head, it just didn't to it for me. I think I'll stick to the shows and movies.
Daniel Kukwa
A non-medicinal method of curing insomnia! This is a book so dull and lifeless, you wonder if Anthony Trollope had jumped a century ahead of his time to write a dry-as-dust "Star Trek TNG" novel...
Jeff
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad. But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
Travis
Would have made a decent TV episode but didn't work great as a book. Big problem is in the early Next Generation books characterization was pretty shallow.
Heather Nichols
overall ok. some fresh character insights. a little tedious at the start, but ended well to make for a light pleasurable read.
Erik Weingardt
A decent Star Trek novel if you want something quick to read. Not an outstanding plot, but still kept my interest.
Joseph Barnes
Just not that good of a story. Slow and thrown together.
Camille
A La Forge and Data centered novel.
Clait
Very badly written. Couldn't finish.
Samuel
A NextGen rehash of Chain of Attack.
Jenn
was funny and very good.
Carmen
Ok-ish, I guess.
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek The Next Generation, #13)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Sins of Commission (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #29)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • The Last Stand (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #37)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 102 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)
Chain of Attack Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36) Lord of the Necropolis (Ravenloft, #17) The Final Nexus Renegade