Start by marking “Cinco de Mouse-O!” as Want to Read:
Cinco de Mouse-O!

Cinco de Mouse-O!

Que felicidad! It s Cinco de Mayo, and Mouse follows his nose to the festival, where musicians play, dancers stomp,

and delicious treats abound. Then Mouse spots a pin ata and wants just one piece of candy . . . but he isn t the only one looking for a snack. Cat is planning his own fiesta with Mouse on the menu! This lively cat-and-mouse tale offers a

humorous and easy intr
Published February 1st 2010 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Cinco de Mouse-O!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinco de Mouse-O!

Kathryn
So, how cute is that little mouse on the cover? Super adorable, right!? I so wanted to love this book. Especially because it's one only a few books I've foun about Cinco de Mayo.

Alas, I failed to realize that this is from the same author as One is a Feast for Mouse: A Thanksgiving Tale; indeed, this is the same mouse (looking forward to all the yummy food on a fiesta day!) pursued by the same cat who was so ill-treated in the last book. This time, the cat sneaks out of the house and follows the
Maria Armenta
Nov 26, 2014 Maria Armenta rated it it was amazing
It's Cinco de Mayo, and Mouse follows his nose to the festival, where musicians play, dancers stomp, and delicious treats abound. Then Mouse spots a pinata and wants just one piece of candy but he isn't the only one looking for a snack. Cat is planning his own fiesta with Mouse on the menu!

This is a cute book with adorable illustrations, but I did not feel like it did a great job of highlighting and explaining the cultural reasons behind Cinco de Mayo. I really wish they would've gone more into
Donalyn
Mouse, the star of Cox's One is a Feast for a Mouse, returns for another holiday adventure. Waking up to fantastic cooking smells, Mouse discovers a Cinco De Mayo celebration underway in the town square. Determined to get the candy treats from a pinata, Mouse doesn't notice the cat stalking him. Filled with great word choices like Spanish terms (burro, plaza, mariachis, chorizos, serapes), alliteration (hidey-hole, confetti-covered, zigging and zagging), and active verbs (stomping, tapping, crou ...more
J-Lynn
This is a really fun read aloud for Cinco de Mayo. Mouse, from Cox's other books, follows his nose to find a fiesta at the park. During his quest for food, we see the Cinco de Mayo festival through his eyes. A cat also stalks him throughout the book, but gets run off when the pinata explodes.

The illustrations are in acrylic paint, pastels, and colored pencil on paper. They show an adorable mouse through various perspectives including a two page spread where we see the world reflected in his gla
Jessica Bingham
May 02, 2013 Jessica Bingham rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A cute story for Cinco de Mayo. Mouse is wakes up to wonderful smells and sounds and tries to figure out where the fiesta is happening. He wanders outside to discover people dancing, eating, and singing. There are decorations everywhere. There are even bright paper flowers and a burrow pinata. Mouse smells all the delicious treats inside the pinata and tries to get into it. All of a sudden, a child swings a stick at the pinata, and Mouse goes flying into the air. The pinata bursts open and all t ...more
Jordan Coffman
Dec 07, 2016 Jordan Coffman rated it it was ok
This is a traditional literature book. The grade level for this book would be first grade to fifth grade but is good for any level because it tells about a certain Mexican holiday. I would say that the course curriculum for this book would be social skills and social studies because it's telling about a holiday that is celebrated in Mexico. I would say that there was no concern with this book for parents or teachers. This is a book about a mouse that always celebrate Cinco de Mayo and they call ...more
Alexa Maring
Apr 10, 2011 Alexa Maring rated it really liked it
Cinco de Mayo is a holiday in which we often are confused on what the celebration is actually for. Use this book as an introduction to the holiday and a culture that is different from American culture. With the use of words like fiesta and tamales, students who speak Spanish can be given the opportunity to explain to other students what the terms mean and what Cinco de Mayo is. This book is a great opportunity for introducing new cultures and allowing students of this culture to express themselv ...more
Deb Tyo
Nov 20, 2011 Deb Tyo rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I can't wait to read this book to my sixth graders and see if they can identify the poetic elements used by the author!

Many examples of assonance, consonance, alliteration, and similes can be found in this text.

"He didn't see greedy Cat stalk him down the street." -Assonance

"He smelled the treats - fruity, sugary, and honey sweet." -Consonance

"A mighty blow and the burro burst." -Alliteration

"Cat waited for Mouse to fall into his paws like a ripe plum." -Simile

Shelley
Sep 11, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: cinco-de-mayo, esol
This is a good book to introduce Cinco de Mayo to students. This book contains many spanish words and would also be good for ESOL students. This book is culturally responsive to children who might celebrate Cinco de Mayo, by allowing them to share thier culture through the use of this book they can cross the language barrier. Students will enjoy the advanetures of this little mouse on Cinco de Mayo.
RLL22016_EsmeraldaValerio
May 31, 2016 RLL22016_EsmeraldaValerio rated it really liked it
Cinco de Mouse-O in my eyes was a very unusual reading. Even thought it provided some accurate information of one of the most valued events in Mexican history, I would placed it as very unauthentic. I loved the very detailed pictures because it I was to read it to a child it would catch their attention immediately. I do believe that using a mouse is one of the key ideas that makes this book unauthentic.
Jackie
Mouse smells something delicious whafting up into his hidey-hole. Where is it coming from? He is careful to sneak past the cat, following the aroma all the way. He finds a celebration in progress...a Cinco De Mayo celebration! He scurries around and lands on a burro pinata. The children are whacking it and out comes so many delicious treats...just one will be good enough for mouse!

Used for "Celebrate! Cinco De Mayo" storytime: May, 2011.
Alice
May 07, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
This a cute story of Cinco De Mayo from a mouse's perspective. He goes through the house and the town where the Cinco De Mayo celebrations are in full swing. A good book for informational purposes to help children understand what Cinco De Mayo is and the importance of it to the Mexican people and it also can just be a nice story. I don't love the pictures (not my style) but at least there is a book about Cinco De Mayo as they seem few and far between!!!
Dolly
May 23, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun little story about the Cinco de Mayo. It's not very educational, just a little romp for a little mouse looking for a treat. The illustrations are cute, especially the mouse. And the poor old cat who stalks the mouse throughout the story gets his comeuppance. Overall, a nice, but not very memorable tale.
carissa
Yum! Yum! A delicious beany, cheesy smell wakes up Mouse. He follows his nose down the street to a Cinco de Mayo festival. There, high in a tree, he spies a magnifica pinata. If only Mouse could get just one piece of candy from it. But danger is everywhere, from the stomping feet of dancers to Cat, who is planning a holiday fiesta of his own with Mouse on the menu.
Maria Garcia
Jun 03, 2015 Maria Garcia rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantacy-sifi
This cute mouse goes all around town to follow his instinct until he found the Cinco de Mayo party. This is a cute book with great illustrations, but I did not feel like it did a great job of highlighting and explaining the cultural reasons behind Cinco de Mayo. I really wish they would've gone more into the history of this holiday.
Brittany N
Sep 16, 2012 Brittany N rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ells
Cinco de Mayo happens to be my favorite holiday so I thought this book was extra cute. Mouse wakes up from a delicious smell and follows it down the street to the Cinco de Mayo festival. This book can support Spanish ELLs as well as everyone else in the class because it gives those ELLs a chance to identify with their culture while teaching the others in the class about a popular Spanish holiday.
Nesa
Dec 29, 2011 Nesa rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The artwork in this book is wonderful. If you're looking for a book to introduce the Cinco de Mayo celebration,however, this is not the book for you. The Cinco de Mayo celebration simply serves as a background for a a traditional cat and mouse chase. Overall, though, its a cute book and I would use it for a story time about celebrations.
Sandybear76
beautiful illustrations. Little mouse from a Feast for one is back, this time he smells food from the fiesta. He explores the fiesta and finds tasty tidbits along the way but he really wants the treats from the pinata.

Katie Brown
Sep 17, 2012 Katie Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: ell
This is a very cute book. It is about Mouse who goes on an adventure. He wakes up to music, food and fun. He discovers that it is a Cinco de May celebration. This book is good for talking about the significance of the holiday and all of the customs.
Tanya
Aug 06, 2013 Tanya rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The book teaches about Cinco de Mayo by having a mouse weave around through people celebrating it. It was rather dull, despite weaving in an adventure. The cat and mouse felt superfluous. I'm biased against pedantic approaches, though.
Jodie
Mar 02, 2013 Jodie rated it really liked it
Cute Cinco de Mayo story featuring the Mouse from One is a Feast for Mouse. The story shows the celebration that is Cinco de Mayo. Of course the cat makes an appearance as well!
Erika Stauffer
Apr 29, 2011 Erika Stauffer rated it liked it
This is a good book to read to students on Cinco De Mayo. I really liked the illustartions in the book.
Jennifer Morgan
Dec 29, 2013 Jennifer Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Judy Cox's books are very good. We have read four of them. Three of them are about this little mouse doing different things. I highly recommend this book and her other ones.
Kelli
May 25, 2014 Kelli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multi-cultural
A fun filled adventure centered on the celebration of Cinco de Mayo. The colorful artwork can be used as conversation starters.

Katrina
A cute story about a mouse experiencing Cinco De Mayo. A good book to use to introduce Cinco De Mayo to young students.
Chanel
This is a cute book about a little mouse that wants a piece of candy for the cinco de mayo celebration. he has to go through a lot to get it.
Kimberly
Jan 20, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Great story! I can't wait to use this one.
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Alfajirikali
Alfajirikali rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2010