Kings & Queens of England

Kings & Queens of England

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Arranged chronologically by dynasty, Kings and Queens of England details the most notorious events throughout British royal history. Hundreds of fascinating tales of murder, mayhem, and scandal are brought to life with contemporary accounts, archival paintings, photographs and vivid illustrations--together with detailed family trees showing the tangled lineage of each roya...more
Published October 13th 2003 by Reader's Digest Association

Gwenette
My knowledge of English royal history is woefully inadequate (considering how much I love Shakespeare), so I thought this would fill in the blanks. It's done an okay job of that, but the writing is very simplistic. Of course, it helped me answer a Jeopardy question tonight, so it can't be all bad. :-)

Well, I finished it, and it was interesting enough. Filled in lots of blanks, so that's good. Didn't spend much time on Elizabeth II -- much more time on Diana (who was never queen), so I guess they...more
Tamra
I'm a British History nut so I found this book fascinating. I've read about the kings and queens of England in more detail before, but this book focused solely on the "dark" side of the British monarchy. Because Ms. Lewis didn't spend a lot of time dwelling on the positive times of monarchy rule and skipped neatly along to the not-so-great times, it was a fast-paced read, racing through 1,000 years of British rule.

I learned quite a few things I didn't know before but because it moved so fast, I...more
Cathy I
Kind of a national enquirer reading of the kings and queens throughout history.
Sanjana Daya

A good, brief history of the British Royals. It outlines the succession of monarchs clearly and with the details of their rise and fall. However it doesn't go into the details of the monarchs during their rule of course. Many of them were simply brushed over because of their lack of scandal. This book can be used as a map of the monarchs in British history and a useful picture book but not much else.
J
An informative and interesting book. Very appealing, excellently written and accessible to the average reader. Includes some typos, but nevertheless, a wonderful short introduction to the British monarchs Eleanor of Aquitaine, Richard the Lionheart and many more, full of scandals, intrigue and dark deeds of history.
Cat
History as Gossip Rag.
Typos, slipshod history, poorly written, focused entirely on the tawdry at the expense of the fascinating historical events. Brenda Ralph Lewis has NO business taking on history - she should stick to the gossip rags she is used to. She bit off WAY more than she was qualified to handle.
Paula
Highly readable book, with interestingly obscure information. My only issue was sometimes it skimped on some detail (such as the the two dead princes allegedly murdered by King Richard). But overall, it was very enjoyable and made me want to read more - included some wonderful stuff about Henry VIII!
Claudia
Those queens and kings were, for the most part, a bunch of rascals [or worse]. While I won't be able to keep all the monarchs straight in my mind, I can use the book as a quick reference. It was an interesting read, and the portraits and photos were interesting.
Jason
What an interesting trek through the twisted world of the English Monarchy. I knew that the history of the kings and Queens of England was full of interesting and salacious tidbits, but I had no idea how salacious those tidbits were until I read this book.
Judie
Covers the more sensational aspects of the British monarchy beginning with William the Conqueror in 1066 and moving into the present. Includes many interesting photos and some brief genealogies.
Jessica
Meh. It is a coffee table book. If you have looked at English history at all, you know most of these stories already.
Mac
Another coffee table book, with basic information about the King's and Queen's of England.
Rose East
Good, plenty of illustrations. Good if you just want some info quickly.
Mardi
Loved it! Clear, concise, efficient way to get thru the Monarchy...
Janette
Found it on sale. Love it! Great reference book when I need it!
Sharmine
Great book for history, drama, intrigue & the evils of royalty
Neal
Neal is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2014
Bsg
Bsg added it
Feb 16, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Feb 07, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Jan 11, 2014
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Brenda Ralph Lewis is a writer with over 200 books on history and numerous magazine articles and television documentaries to her name. Her fascination with Scottish history and culture began early in her career and she has since returned to the subject at every opportunity. She regards [her] book on tartans as a labor of love.
More about Brenda Ralph Lewis...
Dark History Of The Kings And Queens Of Europe The Popes (A Dark History) The Story of Anne Frank Life in a Medieval Castle Hitler Youth: The Hitlerjugend in Peace and War, 1933-1945