Start by marking “Over the Cliff: How Obama's Election Drove the American Right Insane” as Want to Read:
Over the Cliff: How Obama's Election Drove the American Right Insane

Over the Cliff: How Obama's Election Drove the American Right Insane

A witty look at Tea Parties and the reactionaries that is both funny and frightening. It explores how it overtook the conservative movement after Obama became president. The book helps readers make sense of the chaos in the media and offers ideas for bringing a stop to it and help make America sane again
Compiling example after example, the editors of Crooks and Liars, a
Published June 1st 2010 by Polipoint Press (first published May 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Over the Cliff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over the Cliff

Donna
Feb 06, 2011 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays-ideas
For those who follow current events closely, there will be few surprises in Over the Cliff. The book reviews many of the events that have occurred in the two years since the inauguration of President Obama, placing them in the context of the history of conservative extremism in the United States. By documenting the scope and extent of the misinformation, fear tactics, and violent rhetoric employed by the Right—and the extent to which that radical right has become almost synonymous with the Repub ...more
Wolfgang
Feb 07, 2016 Wolfgang rated it liked it
Short history of how America's conservatives lost their minds after Obama became president. Well written condensed account of all major wingnuttery. But all this is probably too fresh still, as it seemed quite redundant to read now while all this is still going on around us.
Susan Arra
Apr 17, 2015 Susan Arra rated it it was amazing
I found it very interesting and quite disturbing....the crazies on the far right must be stopped!!
Beth
Feb 20, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
Meh.

I was in the mood for a political book, and this fit the bill. What I found disappointing was that this merely rehashed the various media stories and so-called "journalism" from the likes of Glenn Beck, but really didn't delve into WHY the right freaked out over Obama's election.

This was published in 2010, and what I found heartening is that just four years later, Sarah Palin is no longer a political force and Glenn Beck no longer has a TV show. A nice reminder that what might seem threaten
Harvey Chess
The American Racist Right...
Alaina
Sep 18, 2010 Alaina rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, politics
I had completely forgotten how new the Tea Party, and Glenn Beck for that matter, is to American politics. They're so ubiquitous now, it's hard to remember when they weren't here. This book is a very good chronicle of their rise, something I'll look forward to reading many years from now when I know how the current right wing populist movement fared. My main quibble is that there are no footnotes/endnotes. The book appears to be very well-sourced; the authors could have done a slightly better jo ...more
James
Aug 19, 2010 James rated it really liked it
This book is a good summary of the reaction of the right wing to the election of Obama and the collapse of the economy. It is a good introduction to these issues that provides a lot of avenues for further readings. However, I give it a 4 out of 5 instead of 5 because it could go deeper in its analysis and connection of issues and movements.

I strongly recommend Neiwarts other recent book, the Eliminationists, which looks at how extreme right wing hate and conspiracy ideology gets mainstreamed.
Michael
Oct 08, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, non-fiction
As a Progressive, books like have a tendency to “preach to the choir.” However, this did not stop me from enjoying this book. At times the text seemed to ramble across many subject matters, however, I am glad to see books like this available as a counterweight to trash written by people such as Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly, and Ann Coulter.
Patrick
Dec 29, 2012 Patrick rated it liked it
Shelves: history-politics
A slim (271 page) chronological history of the rise of lunatic fringe opposition to President Obama from 2008-2010. While its helpful as a history, it does nothing to answer the much bigger question of why people would gleefully take marching orders from such obviously unhinged charlatans as Glen Beck.
Marista
Sep 12, 2010 Marista rated it liked it
This book started out great and summed up a lot of the information that was over the news pre and post inauguration. Towards the end, it just kind of carried on about the same stuff and I was ready for it to be over. I wish it would have been 50 pages shorted, then it would have been great.
Kathleen Valentine
Oct 02, 2010 Kathleen Valentine rated it really liked it
This is an enlightening book on the effect the election of our first non-white President has manifested unprecedented outrage in certain sectors of America. Specific examples are particularly interesting.
Matthew
Feb 01, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
In comparison with American Taliban, I think this book is just a tad bit better. It doesn't have the hampering factor of the unnecessary metaphor, and it's just as terrifying.
Archie
Feb 09, 2011 Archie rated it liked it
Nothing surprising here but a pretty good summary of how the right-wing has worked tirelessly to de-legitimize Obama's presidency.
Ladymidnight
Oct 30, 2010 Ladymidnight rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, own, non-fiction, 2010
As a non-American it was interesting to get some background on the far right that has been so scarily in the news recently.
Matt
So far it's a whole lot of stuff I basically know already.
Leigh Anne Kincaid
Oct 21, 2014 Leigh Anne Kincaid rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, nonfiction
Crazy Book.. but fascinating.
Javier Santillan
Oct 05, 2010 Javier Santillan rated it really liked it
Addictive reading, but depressing.
P. W.
P. W. marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2016
Richard Standridge
Richard Standridge rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Ashish R Jain
Ashish R Jain marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Demond
Demond marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Sam Flanagan
Sam Flanagan marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Theresa Asmus
Theresa Asmus marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Michael Latimer
Michael Latimer rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Morgan Dreiss
Morgan Dreiss marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Theremin Poisoning
Theremin Poisoning marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
  • Blowing Smoke: Why the Right Keeps Serving Up Whack-Job Fantasies About the Plot to Euthanize Grandma, Outlaw Christmas, and Turn Junior Into a Raging Homosexual
  • The Backlash: Right-Wing Radicals, High-Def Hucksters, and Paranoid Politics in the Age of Obama
  • Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America
  • Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party
  • The Obama Hate Machine: The Lies, Distortions, and Personal Attacks on the President---and Who Is Behind Them
  • American Taliban: How War, Sex, Sin, and Power Bind Jihadists and the Radical Right
  • Great American Hypocrites: Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics
  • Rebooting the American Dream: 11 Ways to Rebuild Our Country
  • Pitchforks and Torches: The Worst of the Worst, from Beck, Bill, and Bush to Palin and Other Posturing Republicans
  • The Republican War on Science
  • Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative
  • F.U.B.A.R.: America's Right-Wing Nightmare
  • How to Win a Fight with a Conservative
  • Tension City: Inside the Presidential Debates, from Kennedy-Nixon to Obama-McCain
  • Breaking the Sound Barrier
  • Poisoning the Press: Richard Nixon, Jack Anderson, and the Rise of Washington's Scandal Culture
  • Pity the Billionaire: The Hard-Times Swindle and the Unlikely Comeback of the Right
  • The Lies of Sarah Palin: The Untold Story Behind Her Relentless Quest for Power