Pre-Nup

Pre-Nup

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  824 ratings  ·  79 reviews
All you need is love? For the residents of swanky Mayfair Estates, a pre-nup is just another item on the wedding to-do checklist-but three friends get more than they bargained for when they promise tolove, cherish . . . and sign on the dotted line.
Ellie married her handsome, wealthy Prince Charming when she was young, naive, and willing to sign a one-sided pre-nup in the...more
Published November 25th 2008 by Bantam Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pre-Nup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pre-Nup

Shonda
Ellie is married to Michael and they appear to be "Ken and Barbie" of Mayfair Estates. Michael works for his parents' real estate company and Ellie is a SAHM for their daughter Hannah. Ellie also volunteers on numerous committees with her mother-in-law Patrice. Ellie thinks she has a solid marriage until she accidentally reads a text message to her husband from his mistress. She's outraged by his betrayal and impulsively declares their marriage is over. Michael begs her to forgive him and inform...more
April
Nov 23, 2008 April rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers, chick lit readers, any woman who's ever been in a relationship (or wants to be)
Recommended to April by: Goodreads.com
My first "chick lit" book and I LOVED it!

I won this from a Goodreads giveaway and I'm really glad I did. The characters are hilarious, complicated, and realistic. I truly enjoyed every page of this book. Not once did I feel the need, as I do in some books, to skim over unnecessary information or useless dialogue. Every page is packed with relevance, humor and genuine feeling. I felt as if I was a fourth (unnamed) friend being allowed to ride along with the characters as they experienced the ups...more
Rossy
Jan 21, 2010 Rossy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chic-lit fans/married women
This was a good book, fairly typical chic-lit. In my personal opinion though it was not as good as Nearlyweds. Maybe it's that am single and just couldn't relate to how the main characters felt, which was odd because i was able to previously. Perhaps it's the subject of cheating and how the heroines reacted to it. I know for sure i would have done it differently, but again am not married now so who knows if my perspective could change in that matter. Overall it was good and it had a satisfying e...more
Christine Grant
This book started out great. The friendship between the three main characters is solid and believable. Each of the three main storylines is interesting and entertaining. It's a quick piece of chick-lit reminscent of Beth Harbison's books. I read most of the book over the course of two days, and then I entered a section that I found boring and confusing. I don't know if too much is going on or not enough is going on--all I know is that I stopped reading. I'm sure I'll finish the book so that I ca...more
Lissa
Amazing novel...very quick read.
Lissa
Reviewed by Lissa Staley
Posted November 15, 2008

Contemporary Chick Lit

When friendship matters most, Ellie, Jen and Mara have been there for each other, ever since their college days. Although they are each at a different stage in their personal lives, they are each facing heartbreak because of that most troublesome of legal documents -- the prenuptial agreement.

Ellie and Michael have the perfect marriage, their three- year-old daughter Hannah is adorable and Michael's parents are wealthy and s...more
Laurie
Nov 15, 2008 Laurie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lifetime Movie Lovers
Recommended to Laurie by: GoodReads Giveaway
The Pre-nup is a story of three friends who conveniently experience rough patches in each of their romantic relationships and work together to solve their problems.

This story is fast-paced and unfolds in a predictable but satisfying manner. Little time is spent on character and setting development and it is difficult to determine the timeframe of when the events unfolded. There are some holes in the plot as it jumps from one character to another but the overall story flows quickly to the end.

T...more
Julie
Jan 30, 2009 Julie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: goodreads
I received this book free from goodreads and was excited to read it. The plot sounded interesting -- three women who were in various stages of relationships who had (or were going to have) pre-nup agreements. While the premise sounded fun, I had a hard time keeping track of the couples..the women were just not memorable enough to keep me engaged from day to day (I read the book on the bus every day). I also didn't care for the way the ending wrapped everything up nice and neat and happily every...more
Jules
When I started this book I thought it would be an ok, cute read, but nothing to write home about. While indeed this is a light, breezy read it was also a lot of fun. I enjoyed this book more than the previous books I've read by this author. The relationship between the women was warm and sincere. The good and bad guys each got what they deserved, so from a woman's point of view the ending was satisfying. There were several laugh out loud moments which almost always endear me to a book.
Jen
Ellie, Mara & Jen are best friends; they live in a very weatlthy neighborhood and they are all having man problems.

Ellie is married to Michael; they look like the happiest couple in the world until Michael is found having an affair.

Mara is ready to get married to Josh, or is she?

Jen is married, but is she truly in love with him?

The chapters are each told by one of the main characters. THe story is funny, but very far-fetched. I did not really like the ending.
I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway and it was definitely a quick, enjoyable read. I'm not a big fan of chicklit normally, but this one wasn't too bad. The storyline was fun, but the three main characters just weren't believable. The story is predictable as well, but it is a FUN story. The story includes bastard men, cheating, lying, bitchy women, dishonesty, divorce, and even a stripper. But underneath it all is hope, and that's what's really important, right?
Bianca
Loved, loved, loved this one! Read it in one day and then frantically searched for more books by Beth Kendrick. Many parts were unpredictable with a few twists and turns that I wasn't expecting from this kind of book. I loved the three main characters and seriously rooted for them the whole way through. When they were angry, I was angry. When they were happy, I was happy. Can't wait to read more books by this author!
Margarita
This was actually better than I thought it would be. This was the story of three women friends who are in various stages of marital relationships. It is set in Scottsdale which did not really add anything to the story, but there it is. There were some interesting twists and it was an altogether very satisfying and readable book. I am going to pass on my advance reader's copy - I know several friends who would enjoy it.
Tami
I received this book through a contest. I first thought it would be a romance novel, and it somewhat is, but it is much more realistic than most.

The author follows 3 women friends through their relationships ups and downs. Marraige, divorce, cheating, children and work; the book shows the point of view of not only the women but their spouses, in-laws, and other acquaintances.

It was an light easy read.
Lisa
I liked it.
At first, I struggled a bit trying to keep track of the characters, what they did and who they were with. But once I got it straightened out, it was really easy to get through the book. There were some good laughs along the way. Additionally, it was really refreshing to read a chick-lit where the setting took place in Scottsdale.
I'm interested in reading her other books.
Kim
I always enjoy this author. She has an excellent way to keep you involved in her writing. This book kept me reading because of the three strong women that were going through so much. I enjoyed reading it because it shows people's true colors as most people do not want to show weaknesses. These women showed their true colors and didn't let people walk all over them! It was refreshing.
Jeanne
I let my friend Joey pick out a book for me during our trip to Barnes and Noble. He chose this one simply because the cover was pink. However, he did not make a bad choice at all. There wasn't a lesson to be learned from it, and it wasn't written extremely well that it would be a book you would study for it's writing style, but it was simply entertaining. Exactly what I needed!
Julia
Good enough chick lit! Ellie, Jen and Mara are old friends from college days, and all are beseiged with "man" problems, many of which stem from various pre-nup agreements. The story seems a little light, with chapters alternating between the three gals. I suppose there's not enough for a trilogy in this, and although not my favorite Kendrick novel, she's always worth checking out.
Joanna
Nov 12, 2008 Joanna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women looking for a quick, fun read
Shelves: first-reads
We follow Ellie, Mara, and Jen as their relationships explode, implode, and fizzle. Will their pre-nup agreements prove to be their ruin? Will they find the unexpected in the small print? And will they be able to save what matters to them the most?

The Pre-nup is a charming, fun, and sassy read that I enjoyed devouring in just a few sittings. Thank you Goodreads!
K
This is the story of 3 friends who thought their lives were just the way they were suppose to be. Soon all 3 find their lives totally turned upside down by events that will completely change their lives forever. The changes are good in some ways. It's a cute, fun read and I really enjoyed this story
Chrissy
This is a story about 3 women going through different problems in their lives, divorce, impending marriage and a marriage on the rocks. Quick read. A good book I wasn't dissapointed. It was what I expected. A good book to read when you need a litle change. Some no thinking read. I enjoyed it.
Marisa
Good book I was engaged from the very beginning, I loved Mara's character the most of the friends characters, and Alex's as well. But the most Interesting part in this book is the the cheater got cheated on, I thought that was a great twist to this chick lit.

Recommend to read.
Stephanie
This is a pretty high rating from me for a chicklit book, but honestly it was so much fun to read! Definitely light, airy, total chicklit. But I was intrigued, found myself laughing and snorting out loud, and was happy with the way it ended. So four stars it is!
Gabby
I am having a very hard time getting through this book. It's really not my style and the writing is very over the top. Too descriptive. Well, it's official I couldn't finish it, just didn't hold my interest. I did make it half way though it though.
anita
Sitting on the fence with this book. Quick read - following all the characters was a little confusing. BUT the best line in the book is...Prince Charming was about to find out that pushed far enough, even Snow White had a dark side.
Renee
This is a perfect summer read. The basis of the book is of course a pre-nuptual agreement. Has a lot of quick witty quotes you will love. All of the characters can easily relate to real life. Made me buy a few more Beth Kendrick books.
Angie
This was a QUICK read for me. Very funny, while covering a topic that folks in this day and age often consider... protecting one's ASSets when entering a marriage. Interesting twists in the plot. Definitely a page turner!!!
Heather
This book was ok. I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Much of it seemed a little over written and the three main characters were sometimes a little too annoying. All in all it was a quick and light read.
An easy quick read. 3 women, Mara, Ellie and Jen who all have rocky relationships, (some married and some not), and each invloves pre-nuptial agreements. A bit of humor included, and a fast read.
Megan
As the title implies and the first chapter makes even more clear...not the best book to read 2 weeks before your wedding! Maybe it would have gotten better, but I didn't feel like chancing it!
  • Good Luck
  • Questions to Ask Before Marrying
  • The Ex-Mrs. Hedgefund
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1)
  • Easy on the Eyes
  • It's About Your Husband
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • Good Things
  • Love @ First Site
This is the part where I’m supposed to brag about all my illustrious accomplishments, but honestly, I’d rather talk about my dogs and brag about some of the things I haven’t done:

I’ve never been to prison*, court-ordered rehab*, or splashed across the cover of a salacious weekly gossip tabloid with my ladybits on display**.

I’m a Leo, a middle child, and a formidable Trivial Pursuit opponent. I re...more
More about Beth Kendrick...
Second Time Around Nearlyweds Exes and Ohs Fashionably Late The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service