Start by marking “Last of the Amazons” as Want to Read:
Last of the Amazons

Last of the Amazons

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,921 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
The author of the international bestsellers Gates of Fire and Tides of War delivers his most gripping and imaginative novel of the ancient world–a stunning epic of love and war that breathes life into the grand myth of the ferocious female warrior culture of the Amazons.

Steven Pressfield has gained a passionate worldwide following for his magnificent novels of ancient Gree
Published June 25th 2002 by Doubleday (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Last of the Amazons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last of the Amazons

Cassandra Kay Silva
I beg the would be reader to notice that the majority of people who have given this book a one star rating did not finish it. My husband also took this book up and became so instantly frustrated with it that he didn't even make the hundred page mark. The reason is the writing style of this work (sorry Steven you know I love you but this is true) was absolutely atrocious. It was VERY choppy, especially at the start. He changes perspectives faster than the reader can get into the characters. Howev ...more
Bryn Hammond
Oct 19, 2012 Bryn Hammond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steppe-fiction
Stars? Have the Milky Way.

This is about the city and the steppe. It’s a subject I read non-fiction on, avidly, and fiction when I can. So I was engaged; I was joining in the argument; I wanted to stand up and say ‘you left this out’ when we have a great debate (for eight pages) between Theseus of Athens and the Amazon queen on the worth of civilization and of savagery - or the wild life, the free life, as self-defined by the savages. A few of the Greeks who travel with Theseus fall half in love
Nektarios Kalogirou
Δεν είχα ξαναδιαβάσει Πρέσφιλντ. Λυπάμαι πολύ γι' αυτό... ο τύπος είναι καταπληκτικός.
Οι τελευταίες αμαζόνες είναι ιστορικό μυθιστόρημα με όλη της σημασία της λέξης "ιστορικό". Ολες του οι περιγραφές είναι γεμάτες πλήρεις αναφορές, δοσμένες με τρόπο τέτοιο που δεν σου επιτρέπουν να έχεις ουδεμία αμφιβολία για τα όσα διαβάζεις.
Οι σχεδόν 500 σελίδες κύλησαν νερό, χωρίς να κουράζει, χωρίς επαναλήψεις, με όλες τις συναισθηματικές αλλαγές ενός μεγάλου έργου.
Τα 5 αστέρια της αξιολόγησης τα κέρδισε ε
Kelly
Aug 24, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This was a monumental effort on the part of Steven Pressfield, his editor and finally the reader. There is so much to say about this book, but most of it has already been so eloquently put by other reviewers. I do suggest you read them if you are interested in the Amazons, and then you may choose to pick up this book.

I'm glad I read it, I don't know if I could do it again. There were subtle difficulties in reading it. Sometimes I would get so caught up in one of the side stories that I would for
Rhonda Waller
Sep 17, 2012 Rhonda Waller rated it it was amazing
I can hardly put it down. Striking imagery; marvelous words; compelling, believable story. No, it isn't an easy read. It's a deliberate read. The writer went to great lengths to paint pictures of these warriors and the world they were in. I loved the way you had opportunity to "see" the story from so may points of view, from the Greeks to the Amazons.
Richard
Oct 10, 2007 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction, military history, ancient history
As Steven Pressfield points out, there are few ancient references to the mythical Amazons, the mythical warrior women of the ancient world. Since Schliemann's discovery of Troy, however, many scholars have come to believe that real history lies behind myth.

Presented through the eyes of several invented characters, Pressfield brings to life Theseus, the nearly mythical father of Athens, and his love affair with Antiope, war queen of the Amazons.

Pressfield's guesses as to what the Amazon culture m
Dragana
Oct 24, 2012 Dragana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marvelous, shaking story of brave women that defied all the rules of the ancient world. Spartans in a female form, training there entire life and dedicating it to friendship and love, tied with each other for life. Strong enough to match any man, living in a different world with only one rule: to live freely. An epic novel that portraits every days life, battles and relationships of the mysterious people - Amazon women.
Artemas
Another great book by Steven Pressfield. My one complaint was that at times it was a little confusing because of the multiple POV's. This was easily overshadowed by the brilliant, visceral battle sequences with a nice surprise at the end.
Arun Divakar
The core of this novel is about change and how it came about. Change in this book's context refers to the make over of civilization from a life lived in the openness of the plains to a life lived within walled cities. During the timeline of this book, there is conflict between the free living Amazons and the nation state of Athens taking its baby steps in the direction of democracy.

The plot line in this book is one ripe for any author to sink their teeth into. Historical certainty is not one cl
Jackie
Snezana Ilic Gligorijevic
Mar 18, 2014 Snezana Ilic Gligorijevic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Presfild ostaje dosledan sebi u spajanju mitologije i istorije.
Bitke su toliko dobro i detaljno opisane, da sam imala utisak da stojim na nekom Atinskom brdascetu i celu tu strku posmatram uzivo.
Akshay
Jan 30, 2015 Akshay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing historical fiction is no mean task. Steven Pressfield’s ‘Last of the Amazons’ chronicles the great invasion of Greece by a bunch of fierce warrior women and their allies. It is a tale brimming with butchery, where death follows death like a friend. The writing style is laced with rich historical detail, passion and drama. While I wouldn’t say that ‘Last of the Amazons’ is a must read but those who can digest without flinching about the extremes of warfare and can also accept the idea of ...more
Iset
Feb 24, 2011 Iset rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Pressfield
Recommended to Iset by: No one
Having heard good reports previously of Steven Pressfield's writing, I have to say that my overwhelming feeling here was disappointment. So many different aspects were poorly judged and spoiled the book for me to enjoy it terribly much. Firstly, the form of narration was far too convoluted and knotty. The book reads as a story within a story within a story - Bones as a grandmother telling the story of her adventures as a child, and during her adventures her uncle Damon recounts his own adventure ...more
Graham
Sep 19, 2011 Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judging by some of the reviews here on Goodreads, this seems to be a love it or hate it type of book. I'm in the former camp - I found LAST OF THE AMAZONS to be a fabulous read. When I read Pressfield for the first time (GATES OF FIRE, of course), I doubted that I'd ever encounter a better retelling of a great piece of military history. I still stand by that - LAST OF THE AMAZONS isn't better than GATES, but it IS the novel's equal.

Previously to reading this, I knew nothing about Amazons or thei
M.G. Mason
Aug 18, 2012 M.G. Mason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last of the Amazons is another military history novel from the prolific Steven Pressfield, author of the superb Gates of Fire. It has a similar format in that it is in first-person and told from the position of a minor observer. It tells the story of Amazon Queen Antiope who runs away to Athens with legendary King Theseus after the pair fall in love. Outraged at this, the Amazon warriors raise a vast army with which they intend to destroy Athens. A battle that legend tells us they did not win.

Pr
Booknblues
Jan 25, 2016 Booknblues rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine being raised by a warrior woman who teaches and instills in you her values of life. This is the case with two young Athenians in Steven Pressfields latest novel Last of the Amazons. Mother Bones, the narrator and her sister Europa's nanny was Selene an Amazon woman who had exchanged her freedom for that of her lover, Eleuthera during the Amazons siege of Athens and subsequent defeat. Selene taught the sisters the lessons she felt were necessary. They were cuffed soundly for misbehavior a ...more
Mark Stuart
Last of the Amazons is an action packed and entertaining novel. The first piece of Steven Pressfield's fiction that I have read. I really enjoyed it.

Steven is an terrific story teller, weaving plot and back story in a very polished way. I particularly enjoyed the changes in narrator from Mother Bones, to her Father, to Selene and to her lover Damon, and furthermore the changes between past and present were handled equally masterfully. It was all well-timed, dramatic and pretty darn riveting (if
Xonrad
Feb 21, 2010 Xonrad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing story of an oft ignored part of ancient Greek history/mythology. It does unfortunately have a kind of Pulp Fiction style of jumping from one character's perspective to another for chunks of the narrative, at times displacing certain chunks of story from the chronological flow.

While that isn't entirely a flaw, it is by no means a benefit to this story as it happens with such frequency that it is easy to find your attention span drifting away from the words you're reading.

It's a distrac
Zeke Chase
Rating 3.5 / 10

Abandoned. This book suffers from precisely two problems:
1) Pressfield employs a rotating narrator. Mother Bones’ narration is interspersed with “testaments” by her father, uncle, and Selene. This essentially serves the purpose to fill in the story for which Mother Bones isn’t present. Pressfield can’t have his cake and eat it too – if he wishes the story to follow several characters, use third person; if he wants the intimacy of first person, have the story follow the narrator.
Robert
Jul 01, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one. It's one of the better Steven Pressfield books thatI've read. There is an "author's note." which is a feature I like in historical fiction. The author explains the historical basis for the story and more or less establishes the historical baseline from which he extrapolates the story. One of the characters, Theseus, was apparently king of Athens roughly 800 years prior to the more historically established times of Socrates, Pericles, and the Peloponesian Wars. Theseus ha ...more
Georgene
Aug 09, 2015 Georgene rated it really liked it
For a fan of ancient history, this is a really great book.

The story predates the Trojan War by at least 100 years. It's the story of Theseus, King of Athens, who meets and falls in love with Antiope, the war queen of the Amazons. He "kidnaps" her and takes her back to Athens. The Amazons prepare for war and with fragile
treaties with many of their former enemies, march from the north shore of the Black Sea to Athens, pillaging and murdering along the way.
Jason M Waltz
dang been almost a year since I started this book. that reinforces my dropping of it at this time. I used to pride myself on being able to say I could count on one hand the number of books I never finished in my entire life of reading. I do not regret reading that way, however at this stage in life I have now decided it is worth more to enjoy every page then to simply enjoy knowing how it ends. especially when I can look at my to be read stacks and simply choose another grand adventure to begin. ...more
Kelly
Jan 01, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uno de mis libros favoritos de todos los tiempos. Las descripciones crudas y sin adornos hacen que sea algo fuerte, pero es eso lo que hace que no puedas soltarlo. Las emociones que el autor logra trasmitir con las palabras llegaron a ser reales para mi que en algunos capítulos me dejó al borde de las lágrimas.
Ben Bartlett
Jul 30, 2015 Ben Bartlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How Legends Begin

A powerful view of how a legend might have been, created in a way that also tells of the sacrifices made when civilisation advances. Over the top at times, but gritty and exciting and well worth the read on days when one longs for honor and glory.
Alyssa Allen
Weird book. Hard to understand at times. The way the author wrote was difficult to read. Probably very refined and great from someone else's perspective, but I had a hard time wrapping my mind around it. Interesting story, though. Just wish it were easier to read.
Andreas Michaelides
A beautiful and excellent comprehensive story that fully describes the life of the mythical Amazons. A lovely book, a bit difficult at the start but the end was worth the uphill of the first pages. Another marvellous story, highly recommended.
Kevin
Apr 08, 2009 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
George Simopoulos
Dec 11, 2015 George Simopoulos rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's keen on amazons
Recommended to George by: Bookstore
Interesting plot. You actually get to know quite a lot on that historical period. However, the plot was a bit slow and the characters pretty casual without any unique traits.
Αδαμάντιος
Ακόμα ένα βιβλίο του Steven Pressfield που μου άρεσε πολύ. Δεν έχει την δύναμη των 'Πυλών της Φωτιάς", αλλά μάλλον αυτό συμβαίνει γιατί εκείνο είναι ένα πραγματικό ιστορικό γεγονός ενώ οι Αμαζόνες είναι κάτι που δεν γνωρίζουμε πολύ.
Χαίρομαι όταν διαβάζω ξένους συγγραφείς, τόσο παθιασμένους και ενημερωμένους με την Ελληνική ιστορία και Μυθολογία-Ιστορία. Θλίβομαι επειδή οι δικοί μας καθηγητές και αρωγοί δεν έχουν αυτό το πάθος που βλέπω σε πολλούς ξένους.
Στο βιβλίο τώρα, ο συγγραφέας με την απαρ
Michelle
Sep 28, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting a graphic novel. I didn't know much about the subject at all before I read it. I liked Pressfields book "Gates of Fire" and this one also lived up to my expectations!

Very brutal and unique story of an extinct warrior tribe. The story is told from different perspectives of the characters. It is pretty much on the same timeline but they do jump around a little so it can be a little hard to "catch up." I liked how it even incorporated some romance ( rugged version of it
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect published date 3 14 May 25, 2013 10:57AM
  • The Sword of Attila: A Novel of the Last Years of Rome
  • Men of Bronze
  • The Gates of Troy (Adventures of Odysseus, #2)
  • The End of Sparta
  • Eagle in the Snow
  • Thermopylae: The Battle That Changed the World
  • Pride of Carthage
  • Attila: The Gathering Of The Storm (Attila Trilogy #2)
  • The Mask of Apollo
  • Medea (Delphic Women, #1)
  • Spartan
  • Tyrant (Tyrant, #1)
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • The Sand-Reckoner
  • Deus Lo Volt!: A Chronicle of the Crusades
  • Sharpe's Christmas: Two Short Stories
  • Um Mundo Sem Fim - Volume 2 of 2
  • The Last King of Lydia
I was born in Port of Spain, Trinidad, in 1943 to a Navy father and mother.

I graduated from Duke University in 1965.

In January of 1966, when I was on the bus leaving Parris Island as a freshly-minted Marine, I looked back and thought there was at least one good thing about this departure. "No matter what happens to me for the rest of my life, no one can ever send me back to this freakin' place a
More about Steven Pressfield...

“A youth loathes nothing more than his own callowness. Experience is his object. Experience, however ghastly, for the lad longs before all for the lined face and chiseled squint of the veteran. Even his submissions to terror, the very shit with which he paints his thighs under fire is trophy to him; he points it out to his comrades, laughing in the aftercourse of action as if it were a decoration for valour, for it makes him a salt, a veteran, an old hand.” 1 likes