Start by marking “The Shepherd Leader, Achieving Effective Shepherding in Your Church” as Want to Read:
The Shepherd Leader, Achieving Effective Shepherding in Your Church

The Shepherd Leader, Achieving Effective Shepherding in Your Church

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The Shepherd Leader is a book that strives to bring the importance of shepherding to the forefront of our thinking about what church leaders should do and, therefore, what they should be. Too many church leaders perceive of themselves as a board of directors when the Bible is clear that they are to know, feed, lead, and protect the flock entrusted to their care.
Published February 4th 2012 by Presbyterian and Reformed (first published February 25th 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about The Shepherd Leader, Achieving Effective Shepherding in Your Church

Paul Wichert
This is an excellent book not only for church leaders but for members as well. It is well-organized, easy to read, and discusses the vital subject of the role of elders in the church. Tim Witmer has been a pastor and is currently a WTS professor, making his approach well grounded theologically and practically. After making the case that the primary role of a church elder is a shepherd (and not a typical board member or business executive), the author outlines four areas that effective elders/she ...more
mpsiple
Very practical, but reads a bit like a manual. Starts with big picture advice and gives it legs with great recommendations for how to implement.
Jacob Coldwell
The Shepherd Leader

“The Lord’s purpose would be fulfilled in preserving a remnant of his people in his land from whom would issue the promised Messiah, the ultimate Shepherd of God’s people (p. 17)”

“The responsibility to shepherd the flock is on the shepherds, not the sheep (p. 198).”

This is the first book on leadership I have come across that challenges the context in which a leader should be evaluated. Witmer also confronts the responsibility with taking on leadership with the seriousness and
Peter N.
Timothy Witmer has written an excellent practical guide to shepherding God’s people. He begins by giving the Old Testament background to shepherding and how the New Testament continues this Old Testament tradition. He then gives a historical sketch of the decline of shepherding. The final section ends with a note on authority where he strikes a balance between tyranny and the every man is equal mentality.

The second section of the book was superb. He does a great job of distinguishing between ma
Mike
A helpful look at how elders of a church function as shepherds of God's people. Witmer goes over the call and qualifications of elders. He they sets out to give practical steps for elders to fulfill their calling. The four basic categories are knowing the sheep, feeding the sheep, leading the sheep and protecting the sheep. He give helpful practical suggestions for implementing this such as assigning members of the congregation to each elder and having that elder be responsible to focus on getti ...more
Butch
Excellent discussion of the shepherding responsibilities of an elder. This is so critical to the health of a church. A definite must read for anyone in or contemplating that role. Super practical.
Mike Awtry
All about elders and their biblical charge to shepherd the congregation. This would be a great book to go through while training potential elders.
Doug Dale
I really appreciated this book and its look at the role of church leaders shepherding the flock both from a theological perspective (defining the role and responsibility of leaders) and then from a very practical perspective. Many good suggestions about making the concept of 'visitations' work in this day and age when it can be harder to connect. Also a lot of insight into how to spread the load between multiple leaders.

I've got a lot to chew on and pray about from this book and I've asked my co
Shay
This book is specifically designed to help build a start a shepherding elder team in your church. I spent 10 weeks walking through this book wit ha group of men in our church and it was extremely helpful to think through what exactly it means to be an elder, in the Biblical sense, and how that plays itself out in the local church.

The Shepherd Leader would be a great tool for any elder board to go through together to stir a conversation on what it means to "shepherd the flock" and how they can gr
Michael
This book provided some basic principles to consider when implementing a shepherding program within a church. Its purposes it to ensure each member of a church is shepherded by a pastor or an elder. The principles were worth considering when thinking about caring for the members of your church. Some of the application seemed a little simplistic but are still worth reading as a refresher.
Justin Orman
Really liked this biblical write up of the duties of elders/shepherds. Witmer corrects some of the misconceptions regarding this role in the local church, his position being rooted strongly in orthodox theology that finds its basis in God's Holy Word. His macro/micro organization of the material made it clear and easy to grasp. Very grateful for Witmer's fine work.
Jesse
Good instruction for all Christians since we are all under the God-appointed leadership of others and are leaders ourselves to one degree or another. Since we all worship a God who calls himself a shepherd, we should learn how to shepherd and be shepherded.
L. R. Bouligny Bouligny
A very helpful guide in leading the people of God. I highlighted many pages in this book, and hope to someday use it with a group of men in the church, to discuss and review the biblical pattern of shepherding within the local flock.
John
I loved this book. I really loved this book. Witmer gives us biblical categories and practical instruction for caring for the Lord's flock as his undershepherds. I hope this book gains influence beyond the Reformed Presbyterian crowd.
Stephen Altrogge
Outstanding book for any pastor or deacon in a church. Highly practical and yet deeply theological at the same time. It is easy to read, thought provoking, and challenging. I would encourage every pastor to read this book.
Emily
Jul 17, 2011 Emily added it
Great Biblical support for shepherding being the main focus of elders; seems a bit idealistic in application, but most churches would improve their care for their congregation if they were to enact something along these lines.
Alexandre
Biblical and practical. And it's the size of the practical task that leaves me feeling daunted, but that doesn't take anything away from this helpful book. If short on time, read at least chapter 9 for its summary-effect.
Glyn Williams
Very well written, practical and a book that all pastors should read and apply in their own congregations. If one or two of the churches I was at in the past had applied what is written here, I may not have left them.
Bill
For a more detailed review see my pastor's review (Peter Jones). Every church leader should read and implement this book.
Dan Winnberg
great read and very practical ideas for a shepherding ministry. we opened up the first hour of 8 Elders meetings to any man in the church to attend to discuss the book with us. very helpful
Rick Dobrowolski
I thought the strong point of this book was the laying out of the elders' duties within the church. Tim Witmer does an excellent job with the practical outworking of ministry.
Dan Sudfeld
Wow! Witmer makes an excellent biblical, historical and practical case that elders need to be, first and foremost, shepherds. This book will be prove to be a valuable resource.
Michael
Good introduction to leadership. It is interesting that leadership books are secular or sacred; as if leadership is something you do differently at work versus church.
John Besancon
great book that really made me think about what i expect out of a church. also made me dwell on how hope can be better put to use for the members.
Justin Andrusk
Very good book around the organization, planning, and implementation of a shepherding ministry within your church. Lots of good concepts and ideas.
Mark Gring
Mar 04, 2012 Mark Gring rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mark by: Jim Angehr
Shelves: theology
Very good book that emphasizes the role of church leaders based on shepherding rather than on a priestly or kingly position or attitude.
Richard Cleary
This was a top notch book on the shepherding ministry. Very practical, helpful, instructive, edifying, wise, biblical, and doable.
Jeremy
Do read the other reviews. This deserves to be on every pastors shelf and more importantly lived out in his life.
Steve Johnson
Good ideas but too tightly aligned with reformed ways of doing things--too institutional to be biblical.
Joe Taylor
A good read for those who are thinking of or are currently in pastoral ministry.
  • Biblical Eldership
  • The Church and the Surprising Offense of God's Love: Reintroducing the Doctrines of Church Membership and Discipline
  • The Trellis And The Vine
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • Preaching and Preachers
  • The Christian Ministry
  • Leaders Who Last
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry
  • The Reformed Pastor
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • Center Church: Doing Balanced, Gospel-Centered Ministry in Your City
  • Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today
  • Pastoral Ministry: The John MacArthur Pastor's Library
The Shepherd Leader at Home: Knowing, Leading, Protecting, and Providing for Your Family