Start by marking “Seven Practices of Effective Ministry Seven Practices of Effective Ministry” as Want to Read:
Seven Practices of Effective Ministry Seven Practices of Effective Ministry

Seven Practices of Effective Ministry Seven Practices of Effective Ministry

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  975 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
There’s no scoreboard in the sanctuary, and the only plate is probably for the offering. But every church leader needs to know how to win, and every congregation needs to know when to cheer. This insightful book speaks to every church leader who yearns for a simpler, more effective approach to ministry. An engaging parable about one overwhelmed pastor is followed by an ove ...more
Published August 19th 2008 by Multnomah Publishers (first published August 18th 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Practices of Effective Ministry Seven Practices of Effective Ministry

David Gregg
This makes a grade-A, excellent management and organizational-systems book! I have since moved past trying to micromanage the Kingdom, so this wouldn't be my first suggestion to you unless a management or organizational-systems kind of book is what you are after.
Al Garlando
Mar 01, 2012 Al Garlando rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pastors & Ministry Leaders
A bit of a different spin on a more famous book with a very similar title.
This is a very pragmatic (& as one reviewer observed - a very Western philosophy) and simple approach to help clarify what it is you're trying to achieve in your ministry as a Pastor/Leader.

There's nothing really "new" in the book. BUT, it was, for me, invigorating and encouraging to read - it stirred me up (fanned the flame, so to speak) to be more intentional and deliberate in my approach to ministry in my Church and
Joel Jackson
The staff from North Point Community lay out their strategy of ministry in a very concise manner. I feel that the principles laid out in the text are applicable to many churches. I did struggle through some of the book though as I am not a baseball fan. Therefore, some of the baseball analogies were lost on me and my mind got bored when they got too into baseball history or facts. Beyond that, I always struggle with books written as successful in mega churches that established themselves. In som ...more
Lynn Smith
Aug 25, 2015 Lynn Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our pastor gave this book to our leadership team for a group read a couple of weeks ago and I just finished the book. The authors made the book easy to read and understand. Even though the concepts are easy to understand, they are practical, effective and well researched. Anyone would benefit from the principles of this book. While it is written by a church leadership team with church ministry in mind, the principles here could be applied to any ministry or even business. I would highly recommen ...more
Sipho
Dec 23, 2015 Sipho rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent read that I highly recommend for anyone who is or aspires to be in leadership or management. Written by the leaders of North Point Community Church in Atlanta, the book distills sage wisdom into an easily readable and concise work. The authors emphasise that these are "practices" and not principles; a useful framework to guide the reading of the book.

The seven practices (in no particular order) are:
- Clarify the win
-Narrow the focus
-Focus on steps not programmes
-Teach more
Matthew
Mar 25, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books on ministry that I've ever read (I've read it at least five times!)

The first half of the book is written as a parable/allegory. It's a great introduction to the practices that are going to be discussed in greater detail in the second half of the book.

The actual "7 Practices are: (1) Clarify the Win, (2) Think Steps, Not Programs, (3) Narrow the Focus, (4) Teach Less for More, (5) Listen to Outsiders, (6) Replace Yourself, and (7) Work On It.

If you serve in any capa
Mark Soone
I love Andy Stanley (and unlike most he is the only Stanley that I really care to read/listen to), and make everything he writes must read material. Having been such a huge admirer of his ministry, speaking and books I have become accostamed to having high excpectations of him. Perhaps that is why a star rating of him might seem, out of my ordinary scope. I hope that it is not simply a case of having set the bar so high, that the rating is not fair to the work contained in this book.

There are so
Danny
Apr 12, 2009 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
7 Practices of Effective Ministry is composed of 2 parts. In part 1, the pastor plays hooky from an elders’ meeting to attend a major league baseball game and discovers 7 principles that become the basis of the 7 practices in part 2. Part 2 delves more deeply into each of the practices. There are great questions at the end of each of these chapters. The 7 practices are Clarify the win, Think steps not programs, Narrow the focus, Teach less for more, Listen to outsiders, Replace yourself and Work ...more
Matthewfryeinsightbb.com
The unique combination of narrative, baseball, church and business provides for an easy-to-digest book that applies business principles and ethics to the organization of the church. The seven practices are developed (and utilized by North Point Church)in an attempt to make churches fruitful, relevant, and growing. More so, the text challenges churches to break away from vague and faulty traditions, to hone in on a specific need/ population that is relevant to their area, and to be willing to adj ...more
Michael Vincent
Some effective ideas and strategies about church growth. Some of his ideas however, relate better to larger churches. A worthwhile read for those seeking new ideas and looking for ways to help function better as churches and help people more effectively grow spiritually.
Craig Kendall
Nov 15, 2008 Craig Kendall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an unusual book to be listed in my most recent reads collection. I'm guessing it was a last ditch grapple for being the leader the institution wanted me to be before I essentially walked away. What was interesting was how spot on the book and what Stanley outlines is. But the interesting thing was it was as much a read for anyone in leadership/management as it was for those in "church" positions. Just reinforced for me that there are some great business leaders out there trapped in what ...more
Efrem
Mar 15, 2014 Efrem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very good tool for helping those in ministry to be focused on the right things and to stay on the right track in ministry so as to maximize the effectiveness of the ministry. It is a very worthy read.
Reid
Mar 30, 2010 Reid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Western Christians wanting to evaluate their ministry
Parts of this book were really useful to me.

The first half (story part) was a good overview of North Point's principles of ministry.

I kept wanting more Bible and less business principles. But I couldn't help but be impressed with the Western mindset of evaluating what I am doing in ministry -- "Is it working or not"?

Non western Christians would have a hard time understanding the term "win".

Love, faithfulness, becoming Christlike --- are hard to measure.

The 7 practices are:
Clarify the win,
Thin
Bekki
Every ministry leader should read this book....at least the second half (the real "meat" of the book.) Read this book as I'm in the planning stages for a new mom's ministry at our church. My husband (our church' senior pastor) is having the staff read through the book as well, so everyone in leadership can be on the same page.

I wish every ministry leader would read this book....our teaching and ministries could be exponentially more effective if we adopted these 7 practices.

(It should be noted
Brian Chilton
It's times like these that I wish there were half increment ratings. The book deserves higher than a 3, but not quite a 4. The North Point staff offer good, sound advice. However, some points remain suspect to me...such as "one point messages." I remember a great evangelist by the name of Dr. Randy Kilby saying once, "don't preach to the needs of the people, because you don't know what they need. Preach biblical truths and God will meet their needs." In this case, I would have to side with Dr. K ...more
Jim
May 07, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very helpful points for evaluating a ministry, but several views of the church that I didn't agree with.
David
May 29, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly insightful and a definite must-read for those involved in ministry-especially pastors
Debbie Dodson
Mar 21, 2014 Debbie Dodson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Wonderful look at the way we do, or should do, ministry.
Greg Chandler
It was alright at times, if you're an Andy fan.

Not bad.
rhrrs2
Sep 04, 2014 rhrrs2 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick and to the point. Great to read with a group!
Jared Jones
Mar 28, 2012 Jared Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little biased considering the co-author (my Dad). But I still say this is book provides some excellent tips for how to run an organization. None of these (as explained in the Preface) are seen as a substitute for seeking God's wisdom and guidance within your church. But the practices outlined within the book can be very helpful for operating within any type of ministry structure. Half of the book is a parable illustrating what the 7 practices are, and the other half is mroe explanation and ...more
Clint Nelson
must read!
Brian
Mar 23, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pastoral
This is only a mediocre book on leadership principles which will supposedly make any ministry effective. While much of what is shared in the book is useful, there is nothing here to guide someone who is hungry to see what only God can do in ministry. Conspicuously absent are clear directions on how to deliberately build a church or ministry on the gospel of Christ. Much better is Mark Dever's book The Deliberate Church (see my review).
Angie
Jan 22, 2014 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: andy-stanley
Very good! Applicable for education to some extent.
Brad
May 07, 2008 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book begins in parabolic style, and then unpacks the parable with effective leadership principles. What I appreciate about Andy Stanley is his passion to keep ministry simple and focused. Everything has a purpose. This is a great book which presents high end leadership principles from a master communicator.
Bevan
Feb 08, 2015 Bevan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended to me as a resource by a veteran pastor that I very much trust. It didn't disappoint! Great, clear guide to revamping and revitalizing... Taking things that don't work and making them work. Taking things that DO work and making them work BETTER. Simple, easy to connect language. Great.
Michael
Dec 18, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read, 2014-read
This is one of my favorite books about creating a ministry plan. I highly recommend this as key resource to anyone in ministry and even those not in ministry but in a leadership role within their organization. The practices are so true and when implemented will change the way your ministry functions.
Al Soto
Jul 26, 2011 Al Soto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
: "Excellent Tool for Strategic Implementation in the local Church. This book's-principles is the foundation for our Ministry Team on how we think through new initiatives in our Church. For anyone in local church leadership a must read and better with a your whole team."
Steven
Jan 12, 2010 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! This is a book I think I am going to read every year. THe principles and practices in this book are so simple yet so powerful. I really appreciated the transparency in North Point's ministry process. If you are in ministry you should read this book.
Thriving Life Church: CLT 1 6 Sep 05, 2012 05:01AM
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap
  • Sticky Church
  • Move: What 1,000 Churches Reveal about Spiritual Growth
  • Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church
  • Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • Transformational Church
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • They Like Jesus but Not the Church: Insights from Emerging Generations
  • The Purpose Driven Church: Every Church Is Big in God's Eyes
  • Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • Spiritual Leadership
Andy Stanley is the senior pastor of North Point Community Church, Buckhead Church, and Browns Bridge Community Church. He also founded North Point Ministries, which is a worldwide Christian organization.
More about Andy Stanley...

“Pitchers don’t need to hit well; they need to pitch well. Every step you create needs to do what it does best and nothing more. Focus allows you to pursue excellence, to zero in on the target. You can ruin a great pitcher by trying to make a hitter out of him, and you can ruin a great church…” 0 likes
“Nothing hinders morale more than when team members with separate agendas are pulling against one another.” 0 likes