Start by marking “The Best Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The Best Short Stories
Preview

The Best Short Stories

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  41 reviews
This collection reflects Maupassant's remarkable diversity, with stories that vary in theme and tone, and range from tragedy and satire to comedy and farce. Boule de Suife, his most famous tale exposes the brutality and hypocrisy of war. His stories are linked by irony and the frailty of human nature.

17 stories:

Boule de Suif
Two Friends
Mme. Tellier's Establishment
Mlle. Fifi
Published 2011 by Wordsworth (first published 1884)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Short Stories

I finally finished this dual-language collection of short stories from late 19th C France. It started off very slowly, reading a sentence, or even a word, in French, then checking the opposite page for the translation. But, by the last story or two, I could practically read entire pages without translation. If anyone wants to brush up on French, read this out loud too, so you can develop a kind of "aural reference" for various words.

The stories themselves are great - all largely variations on th
Teguh Affandi
Membaca ini memang terasa sangat sederhana (dari kisah-kisah di sekitar kita) tetapi dituturkan dengan apik oleh Guy de Maupassant.
Cinta Sejati cerita tentang seorang wanita miskin tukang tambal kursi yang mencintai seorang Chouquet sejak lelaki itu masih kecil. Bermula karena Chouquet kehilangan uang, dan si tukang tambal kursi memberinya uang. Dari sanalah cinta bermula. Hingga Chouquet menjadi dewasa dan menajdi dokter. Si tukang kursi meninggal. Saat diberi tahu bahwa ada seorang miskin yang
Citra Rizcha Maya
Saya tidak berencana memasukkan kumpulan cerpen ini ke dalam daftar bacaan saya. Tapi setelah menunaikan tantangan kategori buku berhalaman lebih dari 500 kata (The Known World) Buku yang difilmkan (The Notebook, demi mengulang kenangan karena niat awalnya saya malah ingin memasukan Paper Towns ke daftar ini, akan difilmkan dengan Cara Delevigne dan alis spektakulernya sebagai pemeran utama) Kategori buku yang diterbitkan tahun ini (karena awal tahun jadinya menggunakan tahun terbit 2014, tadiny ...more
loïc
I have to admit; it took some time and a couple of stories to draw me in, but once I was 'enthralled' my love for Maupassant's writing only grew.

They way he portraits his characters and observes life and human nature, so "simple" but full of life and spot on... brilliant! good for a lot of smiles and pondering moments.

Actually stumbled on this book by accident in a second hand book shop, and it turned out to be the seed for a strong desire to delve into the classics in literature =)

Bob
Aug 28, 2007 Bob rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
worth buying for "the necklass" alone
Amaya
Seorang wanita tukang reparasi kursi telah jatuh cinta setengah mati, dengan sangat mendalam, kepada seorang ahli obat bernanma Monsieur Choquet. Wanita itu sudah mencintai sang Monsieur sejak mereka masih kecil dan terlalu muda untuk memahami cinta. Dia biasa memberikan uangnya kepada si Choquet kecil dan dia akan mendapatkan ciuman anak laki-laki itu. sejak saat itu, sang Wanita menghabiskan hidupnya dengan memikirkan cara agar dia selalu bisa bertemu dan berdekatan dengan Monsieur Choquet. Te ...more
John Gillis
I don't know if I'll read all of these stories, but Ball-of-Fat and MM Fifi, and Useless Beauty, and The Diamond Necklace have made the experience worthwhile already. He (de Maupassant) is considered a father of the modern short story and I could go along with that. He was hugely prolific, but a tortured soul. A master of society at the time and a chronicler of the ills of the human condition, he lived in solitude and basically killed himself at age 43.
Alex Kartelias
By far, one of the greatest short-story writers I've ever read. Having read the neckless in college, I knew I had to go out and search for the rest of his stories and I wasn't disappointed. Even though he's a realist, he mixes horror and romanticism together when romance and mystery and gives fascinating pictures of 19th century France. One day when my french gets better, I'll read the originals and I'll probably enjoy them even more. There's something in his stories for everyone to enjoy.
Earl Jones
The neckless is my fav short story of all time. Probably a close second with, "the tell-tale heart" by Poe or Jackson's "the Lottery." Maupassant would definitely kick ass at words with friends. ;)
Fajar
Membaca cerita-cerita pendek Guy de Maupassant tidak jauh berbeda dengan merenungi sifat-sifat manusia yang bahkan seringkali kita rasakan.

Sangat istimewa karena kesederhaan cerita-cerita pendek dalam buku ini bisa dikatakan tidak biasa : cinta seorang tukang reparasi kursi, janda dari seorang pemuda berusia 13 tahun, pernikahan hanya karena peristiwa salah memasuki kamar, kemunafikan seorang suami, pembalasan dendam seorang ibu, dan lain sebagainya.

Hanya itu saja ?

Beruntung bahwa Guy de Maupass
Jake Berlin
clever and amusing stories, some more so than others
Foxglow
He paints with words.
Pat
What a surprise to get so much pleasure from this book of short stories. For a start short stories are not a great favourite of mine and then I always thought guy de Maupassant would be really difficult to read even in translation. The stories are so lively and the characters are just wonderful.
Lidya
Sempat lama terhenti baca kumpulan cerpen ini di cerpen terakhir sekaligus terpanjang, Boule de Suif. Beberapa cerpen sempat masuk di buku kumpulan cerpen GdM yang lain, Mademoiselle Fifi. Cerpen paling menarik dalam buku ini, yang membuat emosi saya meledak di halaman terakhir adalah Boule de Suif. Awalnya cukup membosankan, namun cerpen ini secara cantik menceritakan orang-orang terpandang, saleh, dan memiliki kehidupan baik memanfaatkan seorang pelacur untuk menyelamatkan mereka sendiri. Gila ...more
Elijah Christopher
French prose...----------- I didn't see any order or purpose behind Maupassant's work. It seemed to be a random collection of common stories with no meaning. Perhaps I just didn't understand the meaning, or there were translation errors, etc. So it wasn't really a total waste of time, but not one I'll add to my collection.
Ali
The first short story in the collection, 'Boule de suif', is one of my favourite short stories. Studying it in French at university made for an interesting study unit and also allowed me to really pull apart and understand all aspects of the story. I did not thoroughly enjoy every story in the book, but there were quite a few really good stories in the collection, and also a lot of thought and emotional response provoking stories.
Kealan O'ver
Masterful short stories
Lars
'The master of the short story', they call him. I agree.

I've read few who like Maupassant can describe a person in a few sentences and then you have a clear image of how that person is. But that is just one impressive part of his writing.

I can't say enough good about this collection. Read it.
Lars K Jensen
'The master of the short story', they call him. I agree.

I can't say enough good about this collection. Read it.
Irene
Feb 05, 2015 Irene added it
This masterful writer of short stories brings his characfters to life in his quaint stories about everyday life in France. HIs stories are about very fictional people who seem like real because the deomonstrate the human condition in all its joy and folly.
Sandra
I read a lot of these short stories as a freshman in high school. They were short and rather interesting, so I reviewed several of them for assignments. I have read his work in English and French.

One of my favorite short story authors.
Rachel
Great stories so far...somewhat dark, but nice use of irony, and the dual-language aspect is great for people trying to increase their reading ability in French while still being able to see the way the text is translated into English.
Jane Mackay
Now I understand why Henry Miller, Simone de Beauvoir, and others of that era thought so highly of de Maupassant. I can see that my copy of this book is the inaugural one in what will become a collection of de Maupassant-authored books.
Geir Ruud
The stories might be a bit out of date, but the brilliant way G d M "paint the pictures" of the characters gives the book a life, 120-130 years later.
I should read the stories Jospeh Conrad made, inspired by Guy de Maupassant.
Carolyn
My late father used to say, "If a book fails you read Maupassant. He will put the love of reading in you again. Never a disappointment." He was so right. I love this master story teller. Especially his twisted tales.
Anna Sinova
Guy de Maupassant's writing is so alive and descriptive that you can't help but feel and live inside the worlds he creates. He draws you completely into a wirl of french passions, emotions, desires and personalities.
Cara
Mar 02, 2011 Cara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I got 8 pages (which is to say 4 pages) into one of these stories, at which point all the French made my head hurt. I'll have to pick this book back up again when I'm in a french-learnin' mood!
Kv Santosh
Dec 21, 2014 Kv Santosh added it
Shelves: own
A collection of short stories that explores human nature: its foibles, its quirks and its glories. Masterly in craftsmanship, the tales are a delight to read.
Stella_bee
cerpen-cerpen yang menarik dengan kisah cinta dan prilaku manusia yang beragam namun ironis. favoritku: cerpen berjudul Seorang Janda :)
  • French Stories/Contes Francais: A Dual-Language Book
  • Selected Short Stories
  • The Masterpiece (Les Rougon-Macquart, #14)
  • Pleasures and Days
  • Life's Little Ironies
  • 501 French Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses and Moods in a New Easy-To-Learn Format, Alphabetically Arranged
  • The Haunted Hotel & Other Stories
  • Collected Poems
  • The Collected Short Stories of Saki
  • Les Misérables: Volume One
  • A Gentle Creature and Other Stories
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i ...more
More about Guy de Maupassant...
Bel-Ami The Necklace and Other Short Stories Une vie Le Horla et autres nouvelles fantastiques Boule de Suif (21 contes)