Start by marking “Practice with Purpose: Literacy Work Stations for Grades 3-6” as Want to Read:
Practice with Purpose: Literacy Work Stations for Grades 3-6

Practice with Purpose: Literacy Work Stations for Grades 3-6

In her 30 years as an educator, Debbie Diller has closely examined classroom practice, asking "Why? What's the purpose?" Watching primary students work successfully at literacy work stations, she wondered with teachers, "Why don't we have upper-grade students doing this? Could we kick it up a notch?"

In her new book, Debbie shows teachers of grades three-to-six how to struc
Published January 1st 2005 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Practice with Purpose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practice with Purpose

Erik
Jul 17, 2009 Erik rated it really liked it
I find that many teaching resources either spend too much time with wither under-explained mini-lessons and graphic organizers, or -- the other extreme – expostulating on theory for too great a length. Fortunately, Diller’s much-used Practice with Purpose achieves a near-perfect balance between these two.

Diller not only begins by effectively defining what a literacy work station is, and grounds it in current best practices research, but she unfolds her book by offering realistic management tech
Rochelle
Mar 22, 2013 Rochelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Took away so many amazing ideas that will help students focus during independent work and stations. I have already put them in place in my 4th grade classroom, and the results have been as expected, students worked in stations and showed their learning through the community journals.
Belinda
Oct 27, 2015 Belinda rated it liked it
I already read the one for lower grades and, while I got some ideas, this book wasn't much different. If I had purchased this book I would be disappointed that I was getting the same material again, but it was given to me during a training.
Cathlin
May 19, 2013 Cathlin rated it it was amazing
So many great ideas that overlap with Balanced Literacy (Guided Readers and Writers) as well as Daily 5/CAFE. Can't wait to use some of these great resources and more in depth centers (for upper grades) for my own students.
Despond
Nov 10, 2012 Despond rated it really liked it
Shelves: done
Great book, practical, has step by step directions, how it supports student achievement test, how to differentiate in centers, and much more. The pictures are a bit outdated but it's a great book for teachers.
Christina
Mar 23, 2008 Christina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers setting up or improving literacy stations/centers.
This is a fantastic tool for teachers who are working to set up or improve their literacy work stations. As a first year teacher this book was heaven sent. It not only offers ideas for how to set up the work stations but it also offers activities and reproducibles for specific work stations.
Molly Raddemann
Oct 26, 2008 Molly Raddemann rated it it was amazing
This was a HUGE help when developing my literacy stations. Could work in various grade levels, would just need to beef up the materials for upper grades.
Josie McClain
Jun 15, 2011 Josie McClain rated it it was amazing
Used it. Referenced over and over.
Deb
Jun 11, 2008 Deb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-books
A great book to read when contemplating centers/work stations. Lots of great ideas to incorporate all subject areas while incorporating literacy practice.
Megan
Jul 14, 2016 Megan rated it liked it
Some isn't relevant, and I found a spelling error, but overall this is a good read. Looking forward to incorporating some of these ideas next year.
Charmaine
Jun 16, 2009 Charmaine rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is loaded with easy, practical ideas to use in the classroom.
Teri
Mar 31, 2013 Teri rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
Gives good framework. Loosely ties into standardized tests. Stresses the importance of seeing them up, practicing to independence.
Susan Powers
Aug 20, 2011 Susan Powers rated it it was amazing
I've been wanting this book for a few years. Using it to help me Improve my literacy work stations.
Terri
Nov 23, 2008 Terri rated it it was amazing
This is my literacy center bible. A must read and have for any teacher who wants to incorporate and maintain literacy centers in their classroom.
Crystal
Jul 08, 2010 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I can't wait for school to start to implement these wonderful ideas!!
Mo
Mo rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2009
Heidi Patten
Heidi Patten rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2015
Savina Macias
Savina Macias rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2011
emily
emily rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2007
Gail Dyer
Gail Dyer rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Betsy Ruiz
Betsy Ruiz rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2009
Melissa Simmons
Melissa Simmons rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Fran
Fran rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2014
Hilda Flores
Hilda Flores rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2009
Kara Collins
Kara Collins rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
  • Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • The Daily Five
  • Nonfiction Craft Lessons: Teaching Information Writing K-8
  • The Writing Workshop: Working Through the Hard Parts (and They're All Hard Parts)
  • Reading with Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades
  • Awakening the Heart: Exploring Poetry in Elementary and Middle School
  • The Next Step in Guided Reading: Focused Assessments and Targeted Lessons for Helping Every Student Become a Better Reader
  • Guiding Readers and Writers (Grades 3-6): Teaching, Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Building Background Knowledge for Academic Achievement: Research on What Works in Schools
  • Literature Circles, second edition: Voice and Choice in Book Clubs & Reading Groups
  • Positive Discipline in the Classroom,: Developing Mutual Respect, Cooperation, and Responsibility in Your Classroom
  • After "The End": Teaching and Learning Creative Revision