Start by marking “Practice with Purpose: Literacy Work Stations for Grades 3-6” as Want to Read:
Practice with Purpose: Literacy Work Stations for Grades 3-6

Practice with Purpose: Literacy Work Stations for Grades 3-6

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In her 30 years as an educator, Debbie Diller has closely examined classroom practice, asking "Why? What's the purpose?" Watching primary students work successfully at literacy work stations, she wondered with teachers, "Why don't we have upper-grade students doing this? Could we kick it up a notch?"

In her new book, Debbie shows teachers of grades three-to-six how to struc
Published January 1st 2005 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Practice with Purpose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practice with Purpose

Erik
I find that many teaching resources either spend too much time with wither under-explained mini-lessons and graphic organizers, or -- the other extreme – expostulating on theory for too great a length. Fortunately, Diller’s much-used Practice with Purpose achieves a near-perfect balance between these two.

Diller not only begins by effectively defining what a literacy work station is, and grounds it in current best practices research, but she unfolds her book by offering realistic management tech
Chrissy
Apr 06, 2008 Chrissy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers setting up or improving literacy stations/centers.
This is a fantastic tool for teachers who are working to set up or improve their literacy work stations. As a first year teacher this book was heaven sent. It not only offers ideas for how to set up the work stations but it also offers activities and reproducibles for specific work stations.
Rochelle
Took away so many amazing ideas that will help students focus during independent work and stations. I have already put them in place in my 4th grade classroom, and the results have been as expected, students worked in stations and showed their learning through the community journals.
Cathlin
So many great ideas that overlap with Balanced Literacy (Guided Readers and Writers) as well as Daily 5/CAFE. Can't wait to use some of these great resources and more in depth centers (for upper grades) for my own students.
Despond
Great book, practical, has step by step directions, how it supports student achievement test, how to differentiate in centers, and much more. The pictures are a bit outdated but it's a great book for teachers.
Molly Raddemann
This was a HUGE help when developing my literacy stations. Could work in various grade levels, would just need to beef up the materials for upper grades.
Deb
A great book to read when contemplating centers/work stations. Lots of great ideas to incorporate all subject areas while incorporating literacy practice.
Terri
This is my literacy center bible. A must read and have for any teacher who wants to incorporate and maintain literacy centers in their classroom.
Teri
Gives good framework. Loosely ties into standardized tests. Stresses the importance of seeing them up, practicing to independence.
Susan Powers
I've been wanting this book for a few years. Using it to help me Improve my literacy work stations.
Charmaine
I loved this book. It is loaded with easy, practical ideas to use in the classroom.
Crystal
Loved it! I can't wait for school to start to implement these wonderful ideas!!
Kate
Jul 14, 2011 Kate is currently reading it
Decent book so far, but something more geared toward first-year teachers.
Josie McClain
Used it. Referenced over and over.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Literacy Work Stations: Making Centers Work Spaces & Places: Designing Classrooms for Literacy Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All Math Work Stations: Independent Learning You Can Count On, K-2 Literacy Work Stations