Start by marking “Marie” as Want to Read:
Marie
Preview
Read Book* *Different edition

Marie (Allan Quatermain #5)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Allan Quatermain, the hero of King Solomon's mines, tells the story of his first wife, Marie Marais, and the adventures that led to her tragic demise.
Published July 1st 2008 by Waking Lion Press (first published 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Marie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marie

Sandy
This is one of the best works by H. Rider Haggard that I've read, and I've read a good number of them. This is the tale of how Allan Quatermain, hero of 14 of Haggard's books, including "King Solomon's Mines," met his first wife. It is set against the time of the Great Trek in the 1830s, and is jammed with action, adventure and romance. There are two terrific villains, Dingaan (brother of Chaka) and a Portuguese who's trying to not only kill our hero, but rob him of his wife in the bargain. The ...more
Nicolas
After reading King Solomon's Mines it was interesting to read the story of a young Allan Quatermain and his first love, Marie. In some ways the pacing and action in Marie was more exciting that King Solomon's Mines. I particularly enjoyed the standoff at the Marias home which happens early in the story. Overall I really enjoyed this book and I look forward to reading more of Quatermain's adventures. However I do have one big complaint and that's the handling of the fate of Marie. You start the b ...more
Rob
I don't usually like tales in which I know from the start that things will not end well, so it’s not much of a surprise that I didn’t approach this book with much enthusiasm. However, I’ve already gotten the idea that each of Haggard’s Alan Quatermain tales builds on those he penned previously (which is why my decision not to try to read them in chronological order turned out to be wise), so I felt that I would be making an error not to.

The voice I’ve been enjoying so much in the other Alan Quat
Patrick Hayes
An untypical outting for Alan Quatermain, as it comes from his early life in Africa, and his meeting and relationship with his first love, Marie. What follows contains the usual sort of adventure in these novels, though Alan escapes more due to luck than skill, and he's singleminded on being with Marie, and women are not often his focus. I was a little disappointed in seeing the tender side of Alan, but that is trait I should have expected from this boy from Britain. The ending is telegraphed in ...more
Stephen
This is one of Haggard's best books. It breaks with tradition by finding a very young Allan entering into his first true love. It is a real page turner even though you can guess the general outcome at the end. It opens with a battle scene and is a very fast paced book. I've loved the ALlan Quatermain books most of my life, and this one was just plain good fun.
Thomas Mindy
I like this character even more after reading this book. Read Allan Quartermain first.
Nile
wonderfully told a personal story of love and pain.....
Tracey
obviously dated non the less an enjoyable read although the villain was annoyingly awful!
Andrew
A great read, with a somewhat tragic end.
Eric Atkisson
Wonderful, if tragic tale. Haggard's prose has held up surprisingly well. I can't wait to read the rest of his works.
Lydia
I first read King Solomon's Mines last year. It quickly became my favorite book, that is until I read this one! It is a heroic tale of man who loved someone so dearly he gave up his life for her. It is the first book in chronological order of the Quatermain books. Indeed a wonderful read. I cannot describe how much I loved it! However, at the saddest part I found myself crying along with " the little son of George" adieu to Allan for now, but forever his stories will remain with me!
Tim Weakley
While not in the same vein as Tarzan or many of the rest in this genre, this story was still a great ripping tale. The story takes place when Quatermain was very young. It's set during the time of the Boer trek from South Africa to Natal. You have the requisite heroes and villains, guns and natives, and evil Kings and Europeans.

A good introduction to the books to come. I can hardly wait to start King Solomon's Mines.
Philip Stringer
A great adventure story from a great story teller! Written with all of the melodramatic flair of the Victorian era, half the fun of reading this novel is the language. It is a powerful commentary on the destructive powers of prejudice and hatred, which permeate the story with devastating effects for the innocent and guilty alike.
Mike
Wow.
OK, if you can put the blatant racism into perspective as a symptom of the time, one that we have hopefully outgrown/are hopefully outgrowing in the English-speaking world, this was a great adventure story/historical novel.
Penelope
Paulo
The story of Allan Quatermain's first marriage, his involvement with the Great Boer Trek and clash with the Zulus. A moving victorian tale of adventure and personal loss.
সমীর
অনযানয গুলোর মতো না - তারপরও ভালোই লাগলো অযালান কোযাটারমেইন এর পরথম পরেমের গলপ...... ...more
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Marize
Marize marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Josh Maggart
Josh Maggart marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Taya
Taya marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Calvin Platt
Calvin Platt marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
  • Raffles: Further Adventures of the Amateur Cracksman
  • El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel
  • The Underground City
  • The Black Swan
  • Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants (Indiana Jones: Prequels #2)
  • Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone (Indiana Jones: Prequels #9)
  • Tom Sawyer Abroad (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, #3)
  • Doctor Syn
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • Quentin Durward
  • Tarzan and the Golden Lion (Tarzan, #9)
  • কাকাতুয়া রহস্য (তিন গোয়েন্দা, #১৬)
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon
More about H. Rider Haggard...

Allan Quatermain (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1)
  • Allan Quatermain
  • The Ivory Child
  • Finished
  • The Ancient Allan
  • She and Allan
King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1) She (She, #1) Allan Quatermain The People of the Mist Ayesha: The Return of She