The Best Spiritual Writing 2010

The Best Spiritual Writing 2010 (The Best Spiritual Writing)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The renowned nonfiction annual makes its Penguin debut
For more than a decade, Philip Zaleski has collected into a single volume the best spiritual essays and poetry of the year. "The Best Spiritual Writing 2010," featuring essays by John Updike and Diane Ackerman, poems from Nobel Prize winner Seamus Heaney and Pulitzer Prize-winner Louise Glnck, and personal reflections...more
Published January 5th 2010 by Penguin Books (first published 2010)

Monica Madaus
These collections seem difficult to find in libraries, perhaps because they are pitched at such a varied audience. Is there really such a thing as one-size-fits-all spirituality?

Still, much of what is found here is interesting, and that was particularly true of this volume. I particularly liked the late John Updike's "The Writer in Winter." The editor assures us that he was "on the side of the angels." I figure I may as well take Zaleski's word on this point, but I was more convinced when Updike...more
Edward
This annual anthology, as usual, defines “spiritual” loosely. Pico Iyer (author of LIFE OF PI) has a crack at defining spirituality in his introduction, “Spirituality, I mean to say, arises out of the disjunction between us and the transcendent as much as out of the occasional union; it lies, as in any love affair, in an attempt to draw closer to a reality [possibility] that we sense inside ourselves . . “ He goes on to add that sometimes we draw close to this possibility, sometimes we don’t, an...more
Bryant Cornett
Dec 29, 2013 Bryant Cornett rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Folks hosting the Dali Lama
Shelves: reviewed
With it being nearly 2014, I know Christendom is waiting for my review of this esteemed series, so here goes:

This just isn't my cup of tea. I took several runs at this book, but at 84 pages in, I'm just not enjoying it enough to push on through. I'm really sorry, Philip. I'm no big theologian, but after reading 1/3 of the essays here, I just didn't click with much written here.

I did enjoy the one essay, I just didn't finish this book. With it being nearly 2014, I know Christendom is waiting for...more
Michael
As always with these collections, not everything in it is gold, but some things in it are. For example, Nicholas Carr's "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" Jon D. Levenson's "Chosenness and Its Enemies," and Richard John Neuhaus's "Secularizations," among others are not to be missed. I, for one, am happy to read through the not so great as long as I can find these gems among the rocks. For that reason, these collections are not to be missed.
Suzanne Kittrell
This is one of those books you pick and shoose what you want to read for there is such of wide breath of topics concerning the religions throughout the world. Very relaxing, very informative. this book made me think and reflect.
stormhawk
Honestly, I don't do enough spiritual reading to say if this is, in fact, the best spiritual writing of 2010, or of any other year, for that matter, but it is at least interesting and thought provoking. And worth reading.
Brett Boeh
Slow read because you have to give it the time it demands. The depth is inherit in Spiritual Writing but regardless I was pleasantly surprised by the book's impact.
Reba
I struggle with collections, collected stories, they're always very uneven for me, but I was OK with this one. It was really well done.
Grace Makley
Reading for class, but there's some really great stuff in here.
Sofea
Sofea marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Steve Davis
Steve Davis marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Sunil
Sunil marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Oliver
Oliver is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2013
Adria Dodici
Adria Dodici marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Sarah Barthell
Sarah Barthell marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Maral
Maral marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Rena
Rena marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2013
Tarana
Tarana marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013
Colby
Colby added it
Mar 24, 2013
Cate Poe
Cate Poe marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Best American Spiritual Writing 2008 Prayer: A History The Best Spiritual Writing 2013 The Best American Spiritual Writing 2004 The Best American Spiritual Writing 2006