Start by marking “The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1)

The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  2,010 Ratings  ·  243 Reviews
Cassidy Monarch had dreams to sing, to be famous, to tour the world at the head of his own rock band. Then his parents were killed in a tragic accident, leaving him to raise his two siblings. Determined to hold on to what remained of his family, Cassidy settled into an ordinary life, his dreams of fame reduced to occasional nights of singing at karaoke dives. But his caref ...more
Published January 19th 2010 by Less Than Three Press (first published July 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Butterfly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Missing Butterfly

Heaven by Jet MyklesConquest by S.J. FrostHell by Jet MyklesPurgatory by Jet MyklesAmerican Love Songs by Ashlyn Kane
Best Gay Rockers
187 books — 504 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon Suede
The Best of Gay Romance
2,819 books — 2,995 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan
Mar 24, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
Re-read January 22 2017

-----------------------

This was awesome!! If you want a feel-good book, read this!! It pushed all my happy buttons.

Cassidy is 18, and ready to give everything he has to his band, when he gets terrible news. His parents died in a car accident, so he now has his two younger siblings to take care of. He immediately gives up his dream of becoming a famous singer and gets a job to support his family.

9 years later, Cassidy is happy he now has a nice office job. His bro
Heller
Apr 14, 2013 Heller rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
Never was rock star Cassidy Monarch gave up his dreams to raise his brother and sister after their parents were killed by a drunk driver. Cass has done everything in his power to make sure his siblings have all they need to be successful even if he's had to put his own wants on the back burner. His dreams of taking his band The Four Butterflys to international stardom have faded as the band reluctantly moved on without him.

Cassidy hides his real self from his boss and crush, Malcolm, but secrets
MsMiz (Tina)
Oct 11, 2010 MsMiz (Tina) rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt-all

This book was yummy. Mal and Cass in love was too cute. It has all the right ingredients: a bad boy who has tattoos and has to stop his life to take care of his family. Throw into the mix a gorgeous millionaire who is attracted to bad boys, then add a serving of rock and roll music and fun secondary characters. Toss and serve!
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
OMG, I love this book! [image error]

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this story besides the fact that I want more, more, more! It's sweet and cute and funny, I didn't want to put it down once I started it.

I loved Cassidy. He had his dream of becoming a rock star taken away from him because of a tragic accident that left his parents dead and him to raise his two siblings. That right there is the first reason I fell in love with Cassidy. Instead of letting his sister and brother go into
Otila
Jan 13, 2015 Otila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Otila by: Rosa, really
3.5

Cassidy's dreams of being a rock star are shattered when his parents are killed in a car crash and he becomes the guardian of his two younger siblings. Cassidy lives in fear that any misstep on his part will cost him the only family he has left.

Eight years later, Cassidy feels he's finally in a stable place in his life. His siblings are going off to college and grad school soon and he's landed a nice office job that will help him provide for their education and even have some time for a few c
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I'm in an absolute crappy mood and saw I hadn't added a review of this story that I read in April of 2011, so I'm going to reread and improve my mood and add a few words for this great story.

*sigh* just what I needed. This is a definite feel-good story.
Cassidy was going to be a rock star, he had the voice, the talent, the band and the tattoos, now all he needs is to make it big.
Unfortunately his parents died when he was just 18 and he somehow managed to keep custody of his two younger siblings
Deeze
Jan 19, 2012 Deeze rated it it was amazing
I could kick myself for leaving this book so long. This is one of those perfect romance stories with characters you just want to read more of.

I love how we see Malcolm and Cassidy build slowly. Theres no instant fall into bed for OTT sex. The story runs at a perfect pace, nothing is too rushed nor does it ever drag.

If your looking for a sweet romantic feel good story with characters that come to life then this is a must.

This goes straight to my would read again shelf.

The only thing that could
Kukko
I hope this is meant to be a modern day fairytale because the plot was just silly.

Cassidy was 19 y.o. and practicing with his rock band when he was informed of his parents' death. He was the lead singer. Having no choice but to take over raising his siblings, Cassidy gave up his dream of being a famous rock star.

Many years later, Cassidy works for an entertainment company as a low-level worker. His boss, Malcolm, is a gorgeous multimillionaire working as a mid-level manager (we are not given a
Ami
Aug 31, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
My previous Megan Derr's experience was with her paranormal/fantasy stories. This one is contemporary --- light-feel cute story, meaning completely fluffy(!) but makes me all smile nevertheless. Hey, fluffy when it is written well can be really good :)

A Cinderella story (or one of those Harlequin theme, with one being a blue collar worker and the other a millionaire) if I can say so, I fall in love with both Cassidy and Malcolm right off the bat.

Cassidy's life turned upside down when his parents
vLadimiR
May 04, 2014 vLadimiR rated it liked it

If you like rock stars or music-themed gay romance novels, then this book is for you.

As the blurb states, this story is about eighteen year old Cassidy Monarch who reluctantly left his band ("Four Butterflies") to take care if his younger siblings (view spoiler). Nine years later, Cassidy now works as an "Office Monkey" and is nurturing a crush on his boss, Malcolm Osborne. Though Cassidy doesn't regret his choices in life, he still yearns fo
Trisha Harrington
Nov 06, 2012 Trisha Harrington rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
I loved this book......... I wish it had been longer, but what are you gonna do. When it started I was in love with Cassidy, he was such a good person, taking his siblings after their parents died and leaving his band. The way he developed through the story was nice, he grew into his confidence with Malcolm. I found myself wondering how he went from bad ass, to scared little boy in a few pages. Then when he told the story of social services trying to take the kids it all made sense.

Malcolm was a
Mandapanda
Recommended by Valentina for the QGB3 challenge. Very cute 'Cinderfella' type story of Cassidy who had to give up his rock star dreams to care for his orphaned siblings and Malcolm his millionaire boss.

I've seen Megan Derr's name discussed a lot and her books spoken of very highly. I think I was expecting something a bit different from what I read in Missing Butterfly. It felt a little like YA in parts. Less sophisticated than I imagined her work would be. But I still really enjoyed the story an
Bookwatcher
Mar 19, 2011 Bookwatcher rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: MsMiz (Tina)
Cassidy Monarch had a dream, of be a famous rock star. A tragedy will change his life, and his dream will be crushed. He must work, to keep his brothers.

Malcolm Osborne is rich... his life should be perfect, but obviously all money of the world can't made him happy...

Heartbreaking story, certainly one of the best romance I read.

5 stars
Heather C
Such a sweet, adorable story. I loved it! It had some smexy and funny scenes too!

ETA: I wish I could find another story like this...where the guy has sexy ink hidden under his clothes.

Re-read 12/30/12-12/31/12
Candice
Jul 26, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic, rocker, family
Sweet, feel good story that I really don't know how I have missed until now. I really enjoyed the build up of the relationship between Malcolm and Cassidy. They were just perfect for each other. I loved banter and relationship with the brothers.
AliciaJ
I thoroughly enjoyed this Cinderella story. It was light, easy reading that made me feel oh so good.
Jenn
Apr 02, 2012 Jenn rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, m-m, i-own, up-next

This was really sweet, but it didn't have enough grit or tension between the two main characters as I would have liked. Almost from the very beginning it was very easy sailing.
Caipi
I needed a fairy tale for a challenge and this book delivered exactly that, a lovely fairy tale.

When Cassidy's parents were killed in an accident, he dropped his dream to become a famous rockstar and instead raised his two siblings. After a few difficult years he managed to land a new job. And with the new job came the new boss, Malcolm.

Malcolm is not only a cover-model-like beauty, he's also very wealthy and works only to fill his time. When he hires Cassidy, he's instantly attracted to him....
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Jan 02, 2011 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: Valentina Heart
This is the perfect book to spend a few happy hours.

Cassidy had to renounce his dream of becoming a rockstar when he was 18, after his parents died in a car crash and he had to take care of his siblings. By day he is a stern and shy employee, who does his job as best as he can because he can't afford to lose it. On some nights he lets his talent shine in quick karaoke bar trips or he is the enigmatic tattooed guy who never hooks up with anyone.

His boss, Malcolm, is a rich heir, who grew up in fo
Arthur
Apr 14, 2011 Arthur rated it it was amazing
Megan Derr can write a nice, sweet contemporary stories as good as she does on fantasy genre. The Missing Butterfly books (this one and its sequel, By the Way...) are my favorite books.

This one has a cinderfella feeling on it since one of the MCs is a millionaire, and throughout the story the other one is not.
Lauraadriana
Apr 25, 2011 Lauraadriana rated it it was amazing

This was adorable and fun, I was smitten with the main characters and loved their families.

Perfect read for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Trix
May 24, 2011 Trix rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-novels
It was a cute story and I liked the characters!

Though it did feel like a Cinderella story in which Cassidy got to fulfill his dreams with the help of a very sexy and rich fairy godmother/lover named Malcolm, the story wasn't too bad. Cassidy was unfairly stripped of his dreams and thrown into a harsh reality where his main focus was to keep his family together after the sudden death of his parents. And it was an admiring sacrifice he did for Lindsay and Denny. And Malcolm was this bored rich kid
leigh
Feb 16, 2013 leigh rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge, owned-bn
Cute enough story unfortunately marred by sloppy editing. Frequent homophone (shown/shone, piece/peace) and usage errors were distracting (a man of "Mexican decent.") There was also some clunky and confusing sentence structure. ("You've had at me enough for now.") Such roughness is expected in free online fiction but should not be found in full-price published work, particularly from an author with the stellar reputation of this one.

Malcolm and his family were entertaining in an over-the-top way
Susan65
Feb 15, 2013 Susan65 rated it it was amazing

Wow...what a pleasant surprise this turned out to be. I am a big fan of bad boys, rockers and this has both...but they are both really, really good guys and not the typical bad boy assholes.

Cassidy had his whole life planned out and he was willing to do anything and everything to make that happen. He was going to take the world by storm and be the biggest, baddest rock star in the world...and then life happened. Nine years later the bad boy with the silky voice is now working in an offi
Lucy
Sep 10, 2011 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
While the plot itself was a solid four stars for me, lost dreams and a knight in a shining Maserati, the characters make it a five. They are charming and funny. The brothers together made me laugh, and I could completely picture them. Cassidy, the hidden tattoos and bad boy flavor with his own incredibly likeable siblings was so muc fun. And Mal? Adored him. A multi millionaire saying "eleventy billion" and just wanting love? He's delicious. A lovely book.
Stacey Jo
Oct 11, 2010 Stacey Jo rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Stacey Jo by: Valentina Heart
This was the absolute sweetest story. If you are looking for something that is light and fluffy, then this is the one for you. I won't go into what it's about cause other reviews do but its got a good HEA and the other characters have been set up nicely for a book of their own. I would love to hear more about all of these guys.
Diana
May 19, 2013 Diana rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, m-m, contemporary
I just love Megan Derr's books!

This one was very cute and simple, just what I needed.
It's a perfect book to read when you are sad. It will improve your mood, I promise!
Elsbeth
May 07, 2014 Elsbeth rated it really liked it
I had so much fun with this book! What a wonderful "Cindefella" story (I read this in a review) haha. I loved the bickering of all the MC's... I want my own Cassidy :)
Adara
Oct 01, 2010 Adara rated it really liked it
Shelves: gangbang2010q4
So, this book was one of four from a reading challenge last year that I didn't get to during the challenge. So it wound up on my left-overs list. For whatever reason, the blurb never grabbed me, even though all the things I'd heard about it were good and someone else picked it for me to read. So, it took me forever to get around to it.

About 20% of the way through you can see where the story is going. There aren't any surprises, but it didn't matter that I knew what was coming, because it was sti
Cindi
Oct 13, 2011 Cindi rated it it was amazing
Great book!

Cassidy is an 18-year old boy who is in a band, with hopes of hitting the big time. All that changes when his parents are killed suddenly and he is forced to raise his little brother and little sister. After a horrible experience at one job, he manages to find an office job, 9 years after the death of his parents. He has a major crush on his boss, Malcolm, but he is shy around him and won't act on the attraction anyway because he really needs the job and will not do anything to jeopar
Q&A with Megan Derr: ♫♥ The Missing Butterfly ♥♫ 4 14 Jul 30, 2013 03:48AM
  • The Curtis Reincarnation
  • American Love Songs
  • No Fear (Conquest, #2)
  • Moonlight Becomes You (Lucky Moon, #1)
  • Reverb
  • Gasp!
  • With the Band
  • A Red-Tainted Silence
  • Lazy Sundays
  • A Change of Tune (Change #1)
  • The Far Away Years
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com
More about Megan Derr...

Missing Butterfly (6 books)
  • By the Way (Missing Butterfly, #1.2)
  • Tabloid Trouble (Missing Butterfly, #1.5)
  • Love You Like a Romance Novel (Missing Butterfly #2)
  • Shine Forever (Missing Butterfly #3)
  • Two for the Show (Missing Butterfly #4)