Start by marking “Ten Apples Up On Top!” as Want to Read:
Ten Apples Up On Top!

Ten Apples Up On Top! (Beginner Books B-19)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  28,221 Ratings  ·  452 Reviews
Learning to count has never been more fun than in this crazy tale of a dog, a lion and a tiger all showing off how many apples they can balance on their heads as they skip, walk the tightrope and roller skate their way through the book.

This delightful book forms part of the second stage in HarperCollins’ major Dr. Seuss rebrand programme. With the relaunch of 10 more title
Published August 4th 2003 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks (first published 1961)

Amy
Jul 08, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read every Dr. Seuss book out there and have loved all of them, but this one gets extra kudos, because not only did it help my daughter learn how to count, it also encouraged her love of books! This was one of her absolute favorites as she was learning how to read all by herself and she read it repeatedly. The illustrations by Roy McKie are adorably simple, great book!
Jason
Feb 08, 2016 Jason rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-cass
You can see why Dr Seuss did this under a different name, awful stuff. Rubbish illustrations, poor rhyming and it makes the counting a bit confusing, with its repeating and sudden counting down. Not impressed at all so it gets 2*, I read this to my daughter, might get her to read it instead, see if the book has a better effect then.
Sarah Sammis
Although I was a huge Dr. Seuss fan as a child, I missed Ten Apples Up on Top until my son started reading it. I probably missed it because he originally published it under his Theo LeSieg pseudonym. My son first discovered the edited board book version and the graduated to the full version in first grade. He in turn read it to his sister so now both children love it.

Ten Apples Up on Top is the story of three rollerskating friends, a lion, a dog and a tiger and their competition to see who can b
Heather
I had never read this as a child and was pleased to find it.

We first used it as an early reader, but it works great as a read-aloud for little guys too. The words are fairly easy and mainly phonetic or sight words. It's fun and has a good rhythm as well.

This book would also work well for math - counting as apples are added and taken away, as additional people join, etc.
Lesley
Aug 28, 2014 Lesley rated it it was amazing
still have this book from when I was a kid!
Karin
Feb 16, 2017 Karin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Counting Book
LeSieg, Theo (pseud). [Dr. Seuss]. Ten Apples Up On Top! (1961).
This silly Beginner Book by Dr. Seuss invites children to count along as a lion, a dog, and a tiger compete to see who can balance the most apples on their head. The competition escalates to a frenetic pace as the three characters decide to hop, skate, and drink while balancing apples in an effort to outdo each other. But with an angry bear on their tails, and a bunch of hungry birds after them will they be able to keep
F.R. Southerland
Jan 21, 2017 F.R. Southerland rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
My daughter got this book for Christmas. We've read it a couple of times since then. It's the one book where she can identify most of the words.
Nathan
Fantasy Review Barn for review with pictures.

Dr. Seuss, one Theodor Geisel, is of course best known as the writer/illustrator of just about every classic children’s book most of us have ever read. The books are silly, horrible to read to a child after the fifth time in one day, and full of made up words. What they are not, however, are offensive or controversial.

Geisel also published a number of books under a separate pen name, Theo LeSieg. While the story is that this pen name was used for book
Kristin
Sep 20, 2016 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Book summary: This is the book I used for poetry. It is not an award winnign book but so fun to read. Its about animals showing the number of apples they can balance on their head up to ten. This book rhymes and has fun colorful pictures. Just such a joy to read.
Grade level: PreK-1
Appropriate classroom use: I would like to use this book for two lessons. One for rhyming because it can be hard for kids to learn to rhyme, and another for counting. This book counts up to ten and down from ten. It w
Reham
Jan 26, 2014 Reham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten apples up on top 5-6

I like this book very much as it is very simple with very nice colors. This book is teaching the children the numbers 1 to 10 in a very simple and interesting way which is very good for children who just started to learn the math concepts. This book teaches children how to challenge themselves also, when those animals are trying to put the apples on their head without giving up trying. I like also the rhythmic and the sequence of this story too such as “Apples apples up o
SaraLaLa
Jun 07, 2016 SaraLaLa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
If you like rhyming, counting, lions, tigers, and what I can only assume is a dog interacting with each other, then this book is for you! Well... maybe, maybe not. I love all of those things, but I honestly make my husband read this to our infant at night because I'd rather read the other Dr. Seuss books to her.

I think the counting is "too advanced" for my daughter at this stage. Not because they count to ten, but because it's quick paced and a lot of apples (up to 10 on each character) on a p
Maureen Jehling
Dec 05, 2014 Maureen Jehling rated it liked it
Ten Apples Up On Top!, by Theo LeSieg, is a story about a few animal friends who are trying to balance apples on their heads. They end up getting competitive about it, and trying to see who can balance the most on their head at one time. The friends go to all sorts of extremes to try to win the competition!Then, they get in a little trouble when a surprise visitor shows up to end their fun. Go ahead and get this book to read with your children and see what happens!

This book includes a few differ
Christina De la Garza
Feb 16, 2016 Christina De la Garza rated it really liked it
Counting book
LeSieg, Theo (Dr. Suess). Tenn Applies Up On Top! New York: Random House Books, 1961.
In this spirited and engaging counting book, a lion, a dog, and a tiger compete to see how many apples they can balance on top of their heads. When the competition gets fierce, they each show what they can do while balancing the apples: jumping rope, roller skating, and even balancing on an electrical line! After counting along, young readers will find out who will be able to stack "ten apples up
Diana Garcia
Feb 13, 2014 Diana Garcia rated it really liked it
Shelves: counting, rhyming, animals
I like how the book makes counting fun. It counts forward and it was also going backwards. It shows a nice competition between friends and it gets children excited to learn. The illustrations stood out to me as well because I love seeing animals as characters. With all the ryhming and repition it gets children engaged and able to interact with the story. I also like how what first started like a friendly competition ends with all of them trying to protect their apples together. It's a great coun ...more
Christie
Mar 02, 2010 Christie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of my children have been obsessed with this book so I'm not surprised my almost 2 year old keeps asking to read the "apple book". We love it so very much we have a board book and a regular hardback.
Casandria
Dr. Seuss is marvelously talented at creating fun books with easy rhymes to read. He's also amazing at defying the laws of physics whenever it suits him!
Apples
Seuss
Janelle
Mar 23, 2013 Janelle rated it really liked it
A nice counting book that uses rhyme and repetition
Austin Wright
Feb 04, 2015 Austin Wright rated it did not like it
One of the dumbest things I've ever read...ever...
Sara Hemenway
Dec 17, 2012 Sara Hemenway rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Another one of my son's favorite books!
Kirsten
Jan 03, 2017 Kirsten rated it really liked it
It has some great math concepts in it, especially one-to-one correspondence and counting to 10. However, not the greatest pick for, me person, for storytime. Dr. Suess' books are longer than most I would read during storytime, and the stories with a lot of repetitive language. I find that the mixture of those two things--extra long with the same lines--results in my speeding up too much.

Also--it is difficult to find this book in a large enough size for storytime.

This is a funny story though, wi
Gracie
Feb 20, 2017 Gracie rated it liked it
Shelves: el-230
I read this book because it seemed like it would be a fun counting book for young children. Although, it does the job of counting from one to ten, it jumps around when counting up, repeats from random starting numbers, and counts down even. This could confuse young children who are just beginning to count. If it was being used in an elementary school classroom, I would use it once they are already familiar with basic counting.
Dana Franklin
Feb 13, 2017 Dana Franklin rated it it was amazing
This is a great rhyming book and it helps children understand the concept of counting and that you probably shouldn't keep apples on your head. It is also a cute little book for toddlers or older children because of the advanced rhyming.
Cara
I loved this book as a child, and I still love it as a adult.
My son is older than the first time I read it to him and he really enjoyed it this time, pointing and counting the apples on each page and being excited when there was more.
Dr. Seuss is still a genius! All kids love his books.
Meghan GTC
Feb 13, 2017 Meghan GTC rated it really liked it
While Dr. Seuss is difficult for children to follow, I feel like this one is an excellent book to help children count. The use of animals is also a relatable level for children.
Elizabeth
Feb 20, 2017 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Great book for counting and rhyme patterns
Brittany Harvey
Feb 20, 2017 Brittany Harvey rated it it was amazing
Good book to teach counting and has very visually appealing illustrations. It is a very fun book and can do so much with it!
Christine Grant
Mar 07, 2017 Christine Grant rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Super silly book about balancing apples on your head. I'm not sure why the bears in the story are so angry at the lion, dog and tiger but kids love it.
Holli
Mar 06, 2017 Holli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
So that's where all my apples went. I was beginning to wonder.
Den
Oct 31, 2016 Den rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, 2016
Not my favourite Dr Seuss book but another fun one to read aloud
Heather
Dec 04, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
Baby loved it!
  • Daisy-Head Mayzie
  • The Berenstains' B Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • A Fly Went by (Beginner Books(R))
  • Snow (Beginner Books B-27)

Beginner Books (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Are You My Mother?
  • A Fish Out of Water (Beginner Books B-23)
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • Bennett Cerf's Book of Riddles (Beginner Books)
  • Animal Riddles
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet!
  • My Book About Me by ME Myself
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
  • A Fly Went by (Beginner Books(R))