Start by marking “The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy, #1)

The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy #1)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Five hundred years have passed since the Earth shifted on its axis - a catastrophic event that wiped out civilization and released magic back to Earth. Now, a dark age shrouds our world once more.

Journey into a future rife with witches, conjurers, and mythical creatures that have returned from the nether realm. Follow three intertwined fates: Paine, a young man hunted by
Kindle Edition and Trade Paperback
Published February 6th 2010 by Stonehenge Press (first published February 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Coming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Coming

Nancy
Jul 29, 2011 Nancy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancy by: David Burton
Shelves: e-books, lgbt, sf-fantasy
Wow, I was really impressed by this debut novel!

In a post-apocalyptic world, 500 years after the earth shifted on its axis, dark magic, angels, demons, witches, and a cast of characters with hidden agendas flourished. Various religious beliefs come into conflict with each other, some loosely based on Christianity, some Native American, and others.

This complex and very dark story contained some common fantasy elements, yet managed to be fresh, original and exciting. The pace was relentless and t
Jon
Jun 18, 2010 Jon rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: Fantasy Book Club June 2010 Selection
Let me preface this review by saying that I rarely (and I mean very rarely) ever read the horror genre. I went through a phase, during my early teen years, where that's all I read. But I decided, quickly, that I preferred reading stories of more depth and complexity, stories that didn't patronize me, the reader, or insult my intelligence. Hence, I moved on to epic fantasy and other fantasy sub-genres and never looked back.

So I had many misgivings when this novel by David Burton won the poll for
Jim
4.5 stars. I've read a fair amount of fantasy, adventure & horror over the years - enough that I don't often find something really new that I like. I did this time - it was both unique & thrilling.

An excellent dark fantasy or horror fantasy that sets the background in a post apocalyptic world based on our current one & the Christian myth, adds in some others, & stirs the mix into an intriguing mystery-adventure. It is not for the faint-hearted. All of the characters are flawed, m
Becky
Update - 5.17.10: So, after attempting and not being able to finish this once before, the author kindly sent me an updated version, which I will admit was much better. There were still some grammatical and spelling errors, but they were not at all as distracting as they had been in the original edition.

I don't feel like I understood everything that happened in the story, and I think that a lot of that had to do with feeling that I was told rather than shown what happened. The end of the story b
Stephen
3.5 stars. Excellent debut novel. I am a big fan of interesting world-building and the author has created a very imaginative, very unique world that I hope to be able to explore further in future novels. Add to that a dark (or should I say very dark) and complex plot peopled with unusual characters and you have the makings of a great read. Not your typical fantasy by a long shot. Well worth a look. Recommended!!!
David Burton
Feb 28, 2010 David Burton added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy
"Beautifully written, dark and eerie vision of an apocalyptic future" - New York Times Bestselling Author, Margaret Weis

"David H. Burton is a dark new talent in the genre. This one will make you leave the lights on for a week!" - USA Today Bestseller, Cathy Clamp.
Ronda  Tutt
WOW!!!! There are many words to describe this book. Excelent, Powerful, Exciting, Thrilling, etc... The story was creatively written, I felt like I was at the scene and experienceing everything around me as I read.

Most Fantasy reads it takes a couple of chapters to get into the book before the story picks up and runs but not this story - it captures you by the time your done with the 1st page.

Paine and Lya's story is awsome. There is so many things that happen in this story that it would take to
Chris
This was a very impressive first book by a small press author. I was pleasantly surprised.

Sure, it was a bit erratic at times. The tenses seemed to switch up and the time flow was confusing. The story didn't always flow smoothly from event to event, as time shifted differently for the different character sets.

There was also a lot of backstory. Repeat: a LOT. Good backstory, I'll give him that. Very intriguing stuff. I just felt overwhelmed with it all at some points. It was hard to keep the cha
Kiki
The language of David H. Burton in this story was at times poetic, and at time prophetic. The words, always descriptive would one minute make me feel like I was there, a part of the action, and then the next drive home an image so bluntly that I would be shocked out of my flight into fantasy. It was an amazing ride.

The characters were deep, all rich with back stories, driven by differing motives, while omitting just enough to keep me on edge constantly wanting to know more about them. My only ev
Jason Huffman-black
This book was amazingly vivid with a plot that was deep and complex. The characters were vibrant and I found myself immersed almost immediately in the story. I enjoyed the religious overtones along with the paranormal aspects. This is book one of a series so I can understand the loose ends left at the end but I felt a bit disappointed with the last chapter enough to bring the rating down from a 5 to a 4.

Spoilers in the remainder of the review:

I really loved this book. The characters are amazing
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
stormhawk
May 15, 2010 stormhawk rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to stormhawk by: David H. Burton (author)
Shelves: kindle
Began reading this on the recommendation of the author. I easily see the seeds of an epic tale within this book, even without seeing the "#1" in the subtitle. Unfortunately, like many fantasy novels of this type, I was disappointed by the incompleteness of the story. The book doesn't quite stand alone ... it seems to rely on the words not yet offered to the reader in the following books. The ending is not quite a cliffhanger, but close enough. In the end I found myself more interested in the wor ...more
Sandra
I did not finish this book. I just couldn't read any more. I did not buy the premise -- that somehow the earth shifting on its axis caused some kind of upheaval that made witches and religious zealots. The writing was pedestrian, the characters were paper cutouts. I couldn't relate to any of them. The one woman was a kind of mysterious demon/witch whose motives were unfathomable to me. Another woman was a fighter type. The cultures were not clear. The sexual innuendos were icky. The tension and ...more
Lori
Free Download from author for review

Thanks go out to the author, David H Burton, for bringing his self-published novel to my attention.

Due to a not-yet-fully-explained catastrophe, the Earth is knocked off it's axis, unleashing things that were better kept hidden. Ghouls, demons, dark angels, Firstborns, Lastborns, Obeks, Imps... all crawled to the surface to fight for control under an immoral God.

Some of the surviving humans turned to witchery and the occult; learned how to summon spells; creat
Heather
I read the $0.99 promotional edition.
For $0.99 I can put up with a fair number of copyediting issues, and I did.

For the book itself, I have mixed feelings. The writing was uneven--in parts really good, in parts Worst Of Hack Fantasy.

It's post-apocalyptic fantasy, but there doesn't seem to be much point to the post-apocalyptic part. Maybe later in the series it will matter that this world of magical powers had a technological past, but in the first book it's largely irrelevant.

A little ways in, i
Jeff Watson
The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy) is the first book in a series. It takes place in a world based on our own but altered by an apocalyptic event that melds other realities with our own. David H. Burton does a nice job of weaving a dark and sometimes horrifying world in which magic functions and variations on elder races walk the world. The author uses a large cast of characters who wield dark magic, nature magic, and other forms of magic to tell an intriguing tale that includes an interes ...more
Pam
I finished this one scratching my head. Let me begin by saying that this is NOT the type of book that I would normally choose. I can not say that it was bad because I really did want to finish it.

I'm struggling to write this review simply because I am really unsure of what happened in the story. Did the good triumph over the evil? Each character was possesed with some sort of demon or special power, so I was never able to determine who was really good and well, the bad seemed to be really bad.
A.E.
Fans of films like The Prophecy and Legion will eat this up like pudding on Christmas day. Also, it doesn’t hurt that the guy on the cover kind of has a “Jonathan Rhys Meyers as creepy priest” vibe going on ;-) If you like a story that has Fallen Angels, demonic plots, the Spear of Destiny, summoning demons, witches, and more, you’ll enjoy this book very much. The book has shades of Buffy and Supernatural and Burton’s writing has echoes of Douglas Clegg but in terms of plot, it’s most comparable ...more
Cribquilter
A complete do not put down book. I am not one for this kind of genre, but this was a great read. I am anxious for words of prophecy book 2 to see what happens next. My favorite character was Brahm.
Geoffrey
I liked this book. It was an interesting mix of Christian and pagan mythologies mixed together with a heavy dose of religious dystopia.
Kristina
Are you ready? Really? You may want to sit down while reading the book....you may be shocked at times...

If you are a reader who prefers to stick with christian fiction or wholesome stories then I suggest that you stay VERY FAR AWAY from this one. I'll say right now that I don't think you'd like it. I read everything as some of you may have noticed; not much offends me...so if you're a reader like me then I would recommend checking this one out.

I enjoyed the STORY and think that David did an exce
Caleb Blake
Set in a post-apocalyptic earth, The Second Coming is the introduction to an ‘in progress’ series named Words of the Prophecy. Centuries after the Earth shifted on its axis nearly wiping out mankind and unleashing all manner of dark and otherworldly creatures, a long-prophesied event has occurred, one that threatens the remainder of humanity.

Burton has provided a suitably dark world for the reader to explore and he paints it innovatively. There is a real play with mythology and religious history
Robert Stadnik
This was the first novel I read from the author. There are a lot of characters in the book. Initially, I was concerned that with so many characters the story could become disjointed. But as I continued with the story the characters slowly flowed together and their connections revealed over time.

The author does a good job of establishing the environment of the story. I truly had a sense of a medieval-type atmosphere that the world now exists in. I'm not one for stories with heavy religious themes
Julie
Feb 11, 2011 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
David Burton has quickly become one of my favorite authors. Why? His writing is exactly what I look for: something DIFFERENT. Yes, yes, I enjoy the sappy romance novels, the intellectual histories, and the various best sellers that I read; but, I also love it when I find a story that flies in the face of conventional thought. The Second Coming certainly qualifies as "unconventional."

Burton's ability to create a world with the written word astounds me. In The Second Coming, the earth has shifted
K
I have way too many books in the TBR pile, but after seeing this in the Fantasy Book Club, and reading the excerpt on smashwords, I had to buy and download the rest of it and read it straight away. I was a little worried when I noticed the word "dark" used in almost every review of this book, I have no idea what "dark fantasy" meant, so I was psyching myself for major trauma/gore, but now that I've finished it I'm glad there was no need for the worry.

So, there was a lot I liked about this book -
David McAfee
David Burton's THE SECOND COMING is a beautifully written novel. Burton's post apocalyptic world is so fully realized and so well described I almost felt like I was standing there with Brahm, Paine, Lya, and the rest of them. I loved the way Burton blended Native Americans and their mythologies into the story.

My favorite character is Friar John. I spent most of the book wanting to know his secret. It's a biggie, but I won't spoil it for you.

Burton is a master storyteller. Creating worlds and t
Gary F
As someone who has stuck almost exclusively to non fiction books, I was not sure how much I would enjoy this book. Well after finishing the book I can say it just an amazing book. You literally felt as if you were transported to another world with such great details paid to the descriptive elements of the book. This respect for detail from Mr Burton really played a key role in why the book was able to draw you in so deep. Add to this a plethora of unique and diverse characters plus a plot that i ...more
Matt
One of those odd books wherein the author has the capability of putting together writing that is technically outstanding but storyline-wise is confusing and difficult to follow. I felt that there might have been a plot here that I might be interested in but I couldn't follow it well enough to really figure out what was going on. It seems that the author has written a number of books though - perhaps I'll try another selection further down the line and see if it fulfills some of the promise I see ...more
Brainycat
Fantastic book! Very highly recommended, and I can't wait for the sequel. I usually don't like fantasy as much as sci-fi/horror, but I'm always a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories, especially when The Church isn't the good guys.

Better characterization than I've come to expect from Major Published Authors, an engaging plot and a setting that is intriguing and thoughtful.
Maya
Read my review as part of Read All Over's 31 Days of Halloween extravaganza
  • Strange Places (Finding Tayna, #1)
  • The Duchess of the Shallows (The Grey City, #1)
  • The Wicked Day  (The Tormay Trilogy, #3)
  • Disciple (Part I)
  • Anniversary Day (Retrieval Artist, #8)
  • The Select
  • The Drought
  • Unstable Prototypes
  • Heretic (Templar Chronicles, #1)
  • John Gone (The Diaspora Trilogy, #1)
  • A Latent Dark
  • Hunting in Hell (De La Roca Chronicles, #1 and #2)
  • Diary of a Small Fish
  • Assemblers of Infinity
  • The Marinara Murders
  • The Hour Before Dark
  • Demon's Fall
Author, adoptive father of 3 boys, manager of chaos, science and technology geek, person of the queer persuasion, and purveyor of sacrilege.

See my web site for more info.

More about David H. Burton...
Broken: A Paranormal Romance Scourge: A Grim Doyle Adventure (Grim Doyle Adventures, #1) Simian's Lair Three Little Wonders: An Adoption Story Billy Bones: Beyond the Grave (Billy Bones, #1)