Start by marking “Beyond Recall Beyond Recall Beyond Recall” as Want to Read:
Beyond Recall Beyond Recall Beyond Recall

Beyond Recall Beyond Recall Beyond Recall

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  792 ratings  ·  52 reviews
On a bright autumn afternoon in Truro, the Napier family celebrates one couple's golden wedding anniversary and another's marriage. But for one member of the clan, the day turns dark. ChrisNapier, prodigal son, suddenly spots the ragged specter of a former friend, Nicky Lanyon-a man whose own family was ruined by the same twist of fate with which the Napiers were blessed. ...more
Published February 24th 2009 by Delta (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Recall Beyond Recall Beyond Recall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Recall Beyond Recall Beyond Recall

Lesley Miller
Robert Goddard is a non-guilty pleasure for me when I want to read gentle prose. He has a lovely touch with words even when covering death and ruin. When you are in the mood for something that you can simply read then he is your author,
Jul 19, 2013 LG rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: loyal Goddard fans
Like Emma Moresco, one of the more important characters, I enjoyed the tour of Cornwall that we get in this novel, the author’s 10th. Even though I’ve never been to Truro or Torquay or Pangbourne (and am not likely to visit any of these places), his succinct descriptions strike some sort of universal chord. Here’s one: “Battersea Park was bathed in crystalline sunlight, gilding the yellows and reds of the trees around the boating lake and etching the lines of the power-station chimneys beyond Qu ...more
Sometimes I think Robert Goddard's books are great, other times he sells us a turkey - they're silly, and they lack credibility etc, but this one was one of the first. A crime from forty years previously comes back to haunt a wealthy family when the son returns to a family wedding to find his old childhood friend has hanged himself. There's the usual raft of family secrets, flashbacks to the past and mysterious happenings whilst the hero runs round hopelessly at a breakneck pace.

It filled up the
Elizabeth Elwood
Another engrossing read from Robert Goddard. Like many of his books, this novel fluctuates between the past and the present as the protagonist tries to uncover a web of intrigue that began in 1947 and resulted in the suicide of a childhood friend thirty-four years later. The shock of his friend’s suicide, a dramatic hanging on the day of his sister’s wedding and the golden wedding anniversary of his parents, drives Chris Napier to ferret out the truth about his great-uncle’s murder, a brutal sta ...more
I am generally a fan of Robert Goddard and this is a good example. His novels are interesting and entertaining and then have a twist at the end in the "who did it" moment. The book is based on a man who goes back home for a party and is dragged back to his childhood friendship. His friend's Father is hanged for murder and his friend hangs himself 20 odd years later maintaining his Dad's innocence. Beyond Recall encourages the review of the murder to see whether the Father was really guilty or in ...more
Another unique mystery from the pen of Robert Goddard, a writer who knows how to create thought provoking, absorbing stories peopled with conflicted characters, some-what flawed protagonists and descriptive images of the British countryside that are so vivid you feel an overwhelming urge to jump on the next plane and have a look for yourself.

The story spans a period of time from the late 1940's to the early 1980's and examines the impact of a 35 year old murder on the two families directly invo
Joe Stamber
I've read quite a few Goddards now, and it has to be said that like many authors he has a particular style. In fact, he has a very particular style. Fortunately for me, it's a style I like.

I'm not going to give plot details as they are available elsewhere. Beyond Recall is typical Goddard, a mystery moving between related stories in different timelines. As such, it's an enjoyable read with quite a few twist and turns, some I saw coming, others not.

For the most of the book, it was a solid 4 sta
Stephanie Cowart
This is my first Robert Goddard book. I gather he is well-known author. This book had a comment of praise on it from Stephen King so I went into it thinking it was going to be pretty good.

I wasn’t impressed.

The book flipped back and forth every couple of pages between the past and the more present past (but past nonetheless) and it was hard to follow. It took FOREVER to get interesting. I wasn’t really involved in the characters so the thing that happened to them didn’t really touch me. Honestly
J. Walker
I'm starting to lose steam on Robert Goddard; this is number four, virtually in a row.
I heard about him because of my interest in the Carmine Delmonico mysteries by Colleen McCullough.
His plotting is exceptional; his characters are each and all distinct, within a small range of human experience - these are mostly-white murder mysteries in and around the English countryside.
Karen wadey
I enjoyed this book, good characters and great plot, lots of twists and turns to the storyline. Robert Goddard has great skill as a writer all his books are different and you never know what you are going to get. I'm sure I will read more in the but I'm not compelled to in the near future.
My 3rd-and favourite-Goddard to date. Lots of twists in a quite intriguing tale of revenge and misplaced loyalties. The ending was rather saccharine coated, but nonetheless wound up the tale quite adequately. I'm finding these novels rather interesting-some good insights into the motivations of the characters, and a fast enough moving plot to keep the pages turning. More depth would be appreciated at times-but guess that could be counter productive, and the plot would inevitably need to play a s ...more
Lisa Sansone
Sep 02, 2011 Lisa Sansone is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Update: I am hating this book. I can't decide whether to just give up on it, or to keep slogging through. It is so self-indulgent and tedious, and could use a massive editing job.

So far, I am having a hard time getting through this. I just personally don't care for all of the endless details of this rather boring, old British family. Not sure if all of this minutia serves the plot or not, but it is super-dry, for my tastes. I chose the book largely because there was a glowing quote from Stephen
Bryan Higgs
This is the tenth Robert Goddard novel I've read in my quest to read his novels in chronological order. This one seems back on track after a couple of not-so-good ones with plots that didn't seem to be terribly realistic.

The male protagonist in this one is, as usual, flawed, but seems to have acquired a reasonable backbone for the inevitable role he assumes. The plot, as usual, has its twists and turns, including its places where you think some minor mystery is explained, only to have it snatch
Robert Goddard is one of my favourite authors - I am slowly picking up all back copies from any where I can find them - from sale of books in hospital foyers to charity shops! He has a theme he returns to - a male protagonist who is not a perfect human being but deep down is made of the right stuff. Somehow circumstances will force this person to dig deep and come up with the goods...sounds repetitive but he makes it work so differently in each book and you meet some pretty unpleasant folk along ...more
Bruce Reid
A better-than-average run through of several genre tropes, from the past that won't stay buried to the mystery woman with an even more mysterious vendetta. But the moral conundrums on display don't impress as much as the author apparently believes--there's a lot of special pleading to make the black sheep narrator much the most honorable member of his family. And the plot twists, while not egregiously out of left field, are merely expedient. Flipping back after each rug-pull to the relevant conv ...more
Good plot,nice twists but too much back and forth between past and present.
There were some surprises, but the book was very slow in places.
A solid 3 1/2 star read.
raheleh mansoor
May 01, 2007 raheleh mansoor rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pedram, Parimah
A fun suspense and mystery. It ate up my Sunday afternoon very enjoyably. I would put him in the same category as my other newest favorite British mystery writer, Barbara Vine, although his story is not quite as densely woven and masterful as her best.

It tells the story of a wealthy family on the British coast, from the perspective of the black sheep son. He is thrust into a quest to uncover the sordid secrets in his family's past and the windfall that made them wealthy.

Really a 3.5! Good pace and intriguing.
After a somewhat muddy and overly long first act this story begins to build up a head of steam about a third of the way in. From there it is classic Goddard until the final act when all is revealed and the various loose ends are drawn together. I am pleased that I persisted through those early chapters for another compelling book by this excellent author.
Jeremy Hornik
British provincial mystery. A man tries to figure out what happened years ago when his uncle was murdered, and his best friend's father was hanged for it. I had to push myself through the first half. The second half picked up with some nice reversals and such, but I just never was thrilled.
Ok, so it's not PD James level. The beginning dragged a bit, but there were some unexpected plot twists and interesting family dynamics, which I appreciated. I was happy to spend time with my nose in this one, but won't go and buy extra copies to press into the hands of my friends.
Hazel McHaffie
Another cracking read by one of my favourite authors. Another flawed hero and enough twists and turns to keep you turning the pages. This one is about writing a great wrong from the past - well it would be, wouldn't it? It's Robert Goddard who's really into redemption.
I liked this book a lot... Obviously more than many reviewers. I found the characters intriguing, the plot twists and turns engaging, and couldn't wait to pick it up each evening.

I don't believe I've read Robert Goddard before, buy would certainly read him again.
I enjoyed it as I normally do Goddard's but it can't have been too fantastic since only a month after reading it I can't recall enough to review it properly. Still, I'd recommend it as a beach (it's where I live!) read.
Tom Blumer
What I like about Robert Goddard is that you really never can figure out how the story will end. Makes the reading suspenseful throughout. This book is no exception. Maybe not his best, but certainly a very good read.

This was a great book. Lots of twists and turns. Which kept guessing right to the end. Would have hot 5 stars but for the initial start where should an 11 year old feel so guilty 30 years on??
Excellent mystery. I really like this author and haven't read him in a few years. Great plot twists, great writing, wonderful damaged protagonist with a moral compass. Mysteries in the past and present.
  • Undone
  • Our Lady of Pain (Mark Tartaglia, #2)
  • Betrayal
  • Living Proof (Charles Resnick, #7)
  • Perfectly Pure and Good (Sarah Fortune, #2)
  • Pay Off
  • The Reunion
  • Past Reason Hated (Inspector Banks, #5)
  • The Color of Night
  • Final Argument
  • True Crime
  • Eyeshot (Sonora Blair, #2)
  • Figure of Hate (Crowner John Mystery #9)
  • Bleeding Heart Square
  • The Prophetess
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • Journey's End
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
In a writing career spanning more than twenty years, Robert Goddard's novels have been described in many different ways - mystery, thriller, crime, even historical romance. He is the master of the plot twist, a compelling and engrossing storyteller and one of the best known advocates for the traditional virtues of pace, plot and narrative drive.
More about Robert Goddard...
In Pale Battalions Into the Blue Past Caring Caught In The Light Never Go Back