Start by marking “Do No Harm” as Want to Read:
Do No Harm

Do No Harm

Division chief of emergency services at UCLA hospital, David Spier is just as horrified as his colleagues when a madman wielding a beaker of drain cleaner attacks an ER nurse who happens to be the sister of an LAPD cop. But when he uncovers the abuse the assailant suffered as a child in a psychological experiment Spier's own mother signed off on decades ago, David puts his ...more
ebook
Published July 1st 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Do No Harm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do No Harm

Books
Jul 19, 2015 Books rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ellen-s-reviews
Do No Harm is an utterly captivating thriller that is certainly going on my favorite reads for 2015 list. A vengeful sadist is attacking the E.R. of the UCLA Medical Center. David Spier, chief of the E.R., must keep his head and his humanity to deal with the problem.

A good novel must start with a hook and this book certainly does. After this gripping beginning, the story simply doesn't let go of the reader until the very last sentence. From the busy life in the E.R. to police politics and proced
Diane
May 04, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all my sick shit friends
This book started right into the serial killer throwing alkali on a nurse right outside the ER where she worked. UCLA nurses are being targeted by Clyde, an evil psychologically impaired individual who has a dreadful past. At one time he did this he was caught by the police and admitted to the ER because his container of Drain-Eze spilled all over him. The Chief of the ER, Dr. David Spier, treated him and then kept prolonging his release. Police, hospital employees, everyone was angry with him - ...more
Tricia Douglas
A good medical thriller from Hurwitz that takes place on my old college campus, UCLA. A mentally unstable man is using Drano to disfigure nurses at the Med Center. Dr. Spier, the ER Chief, takes it upon himself to search out this assailant. Later we learn why this man has become violent and how the Dr. is involved. The story starts out slowly, but then gets up to speed about 50 pages in. This was my second medical thriller this month, just by chance. Parson's book called No Harm allowed me to le ...more
Edward Lorn
Aug 28, 2012 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad but true, this is the first non-horror book I ever read. I was 22. The opening sequence had me hooked, and never let go. A stellar outing that zipped by; 544 pages disappearing as if I had simply read a 100 page novella. After Hurwitz, I discovered Michael Prescott and Thomas Harris, who are still two of my favorite thriller authors.

Unfortunately, (while waiting on Hurwitz's next book) I got so lost in Prescott and Thomas that I forgot to look Gregg up again. A few days ago, I snagged Trust
Miłośniczka Książek
Najbardziej newralgicznym oddziałem każdego szpitala jest ostry dyżur. To tu podejmowane są decyzje, od których zależy życie trafiających nań pacjentów. Pracujący na nim lekarze mają zawsze ręce pełne roboty i ani chwili na odpoczynek. Złożona przez nich przysięga Hipokratesa zobowiązuje do niesienia pomocy każdemu, kto tego potrzebuje, bez względu na okoliczności i wyznawane przez siebie wartości. A przynajmniej tak być powinno...

Kiedy jednak na oddział ratunkowy Centrum Medycznego w Los Angele
Marsha
Medical thriller which puts emergency room Dr in conflict with police. When an unstable man disfigures female hospital workers by throwing lye at them, including a local cop's sister, the community is enrarged. Injured during the capture, the suspect is at first refused care by medical personnel with the exception of the chief of emergency medicine who is subsequently pressured into releasing him to the cops asap. Afraid that the police will kill the man, the DR refuses. Unfortuneately for all, ...more
Nickvlad
The story moves along well and the depiction of the antagonist is done very well with some very disturbing details of his life and lifestyle.

However, the protagonist is an annoying, self-righteous fool for most of the book. A lot of the other characters are common cliches. The violent, vengeful cop who's willing to break any law to get the villain, the incredibly well-dressed detective with a frightful slob for a partner, a young doctor who makes an error in the ER and then has to be coaxed bac
Jordan
Feb 15, 2015 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un buen libro, nos encontramos con ciertas cuestiones psicológicas muy interesantes, al iniciar es una lectura excesivamente rica en detalles que ralentizan el progreso de la historia, sin embargo esta progresa a tal nivel que te hará querer seguir leyendo. Técnicamente esta muy bien documentado, al menos hay un trabajo de investigación certera que hacen que los hechos sean congruentes por si mismos. Se conecta con las profundas motivaciones humanas, la ética, el amor, el drama y el suspenso ...more
Alexandra Pauley
May 28, 2011 Alexandra Pauley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It made me think of how I would (and have) react to ethical and human dilemas. We are all, in the end, human, so does that mean we should forgive everything or does that mean we still have to separate ourselves from evil people? I don't know that anyone is black and white (personality wise). I have done and said some things that I wish I hadn't and Hitler liked dogs, so what does that mean in the end?? We are what we mostly do? Maybe...
Maria
Apr 07, 2007 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like thrillers, people who can stand a bit of blood and guts
This book is probably my all-time favorite. Or close, if it isn't. It's not literary in the least but it is such an awesome story. It makes you really think about medical ethics. Is it still right to heal someone who has caused others so much pain and suffering? And the characters are very likable... except the bad guy. This book got me started on the whole medical thing. Gregg Hurwitz is a talented author and I would definitely recommend his other books.
Kath
I liked the book but I think the characterizations were a little weak and unrealistic. Also, the psychological make-up of the attacker seemed a bit contrived. I don't feel reading it was a waste of time but I much preferred You're Next by the same author.
Jp
This is Gregg Hurwitz's, third novel. Back when he was mostly writing thrillers, rather than Tim Rackley series of books.

Here, you can see where he's found his stride as a novelist. He has well drawn, complex characters - doctors, nurses, police, etc... - many struggling with losses and grief, as they work together to stop a lunatic threatening a hospital.
Deb Mj
Mar 02, 2010 Deb Mj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, although it did stretch the bounds of credibility just a bit. The villian is so horrible, but despite my horror about him, he also garnered a bit of sympathy. Definitely a worthwhile read.

Oh, and after reading this, any thought I might have given to donating my body to science is now out the door. Very creepy imagery.
Christina
Eh, it was ok. Substance points for writing a thriller that grapples with medical and ethical issues and for creating a bad guy that was both monstrous and pitiable. I didn't like the writing style all that much and his characters were prolific and not very memorable. I won't be running out to read more of his books.
Skip
Oct 02, 2011 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The weakest effort I have read by Hurwitz to date (of 7.) A nurse and doctor have lye thrown in their faces by a psychopath, who an ER doctor tries to protect from the police. Very twisted plot, with what I thought was a contrived theme of medical ethics integrated in the plot. Too much medicine too.
Meredith C
This is one of those 99 cent used books you pick up for a road trip. Entertaining, keeps you turning pages, but at the same time you know it's the silliest thing ever. Gruesome villain, perfect hero, graphic crime on the first page... yeah, pretty much a suspense for Law and Order SVU watchers. But I finished it and was pleased with the ending. So there.
Mackenzie
Apr 01, 2009 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mackenzie by: my mom
Shelves: bought-used-new
Omigosh, there are absolutely no words I can think of at the moment to describe how amazing I thought this book was. Every moment, I was filled with intrigue as to what was to happen next, or how it would all tie together at the end. definitely read it!
Mimi
Mar 16, 2013 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only reason for giving this book three instead of four stars was the gruesome details of the psychological experiments that permanently damage one of the participants who grows up to exact revenge on the medical center that sanctioned (for a short while) the study. Very good character study.
Kathryn
Mar 29, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A thriller that isn't very thrilling - it's clogged with too many side stories and not enough action.
Katherine
Jul 25, 2014 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read....lots of detail, backrond and not at all predictable!!!
Nev Thomas
Ok thriller about a acid thrower
Vivian
Jun 24, 2010 Vivian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I like this author, but I couldn't finish this book. Moved too slowly for me and I couldn't generate any interest for the characters.
D. Norman
Started great but some of the situations with the Dr. seemed a little far fetched. Also needed tighter editing. Probably 50 pages too long. But I enjoyed reading it.
Tony
Apr 09, 2012 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. He does wind a good story.
Roslyn Miller
May 16, 2013 Roslyn Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great story from Hurwitz, each one as good as the last...very enjoyable
Eileen Engel
Feb 21, 2014 Eileen Engel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent
Brenda
Aug 12, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character was a little dumb at times.
Naomi
Aug 22, 2009 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a real thriller that never lets up. A story about an ER doctor that tries to save a patient that is dangerous and deluded. Have to keep reading until the end.
Kerry
Feb 28, 2014 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely my favorite Gregg Hurwitz to date!
medical drama 2 6 Mar 29, 2013 01:59PM
  • The Solomon Effect (Jax Alexander Mystery #2)
  • The Death List
  • Whirlpool
  • The Wind Dancer/Storm Winds
  • Never Look Back
  • Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4)
  • Mortal Evidence: The Forensics Behind Nine Shocking Cases
  • Order to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #15)
  • The Athens Solution (Scot Harvath #14.5)
  • Dead Man Waltzing (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #2)
  • The One Man
  • The Lesson of Her Death
  • The Inquisitor's Key (Body Farm #7)
  • The Blue Edge of Midnight (Max Freeman, #1)
  • Fatal Care (Joanna Blalock #7)
  • Shiny Water (Michael Stone, #1)