Start by marking “Hush” as Want to Read:
Hush

Hush

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  2,185 ratings  ·  289 reviews

New York Times bestselling author and Cosmopolitan's editor-in-chief returns with a sizzling, page-turning thriller in which an ordinary woman flees the scene of a murder—and realizes it's not just the law that's hunting her.

When Lake Warren learns that her husband, Jack, is suing for full custody of their two kids four months after their separation, she's pretty certain
Published March 2nd 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hush

Sara Strand
OK. Let me start by telling you that I absolutely COULD NOT put this book down. If you are a fan of the Law & Order shows.. this one is for you. This could easily have been an episode and it was a great thriller. Throughout the book I'm trying to read for clues and was trying to piece it together. Every time I thought that I had it figured out, something else got thrown in and it blew my theory on the crime.

I felt like the characters were easy to relate to- like if this were a real life thi
Jaime
I’m going to get straight to the point. I didn’t like this. Not only is Lake’s name ridiculous, most of her actions are ridiculous. She seems to be allergic to the police, no matter what sort of danger or harassment has befallen her, all with the weak excuse of "if anything bad is connected with me, my ex-husband will steal my kids!". It just didn’t hold together for me. I thought she was infuriatingly stupid. With infertility treatment being a burgeoning issue, this could have been an interesti ...more
Michelle
This book certainly has an interesting premise: woman sleeps with a colleague and wakes up to find him murdered. She can’t go to the police, not even when she feels someone is after her, because she’s in a bitter custody battle. What a way to raise the stakes right off the bat. Any parent would totally get that. There were times later in the book where I thought, “okay she really needs to go to the police now” but still I understood Lake’s reasons for keeping quiet.

That said, this book was hard
NayNay
SYNOPSIS -Four months after their separation, marketing consultant Lake Warren faces a tough legal battle with her husband, Jack, for custody of their two kids. Though the timing couldn't be worse, she finds herself responding to the flirtations of Dr. Mark Keaton, her handsome colleague at the Advanced Fertility Center. But the morning after their one-night stand, Lake discovers Keaton with his throat slashed.

Afraid of losing her children forever, Lake lies to the police—and begins searching f
Staci
Mar 01, 2011 Staci rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Staci by: TLC Book Tour

"Lake opened her mouth to scream but nothing came out. her breath seemed dead-bolted in her chest. She knew she needed to get closer, to check if Keaton was alive. But she couldn't move." [p.37]

....With that kind of writing this book had me turning the pages and not wanting to stop reading until I had finished the story. I really needed to know who killed Keaton and why. At the beginning I liked Lake and could totally commiserate with her in regards to having a vindictive ex-spouse. But as the
Tracy
Typical thriller. Lots of twists and I didn't guess the killer, but I think that was only because there were too many characters. Would of liked to see more points of view and I got tired of all the speculating questions made by the main character. "Was the killer watching her? Did the killer work at the clinic? Was the killer a hitman? Was the killer involved in the victim's gambling debt? Does the killer like taking long walks along the beach at sunset?" Yea, those went overboard and some shou ...more
Sharal Hunter
Another one bites the dust. Didn't care for this one at all. Couldn't connect to any of the characters and thought the heroine, Lake, was weak and lacked common sense.
Crystal
Talk about a roller coaster - that is what I would sum this book up as. It's a thrill ride from beginning to end. Hush is the first book I have read from author Kate White, though I have been wanting to read her Bailey Weggins series. I was intrigued on how the Editor-in-Chief of Cosmopolitan magazine would pull off a thriller and I have to say she does a great job with it.

I liked Lake from the beginning (though I kept wanting to read her name as Luke - Lake is just different). She is a woman wh
Pamela
Lake Warren is going thru a very difficult divorce as her soon-to-be ex wants full custody of the children. Not only that, it seems that she's come across a perplexing mystery at the fertility clinic, where she's working, a mystery that could get her killed. However, she's determined to figure out what's going on.

Granted the two events going on her life would make any book interesting to read, this one leaves you feeling gypped. It does grab your attention at the start making you want to read o
Diane
I don't read many mystery/thriller books, (mostly because I don't like the whole women-in-jeopardy-thing) but once I picked up Kate White's Hush, I found I couldn't put it down.

Lake Warren (why do they always have names like that?) is going through a bitter divorce, and now her soon-to-be ex is suing for full custody of their two children. She runs her own small marketing firm, and she is in the middle of working on a big presentation for a hot-shot fertility clinic.

She makes the mistake of slee
Marie
In Hush, Lake Warren, a marketing consultant for a fertility clinic, is fighting with her soon-to-be-ex husband over the custody of her two children. After a night of indiscretion with one of the doctor at the clinic, she awakens the next morning, to find him murdered. Since any impropriety on her part could be used against her in the custody case, she decides to tell no one about it and flees the scene. When the police start snooping around, she lies to them. After awhile they start zeroing in ...more
Mary Kennedy
I caught up with the multi-talented Kate White, editor-in-chief of Cosmo and author of the enormously popular Bailey Weggins mystery series. She stopped by to talk about HUSH and how she juggles her complicated life, why she’s writing a book on time management, and where she finds her inspiration.
Q: HUSH is your first stand-alone thriller. I wondered, why a stand-alone thriller, and why now?

A: Well, as we know at Cosmo, sometimes even the best relationships need a break. I love writing the Bai
Cheryl
Lake Warren is a marketing consultant. Her current client is an infertility clinic. Lake is currently going through a nasty divorce. Her ex-husband wants full custody of the children in order to try and get Lake to claim less in the settlement.

Lake goes home with one of the doctors at the infertility clinic and wakes to find him murdered in bed. Instead of calling the police, Lake leaves the house and pretends she was never there. This was Lake’s biggest mistake. The killer has targeted Lake. I
This book had an interesting plot - single, newly divorced mom (Lake) sleeps with a sexy colleague only to find him murdered. At first, I really liked Lake, however, as the book went on everything she did got on my nerves. Apparently everyone except a select few are not to be trusted, including the police since she couldn't go to them with anything. She used her custody case with her ex as an excuse and was constantly making up lies to cover her actions and other lies she told. The writing style ...more
Amber
Hush is a page-turner; impossible to put down at times. A murder mystery filled with untrustworthy characters, each giving rise to suspicion that they could be the suspect in the case. Wrapped within this murder mystery is also a potentially unethical Fertility Treatment Center and a divorce on the verge of becoming ugly.

Although I found myself unable to put the book down, I felt gypped by it's ending. For the mess that it creates of the life of it's main character, Lake, the ending for me seeme
Jess
I gave this one 2.5 stars.

I read this for a book club, the description sounded really intriguing. But I don't know what happened. Everything just felt flat. The mystery aspect was really not that interesting, and I found myself caring more about the mystery of Jack and his strange behavior. I was sort of apathetic towards the main character Lake, I didn't really have any positive or negatives thoughts about her. She was just there.

I'm really disappointed.
Natalia Sulca
I don't know what to say about this book. First off, great plot! I mean wonderful! I just don't think it was taken to the level of fantasticness that it could've been taken to. I'm not sure i liked the ending! The truth never came out, and while the killer was surprising, she ends up dying! How untwisty! The good thing is that I didn't figure out the twists. I never once suspected. lastly, I felt that the ending was rushed. I'll give this author another try, though.
Barb
Lake Warren is a public relations specialist hired by a fertility clinic. Over time she discovers some shady stuff going on at the clinic. But the question is "is it related to the murder of Dr. Keaton?" This is a fast paced thriller that is hard to put down. It is cohesive and tight with lots of twists and turns. And just when you think you know who did it --- something new happens and maybe it could be...... A well written, enjoyable book.
Barb
Can't remember who recommended this book to me, but when I do, I'm going to beat the crap out of them. I read this in ONE day and did not guess the killer before the revelation. My favorite part of the whole thing (don't go further here if you plan to read it) is that the lie worked and what really happened never came out and I was GLAD!!
Cici1114
Just so you don't think I only post 4 and 5 star reviews. This one barely ekes out 2 stars! A ridiculous plot, too many characters to keep track of, and a protagonist who is unethical and unlikeable make this a poor choice. It calls itself suspense...the only suspenseful part to me is: Who's reading this?
Trish
I would probably give this book 2.5 stars. The story was decent but the abundance of characters made it hard for me to keep them all straight in my head. I was surprised by the ending, but by that point I was really just reading to get it over. Not a real page turner in my opinion.
Kerry
This book sounded really good according to the synopsis but it really fell flat. Lake Warren was in the process of a custody battle. She finds herself waking up next to a Dr., from the Fertility Clinic where she is consulting at, who has been murdered. She decides not to go to the police because of her custody concerns. She begins to investigate on her own what happened to the doctor, and might have wanted him dead. Despite Lake, coming across people following her, shaving her cat, and chasing h ...more
Crystal
In classic Kate White fashion, this book keeps you guessing until the end. If you love a good "who done it", this is a great one!
Faith Anderson
I gave this 4, its really more like a 3.5 stars, which is unusual for me with this type of Mystery/law and order genre book. Usually I find these kinds of stories engaging but the twists and turns are very clear to see. This was not the case with this novel. There was a lot going on and many suspicious suspects, and the final person was definitely a surprise. The only reason I didn't give it 4 stars is because some of the writting was hit or miss, the same descriptions being used over and over, ...more
Andrea Corley
For a more in depth review, please visit my blog, Chorley Chronicals, HERE!!

I just stumbled upon Hush by Kate White while browsing my online library, and I am certainly pleased that I did! I would more so give this book a 3.5 rating, rather than a solid 4, but since I can't give half stars, the book wasn't so horrible that I couldn't give it the higher star. The only reason I would rate it the 3.5 was that some of the things that the main character Lake did, just absolutely drove me batty, leav
Jackie Lane
Lisa
HUSH is the latest from best selling author and Editor in Chief of Cosmo magazine, Kate White. Though she has written several successful books in her Bailey Weggins Series, this is her first stand alone novel and the only one I've read. But I can assure you it won't be the last.

I hadn't read a murder mystery in awhile so I was looking forward to cracking this one open. One thing I liked about this book right off the bat was that it jumped right into the story from page one. I didn't have to wai
Joemmama
Lake Warren is in the middle of a terrible custody battle with her ex. On her first outing with a charismatic fertility doctor (while her kids are away at camp), the date ends with is murder, and Lake is a wreck. She was in the apartment with the killer but she saw no one.

Would you remain silent? I think I might.

The fertility clinic, where Lake is working as a consultant, is a hotbed of gossip and speculation.

The police keep questioning her as she scrambles to solve the murder, and clear herself
Jacki
Rarely have I read such a contrived, poorly written book. There is not one decision that the main character (whose name is Lake. Huh?) makes that a person with a functioning brain would make.

Discover a dude you work with and just had a one night stand with dead in an enormous puddle of blood? Just go on about your day. In fact, head up to a remote cabin all by yourself. Perfect. In fact, just start snooping around with no regard to patient privacy laws. When you are personally threatened and yo
Laurel-Rain
When you think the worst has happened, how will you cope with something even more malevolent? These are questions for our heroine Lake Warren. Finding out that her estranged husband Jack is suing for custody of their children seemingly pales when, after a one-night stand with a colleague, Lake finds him murdered in the bed. And from there, things turn even more deadly.

She knows that her presence at the victim's apartment will arouse suspicion, so she doesn't turn to the police...Her custody case
  • The Replacement Child (Gil Montoya Mystery #1)
  • Dante's Numbers (Nic Costa, #7)
  • The Frightened Man (Denton, #1)
  • A Brush with Death (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #2)
  • 2 in the Hat
  • The Bone Chamber
  • A Curtain Falls (Simon Ziele, #2)
  • Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • Super
  • The Frailty of Flesh
  • The Murderers' Club (Sophie Anderson, #2)
  • Previously Loved Treasures (Serendipity #2)
  • Countdown: The Liberators
  • You Can Run...
  • The Night Watchman (Ray Quinn #1)
  • A Thousand Suns
  • All The Pretty Dead Girls
  • Bamboo and Blood (Inspector O, #3)
Kate White is the New York Times bestselling author of nine works of fiction—six Bailey Weggins mysteries and three suspense novels, including her latest, EYES ON YOU. For fourteen years she was the editor in chief of Cosmopolitan magazine, and though she loved the job (and the Cosmo beauty closet!), she decided to leave in late 2013 to concentrate full time on being an author.

Her books have recei
More about Kate White...
If Looks Could Kill (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #1) The Sixes A Body to Die For (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #2) 'Til Death Do Us Part (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #3) Over Her Dead Body (Bailey Weggins Mystery #4)

“Guys rarely behave logically when it comes to women.” 0 likes