Start by marking “Mahu Surfer (Mahu #2)” as Want to Read:
Mahu Surfer (Mahu #2)

Mahu Surfer (Mahu #2)

"An eminently likeable hero—the kind of man’s man you just want to hug." —Daniel M. Jaffe, author of The Limits of Pleasure

Mahu is a generally negative Hawaiian term for homosexual, and for police detective Kimo Kanapa’aka, being gay doesn’t make for an easy life. Especially when you’re publicly outed. Now, semi-retired, Kimo must go undercover and stop a brutal killer. Al
Published August 1st 2007 by Alyson Books

To ask other readers questions about Mahu Surfer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mahu Surfer

Rosa, really

"I ended up at the top of Mount Tantalus, overlooking Honolulu....I looked out at the city for a while, saw the line of surf where waves broke against the shore, planeloads of tourists landing and taking off from Honolulu International, the steady traffic of tiny cars along the ribbon of the H1, the highway the federal government requires us to call an interstate. I guess subconsciously I’d hoped that coming up there would allow me to put all my troubles into perspective, see myself as just one
Sofia
May 29, 2014 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Once again I’ve immersed myself in the quiet easy flow of Plakcy’s writing. Kimo is getting more comfortable with the decision he took in the first book and he is fast becoming a guy I would want to hang out with. I especially enjoy the camaderie with his friends and family. I am coming to discover him bit by bit as he finds himself. Again Plakcy interweaves the story with Kimo so effortlessly, that it makes you wonder why other writers have such difficulty doing so.

This second book explores fur
Alan
Nov 13, 2008 Alan rated it liked it
Kimo Kanapa’aka is a detective working on the island of Oahu in Hawaii and has recently been outed on television by his brother, who works for the local station. The Honolulu police chief decides to use Kimo’s outing as an opportunity to send Kimo undercover to investigate the surfers, and three murders on the north shore near Pipeline. Kimo is the perfect candidate since he was a competitive surfer before joining the force. The fact that he’s been outed so publicly provides the chief an opportu ...more
Ami
Into the second book of Mahu series and I still find myself struggling to get some sort of emotional liking to Kimo. I don't know what is it in this book that makes Kimo feels "distant" and it's a bit difficult for me to pay attention to his 1st voice narration. It's definitely not because I don't like Neil Plakcy's writing, considering I love his "Have Body, Will Guard" series. Maybe I haven't just warmed up to Kimo just yet.

However, the investigation in the second book is more interesting than
Rusalka
Mar 08, 2015 Rusalka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rusalka by: Will
We rejoin Kimo as he is moving to a new office since the last book and being reinstated as a police officer. Yet his boss would like him to keep this secret and go undercover into the northern surfing towns to help solve the murders of a couple of surfers. As an ex-semi-professional surfer, Kimo is the best fit, but after coming out and airing all his secrets in the last book, lying to family and friends is not high on his priority list.

Reality and a sense of duty convince him to do it however,
Nikki
I read this book, not because of the gay theme, but because I am reading a mystery set in every state in the Union, by an author whose work I haven’t read before. I got to Hawaii and, because I’d read some of his posts on an online mystery discussion group, decided to try one of Neil Plakcy’s MAHU series. (Mahu is a, not necessarily complimentary, Hawaiian term for homosexual).

When the book opens, the protagonist, Detective Kimo Kanapa'aka, is reporting for duty at his new assignment within the
FicusFan
LVLMLeah
Sep 10, 2009 LVLMLeah rated it really liked it
This is a well written mystery set in Hawaii. The main character, a cop who has recently come out as gay, is sent to do an undercover job on the North Shore of Oahu to find out who's killing surfers.

Neil Plakcy has created an interesting character in Kimo, a man who is still struggling with being out there as gay and finding his way in the gay world, while at the same time, dealing with hostilities in the force due to his coming out.

The mystery part of this book is very well done and keeps a go
K
Feb 16, 2014 K rated it it was amazing
This is the second book about Hawaiian police detective, Kimo Kanapa'aka and follows closely on the heels of the first book. Having had his suspension overturned Kimo joins a new department, or rather, to his friends and family he doesn't. Whilst they think that he has headed to another part of island to surf and think about his future in fact he's working undercover to discover more about the recent murders of three surfers.

This is much more a crime/police procedural story with a gay protagonis
Rachael
Oct 08, 2008 Rachael rated it liked it
Solid effort, decent product. The mystery is well-constructed, and if it did not exactly leave me breathless, I was at least entertained. The Hawaiian setting is interesting and unique enough that there was a real sense of place and culture. Kimo, our main character, feels and sounds fairly realistic, if a little idealistic. Unfortunately, I think that my biggest problem with this book isn't really the book, but the fact that I read it after I read the third book, so it was more like backstory. ...more
Rob
Jul 26, 2008 Rob rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-fiction
I liked the protagonist. He's a Honolulu police detective who recently came out as a gay man. Kimo is the kind of guy you'd like to have as a friend. This is a surfer adventure where he's working under cover. On as side note, if you go to the author's website, he'll send you an autographed book plate.
John
Nov 12, 2007 John rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
The Hawaiian setting and details of the series are quite well done, but I can't say that after two books I'm particularly "engaged" with Kimo as a protagonist. I'm willing to read a third Mahu book, hoping he'll put the past behind him and move on.
Lori S.
Apr 01, 2015 Lori S. rated it really liked it
I like the way Kimo is developing. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Mackenzie
Nov 19, 2010 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
The second book in the Mahu series is infinitely much more to my liking than its predecessor. The story takes place very shortly after the events of the first book (so this is a direct sequel). Kimo gets a second chance at proving himself, despite being outed, and he now goes undercover to solve the mystery of three murdered surfers in the north shore. This time around, virtually without help from anyone one familiar, he tries to solve this puzzling case. That's all I can say about the story, ot ...more
Kyle
Nov 20, 2012 Kyle rated it really liked it
This is the second in Neil Plakcy's Mahu series. It's a little bit easier to get into, especially after reading the first one, because Plakcy doesn't spend as much time explaining everything (or if he does, I'm used to it and have zoned it out).

In terms of a character study, I enjoyed this book more than the first - it was more of a chance to get to know Kimo without him agonizing over his sexuality too much. Some of the melodrama seemed a little forced - he's seriously a celebrity who's going t
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
TW: mention of past rape/sexual assault, mention of drug use (off page characters and briefly of a minor character)

I thought I was going to have to open this with a rant about Kimo's unprofessional professionalism and threaten to not read anymore books until he learned to (view spoiler) but then thankfully, he was called to the mat for it. In fact, everything that was starting to worry me was eventually addressed
Carol
Feb 05, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, police, m-m
This is the second book of the Mahu series. Kimo had a traumatic time in the first book, being public outed, suspended from the police force and he now find himself at a professional cross-roads. He is given the opportunity to go to the North Shore, undercover to investigate a number of murders. Kimo was torn between accepting the role and being able to ease back into police work and the fact that he would, once again have to lie to his family. Kimo's background in surfing made him a natural cho ...more
Jimmy
Dec 28, 2016 Jimmy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Greg Herren and Rob Rosen
Now that Kimo’s story is established, I loved this book so much more than the first one. It is more dangerous and more fun than what Mahu was, and we get more details of his history/past too. Kimo also seems to be a better/stronger character for coming out, but still he struggles with intimate relationships with men. He is still growing, and that is what makes him such an attractive person.
There is a sniper taking out surfers on the North Shore, and Kimo is asked to lie to the force and to his f
Jimmy
Feb 27, 2016 Jimmy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Greg Herren and Rob Rosen
Marissa Culp
Dec 28, 2011 Marissa Culp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, gay, erotic
In the second installment of the Mahu series, Honolulu Police Detective Kimo Kanapa'aka is sent to the North Shore to uncover the mystery of three surfers who have been shot. It's not so much that he's a great detective - it's because he's gay and his coming out made him big news in Honolulu (thanks to his brother's television station) and now most of the police force doesn't want to work with him. Besides, he can surf and so he'll fit in with the people there.

Kimo is in fine form here - investi
Violetta Vane
I really enjoyed this follow-up to Mahu and found it fun and highly readable. As a gay man's coming out story, it's awesome. As a mystery, however, it's flawed. The investigation relied on the same (view spoiler) trope that was so fishy in the first book.

The characters—even the dead ones that we never meet, whose lives Kimo reconstructs—are mostly an engaging and unique bunch, and I can forgive a lot in a mystery that has this kind of three-dimensi
Lady*M

I liked the first book very much that it isn't really a surprise that Mahu Surfer couldn't quite live up to that. The mystery was decent, but the case itself isolated Kimo from his family and friends (although they do appear in the book) and that somehow cost him part of his charm. Also, while he started coming to terms with being a gay man, he didn't get a chance to confront the fact that he is a gay cop which I expected, though we get some hints how that will work out. Still, I couldn
Jordan Lombard
Sep 05, 2014 Jordan Lombard rated it it was amazing
This series deserves ten stars. Seriously. I was out sick the other day and wondering what I should do for the day while I stayed home in bed. I picked up this book, remembering how much I'd loved the first, and dove into it. If I'd started it earlier in the day, I might have finished it before nightfall. I fell into it and couldn't, for the life of me, pull myself back out. Neil makes you feel like you're right there with Kimo surfing the waves, meeting guys, and solving the murders. I forgot a ...more
Suze
Nov 29, 2014 Suze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the first book, this story just drags you in.
Starting straight after the end of Mahu, Kimo has to make a key decision about continuing his police career. Not so much about his family and friends from Mahu this time, though they do make appearances.
Kimo is living at North Shore, surfing and digging around 3 murders, meeting old friends, making new friends, finding new lovers - and loosing them.
A big web of intrigue, with lots of red herrings and a good ending as far as the whodunnit. The ac
Cassie Richards
Sep 10, 2013 Cassie Richards rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Mahu series and this time Detective Kimo is working undercover trying to find the killer of 3 local surfers. Whilst this isn't a romance there is sex, but that's more an angle to the main story, rather than the point of the book.

The mystery aspect is the main focus of the story and is really well done. At one point there seemed to be so many things going on, that I couldn't work out how it could all be resolved. It was all tied up neatly by the end of the book thou
A.J. Llewellyn
Jan 29, 2011 A.J. Llewellyn rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
I still like Kimo but found the mystery to be well...not such a mystery. Also not sure why his move to the other side of the island seems like he's moving to the North Pole...it's a half hour drive! I long for more "Hawaiian" flavor to these stories set there. The author has publicly stated he bases his Hawaii on Mimai, where he lives, and that feels more the case than this being set in the islands.
SA
Oct 10, 2011 SA rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I continue to be impressed with how Pakcy privileges the mystery genre over the erotica he could easily insert into the pages; and how deep and emotionally intelligent these books are. The whole series is a real gem; I'm so pleased I finally read them.
Neet
Sep 25, 2011 Neet rated it it was amazing
A continuation of the Mahu series, (second book) Kimo confronts his past and is able to discover his future. I love this book, Kimo's growing sexuality, and learning that there is more to being a gay man then sex.
LDL
Sep 27, 2013 LDL rated it really liked it
maybe a 3.5. 1st person. Story is told in a methodically paced way reflective of the character. There were a couple of moments that were unnecessarily repeated as though the reader may have forgotten that I found mildly annoying.
Jen
Now this one is more of a mystery than a police procedural and boy what a mystery it is! Major compliments to the author for the work on this one.

Also not a romance but includes the main character's sex life.
  • Spin Out (Deputy Joe, #2)
  • Death by Misfortune (Bill Turner, #2)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • Troublemaker (Dave Brandstetter, #3)
  • Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1)
  • Little Boy Dead (Boystown #0.5)
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • The Geography Of Murder (Geography of Murder, #1)
  • This Rough Magic (A Shot in the Dark, #1)
  • Foxe Tail (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #1)
Neil Plakcy is the author of the Mahu Investigations, mysteries which take place in Hawaii. They are: Mahu, Mahu Surfer, Mahu Fire, Mahu Vice, Mahu Blood, Mahu Men, Zero Break, Natural Predators and Children of Noah.

His M/M romance novels are GayLife.com, Mi Amor, Love on Site, Love on the Web, Love on Stage, Love on the Pitch, and the Have Body, Will Guard series: Three Wrong Turns in the Desert,
More about Neil S. Plakcy...

Mahu (10 books)
  • Mahu (Mahu #1)
  • Mahu Fire: A Hawai'ian Mystery (Mahu #3)
  • Mahu Vice (Mahu, #4)
  • Mahu Blood (Mahu, #5)
  • Zero Break (Mahu, #6)
  • Natural Predators (Mahu, #7)
  • Accidental Contact and Other Mahu Investigations (Mahu, #8)
  • Children of Noah (Mahu #9)
  • Ghost Ship (Mahu, #10)