Start by marking “Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)” as Want to Read:
Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)

Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville #7)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,055 Ratings  ·  401 Reviews
Talk radio host and celebrity werewolf Kitty Norville has agreed to appear on TV's first all-supernatural reality show. What she's expecting is cheesy competitions and manufactured drama starring shapeshifters, vampires, and psychics. But what begins as a publicity stunt is all too quickly turning into a fight for her life.

Kitty and her fellow housemates arrive at the remo
Published February 1st 2010 by Gollancz (first published December 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Kitty's House of Horrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitty's House of Horrors

Ithlilian
Jan 12, 2011 Ithlilian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I hate to say this, but Kitty's House of Horrors is a bunch of fluff shoved into a fuzzy teddy bear, wrapped in more fluff. In other words, there is absolutely no depth here. I understand that urban fantasy is not the most compelling and deep genre in existence, but I expect more than this. I love urban fantasy for the grit, realism, and character development. The Kitty series has become cheesy and silly. Kitty "tells it like it is" supposedly on her talk show, she is supposed to be a no nonsens ...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Let me start off by saying I really liked this Kitty installment. Kitty's House of Horrors, book 7 in Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series, kicks off with our heroine getting an invitation to appear on a reality show featuring well-known members of the supernatural community. About a dozen participants are shipped off to an unknown location to be filmed together for two weeks. We see a lot of familiar faces: Tina the psychic from Kitty Raises Hell ; Grant the magician from Kitty and the Dead ...more
Jim
Another fun romp. These books are all quick reads that are pure entertainment, nothing to think about. It was kind of fun, definitely engaging, & full of suspense. Vaughn does a great job with what she has, though. It's the perfect escape from a day fighting with computers & idiot users. I'm going to read the next, Kitty Goes to War!
☣Lynn☣
Holy cow was that dark! I think this may be my second favorite book in the series. I mean, almost everyone dies, but it still was so good.

Sadly i'm going to put these down until the last book comes out later in the year. I read half now and I'll read the next half starting the first week in August. I cannot wait! I'm so fucking happy I found an UF series to be obsessed with.
Chris
Kitty meets Ten Little Indians. (Okay, not really, but it is quite close).

Do you want to read an Anita Blake smack down? Read the early part of chapter two. At least another UF author is willing to make fun of Blake.

Vaughn’s Kitty novels aren’t particularly deep. Her novels are short, quick reads. Fun reads that don’t take very long to finish, like a B movie that knows it is a B movie and embraces it, like Snakes on a Plane.

In this installment, Kitty meets a reality show that bites back, and out
Sandi
Jul 28, 2010 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2010
I really like the direction Carrie Vaughn is taking the Kitty Norville series. She does a really good job of tapping into pop culture and dragging it into her novels. In Kitty's House of Horrors, she uses the phenomenon of reality TV shows that throw celebrities together to live in a house for a few weeks. Things start off pretty well when Kitty and a dozen other members of the paranormal community begin their stint on reality TV. However, things go south quickly and people die. It's a well-done ...more
Debbie
Jan 08, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hesitant to read this book because I felt like I was getting Kitty-ied out but I'm glad I did. I don't know if it's because there wasn't much Ben or if the story line just really grabbed me this time but I didn't want to stop reading. Not only was Kitty participating in this reality show but we also saw some of my favorite characters back like Odysseus Grant, Jeffrey-the TV psychic, Ariel-Kitty's fellow radio personality and Tina the paranormal investigator who has her own psychic talents. ...more
Natasha
Dec 28, 2009 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitty's House of Horrors is the seventh installment in the Kitty Norville Series by Carrie Vaughn.The Kitty Norville series is one of my favorite werewolf series so far and each book seems to top the next. Saying that Kitty's House of Horrors did NOT disappoint. Actually, I think it's my favorite book in the series yet. I knew I was going to like it, but I wasn't sure what to expect with the reality show theme to it. But it wasn't no ordinary reality show Kitty was involved in. The cast of the s ...more
Liviania
Jun 12, 2012 Liviania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once upon a time, when the dinosaurs (and my parents) roamed the earth, series weren't popular. Every once in awhile you'd get a trilogy, like The Lord of the Rings, but most titles were standalone. Now that everybody and their dog write series, certain qualities make authors stand out from the pack. I like Carrie Vaughn because she does things that I don't expect. But what I really respect her for after finishing KITTY'S HOUSE OF HORRORS is her pacing.

The fifth and sixth books of the series (KI
Darcy
Oct 11, 2014 Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was classic Kitty, she manages to get herself in a goofy situation and then has to figure a way out. I loved the idea of a reality show with all supernatural characters, and what I liked even more was a lot of these characters were ones from previous books that now we got to know more in depth.

The first part where they are all settling in for the show was funny because I could totally see Kitty bopping around the cabin talking to everyone as her curiosity gets the better of her. It see
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
This book was a return to form after the last two not-so-great books. The action and tension were amazing. It was like watching the movie Scream for the first time - you didn't know who was going to live and who was going to die a horrible death. There was panic, nobleness, cowardice, heroism and sacrifice. Love, hate, life and death. The isolation was lonely, the horror terrifying.

I felt the first death as much as Kitty, it was shocking and saddening. We were just getting to like his character.
mlady_rebecca
When I first looked at the blurb for this one, I cringed. I hate reality shows, especially "Survivor" style reality shows. But this turned out to be much more engagingly that I was expecting. It helped that we got to see the return of a lot of magic/paranormal individuals Kitty has acquainted herself with over the last 6 books.

The "show" itself was a bunch of magical or paranormal individuals trying to convince the consummate skeptic that this is all real. The twist being the producers are gun c
Jess
Feb 03, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2010
Do you hear that? That's my giant sigh of relief! This book has restored my faith in the Kitty Norville series. The past two books were rather atrocious, and this one thankfully, has returned the reader to the times when Kitty was bad ass and the plots made sense.

This was sort of reminiscent of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, of course this one had supernatural creatures and a mouthy radio DJ. I was a little sad that Cormac still had no real appearance, but I'm still hopeful to see h
Kasia
Ladies and gentlemen, Carrie Vaughn is back. I must admit I was a bit weary of this book, the last two installments were mediocre at best (if you intend to read the series I advise you skip books 5 & 6), the plot hectic. But Kitty's House of Horrors is nothing like that. There's tension, the pacing is perfect, the dialogues snappy. The premise is simple and something that's been done before, but that's not necessarily a wrong thing. Vaughn takes the standard horror movie formula and works it ...more
Kathy Davie
Nov 21, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy, urban
Seventh in the Kitty Norville urban fantasy series about a radio talkshow host and werewolf in Denver. This particular story takes place in Montana.

My Take
You know the reality show is gonna have a glitch, but it's oh, so much more than I would have expected! It'll make you cry. Especially with all the set-up for this reality show and the games the producers play, the hoops they want the participants to jump through. The ugly truth of why.

All the paranoia at the beginning was rather annoying, alt
Spuddie
This review refers to the audio version.

#7 Kitty Norville series, featuring werewolf Kitty who hosts a late-night talk show called The Midnight Hour. Kitty is approached by the producers of a bunch of cheesy reality shows who invite her to join the cast of a new reality show featuring all "Supernatural" guests--lycanthropes, vampires, psychics, magicians and other odd types. Kitty balks until they mention some folks she's met previously and liked who are already on board.

The cast of the show wi
Melissa
Aug 03, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd have to say this was one of my favorite Kitty novels. In this one we find ourselves with Kitty on a mountain retreat filming a reality tv show. A host of paranormal advocates and creatures gather to convince on hardened sceptic that they exist. However, we know Kitty so it doesn't surprise any of us that this is more than it seems.

It's a story that reminds me of The Most Dangerous Game in where humans were considered the ultimate prey. Now consider humans with supernatural abilities all gath
julia
Jan 15, 2010 julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie Vaughn doesn't disappoint. The latest installment of the Kitty Norville series has our plucky werewolf/late-night DJ on a reality show for monsters. It's fast paced, funny, and scarey all at the same time. It was a bit shocking in that characters we've seen before ended up dead--I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting all the new characters, or at least most of them, to end up dead, with our favorites from prior books surviving. I will be looking forward to the next book in the series. L ...more
 ♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥
Welcome to Real World Montana..were people start getting hunted and killed.

This is the 7th book in the Kitty Norville series. Kitty is asked to do a show with other paranormal houseguest. Friends from the other 6 books join Kitty with new characters for an experience they will never forget.

I really enjoyed this book. The two before this book were borning, but this brought the fast pace craziness I love in the Kitty series. I was sad to see some of the former and new characters killed. I really
Mar 25, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Probably one of the darkest Kitty books to date. Kitty thinks she is going to participate in a reality tv show stunt, only to find herself trapped in a mountain resort with other well-know members of the supernatural community -- and someone is trying to kill them.

I have been impressed with how consistent the quality of the writing in the series has been, even as the author manages to introduce new characters and a significant amount of character development. The Kitty series still remains a go
Judithe
Monsters come in all forms, and those that where a "non-monster" form are often the worst.

Kitty somewhat reluctantly agrees to do a reality show that reunites her (and us) with some of the interesting characters from previous installments of her tale. Vaughn provides foreshadowing of the battle to come, and keeps the pace flowing and tension building until the finale. That finale will also make you eager to grab the next story in the series.

The characters are solid, and Kitty has her usual charm
Bridget
Jan 24, 2010 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitty isn't your average radio host, she's a werewolf. She's about to appear on the very first supernatural reality show. She thinks it's going to be easy as pie and somewhat scripted. Her and the other contestants arrive at a lodge and soon it becomes clear that the reality show may be a cover for something heinous. Kitty had no idea that she had signed up for something that might end in her death.

Kitty is my hero. She's such a kick-ass character and I never tire of her fighting ability. I look
Sandra
I enjoyed this Big Brother House of Life & Death. With a name like House of Horrors, we all knew it was going to be a set-up and even so it was well done.

Sadly, some of the good guys died just as we were getting to know them, others were injured and of course, the bad guys bought it. Plenty of action to keep everyone happy.

In the background but just as important is the talk of a coming war. And Kitty picks up some useful allies along the way.

A big plus for the next book is Cormac :D
Melinda
Apr 17, 2014 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off this series not really liking the protagonist (Kitty). But, as the series continued, she really began to grow on me... kind of like a fungus without the ick factor. I actually really enjoyed this one and I have to admit Ms. Vaugh did her job. I started reading the series with a solid meh, and became more interested and invested in Kitty and those around her as the stories continued. I will deffinitely be reading the next one.
Jess
Dec 29, 2009 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved. It. I don't even know how to review it, other than to say it was super fast paced, had lots of gore and guts (it was weirdly fun to think not one person was safe, who's next?!), it had sweet Kitty and Ben moments - my FAVORITE parts and would have loved to have had more, but even little bits with them are sweet and perfect and the ending with her "pack" was when I finally took a breath. As usual, can't wait for the next book!
Carolyn F.
Listening to audiobook. I also have the paperback.

Kitty goes on a reality show and find out there's a whole different show than she thought in mind. Super sad book, I kept going "NO!!" That's one thing about these books, they don't have HEA (happy ever afters) or if they do, they're just barely. That's one thing that I don't require in my books so I can enjoy them either way. I love this series.
Chris
Nov 23, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun read from Carrie Vaughn. This one could be the best of the series so far. The fantastic reality television idea is what drew me to Carrie's writing in the first place, with her work on the Wild Cards series.

It might have even helped Kitty and company out there in Montana if they'd have had Curveball on their team.
Berls (Fantasy is More Fun)
This review appeared first at Fantasy is More Fun.

Wowza! This book couldn't be more appropriately named. Horrors is right (not in the scary reading sense, but the devastating one). Geez, that was a rough ride, in all the best ways.

With Kitty's House of Horrors Carrie Vaughn went places I didn't think she would go - I was pretty shocked and now I know that moving forward in the series she's not going to pull punches. Kinda makes me nervous because I may just get my heart ripped out and stomped
Enjee
Mar 27, 2011 Enjee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kitty books are always quick reads. This one had appearances by several characters we met in previous books, all for a supernatural get-away. It turns into something else. At the end, Cormac's situation changes just in time for the next book...which I will read.
Tinika
Feb 03, 2015 Tinika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the Kitty Norville series because Carrie Vaughn puts plot ahead of romance, she is interested in character development rather than stock stereotypes, her dialogue is more than just witty bantering, and she does things I don’t expect. Kitty’s House of Horrors is one of the series’ best.

Along with psychics, vampires and other shape-shifters, Kitty agrees to appear on a “reality” TV show shot on location at a remote wilderness cabin. Unfortunately, the show becomes all too real as Ms. Vaugh
Madison Mega-Mara...: Kitty's House of Horrors 1 3 Feb 06, 2012 03:38PM
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3)
  • Daemon's Mark (Nocturne City, #5)
  • Crossroads (Anna Strong Chronicles, #7)
  • Shift (Shifters, #5)
  • Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, #4)
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Harvest Hunting (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #8)
  • A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, #3)
  • Bound to Shadows (Riley Jenson Guardian #8)
  • Hunter's Prayer (Jill Kismet, #2)
  • On the Prowl (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #2)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Night Season (World of the Lupi, #4)
  • ReVamped (Void City, #2)
  • Tempest's Legacy (Jane True, #3)
  • As Lie the Dead (Dreg City, #2)
Vaughn was born into a military family and has lived all over the U.S. She received a BA from Occidental College, after which she went on to work too many jobs to count until she went back to school to receive her MA from University of Colorado at Boulder. She currently lives in Boulder, CO.
More about Carrie Vaughn...

Kitty Norville (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Conquistador de la Noche (Kitty Norville, #0.0)
  • Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)
  • Kitty’s Zombie New Year
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3)
  • Kitty Meets the Band
  • Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville, #4)
  • Kitty Learns the Ropes (Kitty Norville 6.5)
  • The Arcane Art of Misdirection (Kitty Norville series #4.6)
  • Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville, #5)

“cope or go crazy” 20 likes
“A lot of what we're doing here deals with perception rather than truth. Many would argue that reality depends more on the former than the latter.” 12 likes