Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)

Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville #7)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  7,749 ratings  ·  340 reviews
Talk radio host and celebrity werewolf Kitty Norville has agreed to appear on TV's first all-supernatural reality show. What she's expecting is cheesy competitions and manufactured drama starring shapeshifters, vampires, and psychics. But what begins as a publicity stunt is all too quickly turning into a fight for her life.

Kitty and her fellow housemates arrive at the remo...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Gollancz (first published December 22nd 2009)

Ithlilian
I hate to say this, but Kitty's House of Horrors is a bunch of fluff shoved into a fuzzy teddy bear, wrapped in more fluff. In other words, there is absolutely no depth here. I understand that urban fantasy is not the most compelling and deep genre in existence, but I expect more than this. I love urban fantasy for the grit, realism, and character development. The Kitty series has become cheesy and silly. Kitty "tells it like it is" supposedly on her talk show, she is supposed to be a no nonsens...more
Jim
Another fun romp. These books are all quick reads that are pure entertainment, nothing to think about. It was kind of fun, definitely engaging, & full of suspense. Vaughn does a great job with what she has, though. It's the perfect escape from a day fighting with computers & idiot users. I'm going to read the next, Kitty Goes to War!
Chris
Kitty meets Ten Little Indians. (Okay, not really, but it is quite close).

Do you want to read an Anita Blake smack down? Read the early part of chapter two. At least another UF author is willing to make fun of Blake.

Vaughn’s Kitty novels aren’t particularly deep. Her novels are short, quick reads. Fun reads that don’t take very long to finish, like a B movie that knows it is a B movie and embraces it, like Snakes on a Plane.

In this installment, Kitty meets a reality show that bites back, and out...more
Sandi
I really like the direction Carrie Vaughn is taking the Kitty Norville series. She does a really good job of tapping into pop culture and dragging it into her novels. In Kitty's House of Horrors, she uses the phenomenon of reality TV shows that throw celebrities together to live in a house for a few weeks. Things start off pretty well when Kitty and a dozen other members of the paranormal community begin their stint on reality TV. However, things go south quickly and people die. It's a well-done...more
Debbie
I was hesitant to read this book because I felt like I was getting Kitty-ied out but I'm glad I did. I don't know if it's because there wasn't much Ben or if the story line just really grabbed me this time but I didn't want to stop reading. Not only was Kitty participating in this reality show but we also saw some of my favorite characters back like Odysseus Grant, Jeffrey-the TV psychic, Ariel-Kitty's fellow radio personality and Tina the paranormal investigator who has her own psychic talents....more
Natasha
Kitty's House of Horrors is the seventh installment in the Kitty Norville Series by Carrie Vaughn.The Kitty Norville series is one of my favorite werewolf series so far and each book seems to top the next. Saying that Kitty's House of Horrors did NOT disappoint. Actually, I think it's my favorite book in the series yet. I knew I was going to like it, but I wasn't sure what to expect with the reality show theme to it. But it wasn't no ordinary reality show Kitty was involved in. The cast of the s...more
Darcy
This book was classic Kitty, she manages to get herself in a goofy situation and then has to figure a way out. I loved the idea of a reality show with all supernatural characters, and what I liked even more was a lot of these characters were ones from previous books that now we got to know more in depth.

The first part where they are all settling in for the show was funny because I could totally see Kitty bopping around the cabin talking to everyone as her curiosity gets the better of her. It see...more
mlady_rebecca
When I first looked at the blurb for this one, I cringed. I hate reality shows, especially "Survivor" style reality shows. But this turned out to be much more engagingly that I was expecting. It helped that we got to see the return of a lot of magic/paranormal individuals Kitty has acquainted herself with over the last 6 books.

The "show" itself was a bunch of magical or paranormal individuals trying to convince the consummate skeptic that this is all real. The twist being the producers are gun c...more
Jess
Do you hear that? That's my giant sigh of relief! This book has restored my faith in the Kitty Norville series. The past two books were rather atrocious, and this one thankfully, has returned the reader to the times when Kitty was bad ass and the plots made sense.

This was sort of reminiscent of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, of course this one had supernatural creatures and a mouthy radio DJ. I was a little sad that Cormac still had no real appearance, but I'm still hopeful to see h...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Let me start off by saying I really liked this Kitty installment. Kitty's House of Horrors, book 7 in Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series, kicks off with our heroine getting an invitation to appear on a reality show featuring well-known members of the supernatural community. About a dozen participants are shipped off to an unknown location to be filmed together for two weeks. We see a lot of familiar faces: Tina the psychic from Kitty Raises Hell ; Grant the magician from Kitty and the Dead M...more
Kasia
Ladies and gentlemen, Carrie Vaughn is back. I must admit I was a bit weary of this book, the last two installments were mediocre at best (if you intend to read the series I advise you skip books 5 & 6), the plot hectic. But Kitty's House of Horrors is nothing like that. There's tension, the pacing is perfect, the dialogues snappy. The premise is simple and something that's been done before, but that's not necessarily a wrong thing. Vaughn takes the standard horror movie formula and works it...more
Liviania
Once upon a time, when the dinosaurs (and my parents) roamed the earth, series weren't popular. Every once in awhile you'd get a trilogy, like The Lord of the Rings, but most titles were standalone. Now that everybody and their dog write series, certain qualities make authors stand out from the pack. I like Carrie Vaughn because she does things that I don't expect. But what I really respect her for after finishing KITTY'S HOUSE OF HORRORS is her pacing.

The fifth and sixth books of the series (KI...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
This book was a return to form after the last two not-so-great books. The action and tension were amazing. It was like watching the movie Scream for the first time - you didn't know who was going to live and who was going to die a horrible death. There was panic, nobleness, cowardice, heroism and sacrifice. Love, hate, life and death. The isolation was lonely, the horror terrifying.

I felt the first death as much as Kitty, it was shocking and saddening. We were just getting to like his character....more
Spuddie
This review refers to the audio version.

#7 Kitty Norville series, featuring werewolf Kitty who hosts a late-night talk show called The Midnight Hour. Kitty is approached by the producers of a bunch of cheesy reality shows who invite her to join the cast of a new reality show featuring all "Supernatural" guests--lycanthropes, vampires, psychics, magicians and other odd types. Kitty balks until they mention some folks she's met previously and liked who are already on board.

The cast of the show wi...more
Melissa
I'd have to say this was one of my favorite Kitty novels. In this one we find ourselves with Kitty on a mountain retreat filming a reality tv show. A host of paranormal advocates and creatures gather to convince on hardened sceptic that they exist. However, we know Kitty so it doesn't surprise any of us that this is more than it seems.

It's a story that reminds me of The Most Dangerous Game in where humans were considered the ultimate prey. Now consider humans with supernatural abilities all gath...more
julia
Carrie Vaughn doesn't disappoint. The latest installment of the Kitty Norville series has our plucky werewolf/late-night DJ on a reality show for monsters. It's fast paced, funny, and scarey all at the same time. It was a bit shocking in that characters we've seen before ended up dead--I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting all the new characters, or at least most of them, to end up dead, with our favorites from prior books surviving. I will be looking forward to the next book in the series. L...more
 ♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥
Welcome to Real World Montana..were people start getting hunted and killed.

This is the 7th book in the Kitty Norville series. Kitty is asked to do a show with other paranormal houseguest. Friends from the other 6 books join Kitty with new characters for an experience they will never forget.

I really enjoyed this book. The two before this book were borning, but this brought the fast pace craziness I love in the Kitty series. I was sad to see some of the former and new characters killed. I really...more
Probably one of the darkest Kitty books to date. Kitty thinks she is going to participate in a reality tv show stunt, only to find herself trapped in a mountain resort with other well-know members of the supernatural community -- and someone is trying to kill them.

I have been impressed with how consistent the quality of the writing in the series has been, even as the author manages to introduce new characters and a significant amount of character development. The Kitty series still remains a go...more
Judithe
Monsters come in all forms, and those that where a "non-monster" form are often the worst.

Kitty somewhat reluctantly agrees to do a reality show that reunites her (and us) with some of the interesting characters from previous installments of her tale. Vaughn provides foreshadowing of the battle to come, and keeps the pace flowing and tension building until the finale. That finale will also make you eager to grab the next story in the series.

The characters are solid, and Kitty has her usual charm...more
Bridget
Kitty isn't your average radio host, she's a werewolf. She's about to appear on the very first supernatural reality show. She thinks it's going to be easy as pie and somewhat scripted. Her and the other contestants arrive at a lodge and soon it becomes clear that the reality show may be a cover for something heinous. Kitty had no idea that she had signed up for something that might end in her death.

Kitty is my hero. She's such a kick-ass character and I never tire of her fighting ability. I look...more
Sandra
I enjoyed this Big Brother House of Life & Death. With a name like House of Horrors, we all knew it was going to be a set-up and even so it was well done.

Sadly, some of the good guys died just as we were getting to know them, others were injured and of course, the bad guys bought it. Plenty of action to keep everyone happy.

In the background but just as important is the talk of a coming war. And Kitty picks up some useful allies along the way.

A big plus for the next book is Cormac :D
Melinda
Started off this series not really liking the protagonist (Kitty). But, as the series continued, she really began to grow on me... kind of like a fungus without the ick factor. I actually really enjoyed this one and I have to admit Ms. Vaugh did her job. I started reading the series with a solid meh, and became more interested and invested in Kitty and those around her as the stories continued. I will deffinitely be reading the next one.
Jess
Loved. It. I don't even know how to review it, other than to say it was super fast paced, had lots of gore and guts (it was weirdly fun to think not one person was safe, who's next?!), it had sweet Kitty and Ben moments - my FAVORITE parts and would have loved to have had more, but even little bits with them are sweet and perfect and the ending with her "pack" was when I finally took a breath. As usual, can't wait for the next book!
Gareth Otton
This was a nice return to form for the Kitty Norville series.

At first it seemed as though this was just going to be some kind of blast from the past reunion outing for the radio-talk-show-host/werewolf and her friends but it turned out to be something a bit grimmer.

This story returns to the strengths of the very first novel in this series, the idea that monsters (if they exist) aren't all evil and that in most cases it is normal people who are just as, if not more, capable of evil. Delving int...more
Carolyn F.
Listening to audiobook. I also have the paperback.

Kitty goes on a reality show and find out there's a whole different show than she thought in mind. Super sad book, I kept going "NO!!" That's one thing about these books, they don't have HEA (happy ever afters) or if they do, they're just barely. That's one thing that I don't require in my books so I can enjoy them either way. I love this series.
Chris
Another fun read from Carrie Vaughn. This one could be the best of the series so far. The fantastic reality television idea is what drew me to Carrie's writing in the first place, with her work on the Wild Cards series.

It might have even helped Kitty and company out there in Montana if they'd have had Curveball on their team.
Enjee
The Kitty books are always quick reads. This one had appearances by several characters we met in previous books, all for a supernatural get-away. It turns into something else. At the end, Cormac's situation changes just in time for the next book...which I will read.
Melodie
Excellent read!! Sort of like AND THEN THERE WERE NONE, only with scary monster types. Kitty is in top form and I liked the return of Odysseus Grant. He's a truly fascinating character. Hey, Carrie, write a book about him!!
Archer
Apr 06, 2010 Archer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Have to say this was one of my favorite of the series. I will not give any spoilers out there for fans of this series.. I will just say that it was GREAT..
Mary
Kitty meets Agatha Christie, let's get a bunch of supernaturals together and pick them off one by one. No real surprises, but Kitty's usually a good read.
  • On the Prowl (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #2)
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • City of Souls (Signs of the Zodiac, #4)
  • Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3)
  • Blood Magic (World of the Lupi, #6)
  • Witch Craft (Nocturne City, #4)
  • Shift (Shifters, #5)
  • Bound to Shadows (Riley Jenson Guardian, #8)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Tracking the Tempest (Jane True, #2)
  • Frostbitten (Women of the Otherworld, #10)
  • Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)
Vaughn was born into a military family and has lived all over the U.S. She received a BA from Occidental College, after which she went on to work too many jobs to count until she went back to school to receive her MA from University of Colorado at Boulder. She currently lives in Boulder, CO.
More about Carrie Vaughn...
Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, #1) Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2) Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville, #4) Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3) Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville, #6)

“cope or go crazy” 18 likes
“A lot of what we're doing here deals with perception rather than truth. Many would argue that reality depends more on the former than the latter.” 10 likes