Start by marking “Miss Julia Strikes Back” as Want to Read:
Miss Julia Strikes Back

Miss Julia Strikes Back (Miss Julia #8)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,001 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
America's favorite "Woman of a Certain Age" takes the law into her own hands when a band of jewel thieves targets her town

It's lonely and boring in Miss Julia's normally boisterous town, what with husband Sam off on a long-planned tour of Russia and Hazel Marie vacationing in Mexico with Mr. Pickens. After inviting twenty-five of her closest friends to a party in her hom

Audio CD
Published April 1st 2007 by Recorded Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Julia Strikes Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Julia Strikes Back

Ellen
Oct 22, 2014 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Miss Julia Strikes Back" by Ann B. Ross.

Miss Julia has her friends over for a dinner party. The party is over as soon as Miss Julia discovers she's been robbed. All of her most treasured keepsakes are missing. She learns that she isn't the only one in town who has been robbed either.
Well Miss Julia's mind is made up. She isn't going to take this lying down and soon enlists the aide of an investigator of sorts. This finally ends up with her rag tag gang of friends along with the P.I. on a stake
Donna LaValley
This one was a “page turner.” Despite Miss Julia, Lloyd, and Etta Mae going after sophisticated jewel thieves in Florida, it’s still a light and pleasant tale. She manages to parse little sermons while handling crises such as a stinking, vomiting drunk on her bed, or a lamentable need to wear green polyester pants with some spandex in them. All these circumstances are beneath her, but she does what she has to do. Reality takes it in the shins here, but I enjoyed it. A great culmination scene in ...more
Nancy
Feb 08, 2014 Nancy rated it liked it
I have been listening to this book at bed time. I have found a lot of fun and humor in this series of books. Miss Julia Strikes Back is not a favorite book of mine in this series. I like the books that take place in Miss Julia's home town.

Miss Julia's husband has gone on a tour, that he paid for before he met and married Miss Julia. Hazel Marie and Mr. Petite are both out of town. Miss Julia holds a party for her friends, and afterwards discovers her engagement ring and wedding band have been s
Leslie
Sep 18, 2015 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miss Julia, her pricy engagement ring stolen by jewelry thieves, once again takes matters into her own hands to retrieve it. She and Little Lloyd head to Palm Beach, where the perpetrators may or may not have ended up, to bring them to justice.

In the absence of J.D. Pickens, Julia must turn to another investigator, Frank Tuttle. If we thought her initial encounter with Mr. Pickens was a hoot, the one with Mr. Tuttle is funnier many times over.

Tuttle turns out to be quite a handful, literally,
Mimi
Jul 23, 2014 Mimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the Miss Julia series and this one is a particular favorite. Sam is in Russia and Hazel Marie won a trip to the Caribbean so Miss Julia has very little to do. She has some friends over and when they are gone, she realizes that her wedding set and Hazel Marie's jewelry have been stolen. Determined to retrieve her custom made engagement ring before Sam finds out, she buys a big car, picks up Lloyd from school, and they head to Florida to engage a friend of Mr. Pickens, also a private detectiv ...more
Diane
Mar 14, 2014 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well...what to say. By the end of the book I enjoyed it. It took awhile to really get into it. This is the first of this series I have read. The protagonist, Miss Julia, seems to have joined the ranks of such canny "women sleuths of a certain age"...such as Miss Marple or Jessica Fletcher. But if I had to pick a favorite "woman sleuth of a certain age", I'd have to go with Stephanie Plum's Grandma Mazur, who is just a whole lot more fun.

That being said, Miss Julia is a no-nonsense Southern Lady
Cindy
Years ago I liked the Miss Julia books, they were funny and good light reads. Miss Julia Strikes Back was a little disappointing. This story seemed a little more serious. Jewel thieves had struck Miss Julia's home town. They stole some jewelry from her house while she was away. Then the story gets almost ridiculous. The sheriff said their hideout might be in West Palm Beach Florida. She drives from North Carolina to Florida, determined to get her wedding ring back. She hires a private investigat ...more
Jan 20, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the funniest Miss Julia book yet.
Nicole
3.5 Stars

Miss Julia’s new husband and friend are each away on their own dream vacations, so she decides to throw a party to occupy her time. Unfortunately for Miss Julia, the day after the party, she discovers her prize engagement ring missing. Someone has stolen several of her friends’ jewelry too. Miss Julia is determined to get her possessions back, before her loved ones return. The search takes Miss Julia, Little Lloyd and Miss Wiggins on a wild adventure down to Florida in hopes of catching
Julie Failla Earhart
Humor/chick lit
4 stars
Already released
Ann B. Ross
Viking
www.missjulia.com
Reviewed by Julie Failla Earhart
After a less than stellar seventh outing with Miss Julia Strikes Back, Ann B. Ross continues the tales of the tales of Mrs. Julia Springer, known around Abbottsville simply as Miss Julia, with Miss Julia Strikes Back. This southern magnolia is anything but quiet and demur; she quite feisty for a woman “of a certain age.”

Almost all of Miss Julia’s family has gone out of
Elle Lothlorien
Nov 17, 2012 Elle Lothlorien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's no wonder that Ann Ross's 'Miss Julia' series has taken the South by storm. Rarely does a protagonist of Miss Julia's caliber come along to delight readers. A middle-aged widow who dominates a small Southern town, Miss Julia is the most delightful contradiction of a character since M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin.

I love, love, love it when a character has an internal 'war' going on, and Miss Julia never disappoints. Whether its deciding what to do when her late husband's paramour shows up on he
Carol
Oct 09, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second Read: October 9, 2014

I didn't remember I'd already read this one, so read again. It has second meaning to it, as last month we had burglars come into our home and stole all my jewelry. Maybe it was meant to be that I read it again. I really like those stories. Feel good, old fashioned Southern read!

First Read: Feb. 15. 2013Miss Julia is back and better than ever. She comes home one day to find that hers and Hazel Marie's jewelry has been stolen, and of course, she is not in the least cont
Caroline Murray
Jan 05, 2016 Caroline Murray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I do enjoy these silly books. I listened to this one on audio and found myself laughing out loud. I love the narrator's voice and her accent is spot on. Her voices for the other characters are perfect also. Miss Julia is like so many Southern women I know. I can really relate to her. This plot is totally implausible and absolutely ridiculous but you can't help but buy into it and be totally captivated. It's a feel good story when you just need a break from all the serious stuff.
Ferne
May 18, 2014 Ferne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I previously read “Miss Julia Delivers the Goods” which was my introduction to the character of Miss Julia and author Ann B. Ross. Miss Julia is delightful. She’s the definition of optimism, “busy body”, and adventurous all blended into one creative, fun-filled, whimsical, well-meaning woman who will always move “heaven and earth” to satisfy her curiosity and to uphold promises to herself and to her friends. Who could ask for more? Open the covers, step inside, and have a great time!
Jill
"I couldn't help marvel at how far people will go when something valuable is at stake. It was enough to make you despair for the human race, if you thought about it." Says the woman who decides to take it into her own hands, drive to Florida, hire a private detective, and get her precious engagement ring back because the police weren't working to her liking. (insert eye roll here)

I'm liking these books, absolutely loving Miss Julia's clear hypocrisy.
Barbara
May 27, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing the Southern Sisters series, I now turn to Miss Julia to read something light and funny, to clear my head, so to speak. This in the series was funnier than usual, and I actually started it on the 24th while trying to sowdge through Call the Midwife. Lovely series...when you get past Miss Julia's apparent snippiness and judgmentalism and realize the irony.
Patty
Apr 06, 2015 Patty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I already had read, but not reviewed apparently, this #8 book in the series, but I enjoyed reading it again. I should probably give it 4 stars because it's one of the most fun. There are some quite vivid caper scenes which make me think they could turn it into a fun tv shows. In this one, we get to know Etta Mae better, and like her a lot, and we get a good dose of Lloyd - this is the one in which he stops being "Little Lloyd" - and he's my favorite character.

The more I read the Miss Julia books
Patty
Apr 05, 2010 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, this book I enjoyed. I've been swinging back and forth on Miss Julia. I like the characters but get a little tired of the TSTL things that Miss Julia sometimes does, for no known reason. I also don't know why she insists that everything she does doesn't need to be shared with anyone except Lilian.

In this book only Miss Julia and Lloyd are center stage, although they take along Etta Mae Wiggins. They are off to search for the crooks who broke into houses all over town stealing jewelry, incl
Nd
Sep 18, 2015 Nd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best Miss Julias so far. It's fun to have her get into even worse predicaments than before, taking Lloyd and sneaking away to follow the jewelry thieves who stole her rings to Florida. Etta Mae Wiggins and Frank Tuttle are unwitting sidekicks in this uniquely Miss Julia escapade.
Michelle
Nov 23, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Ann B. Ross
Fiction
Audio Book
copyright: 2007
isbn: 978-1-4281-4779-9

The irresistible, indefatigable Miss Julia is back, turning the tables on a thief who chose the wrong belle to burgle

Having earned a devoted following for her rollicking antics and unshakable poise, Miss Julia's eighth outing begins with an unfortunate discovery. Her cherished engagement ring-an exact replica of Princess Di's-turns up missing after a party, making her the latest target of a Florida- based g
Kate
Miss Julia is back and better than ever. She comes home one day to find that her jewelry and Hazel Marie's jewelry has been burgled, and of course, she is not in the least content to wait for the police to go and find the stuff. Together with Little Lloyd and Etta Mae, she finds a private investigator (her usual go-to man, JD Pickens, is vacationing with Hazel Marie in Mexico) and goes after the jewel thieves herself.

The book is typical Miss Julia madcap hilarity, her proper Southern ladylike wa
Frances Johnson
Once again, the talented, fiesty Miss Julia has to take the situation in hand and solve her problems. Witty and funny and just delightful is what we have to call Miss Julia. It's a fun story.
Tawny Conner Cleveland
Loved it! I can't believe the fun twists and turns Miss Julia had. I enjoyed belly laughs at the way she went after what was hers and put everyone in their place in the process.
Julie Baker
Nov 11, 2014 Julie Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been one of my favorite Miss Julia's to date. I am thikning it was the change of location and characters that did it for me. I missed hazel Marie and Lillian having "big roles" in this one - but loved getting to know Etta Mae Wiggins better, and Frank Tuttle added a fun twist. It was also fun seeing the group go to Florida.
A fun read!!!
Patsy Tindell
Book 8 in the series, this one has the most unlikely plot so far. Miss Julia and Little Lloyd chase jewel thieves in Florida.
Russell Sanders
Dec 13, 2013 Russell Sanders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This edition of Miss Julia's saga is as entertaining as the previous seven books. What makes this one unique is that Miss Julia ventures out of her tiny community on a road trip to recover stolen goods. Most of author Ross's regular characters are virtually absent from the story, giving us readers the chance to bond with characters Little Lloyd (now just called Lloyd,) Etta Mae Wiggins, a new character Mr. Tuttle, and, of course, the irrepressible Miss Julia. It's light, it's quick, and it's fun ...more
Dawn Branch
Aug 29, 2012 Dawn Branch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The adventures of Miss Julia is captured by Ann B. Ross in this popular series. While this is not high literature, I thoroughly enjoy the situations that Miss Julia finds herself in. She is like a madcap Angela Lansbury careening through her small southern town trying to please everyone while dealing with her many personal crazy friends and relations. These are hilarious and often you can't put them down. I don't know why they never made this into a comedy series.

I would recommend that you read
Carol Silver
Nov 13, 2015 Carol Silver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book, delightfully light and pleasant. Similiar to spending a few days with a favorite aunt.
Mary-Frances
Jul 06, 2015 Mary-Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books crack me up - I just love Miss Julia and the stories are cute and non-repetitive! :)
Virma
Jul 02, 2014 Virma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love- " I Love Lucy" then Miss Julia Books are for you! Hilarious hi-jinks!
  • Life Goes On (Harmony, #4)
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • Sleeping at the Starlite Motel: and Other Adventures on the Way Back Home
  • Murder-Go-Round: Thirteen at Dinner, The A.B.C. Murders, Funerals are Fatal
  • Wedding Cake
  • Keep It Simple, Stupid: You're Smarter Than You Look
  • Black Mountain Breakdown
  • Tony Hillerman: The Leaphorn & Chee Novels: Skinwalkers, A Thief of Time, Coyote Waits
  • Dearest Dorothy, Help! I've Lost Myself!  (Dearest Dorothy, #3)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La! (Sisterchicks, #5)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters Mystery, #4)
  • The Quilter's Homecoming (Elm Creek Quilts, #10)
Ann B. Ross, who taught literature at the University of North Carolina at Asheville, is the author of Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, one of the most popular Southern debut novels in years, Miss Julia Takes Over, Miss Julia Throws a Wedding, and Miss Julia Hits the Road. She lives in Hendersonville, North Carolina.
More about Ann B. Ross...

Miss Julia (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia, #1)
  • Miss Julia Takes Over (Miss Julia, #2)
  • Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3)
  • Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4)
  • Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5)
  • Miss Julia's School of Beauty (Miss Julia, #6)
  • Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)
  • Miss Julia Paints the Town (Miss Julia, #9)
  • Miss Julia Delivers the Goods (Miss Julia, #10)
  • Miss Julia Renews Her Vows (Miss Julia, #11)