Start by marking “Conception (The Others, #1)” as Want to Read:
Conception (The Others, #1)

Conception (The Others #1)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  363 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
An unwilling victim of an experiment gone wrong, mother to a child who shouldn't exist, Eden Lavery knows only one person strong enough to stand between the Coalition's fanatical quest for immortality and their threat to her daughter- Dusan Knight. Six-foot-three-inches of solid muscle, Deuce wears his power with the easy confidence that comes from six centuries of command ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Elloras Cave (first published August 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Conception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conception

Yashika
Aug 17, 2012 Yashika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favorites
Where are the sequels? I absolutely loved this book and never read anything by this author previously. I heard about it on a Amazon forum talking about shocking sex scenes. The bedroom scenes were graphic and descriptive, just the way I like them. I really hope she writes a sequel soon I would love find out who is mated next.
Mara
May 01, 2014 Mara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: pnr
Updated to add this link with a snippet: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/08/28/...
Forewarned is forearmed, or so they say.
****************************************************

I had not realized this was a former Ellora's Cave book, now self published by its author. The new cover is way better than the original, by the way.

The cover is also, unfortunately, the only thing salvageable in this story. I bought it after reading the blurb and the sample which really hooked me. A man and a woman fa
Netanella
Nov 26, 2010 Netanella rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of the author, and selected this book simply for her name alone. However, I was largely disappointed with this book - the characters were flat, one-dimensional creations that kept doing or saying the same thing over and over again. I felt like I was stuck in a loop for most of the book. Deuce: "It is my duty to Eden: "I must leave; they will catch me." Over and over ad nauseum. I was glad when the book ended.
Gee
Jul 14, 2014 Gee rated it really liked it
This is a book crying out for continuation in a series. Seriously. Where are the sequels?
Anne
Aug 26, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zbir-2011
This book was SO good. I LOVED it. I SO want a sequel.
Jaycee
Jun 06, 2013 Jaycee rated it it was amazing
I read this book some time ago, when I first discovered Sarah McCarty's writing, and I loved it completely. I just completed a re-read, and the spark is still there...

I have been hoping ever since that first read, that a new book would add to the series...or a couple of books might complete it. Certainly Bodhan is worthy of his own story, and there are a few "Others" (pun intended) who need some exploration.

Very disappointed in how little we've heard form Ms. McCarty in past few years...hope all
Rinou
Feb 22, 2016 Rinou rated it did not like it
The plot would be interesting if it was more present, but most of the time we're told something happened without witnessing it, and the universe is not explained. The sex scenes seem more painful than exciting, and once the hero even goes through the cervix into the womb to "seed" the heroine to the point her belly stays swollen. And don't forget the machismo of every male around and the submissiveness expected from the women in every way.
Gizzie
This is the first book by Sarah McCarty i didnt like and found boring, and I have read them all. This book started out good but quickly went from good to TMI. Most of the book was about a vampire mating with the chemically altered human and the process they went through to be mated. It was so detailed it became hard to keep reading. l almost gave up on reading the book several times. By the time I was about 85% through the book it started to pick up and pull together. Some parts made no sense. E ...more
Karen Scott
Jan 30, 2012 Karen Scott rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal
From the sublime to the beyond dull. This was the worst Sarah McCarty book, probably due to the fact that the author was trying out a new genre after having written westerns for the majority of her career. Sometimes a change is not a good thing as this reader can attest to, after reading this book. Ms McCarty is a strong writer, but unfortunately, if this had been the first book of hers I'd ever read, I'd have probably never read her again.
M
This is now one of my favorite books. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any issue of continuing the series right now. I am giving this book 5 stars for content but I am disappointed there is no sequel being prepared.
Stacie
Nov 14, 2007 Stacie added it
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance
This book was erotic and the couple rarely left the bedroom setting. It was an intense read but after a while I was waiting for more plot line. The steamy scenes were very long and a little more "info" than I like in my reads.
Mitzi
Mar 29, 2012 Mitzi marked it as to-read
Shelves: a-own-tbr-k2
Yippee!!! Sarah just self-pub'd this book and it is finally available on Kindle....here is the link @ 3-29-2012: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007...
Brenda (b)
Deuce = arrogant, dominant, confident, totally Alpha Male. Eden has to struggle with all that plus her own past.

An urban fantasy world I enjoyed discovering.
Halcyon
Jul 13, 2014 Halcyon rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2014
(This review contains my thoughts during the reading of this book, with additions later on.)

As you can see from my rating, I did not really enjoy this book. I did fully finish it, but my thoughts on it, to put it quite bluntly, is that this book is too ridiculous for words. (Which is a darn pity because I like the writing style of the author, just not what is being written, I suppose.)

(view spoiler)
Erin
Feb 27, 2014 Erin rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Halfway through and I just can't finish it. It's like a Christine Feehan Dark book on steroids. It started out pretty good and devolved quickly in to a repetitive, annoying mess. I didn't like the h, I didn't like the H and by half-way through I didn't care what happened to either.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jul 17, 2012 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of erotic paranormal romance
Fascinating plot, enjoyable characters, and a feeling of fast-paced action through to the final pages. The love scenes were not the most imaginative I've read, but they serve to forward the action in more ways than those in any of the other thousands of books I've read.

Want to go back to page one right away and start it again.
Keri
This was a strange read at times. I didn't know whether to wince or giggle at the bonding scene. Never mind the ring *eye-roll* ceremony. Really??? I can see where a guy might like to read this. I like her Promises series much better than this one. Not sure I want to continue it.
Patti Ashley
Solid read

The opening was so intense, you are drawn in to the suffering and hope. Very intense story,and good characters, distinct and well developed. Vampires, others and humans battle a man seeking immortality.
Scooper Speaks
Sep 01, 2012 Scooper Speaks rated it liked it
3.5. It's really outrageous at times and I got so tired of the heroine "paying tribute" to her man by giving him head. Way too much oral sex, but I liked the idea of the story and I didn't hate anybody so.
Marcella
Dec 09, 2012 Marcella rated it really liked it
Very dark story but it jumped around and really did not give you a clear view of the villain it left you on a cliff hanger with no real resolution
Melanie♥
Feb 02, 2010 Melanie♥ rated it really liked it
Since this was written 4 years ago, I wonder if she plans to continue the series?
Stacy Neumann
Stacy Neumann rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Meg Griffin
Meg Griffin marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Anya
Anya marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Cieeri
Cieeri marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Mathilda Koppel Eriksson
Mathilda Koppel Eriksson marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Tricia Lenhart
Tricia Lenhart rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Sherry Draper
Sherry Draper rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
  • Dreamer (Firewalkers, #1)
  • The Alpha Promise
  • Sweeter Than Wine (Brotherhood of Blood, #4)
  • Wild in the City (Werewulf Journals, #1)
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes
  • His Perfect Submissive
  • Destiny United (Shadows of Destiny, #2)
  • Stefan's Salvation (Dalakis Passion, #3)
  • Caressed by a Crimson Moon (Rulers of Darkness, #3)
  • When Night Falls (Satrins, #2)
  • Sarael's Reading (Carnival Tarot, #1)
  • Nikolai's Wolf (True Mates, #3)
  • Candid Camera (Were Watching, #1)
  • Damned by Blood (Faustin Bros, #3)
  • The Claiming of Moira Shine
  • Wicked Hot
  • Fire and Rain (Cherchez Pack, #2)
  • Blood Legacy (Blood Legacy, #1)
(1)romance author

Sarah has traveled extensively throughout her life, living in other cultures, sometimes in areas where electricity was a concept awaiting fruition and a book was an extreme luxury. While she could easily adjust to the lack of electricity, living without the comfort of a good book was intolerable
More about Sarah McCarty...