Start by marking “The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration” as Want to Read:
The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration

The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  228 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Joss Whedon--creator of the wildly popular Buffy the Vampire Slayer; its spin-off, Angel; the short-lived series Firefly; and the feature film it inspired, Serenity--takes a seat on the couch in this in-depth examination of the psychological gravity that has captivated his deeply devoted fan base. Whedon fans will enjoy a discussion of issues that are both funny and profou ...more
Published November 10th 2007 by Smart Pop

To ask other readers questions about The Psychology of Joss Whedon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Psychology of Joss Whedon

Finding Serenity by Jane EspensonThe Psychology of Joss Whedon by Joy DavidsonSerenity Found by Jane EspensonFirefly by Joss WhedonFirefly by Joss Whedon
Best books on the works of Joss Whedon
2nd out of 43 books — 15 voters
Why Buffy Matters by Rhonda V. WilcoxBuffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy by James B. SouthBuffy Goes Dark by Lynne Y. EdwardsSlayer Slang by Michael         AdamsSeven Seasons of Buffy by Glenn Yeffeth
Buffy Academia
42nd out of 48 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Nico Our Lady of the Sacred Bonechuck
zis book could also be called "Affirmations of Whedon's Awesomeness"
Jessica
Jan 23, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I love these collections that look at my favorite TV shows from different perspectives. I first started with some philosophy books related to Buffy and Angel, and even though I hate philosophy, I really enjoyed them. When I found out that there was a book of essays written from the psychological perspective, I was very excited. I have a degree in psychology! I am fascinated by psychology! Marry that with my favorite shows, and oh man, how can you go wrong?

This collection did not disappoint. Whil
Ellie
Aug 11, 2011 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration by Joy Davidson is my idea of a perfect read-like a day at the beach, unlimited Godiva chocolates & a paid-for-by-somebody-else shoe shopping spree all rolled into one. Intelligent writing on a beloved subject handled just well enough to keep my mind active without forcing it to work too terribly hard. Too easy=bored, too hard=frustrated;
this book=just right.

Although some essays were better than others, every one was worth the read.
Sep 01, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Not gonna lie, I'm a Joss Whedon fangirl. I think he's a genius. On his worst day, his work is just fantastic as opposed to mindblowing. When The Psychology of Joss Whedon came across my radar, I was incredibly excited to read it. I have a large interest in psychology and the idea of delving into Joss's mind on that level, seeing what makes him tick, makes me more than a little giddy.

First, a warning: Do not read this book if you haven't watched Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Serenity. Spoilers galor
Marsha
Joss Whedon’s prolific imagination took off with his notion of a petite blond that kicked butt. Strong women aren’t new to fiction; lots of people from Marion Zimmer Bradley to Rob Tapert have had a go at crafting tough ladies who took no guff from anyone. But few have created shows with so many layered meanings behind them, shows that spawned endless groups, panels, conversations and arguments among fans and the literati alike. This book draws together many erudite minds to discuss the various ...more
Derek
Dec 26, 2009 Derek rated it liked it
Shelves: misc
I liked this book and would probably recommend it to other Joss Whedon fans. However, some of the analysis seemed a bit contrived and weakly formulated. But that really doesn't matter too much since the essays in this book are really written for the fun of it, rather than to exhaustive psychoanalysis of the Jossverse. Anyway, I had a good time with it and if you are a fan of Buffy/Angel/Firefly, then you probably will too.
Phredric
Apr 20, 2011 Phredric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very variable collection of essays on the Buffy, Angel and Firefly verses. Some interesting stuff but a most seem to be rambling and somewhat confused. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale" is a much better book if you’re interested in this kind of analysis, which I am, and it was fun to read into the bargain.
Stephen
Dec 30, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
A little Buffycentric (I'm more of a Angel/Firefly fan) but a fun and engaging series of articles. The authors as a group show an admirable willingess to mix some humour into their generally serious and well thought out writings about various aspects of the Whedonverse.
Lani
Jul 31, 2012 Lani rated it it was ok
Meh. I guess what I want is friendly deep conversation about Whedon's shows, not annoying psych evals. I'm a psych nerd and I found a lot of this pretty boring. There were, like in any essay collection, a few highlights that I enjoyed, but much of it was VERY dry.
Shelley
Jan 04, 2009 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: september, nonfiction
If you've watched Buffy or Angel or Firefly, you need to read this book! The essays are all interesting and thought-provoking. Made me wish there were more of his shows out there to enjoy!
Steven
Oct 26, 2008 Steven rated it it was ok
At times interesting, and plodding at others. Mix of good and tepid essays psychologically looking at Whedon, his work, and his characters. Very uneven reading, in my experience.
Eilis O'Neal
Aug 29, 2012 Eilis O'Neal rated it really liked it
A great book for lovers of Buffy, Angel, and Firefly. Interesting, insightful essays on the show (and no you don't need a psychology degree to get them!).
Alana
Jan 03, 2011 Alana rated it liked it
The level of psychology in this book is very much 101, but it's a fun read for Joss fans.
Sharron
Sep 06, 2008 Sharron marked it as to-read
I love Joss Whedon's work. Buffy, Angel and Firefly are missed but their is always DVD.
Michael
Dec 30, 2008 Michael rated it liked it
the best essay was the last, by Joy Davidson
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Marshall Hitch
Marshall Hitch marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2016
Stacey Stiles
Stacey Stiles rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Jayne
Jayne marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Jamie Bell
Jamie Bell rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Corinnagoodwin
Corinnagoodwin marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Oneil Ferrer
Oneil Ferrer rated it it was ok
May 29, 2016
Debbie Brown
Debbie Brown marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Dalton Mortimer
Dalton Mortimer rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Larissa
Larissa marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Marie Potter
Marie Potter marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe
  • Existential Joss Whedon: Evil And Human Freedom in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly And Serenity
  • Sex and the Slayer: A Gender Studies Primer for the Buffy Fan
  • Fighting the Forces: What's at Stake in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon
  • Buffy Goes Dark: Essays on the Final Two Seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Television
  • Reading the Vampire Slayer: The Complete, Unofficial Guide to 'Buffy' and 'Angel'
  • What Would Buffy Do? The Vampire Slayer as Spiritual Guide
  • Joss Whedon: The Complete Companion: The TV Series, the Movies, the Comic Books and More: The Essential Guide to the Whedonverse
  • Joss Whedon: The Genius Behind Buffy
  • Undead TV: Essays on Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Whedonistas!: A Celebration of the Worlds of Joss Whedon by the Women Who Love Them
  • The Psychology of the Simpsons: D'oh!
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale
  • The Physics of the Buffyverse
  • Getting Lost: Survival, Baggage, and Starting Over in J. J. Abrams' Lost (Smart Pop series)