Start by marking “Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist” as Want to Read:
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  67,859 Ratings  ·  4,059 Reviews
The New York Times bestselling he-said/she-said rock n’ roll romance that inspired the motion picture starring Michael Cera (Juno, Arrested Development) and Kat Dennings (Thor, TV’s 2 Broke Girls)!

"I know this is going to sound strange, but would you mind being my girlfriend for the next five minutes?"

Nick frequents New York's indie rock scene nursing a broken heart. Nor
Published August 26th 2008 by Random House Children's Books (first published May 23rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, please sign up.

Shannen I liked the movie until I read the book. It was a terrible adaptation. Granted, many movie adaptations are disappointing if you really loved the book…moreI liked the movie until I read the book. It was a terrible adaptation. Granted, many movie adaptations are disappointing if you really loved the book they were based off of (and I really loved this one). The movie felt way too scripted, like they were trying to fit it into this idea of a teen movie, as opposed to the organic more "this could actually happen" feeling you get from the book. And I hated the way they twisted the integrity of the characters (Nick and Norah themselves most noticeably) for the film. They are much stronger and more interesting people in the book (I suspect this was done in some misguided attempt to heighten the dynamic). (less)
Luisa Buendia I would highly recommend reading the book, the movie is COMPLETELY different than the book and left out so many scenes and added scenes in that…moreI would highly recommend reading the book, the movie is COMPLETELY different than the book and left out so many scenes and added scenes in that weren't there and messed with the plot.(less)

j
Jun 19, 2011 j rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: me, age 14
Recommended to j by: the movie
A few years ago I posted a far-too-personal blog on MySpace (ok, so maybe it was more than a few years ago) offering a retrospective analysis of select mortifying excepts from my circa-age 14 journal (note: not a diary). It's the only year I kept one, and thank god, because while it's perhaps worthwhile to have a snapshot of what I was thinking and feeling at that particular, tumultuous time in my life, what I was thinking and feeling was stupid and the way I went about putting it into words was ...more
Keith
May 13, 2009 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My wife loved this book and dragged me to the movie shortly after it came out. I thought the movie was cute---a better than average teen romance set in my old stomping grounds of New York City's Greenwich Village and Soho. On leaving the theater, I soon heard from my wife how much better the book was, and how disappointing the movie was. I guess it's all a question of what you're expecting going in...

I started reading the book as soon as we got home.

It opens with a great hook. Nick sees his ex-g
*DISCLAIMER: I wrote this review several years ago...I've grown since then and I realize this review is very BASHING. I really try hard not to write bashing reviews now because there's an author on the other end of a book. Still, I don't want to censor this review because it was what I felt at the time I read it and I still agree with the majority of the sentiments. I wanted to let you know I would approach my review an entirely different way if I had written it now. 7/13

Nick sees his old girlfr
Anna
Jun 29, 2008 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pretentious punk rocker wannabes
Recommended to Anna by: I have no one to blame -- I foolishly picked it up myself in the
This book left such a bad taste in my mouth! Where do I begin...?

First, the language was ridiculous. This is supposed to be a young adult book, yet I can't tell you how many times the authors [over]used the word "fuck." Why? In most of the situations it was totally unnecessary and sounded like they were trying too hard to impress their young readers. I understand that "fuck" is a word just like anything else, but just like every other word in the English language, it does not need to be the only
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Before I start the story that is Nick and Norah, I decided we needed to get some misconceptions out of the way first.

1) I don't live in Manhattan, so I won't understand what the characters are talking about. Wrong! I don't live in Manhattan--actually, I've never been farther East than Ohio, but I still got the gist of the story quite easily. Sure, I might never have visited Times Square, but I've been on the Square in my hometown (population 3,400), and the sa
Minli
Jan 09, 2010 Minli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is FUCKING EPIC. So there.

I think all YA lit is exaggerated in a sense, not in a bad way, but in an interesting way--who wants to read about just the ordinary? Of course, I could just be saying this because it was done well here. I bet you anything the next YA book I read, I'll be griping about it being 'too unrealistic.'

What's the difference then? Writing. Levithan and Cohn's writing is sooo gorgeous in that 'witty but not so witty you're annoying and pretentious' kind of way.

And e
Suzanne
Finally done. Just over a week to get through a slim 183 pages. Blech.

17-year-old Suzanne would have loved this book. 30-year-old Suzanne hated it. I feel like it tried too hard. And the f-bomb is used way too gratuitously. It's not even used for emphasis's sake.
Example:
Normal Human: I am going to take out the trash right now.
Nick and/or Norah: I am going to f*@%ing take out the f*@%ing trash right f*@%ing now.
Is this how the teens are talking these days?
Amanda
Oct 01, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, blog
Nick and Norah meet in a punk rock club one night when Nick asks Norah to be his 5 minute girlfriend. Why? Because Nick's ex, Tris, is in the club with her new man and Tris broke Nick's heart. From that point on, Nick and Norah recognize the chemistry between them, but their feelings are compromised by their previous relationships.

The book is okay. Just okay. Told in stream-of-consciousness chapters alternating between Nick's point of view and Norah's, some of it becomes repetitive (although thi
Nicola
Mar 16, 2008 Nicola rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, teen
On the emo (punk? oh whatever, EMO) music scene in New York City, Nick and Norah meet and fall in love over a single, remarkable night. Unfortunately, what had the potential to be a great book fails in its execution.

The trouble with a co-written book (Cohn and Levithan wrote alternating chapters, sending the manuscript back and forth) is that half the writing I liked a lot (Cohn's) and half the writing I damn near hated (Levithan's). I like wordplay. I do not, however, like it nearly as much as
Anthony Chavez
Aug 11, 2012 Anthony Chavez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I envision Nick working somewhere like The Strand which was featured in "Dash & Lily's Book of Dares" and now I understand some of the places that were mentioned in that book and the bathroom writing on the wall they mentioned in "Dash & Lily's Book of Dares" by the same authors.

After reading it I was trying to think of what the writing reminded me of, what with all the musical references and the language used, and I went back to my Textual Healing review and thought, "YES." It's like a
Morgan
Jun 03, 2014 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Morgan by: Dawn Foster
Shelves: favorites, ya
I noticed this book in our house--my mom was reading it, and the cover both intrigued me and repelled me. However, after my mom's recommendation, I read this book--and loved it. It is one of the most dead-on accurate books I've ever read about young emotions and feelings. The initial plot is slightly contrived: a heartbroken teenager sees his ex with her new guy and asks a girl to pretend she's his girlfriend. However, the story is told by both Nick and Norah's point of view, so the reader is al ...more
Emma
Jul 13, 2014 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novels written by two authors can go one of two ways: they can be really cool, or really bad. Happily, writers of young adult novels seem to have a knack for working in collaboration. "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" (from 2006) was written by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. Cohn wrote Norah's part and Levithan wrote Nick's part, but they are not really Nick and Norah.

The story starts in the middle of the night (or is it the beginning of the morning?) at a club on Ludlow Street in New York C
Nawal
Oct 27, 2015 Nawal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that David Levithan and Rachel Cohn write better when they work independently. I never quite see the duo come up with anything special together, although the majority seem to have enjoyed the Cohn/Levithan partnership, I think that they produce better works when working alone. This was evident in the Green/Levithan novel 'Will Grayson, Will Grayson'. This was by no means a terrible novel, but it didn't have the magic of Levithan's books, or the captivation of Cohns.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I totally dig this book. It surprised me because I didn't think the movie looked promising at all, and after having read the book I can honestly say I never want to see the movie. Michael Cera as Nick? Not a stellar casting decision. Nick O'Leary deserved better. Oh well.

Setting that atrocity of cinema aside for a moment...

This book does have its flaws, the major one being the musical elitism. But if you can look past that, you can see two people who come together under somewhat unusual circums
Kristy
Street Corner TBR Challenge
May Pick #5 per Tina.

I don’t know if I have ever read a book that I had already watched the movie for. If I have I can’t think of it. I usually read the book first and make myself wait to watch the movie. But, for whatever reason I didn’t wait with Nick and Norah. Hearing the movie was better than the book might have gave me the push…. It was a cool experience though. I knew exactly how to picture the characters; I imagined them the entire time. I kept picturing scenes
Diane
Apr 06, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I don't know how the world broke. And I don't know if there's a God who can help us fix it. But the fact that the world is broken--I absolutely believe that. Just look around us. Every minute--every single second--there are a million things you could be thinking about. A million things you could be worrying about.

Our world--don't you just feel we're becoming more and more fragmented? I used to think that when I get older, the world would make so much more sense. But you know what? The older I g
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
What happens when Nick's ex-girlfriend shows up while he’s trying to have a decent night? He makes quick introductions to Norah and strikes a deal to be each other’s date for the next 5 minutes. Add in a sighting of Norah's ex-boyfriend and the 5 minutes extend little by little into an all night getting-to-know you and maybe falling a little bit in love experience.

This book has a certain writing style that should just drive me mad. It’s. So. Abrupt. Halting. Aggressive. Angry. Confused. Generall
Carlos.
Aug 07, 2016 Carlos. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I always think of each night as a song. Or each moment as a song. But now I'm seeing we don't live in a single song. We move from song to song, from lyric to lyric, from chord to chord. There is no ending here. It's a infinite playlist.

Cuando empecé a leer este libro pensaba que no me iba a gustar absolutamente nada, que era la típica historia de amor adolescente, llena de clichés, predecible y aburrida. Y aunque en parte tenía razón, lo cierto es que he disfrutado bastante de este libro. Se tra
Francisca Viegas
We are graced, and we are together, and the twoliness is trumping the loneliness and the doubt and the fear.

I actually liked this a lot. I had a minor issue with it, but other than that it was a fun and short read. I've come to expect great things from David Levithan and Rachel Cohn. Their characters are always so real and believable, and the struggles we read about are things most of us have actually been through and therefore can totally relate to.

The worst:
The language in this is way too o
Nora
Feb 18, 2012 Nora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
Pane bože! Pane bože! Tyhle slova normálně při psaní nepoužívám (abych byla upřímná, bohužel i já takhle mluvím... ale psát takhle, to je něco úplně jiného), ale tohle... tohle mám tendenci pořád psát! Tahle knížka... no ty brďo! Nikdy jsem si nemyslela, že se toho tolik může udát za jedinou noc a nevyznít to... co já vím... divně... ale... ty jo!

Tahle kniha vypráví o jedné noci dvou lidí. Dvou lidí, kteří za sebou mají svůj vlastní příběh, osud, pocity, zklamání, lásky, nevyřešené účty. Dva li
SheWunders
Jun 25, 2008 SheWunders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I don’t think I’ve ever read the word f*&k so many times (sheesh), but I like this book for its innovative and true representation of the current teenage mind. I’m sure not all teenagers are like Nick and Norah (I know I wasn’t), but many are the dialog in this books is insightful. It’s written in alternating chapters from Nick & Norah’s POV. It’s great to see what’s going on in their head simultaneously. Whoa to the person who could put up with it in everyday life. Anyway, Nick and ...more
Mags
Apr 20, 2016 Mags rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While Twilight was a psychological nightmare, I found it more tolerable to read than Nick & Norah. I was/am more ashamed of myself when I had wasted time having reached halfway of this book than when I read a few free chapters of Twilight. The Nick and Norah characters—well, to be honest, all the characters—were shallow. Let me summarize the book to those who haven’t read it, from Nick’s POV: “Ex is coming over. Time to protect ego. Find the next girl and have her pretend she’s my new girlfr ...more
Jennie
Jan 02, 2008 Jennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yaliterature
Plot: When Nick and Norah meet in a NYC rock club, they have no idea that they are about to embark upon a romantic relationship. Nick just wants a girlfriend for five minutes in order to make his ex jealous, but there's something about Norah that leaves him wanting more after she kisses him in response to his asking for a five minute girlfriend. The two end up spending the night together in NYC and begin to fall for each other.

Evaluation: I have to say that just like Doing It and Forever, sex is
Reddish
Feb 03, 2016 Reddish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Una novela con altos y bajos en cuanto a sentimientos se refiere. Te reirás y la disfrutarás muchísimo. Totalmente recomendada.

"I'm thinking I would like to dance in the rain with this person. I would like to lie next to him in the dark and watch him breathe and watch him sleep and wonder what he's dreaming about and not get an inferiority complex when the dreams aren't about me."
Hannah
Jul 20, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contemporary lovers, NYC lovers
Recommended to Hannah by: My sister
Plot: Nick and Norah’s plot line is both a mix of realistic and crazy. I think that as a young adult the idea of a mad night out which escalates into different places is something that does happen and dreams do feel possible. The plot was really entertaining and it also felt very fast paced which was quite surprising as it all took place in the space of one night. I think it was really interesting to read and it was humorous and fun to read. The idea of them falling instantly in love did feel a ...more
Syaza Aqilah ♡
Aug 19, 2016 Syaza Aqilah ♡ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
gosh, where do i start?

i don't know if i'm being a lil bit biased or something since I LOVE THE MOVIE!, but i did enjoy this book, surprisingly!, considering that the rating is okay. i just can't help myself but to compare both of the book and the movie whilst i was reading it. the book is totally different from the movie, far different, but they still followed like 40% of the book, which is okay to me.

let's just cut to the chase, i LOVE book nick and movie norah. and i'd totally ship them lol.
Connie
Source: I borrowed this book from a friend.
Cost: Free

Title: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Authors: Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Overall Rating: 2.8 stars

This book started strong. Nick and Norah both started as strong characters with the potential to wow me, I liked how there was the chance for there to be some amazing backstory involving their exs or something. But it never delivered which makes me sad.

I can't help but feel a bit disappointed.

If a book was
Ashley Metzger
May 19, 2015 Ashley Metzger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how this was written! So beautiful, and so casual at the same time.
Liam
Oct 04, 2014 Liam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is beyond cute, I loved it and it left me with a big cheesy smile on my face

it's only a short book and not a lot happens really but it's an incredible story

don't think I've ever read a book that says the F word in it as much in my life though ahah

I'd recommend this to everyone as an easy, light read that you'll love more and more with each chapter

ps I just realised it's a film too, is it any good ??
Alexa
May 08, 2016 Alexa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really amazing!! I was really surprised by how different it was from the movie, I was thinking there would be some relations but no not at all!! The two main characters were like a puzzle, the pieces were scattered everywhere but it all fit together at the end.
  • Are We There Yet?
  • Beige
  • I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone
  • Hard Love
  • Fat Kid Rules the World
  • King Dork (King Dork, #1)
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • Beatle Meets Destiny
  • Rats Saw God
  • Derby Girl
  • So Punk Rock: And Other Ways to Disappoint Your Mother
  • A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life
  • Devilish
Rachel grew up in the D.C. area and graduated from Barnard College with a B.A. in Political Science. She has written many YA novels, including three that she cowrote with her friend and colleague David Levithan. She lives and writes (when she's not reading other people's books, organizing her music library or looking for the best cappuccino) in New York City.
More about Rachel Cohn...

“You know the reason The Beatles made it so big?...'I Wanna Hold Your Hand.' First single. Fucking brilliant. Perhaps the most fucking brilliant song ever written. Because they nailed it. That's what everyone wants. Not 24/7 hot wet sex. Not a marriage that lasts a hundred years. Not a Porsche...or a million-dollar crib. No. They wanna hold your hand. They have such a feeling that they can't hide. Every single successful song of the past fifty years can be traced back to 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand.' And every single successful love story has those unbearable and unbearably exciting moments of hand-holding.” 966 likes
“I Wanna Hold Your Hand.’ First single. Fucking brilliant. Perhaps the most fucking brilliant song ever written. Because they nailed it. That’s what everyone wants. Not 24-7 hot wet sex. Not a marriage that lasts a hundred years. Not a Porsche or a blow job or a million-dollar crib. No. They wanna hold your hand. They have a feeling that they can’t hide.” 966 likes