Start by marking “Thomas and the Dragon Queen” as Want to Read:
Thomas and the Dragon Queen

Thomas and the Dragon Queen

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  48 reviews
A kingdom is at war.
A princess has been kidnapped by a dragon queen.
A brave squire volunteers to set out on a quest to rescue her.
But there's just one small problem. He's Thomas, the shortest of all the squires. With little more than a donkey, a vest, and a sword, Thomas will have to use all of his courage and determination to battle a beast with many heads, reach a forbid
Published July 13th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Thomas and the Dragon Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thomas and the Dragon Queen

Charlyn  Trussell
Aug 21, 2011 Charlyn Trussell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades 3 and up
When Sir Gerald arrives at Thomas' home due to an accident, the knight recognizes the small boy's skills and asks that Thomas accompany him back to the castle and become his page. Thomas is height-challenged and he is often the target of jeers from the other boys in training, but he progresses to become a squire. He finds a friend in Jonathan, a young boy who cares for the animals. The kingdom is at war and too soon Thomas finds himself accompanying Sir Gerald to the battlefield. Thomas' braver ...more
Reading Vacation
REVIEW
Are you looking for some adventure? Do you enjoy stories about knights and dragons? How about we throw in some sea monsters and an unexpected hero? You’ll get all of that and more in Thomas and the Dragon Queen.
This middle grade book tells the charming tale of Thomas, a tiny squire who does big things for his kingdom. Boys and girls alike will be drawn to this story. Danger and battles for the boys – a kidnapped princess and a dragon queen for the girls. That’s right – I said dragon QUEEN.
Debbie McNeil
A fully-developed unique fantasy appropriate for younger readers but not as young as the font, cover and illustrations suggest.
Samantha Hastings
A charming little adventure.
Deborah
Thomas is the oldest of several brothers and sisters. He is also pretty small for his age. He loves to hear his father tell stories of knight school, although his father never finished. Now the kingdom is at war and Sir Phillip, a knight, is passing through. He stops at Thomas' home and Thomas is more than happy to become his page. Thomas takes the steps to become a knight, and when the princess is stolen by the dragon queen, the king knights him because he is one of the few squires not at the b ...more
Ms.Gaye
Thomas is small for his age. Although he's 12 years old, people often think he is younger than that. They certainly don't think he has the skills to be a knight! Thomas is eager at first to prove his abilities, but after a while Thomas begins to doubt himself - he can't manage the heavy sword of a knight and he is too short to ride a horse.
He doesn't giveup though and one day he finds himself in the presence of the King. It turns out the King needs Thomas to serve as a knight...and not for any o
Kelsey
Thomas and the Dragon Queen was a delightful and exciting middle grade novel that will bring smiles to the faces of any and all readers.

I rarely delve into the middle grade genre, mainly because there are so many great YA books waiting to be devoured, but I am so glad I had the opportunity to read and review this one. Thomas was a brave and well developed main character, and I loved reading about his different adventures. First of all his family, they were a well rounded and endearing group and
Patrice Sartor
I initially discovered this book on one of those lists of 'best kid books for 2010' or something similar. I put it as one of the options for me to read to the boys', and it was quickly selected. We all liked it, and I have since noticed Trevor acting out some of the dragon interactions that we read. It was a very cute tale--you can't help but love Thomas. He's short for his age, kind, brave, fearless and honest. An all-around super nice boy.

Thomas goes through many trials and tribulations on his
Kelli
What a great story, with a wonderful unlikely hero, a princess that defies the stereotype and though the quest is the stuff of amazing adventures, the hero feels very real emotions rather than the author romanticizing some very difficult situations. Great for small children (even my three year old sat through this story, read over the course of a week and a half at bedtime). My Five year old daughter loved it, and though it was filled with mythical creatures and fairy tale happenings (dragons an ...more
Susan Hoffer
Reading this to my 7YO at bedtime I thought I was hilarious and called it Thomas and the Drag Queen until the conversation about lifestyle choices was spurred by the inevitable question of "what is a drag queen?" The kid will never look at drag queens or dragons the same again. But hopefully he is now more worldly and accepting in his views of others. Who knew reading could open so many doors for conversation? Ok, we all knew mommy's sense of humor would. So is the next step in his education a t ...more
Lissa Davies
Thomas fits the usual requirements for a fantasy hero; he’s tiny, inexperienced in the art of fighting, and can’t even hold a sword. He’s also only 12, however, all of the real knights are off fighting the enemy and there’s no one else available to go and save the princess from the dragon queen. So Thomas sets off, doubting himself all the way (pun intended). After many trials and adventures, Thomas finds the dragon’s lair, and discovers that none of the many things he has learned on his journey ...more
Elizabeth S
What a nice little book! While the general plot and moral seems rather same-old-same-old (namely size-doesn't-matter and just-because-you-don't-have-showy-talents-doesn't-mean-you-don't-have-gifts), the story has a fresh feel to it that keeps it alive. I like the world-building--not too complex for a middle-grade fantasy, and yet with interesting and creative detail.

The pictures, in my opinion, did not match the book. Personally, I would have preferred some rich, realistic art that would have g
Gage
a story about a boy who rescuese a knight then becomes a knight saves a princess dragons talk ect a true fantisy
Debbie Tanner
This fairy tale takes a long time to get interesting but once it does, it's really great. Thomas is the oldest son in a very big family. He's also smaller than most kids his age so people assume he's younger than he is. He's really good at helping out in his family but would like to be a knight. So one day, a knight stumbles into their neighborhood, Thomas jumps at the chance to go and serve the king. When the princess gets stolen by the dragon queen, it seems unlikely that someone as small as T ...more
Childrens Librarian
I think I should give this 3 1/2 stars. I like it a lot for those 2nd-4th graders who want fantasy and are past CATWINGS but not ready for Lloyd Alexander. The story is very straightforward, and the type is large with lots of white space. The writing is very direct but the details are good, the hero an endearing one and the story ends happily. The cover put me off for several weeks, and I don't think the tone of the art matches the tone of the story, but I know this one, with some hand-selling, ...more
Pam
Apr 18, 2012 Pam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
What a delightful book! This is a great book for young boys who are just into chapter books and are looking for an adventurous story that will pull them along. Thomas, the son of a leatherworker, is chosen by Knight Gerald to be his squire and subsequently is promoted when he goes off to save Princess Eleanor from the Dragon. This is a great book for boys who like adventure and their parents who would like to minimize their exposure to unnecessary violence. Thanks to Shutta Crum for a great work ...more
Emmaleigh
After reading a quick summary of the book I assumed it would be sort of a tale based off of classic characters such as don quixote which in some ways it was. They story was extremely predictable and I did not find the writing style enjoyable. I skimmed most pages since the unnecessary pictures in the book give away the entire story. There was never a point where I couldn't wait to read more, it was a continual state of wanting to get to the ever predictable ending and check it off my list.
Karen Arendt
It took me a while to get into this story- until Thomas actually goes on his quest for the dragon. I enjoyed how Thomas consistently stood up for himself, despite others thinking he would fail. I also like the interaction with the dragon a lot. While a first or second grader would not be able to tackle this story on their own, I think the story would appeal to that grade level the most. This story would work well as a compare contrast with My Father's Dragon.
Lacey
What a great book! Being small in stature myself I especially enjoyed the lesson that it doesn't matter how big you are, but what you do and how you do it! Thomas is a great character and teaches kids many great lessons while on his quest to save the princess. Love books like this that are simply enjoyable to read! I will definitely be looking to see if there are other books by this author and my kids will absolutely be reading this book!
Barbara Stroer
This current Sunshine state book is my favorite for the summer so far. I think it would be appropriate for a third or fourth grader. It was a very sweet story about a small boy who becomes a knight because of his bravery. He sets out to rescue the king's daughter who has been kidnapped by a dragon. When he finds the princess and the dragons, he realizes they are not what he expected. I think any child would like this story.
Julie
Kids liked this more than I did. Some good realistic "this is how it was when knights lived" stuff, but then it suddenly went over into dragon fighting, and the transition seemed a bit clunky to me. Still, good unlikely hero in Thomas, and good growth-of-main-character stuff. Plus nice things as far as not taking things at face value. I guess it seemed a bit simplistic in all its themes to me.
Tracy Hubbard

A good fantasy for the younger readers. I like the title character (he helps out with his brothers and sisters!) and the writing style (looks like a long chapter book, but good writing makes the story fun and easy to read). Thomas is from a large family and given an opportunity to train with a local knight, of course he goes to the castle and comes upon all kinds of good adventures.
Wendi
Excellent beginning adventure book for new chapter book readers. The illustrations belie the excellent character development and surprising plot. It is long. I read it aloud to my 3rd grader and she read several chapters on her own as a result of not wanting to wait for me. Thomas, the undersized main character, turns out to embody all the best qualities of a knight.
LandOLakes Library
Kathy
2-4th grade. A great adventure as young Thomas is pressed into a quest to rescue a princess, riding a donkey and wearing a cork-lined vest instead of armor. Boys will like the desperate fight against the bog monster, while grownups will like the ending, where Thomas shows his bravery by talking and understanding to provide the solution rather than blood and gore.
Patrick
I read parts of this book to my son and then, as he finished it on his own, I decided to reread it on my own. A very nice read, really enjoyed it. Some nice basic illustrations, very simple, added to the story. A small boy comes of age and shows that it's not the size of the boy that's important but the size of his heart.
Becca
Jan 18, 2011 Becca added it
This was actually even more adorable than I initially thought it would be. I liked how the author turned the final battle into something that fit Thomas perfectly, though I wish his sword had gotten a little bit more screen time when it fulfilled its destiny.
Abby
Really fast read--good for knight adventure fans who are not ready for Gerald Morris or Blood Red Horse. I still prefer Tamora Pierce for her blend of action, humor, and emotions, but could recommend this for a beginning fantasy reader.
Wendy
I loved this book! For some reason, I expected it to be a picture book, and was surprised when it turned out to be J Fic. I adore Sir Thomas and the Dragon Queen, and I hope he has more adventures in a second book soon!
Shenek
My six year old loved it. My three year old loved the pictures and paid attention to some of it. My eight year old enjoyed it. My husband and I were glad our kids liked it.... (more depth please).
  • Double Dog Dare
  • The Wish Stealers
  • Fake Mustache
  • Floors
  • The Adventures of Beanboy
  • The Sasquatch Escape (The Imaginary Veterinary, #1)
  • The Year of the Book
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel [Divided By] 1 Dog = Chaos
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Touch Blue
  • Aliens on Vacation
  • Glory Be
  • A Whole Nother Story
  • Jeremy Bender vs. the Cupcake Cadets
Shutta Crum, an award-winning writer of books for children and poetry for adults, is a storyteller and a retired youth librarian who was awarded the Mich. Library Assoc. Award of Merit as youth librarian of the year (2002). She is also an educator who taught writing at the high school and college level, and to third-graders under the auspices of the Mich. Council for the Arts. Currently her presen ...more
More about Shutta Crum...
Mine! Thunder-Boomer! Dozens of Cousins The Bravest of the Brave Spitting Image