10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management

10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Written for anyone who suffers from "time famine", this essential handbook provides simple, effective methods for successfully taking control of one's hours--and one's life. Smith shows how, by managing time better, anyone can lead a happier, more confident and fulfilled life.
Published November 15th 2008 by Business Plus (first published January 1st 1994)

Belcantomom
If this book had been just the first half, I would have liked it *much* better. Hyrum Smith has some great ideas...unfortunately none of them have anything to do with communication. I loved the idea of writing out your values and planning your dailies based on those values. Also the idea that no two people will have the same values. I would like to do those exercises with my husband and then compare. It would give insight.

Then, he talked about how to get people to act in accordance with "better"...more
Anne
Mar 15, 2012 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to find their focus
Recommended to Anne by: Hendrick's Automotive Saturn of Cerritos Management Team
Shelves: favorites
Before Covey, there was Smith, and as far as I have seen from Covey's books, Smith did it better. I appreciate Smith's humanity and personalization to the process of finding my priorities and goals and feel that Covey lost that in his effort to bring the idea to the masses.

Smith's book was an easy read, emotionally leading me through thoughts I would have otherwise avoided in my search for the final goals and priorities in my life. While I initially read this in the mid-90s, I have reread it at...more
Natalie
I gave this book 4 stars even though I didn't LOVE all of the book. The insights that were good were really good enough for me to say the book is a worthwhile read. The beginning of the book talks a lot about how we have to be clear about our values before determining long range goals which we break down to short range goals and then to daily tasks. It isn't that much different of an idea from many other books but I guess maybe he presented it in a way that made me think differently. There was a...more
Joseph McBee
I picked up this book on the recommendation of a friend. He told me that the first half of the book was excellent, "but you can probably skip the second half". His assessment was right on target.

I got a lot out of the first half of the book, which covers values, goals, strategic planning and time management. This material is seminal in that I have seen Smith's ideas and best practices recycled and repeated by many others in the field of personal and professional development. However, as is alway...more
Cara
Still on introduction, which says "read this even if you don't read anything else!" but so far it's really boring, lots of blah blah blah about the guy's career and how he started his business. Don't care. Usually I'm a fan of case studies, but come on, pages and pages of your own boring history in the introduction? Hm, maybe this is why I usually skip introductions.

...

This turned out to be a really good book. Premise: your values should determine your long-range goals, which should determine yo...more
Travis
I'm a big fan of Hyrum Smith and used to have a Franklin Planner. This book has many of his other stories, and I liked what he had to say about time and life (since life is built of time) and what you need to do to have your life in order. Sadly, I've now moved on past a Franklin Planner, but I still liked the book and the principles. They still influence how I plan my day, my goals, and my "To-Do" lists.
Rob
I have read this book several times and always get something out of it. Hyrum Smith offers great advise and practical methods for time management, goal setting, and prioritizing. While I have yet to consistently use these principals daily, the times I have used them have made and incredible difference in my life. There is a strange euphoria you get when you are in complete control of your time and life.
James Affleck
Apr 02, 2009 James Affleck rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
This book has helped me out a lot. I have become far more organized thanks to this textual treat. I've learned to plan my day and also realize that the way I choose to spend my time each and every day reflect on my values and what's most important to me so I should spend my time doing things that are most important in the long run. I recommend this book to anyone who's very unorganized.
Eric Herr
I found Hyrum Smith's book to be full of valuable information. Much of it is fairly obvious when read but the methods Smith outlines to create priorities, organize schedules, and evaluate self-success are useful and allow one to prioritize multiple aspects in life. I quick read and valuable to anyone who is looking to gain some alignment is their personal and professional lives.
Mark
I love this introductory material.

The shadow by my finger cast
Divides the future from the past.
Behind its unreturning line,
The vanished hour, no longer thine,

Before it lies the unknown hour,
In darkness and beyond thine power,
One hour alone is in thine hands,
The now on which the shadow stands.

From a sundial at Wellesley College.
quoted p. viii
Mary
My husband has thrust this book upon me. It sits in the bathroom but I must admit that what I've read so far seems to make sense. Since I'm not in any business I don't think of it in business terms and the business part is a little boring to me but the principles so far seem to make sense. I like my chaotic unorganized life though.
MelissaB
After reading 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management countless times in the last 18 years, I can honestly say that it's the most influential secular book I have. It is certainly well loved and marked in many places. Thank you for making a difference in my life, Hyrum Smith. All the best to you.
Andrew
My sister Jenny is reading this book via a financial advisor/counselor's recommendation. As we are both struggling for purpose, she suggested I read it as well. I am. It seems to be specifically tailored to people with an office job, but I am trying to glean what benefits I may.
Kerrin
Hyrum Smith has a great way of understanding how to find out what your governing values are and then make sure everyday is working within those values and finding inner peace through that process. Great ideas about how to not let time robbers control your day. Really helpful.
Lucy
This book gives excellent advice on how to plan your schedule and to-do list based on your core values and goals. I have put many of these things into practice, but have also felt mentally and spiritually exhausted from trying to be as disciplined as the author.
Dewey Norton
At the time I read this, Franklin and Covey were separate companies. In many ways Smith in this book is talking about the same things that Covey deals with in First Things First. I find the two books highly complementary in providing better insights.
Lisa
Love this book! He's kinda into Jesus and a lot of the suggestions are for people with corporate america, day jobs but the techniques are easily applied to any situation. We all need more time! It totally works - already feel so organized.
Lucas Remmerswaal
it's been a while since I've read this book, but remember listening to the cassette tapes of the book many times, every time I felt inspired by Hyrum Smith's timeless natural laws.
Love this book. I first read it ten years ago and am a big devotee of the Franklin Quest system. It was great to re-read this recently and reincorporate some things.
Kathy
The first part was basic time management -Franklin/Covey type information. The second part took the laws much deeper.
Gary
I liked this book! It was a good read. It was easy to follow and understand and more importantly, to implement!
Lori Grant
A must-read book on time management which is a critical competency as you manage your career or startup.
Chris Ruby
Mar 12, 2013 Chris Ruby rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Chris by: Self
Talks about living and structuring your life according to your values and your principles. Must read.
Anirudh
The book gave some prespective on values and beliefs which were lacking in my life.
Dave Jones
This book motivated me to carry a Franklin planner. I did this for over 10 years.
Simon
Jul 03, 2008 Simon rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No
I used to work for Franklin Covey and I never read the book through, so now I did.
Janette
Loved this as much as Habits of Highly Effective People! A great read!
Tunisia Bettis
Once you get to the end of the book it gets better.
Jacqui Jacoby
Great book to help you get ready for the new year.
I need to actually make what I learned HABIT.
  • Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership
  • The Procrastinator's Handbook: Mastering the Art of Doing It Now
  • Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • 25 Ways to Win with People: How to Make Others Feel Like a Million Bucks
  • Focal Point: A Proven System to Simplify Your Life, Double Your Productivity, and Achieve All Your Goals
  • Time Management from the Inside Out: The Foolproof System for Taking Control of Your Schedule--and Your Life
  • Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success: The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • The Magic of Believing
  • Top Performance: How to Develop Excellence in Yourself and Others
  • The Power of Focus
  • The On-Purpose Person: Making Your Life Make Sense
  • Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Getting Things Done
  • Trump 101: The Way to Success
What Matters Most: The Power of Living Your Values Pain Is Inevitable, Misery Is Optional Where Eagles Rest Advanced Day Planner User's Guide The Modern Gladiator: Increasing Productivity in the Digital Age