Eye of the Storm

Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  7,462 ratings  ·  69 reviews

Former allies in the IRA, Sean Dillon and Martin Brosnan have chosen different paths. Now Dillon is a terrorist for hire, a master of disguise employed by Saddam Hussein. Brosnan is the one man who knows Dillon’s strengths and weaknesses…and brilliant mastery of espionage. Once friends, now enemies, they are playing the deadliest game of their careers. A game that culminat

Published July 1st 1993 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Eye of the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye of the Storm

Christine Blachford
Very mixed feelings on this one. As an action/adventure thriller, it’s certainly intriguing enough to sustain interest throughout. It’s a unique style in which the protagonist is the bad guy, and whilst there is almost equal time given to those hunting him down, I think we’re supposed to root for the terrorist here. I suspect he becomes less bad in subsequent books, but here we’re talking about a guy that signs up to kill one or more leading figures in British Parliament in the late 80s/early 90...more
Retarius
Jun 04, 2008 Retarius rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Having read The Eagle Has landed, and having my expectations high, I was amazed to discover that old Jack only had one book in him! This and several others among his efforts show a recycling of the same character types, story lines: I can't figure why he hasn't been denounced loudly for it. I read a few and came to believe I could write a Jack Higgins novel myself using his templates. Unlike Jack, I won't be so cruel. Don't bother reading anything he wrote apart from "Eagle".
Aseem Achintya
masterpiece. first Dillon book i read. i dont have a copy though. theres little i wouldnt do to get a library edition or even a hardback of this or its renamed version: Midnight Man.
Danny M
Jack Higgins The story is very interesting. The story is written in typical Jack Higgins format. It is a novel about an IRA hit man Sean Dillion who goes public for hire. The story is very fast paced and easy to read. The book is one in a series featuring the villain Sean Dillion who becomes a very likeable character. The name of the books in the Sean Dillion series are listed below. It seems all the Jack Higgins novels follow a similar story line, and if you enjoy his writing style you will enj...more
Angus Whittaker
Sean Dillon (the protagonist of this series)is a really interesting, dynamic character. He appears to be relatively normal in personality - just a little, quiet man who likes tea - but he's really a hardened killer who has worked for just about every terrorist organization on the map. Despite his mercenary terrorism, Dillon is actually a likeable guy - but so is Brigadier Ferguson, Martin Brosnan, and the others who are trying to hunt Dillon down. This provides a very interesting dilemma for the...more
Kelanth, numquam risit ubi dracones vivunt
Aprendo questo libro la prima cosa che dovrebbe salire agli occhi del lettore dovrebbe essere una nube di fumo.

Non ho mai visto così tanti personaggi (tutti e dico tutti) accendersi una sigaretta prima o poi nel libro, alle volte due nella stessa pagina. Se non fosse un thriller (?) bisognerebbe credere che se non fossero le palottole ad uccidere qua e la qualche comparsa ci penserebbe il fumo di sigaretta, non che io sia di principio contrario al fumo, ma un'esagerazione è un'esagerazione.

A p...more
Richard
I'm not one for reading back to back books of the same author, but having enjoyed 'The Eagle has Landed' so much (my first Higgins novel) I went straight into the first of the anti-hero Sean Dillon series, Eye of the Storm. It turned out to be an inspired decision. The story was well scripted and based around a factual mortar attack on 10 Downing St, the British Prime Minister's residence. I was unsure about the main character, Dillon, being an ex-IRA terrorist and all round 'bad guy' and althou...more
Alison
This is my Jack Higgins book and I found it very entertaining, for a spy thriller - and guess what, it didn't require special effects - I wish Hollywood would take note. Adults can be entertained using their minds and imagination. In this story, Sean Dillion, a man of 1000 faces, is paid handsomely to murder someone high in the British government. His attempt to carry out the dastardly deed on the Prime Minister fails so he goes after the British War Cabinet-that's right, the entire cabinet. Thi...more
Oni
A fast food book. Actually I read this book just because I get bored, and I want I light snack. And that's what I get. A light snack.

The story is about a hit man, ex IRA enforcer, Sean Dillon. After disassociating with IRA, he became a hired gun, for anyone who can afford him. The background of the story is the First Gulf War, during Bush Senior administration. He was hire by Saddam Hussein regime to make a big hit, big enough to startle the West.

The story is quick-paced, you can read it without...more
patrycja polczyk
David S.
Decided to start another series while on vacation.

Higgins (an author I've never read before) has a brilliant hero, or anti-hero if you will, in Sean Dillion. I couldn't imagine having the same respect for this character back in 1991, when the first gulf war was full on. I would have wanted this little Irish potato head tarred and feathered, after being quartered!

But, 20 plus years later, things have quieted down and readers are more inclined to see the anti-hero's POV much more clearly.

This is...more
**syabil**
the book that i read is about history of the mortar attack on number te downing street when the war cabinet was meeting st ten a.m on thursday,7feb191...dillion ,the main character of the story killed fahy.it was hit and run incident i think...i am not sure about this..in the end what dillion wanted to do was a success.

the story by jack higgins was not that good.most of his story was about killing his story ,i think is more for adult to read and nt for teenagers to read.this is because i need to...more
Rebecca
I have read the Sean Dillon's out of order and started a bit later on. In the other books they briefly mention about how he came to work for Brigadier Ferguson and I've always been curious. So finding book 1 was brilliant as it made it all clear. I must admit I do find the character Dillon really likeable and I also like Liam Devlin who crops up in the book as well. Higgins has an easy to read writing style that makes you just keep reading and enjoying it. I am going straight on to book 2 to fin...more
Berke
Steven Adams
The first book in the Sean Dillon series is a decent Higgins book without being one of his best.
Gareth Egerton
Appalling, cliche ridden, pile of dross. (I didn't originally write "dross")
Jim
One of the only series I've ever read hit-or-miss and out of order, and I'm going back to the beginning to read (in order, this time) the ones that I've missed. This was a solid debut, but once again a pretty lame (and completely avoidable) plot move on Higgins's part tarnished the resolution for me. Since I've read more recent titles in the series, I knew that a certain protagonist survived, but I didn't know until now how/why he survived, and the reason was/is ... lame. But it was a fun read,...more
Gerard Conway
An admittedly guilty pleasure. Higgins is a marvelous writer of breakneck adventure. His plots don't stand up to close examination and aren't intended to do so -- his books are candy bars, good for a sweet sugar rush, non-nutritional but fun. Do not consume in quantity.
Jehan
i don't know
Stu
In my opinion not as good as "A Fine Night For Dying". This book was slower and the end not very well thought out. Apparently, the British Defense Ministry doesn't own any helicopters or plans, or at least no access to them, in order to head off the bad guys. It's a wonder they can do anything correctly, which in this book they didn't.

Jack Higgins' "hero" Sean Dillon leaves a lot to be desired. He seemed pretty slow on the uptake and always to late to the party.
Martin Warner
Good yarn - rattled through it in very quick time

Will probably read the others in the collection but need a rest between each one...
Doug Dams
This is an exciting thriller. It's fast paced and well written. It's the first book in the Sean Dillon series. In this book he's a hit man hired by an Iraqi to kill a major British leader. His plotting and the race to stop him makes for an exciting book. But, I'm curious how such a ruthless, unremorseful killer can be turned into a hero for the rest of this series. But, I'm definitely going to read more from Jack Higgins, and especially this series.
Beth Schneider
Yet another book by Jack Higgins where I felt he totally phoned it in. I understand the desire to build a series around one character or a group of characters. However, if you do so, it's required that you at least make the stories different. There were several times in this book where he simply inserted a scene from one of his previous books and just changed the name. This is the last book of his that I'll be reading.
Matt
Two stars but...I will probably read the whole series! I just cannot bring myself to recommend these books to anyone else. I love them for what they are. Simple, fast paced brain candy. But, if you want characters who can draw a gun faster than Billy the Kid, drink like fish never feeling the effects of the alcohol and all pilot any airplane they see, this is the book and the author for you.
Linda
The book just previous to “Thunder Point”, this gave me more insight into Irish terrorist Sean Dillon and his methods, which include much killing – i.e. anyone who gets in his way. Dillon is hired by Iraqis during the Gulf War to kill Margaret Thatcher. The attempt fails and the chase is on; later Dillon attempts of blow up 10 Downing Street during a war cabinet meeting.

Blake Bowen
Plot: Sean Dillon is a terrorist for hire. He has been hired by Saddam Hussein to do something big to show that they are not to be screwed with.

My opinion: It was alright. Most of the characters seemed bland,but the plot was half-way suspenseful. Dillon was an alright protagonist,but not great.

My Rating: 3.1/5
Bonnie
I started the series with Sean Dillon as a main character midway through and enjoyed them so much on audiobook that I decided to go back to the beginning and read or listen to up to where I started. In this book Dillon is basically working as a hitman, employed by the Iraqis to assassinate the British Prime Minister.
Travis
I liked this book a lot.It will keep you guessing until the end.Also,The terrorist for hire named Sean Dillion is planning on assassinating,the leaders of Britain,but can he do it?He is a heartless man,and appears to be the best at what he does,he also wants to set fire to the world.
Lori
It was interesting enough to finish, but Sean Dillon, the main character, remained an enigma. I didn't love it enough to seek out more from this author. The story was told, but the characters would need to be more finely drawn to really blow my skirt up. Sorry.
  • The Cabal
  • Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne, #7)
  • The Deceiver
  • The Fighting Agents (Men At War, #4)
  • The Cry of the Halidon
  • The Last Frontier
  • The Fourth Order
  • The Matlock Paper
  • Deep Black (Deep Black, #1)
  • Alistair MacLean's Night Watch
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • Never Send Flowers (John Gardner's Bond, #13)
  • Spy Sinker (Bernard Samson, #6)
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan...more
More about Jack Higgins...
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3) The Eagle Has Flown