Start by marking “Biloxi Blues” as Want to Read:

Biloxi Blues (Eugene #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  625 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Full Length, Comic Drama / Casting: 6m, 2f / Scenery: Various sets

Tony Award Best Play 1985

The second in Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Neil Simon's trilogy which began with Brighton Beach Memoirs and concluded with Broadway Bound. When we last met Eugene Jerome, he was coping with adolescence in 1930's Brooklyn. Here, he is a young army recruit during WW II, going th

Published July 12th 1986 by Random House (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Biloxi Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biloxi Blues

Hana
I feel bad for rating this only 1 star because it's like telling Neil Simon "I hate your life." since this is based on his experiences. This comedy really isn't my type of humor. I hated all the characters except Eugene, Daisy, and Epstein (Maybe you're supposed to...?). There are some redeeming scenes, but all in all, the characters are disgusting and vulgar.
Maybe my hopes were set too high for this play. I had heard of the legendary comedic playwright and was expecting something hilariously f...more
Ian
Biloxi Blues is about a group of soldiers from various parts of the U.S, including some fron New York, who go to get trained to fight in World War II on a military base in Biloxi, Mississippi. The narrartor of the play is a Jewish soon-to-be soldier from Brighton Beach, New York named Eugene. The conflicts throughout the play are mainly caused by one or two mean soldiers in the group, but it's interesting to see how the soldiers get along. The interactions between the soldiers of the story is th...more
Neil Schleifer
The second of Simon's Eugene Morris Jerome trilogy is surprisingly much deeper and far more serious than either BRIGHTON BEACH MEMOIRS or BROADWAY BOUND.

Eugene, the narrator of all three plays, takes almost a backseat in this one -- hanging in the periphery as a variety of well drawn characters step forward to deals with issues of identity -- authority (the nature of taking and receiving orders when you question their moral exactitiude), ethnic (dealing with stereotypes of Southerners, New Yorke...more
Jamilla Rice
I have always loved the film version of this play, so when I found the book on a Goodwill shelf, I thought it was a sign. Apparently the sign didn’t say “Urgent”, because I did not get to reading the play itself for quite a few years. Most of the play is the same as the movie version except for the ending and the movie’s expansion of the relationship between Jerome and Daisy. It’s sweet, yet sad, as any “coming-of-age” tale always is, except the sadness here is exacerbated by the threat of immin...more
Boni
The second instalment in Neil Simon's Eugene Trilogy. Eugene Jerome is now an army recruit training in Biloxi, Mississippi. Eugene who aspires to be a writer keeps a journal to record his experiences in the training camp, which is ruled by the sadistic Sergeant Merwin J. Toomey. Neil Simon is a unique playwright for he has the dexterity to combine comedy with drama, laughter and sentimentality.
Robert
I like Neil Simon plays. Interestingly, and in contrast to most other plays I like, I have read very few of them. I have seen quite a number of them on stage and of course on film. Simon, however, was not a playwright that I studied.

In 1985 or 86, my parents took me to see this at the Neil Simon Theatre in New York. They too were Simon fans. I think it helped that Biloxi was in the title, as my grandfather had been stationed there. Matthew Broderick starred in that. I knew him from War Games. Ap...more
Kaethe
I find the autobiographical plays are less appealing than his earlier comedies.
Emmett Spain
The second of Neil Simon's autobiographical plays about his life in the army, Biloxi Blues takes our protganist and a small crew of loveable army grunts to Biloxi, Mississippi for basic training. A mass of one-liners, well drawn characters and some surprisingly poignant moments follow, in what is an easily digestible comedy with surprising substance (or unsurprising for those familiar with Neil Simon's work).
☯Emily
I'd love to share with you why I thought this book was just okay. However, as I'm not sure how I might step over Goodread's invisible line for appropriate, on-topic content, I will refrain until such time as the guidelines are made clear, easily accessible, and announced to all members.

Katie
I'm really not a Neil Simon fan, but I had to read this over and over again for my Stage Management class. I'm glad I did, because it was far more entertaining and interesting than what I expected.
Alex
I gotta admit, Brighton Beach Memoirs was alot better than this one. It was not that interested. I believe that this book was the sequel to Brighton Beach Memoirs.
Dave Cotton
Interesting for its autobiographical elements, but not as much fun as Brighton Beach Memoirs. Rather serious considering Simon's rep as a writer of comedy.
Andrew
Such a great play. Sgt. Toomey is a great character.
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Linnea
Linnea is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2014
Zac
Zac marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Emily Fassler
Emily Fassler marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
David
David added it
Sep 14, 2014
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
  • Picnic
  • Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead - Acting Edition
  • Dinner With Friends
  • Fifth of July
  • Three by Tennessee: Sweet Bird of Youth; The Rose Tattoo; The Night of the Iguana
Marvin Neil Simon is an American playwright and screenwriter. He is one of the most reliable hitmakers in Broadway history, as well as one of the most performed playwrights in the world. Though primarily a comic writer, some of his plays, particularly the Eugene Trilogy and The Sunshine Boys, reflect on the twentieth century Jewish-American experience.
More about Neil Simon...
The Odd Couple Brighton Beach Memoirs Barefoot in the Park Lost in Yonkers Rumors