Start by marking “Some Lie and Some Die” as Want to Read:
Some Lie and Some Die
Preview

Some Lie and Some Die (Inspector Wexford #8)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  989 ratings  ·  56 reviews
A mutilated body found at a rock festival.

In spite of dire predictions, the rock festival in Kingsmarkham seemed to be going off without a hitch, until the hideously disfigured body is discovered in a nearby quarry. And soon Wexford is investigating the links between a local girl gone bad and a charismatic singer who inspires an unwholesome devotion in his followers. Some
Published October 7th 2009 by Vintage (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Some Lie and Some Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Lie and Some Die

Stacey
I think maybe I need to take a break from Ruth for a bit to better appreciate her strengths. This particular novel has many of her hallmarks, but feels more dated given the setting--a seventies-era rock concert. The novel takes me back to old episodes of Ironsides and Hawaii 5-0 with the psychedelic camera work and the du. wacka, wacka sound track playing as the chief works his way throught the crime scene. As usual, Rendell uses an outside work to provide additional context to the mystery. This ...more
Jo
I love a good murder mystery and there are few better exponents of them than RR. However, as someone else said, a break from these books may be a good idea as it's all seeming just a bit too familiar. Still, love the 'order out of chaos' that a crime book brings. Nearing the end of the book now and, as usual, not at all sure who did it!
Kevin Bergeron
The second book I've read by this author, "Heartstones" being the first. This book was a bit of a disappointment, as I loved "Heartstones" and this seemed to me not of the same level. It's a competently constructed and readable detective story, but rather flat overall, with little in plot, character or narrative voice that make it stand out. It stays very much within the lines of genre, and I like a book that breaks out and defies expectations. There is one part near the end of the book that I t ...more
Jayne Clifford-Greening
The synopsis reads: ' " When the body of a brutally beaten girl is found in a quarry during a hedonistic hippy festival at Sundays near Kingsmarkham, Wexford is first on the scene. The victim's face has been pulped by the back-end of a bottle, but who, in this atmosphere of peace and love, could be capable of such violence?

The body is that of local girl turned stripper Dawn Stonor, but it is the unlikely link between this ill-fated and the mysterious folk-singer Zeno Vedast that piques Wexford's
Ellen
5.0 out of 5 stars A Captivating read, June 17, 2012
By Ellen Rappaport (Florida) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Some Lie and Some Die (An Inspector Wexford Mystery) (Paperback)
This is the 2nd mystery in the Inspector Wexford series that I've read and they are worlds apart. This story is not long at all as was thr other book in this series.

The premise (rock concert) would have been a mystery I would have ordinarily avoided but since it was an Inspector Wexford I gave it a try on CD.
Mark Stevens
Maybe not Ruth Rendell’s best, perhaps, but a middle-of-the-road entry is so much better than most. I have only read a half-dozen of Rendell’s (or so) but when I saw this title at a library book sale, for cheap, I grabbed it and immediately fell under her powerful spell. Rendell balances atmosphere, character and plot like few others. In other words, well. The Inspector Wexford stories I’ve read are solid and sturdy mysteries and start with analysis and deduction, of course, rather than action. ...more
Elizabeth
This was a nice and rather quick read.

I really enjoy it when Wexford waxes philosophical. Rendell always throws in some really good observations about human nature into her books.

The motive(s) and the entire breakdown by Wexford at the end of the book was really really good! I loved the way he pulled the 3 goof-offs together and told them the who, what, when, where, why and how of it all.
Hal
This is one of the weaker entries in Ruth Rendell's terrific Inspector Wexford series. She telegraphs the plot much more than usual. We don't get much in the way character development either. Unless -- like me -- you want to read the entire Wexford series you can probably skip this novel without missing much.
Irma
Ruth Rendell keeps you wondering

I've just finished the 3rd mystery in a row with detective Wexford and am hooked. I like him and his partner. I like the flaws and intelligence Wexford brings to the job, the story and the compassion he feels.
Ellen
Apr 02, 2008 Ellen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers who like suspense/detective stories
This was my first Inspector Wexford mystery. This book is much lighter and more traditional British detective fiction than Rendell's more recent books. Originally published in 1973, it has an Agathie Christie format, but it is more twisty than an average Christie. I liked it. It is simpler than modern detective/mystery stories in that it doesn't get into the flashy blood and DNA evidence. No multiple cliffhangers. The Inspector is a bit old-fashioned. The pace of the mystery seemed slow, followi ...more
Rena Sherwood
This is a serious fucked-up book obviously based on David Bowie and the Glastonbury Music Festival. However, it is one of the most original and memorable mysteries that I've ever read.
Laila
This one centers on a hippie music festival in the early 70's. Young woman found with her face bashed in, killed a few days before the concert started. Wexford and Burden are on the case. These mysteries are strangely addictive.
Nancy
A friend recommended Ruth Rendell to me. This is the first book of hers I've read so I jumped into a series in the middle somewhere. Some Lie and Some Die is a good quickie (181 pages) mystery. I enjoyed the relationship between Chief Inspector Wexford and Detective Inspector Burden and am looking forward to reading more in this series.

Not to be too picky, I wish Rendell had written a slightly longer book with a little more about the the actual murderer. I think the ending could still have been
Béatrice
Je retrouve toujours l'inspecteur Wexford avec plaisir.
Cathy
I do like a good "who dun it"! And this was no exception.
Jill Hutchinson
This book, which is really more of a short story was written in the 1970s and it shows...... the murder takes place at a rock/folk concert and the "hip" language of the characters date it rather badly. But Rendell still weaves a good tale as Wexford and Burdon are on the scene to investigate the seemingly senseless killing of a local girl who appears to have no connection with the major suspects. Of course, there is a connection but not one that the reader expects. A quick but satisfying read fr ...more
Oliver Clarke
A thoroughly satisfying whodunit
Carol
A more fulfilling mystery, although I have the feeling it’s still not her best. I found Wexford’s way of looking at the whole situation, the ins and outs of people’s relationships, their secrets and their desires, rather than just the blood spot on the wall remarkable. However, I think the revealing of the killer was a little disappointing. It’s a fairly short book and the killer is not truly the bad guy, but I just don’t think we were given enough insight into his thought-process to make the ki ...more
Kyrie
It was interesting to read about the Peace and Love movement in Britain. Although the book cover says its about rock stars and their groupies, it's really about one fictional rocker and his entourage. In truth, it's about Inspector Wexford thinking through a crime. It starts slowly, and Mike Burden really irritated me in the beginning, but he either mellows or I did through the tale. As for the solution itself, there's good reason why Rendell is called a master of the psychological suspense.
JodiP
I love these, good solid mysteries by Rendell. The characters are so well-drawn and the writing is a bit more sophisticated than most. I enjoying seeing the world through the lens of 40 years ago, when this book was published. The portrait of the narcissistic folk singer was so good, and again, sometimes there is no tidy justice, as there is not in this story. I'm glad there are so many Wexford books; I'm making my way through all of them.
Kathleen O'Nan
I like the fact that Inspector Wexford is open to the rock scene while poor Inspector Burden, who is much younger and who has teenage children, has to be dragged along.
Steve Wilson
Opening pages of the book caught my interest. rock stars, outdoor concerts in front of 80,000, flower children and of course a mysterious death. With the exception of he death part, this first few pages brought back memories of times during the 70's. While I did not think the rest of the book lived fully up to my hopes and expectations, it was still an entertaining read.
Alex Howard
There's only one or two dating references to records, but these aside, it's a book that's easily adapted to any time in the last fifty years or so. I think there's a little bit too much trying to get music from off the pages into your head, which is a struggle even for Ruth Rendell, but that aside, it's another lovely neat parcel for your enjoyment.
Diana Sandberg
Rendell surprises again, but not in a good way. This one is neither terrifying nor well written. The plot is absurd, the setting contrived and foolish, the characters unconvincing. Apparently the 70s were not a good time in her career. Had I read this first of hers, I should never have bothered with another. Bah.
Kirsti
Very dated in some ways (it was first published in 1973) but an excellent mystery.

In this book, Wexford is 60 and Burden is in his 40s or thereabouts. Interesting how Rendell kept the same main characters almost ageless while writing book after book about them over decades.
Catherine
My first Inspector Wexford novel - at least as far as I remember. While the description and setting are dated, it's an intriguing enough mystery and not gory enough to put off this squeamish reader who can't cope with some more up-to-date blood, guts and all crime novels.
Virginia Walter
How did I miss this early Inspector Wexford mystery? Set in the early 1970s, it involves a music festival on the grounds of a local man. A murdered girl is found on the site, and Wexford and Burden discover links to a popular singer and a local professor.
Amanda Patterson
Wexford has to investigate the death of a girl after a rock festival in Kingsmarkham.
The mutilated corpse is found in a quarry. Wexford has to find out if a famous singer is involved in the murder of the local girl.
Almost always worth 4/5
Melaszka
Ruth Rendell has written some really good books but, IMO, this is not one of them. I found most of the characters completely unbelievable and Rendell's attempt to capture pop culture as off-key and embarrassing as your dad trying to rap.
Florencia Quarneti
Wexford never disappoints me
  • The House of Stairs
  • The Wood Beyond (Dalziel & Pascoe, #15)
  • Kissed a Sad Goodbye (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #6)
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • Babel (Brock & Kolla, #6)
  • The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks, #4)
  • The Affair of the Blood-Stained Egg Cosy (Burford Family, #1)
  • The Ivory Dagger (Miss Silver, #18)
A.K.A. Barbara Vine

Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also writes under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, is an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries.
More about Ruth Rendell...

Inspector Wexford (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1)
  • A New Lease of Death (Inspector Wexford, #2)
  • Wolf to the Slaughter (Inspector Wexford, #3)
  • The Best Man to Die (Inspector Wexford, #4)
  • A Guilty Thing Surprised (Inspector Wexford, #5)
  • No More Dying Then (Inspector Wexford, #6)
  • Murder Being Once Done (Inspector Wexford, #7)
  • Shake Hands Forever (Inspector Wexford, #9)
  • A Sleeping Life (Inspector Wexford, #10)
  • Death Notes (Inspector Wexford, #11)
From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1) A Judgement in Stone The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19) A Sight for Sore Eyes Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)