Start by marking “The Hit List” as Want to Read:
The Hit List

The Hit List

Jamie Chadwick is straight. Determinedly straight. Or so he keeps telling himself. His small conference business is doing okay and, even though he looks after his ailing father, he loves living in the countryside and life is good. Sort of. But the arrival of old college friend, David Fenchurch, who’s just come out on the distinctly camp side of camp, together with Lucy Rei ...more
Published February 24th 2010 by Amber Allure (first published May 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Hit List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hit List

Arlena
Title: The Hit List
Author: Anne Brooke
Published: Amber Quill Press
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 4
Review:

"The Hit List" by Anne Brooke good contemporary read. You will find that this novel of the main character is trying to 'understand his sexual identity and also dealing with family crisis.' "The Hit List is a fast pace even though it is rather long. We find Jamie Chadwick is living a home taking care of his 'ill father' and also working from home. Things come to head when Jamie's friend from
Kassa
Apr 04, 2010 Kassa rated it really liked it
The Hit List came in for review described as an m/m romantic comedy, which suited my reading desires perfectly. The typically zany and quirky style I was expecting from the author – having read Pink Champagne and Apple Juice – is definitely in full force in The Hit List. Unfortunately it doesn’t really deliver as a romantic comedy since the humorous elements taper off early on and the story is really the main character’s struggle to understand his sexual identity while dealing with family crisis ...more
Suze
Feb 24, 2015 Suze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suze by: Won from author on HAH 2012
Rosie
May 02, 2015 Rosie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up. This was a hard book to mark. At 18% into the story I actually deleted it off my kindle. I was bored to death and really didn't think I could get into it...so I deleted it. But for some reason the characters wouldn't leave me, and two days later I reinstated it and started reading again. From that point on I couldn't put it down. Truthfully, I didn't find it much of a comedy at all...and I would have liked more of the romance at the end. I liked Jamie's struggle, and I real ...more
Elaine
Nov 03, 2015 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I read by this author. I must say I enjoyed it. At times it was a little slow, but a good story. The main character Jamie Chadwick needed to find out who he is. A hard choice to make in his life. This was a free read from Amazon.
Elisa Rolle
Oct 25, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2010 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Andy Frankham-Allen
Jul 11, 2010 Andy Frankham-Allen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
First of let me just say, Amber Quill might wish to rethink how they package their books. On the spine it says this is a Gay Erotic Romance, and it really isn’t. There’s very little in the way of erotica, other than a few references to sexual encounters between Jamie and Robert; the one time Anne Brooke does write a full blown sex-scene (if you can call it full blown), it’s done with such finesse and discretion that there’s very little chance of it being erotic. Which works way better, anyway. I ...more
Josephine Myles
Sep 28, 2010 Josephine Myles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, romance, contemporary
Holly
Jul 02, 2010 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best_2010
I am not fond of books where the MC dithers around unable to decide whether he’s gay or straight. And I prefer the main love interest to be there from Act 1. And I like sex scenes to be hot. So I was pretty lukewarm the first couple of chapters. Almost put the book down.

That would have been a serious mistake. I think it was the humor that kept me going and then I just got caught up in the complex, claustrophobic, angst-driven world of Jamie Chadwick.

Jamie lives at home with his father. He lacks
Anncleire
Aug 06, 2011 Anncleire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
The hit list è quello che sembra, una black list, una di quelle liste in cui scrivi le persone che odi e di cui vorresti liberarti.
In realtà è l'interessante storia di Jamie che in circa un anno, il tempo di svolgimento della storia, in qualche modo riesce a crescere. Lo potrei definire un romanzo di formazione visto che in qualche modo il protagonista compie un viaggio dentro se stesso, un viaggio per scoprire, accettare e vivere la sua sessualità con Robert che diventa il vero catalizzatore.
In
Eyre
This one is really a 2.5. I bought this book because it was described as a romantic comedy. That description was misleading. While the book was well-written and I could sympathize at times with the main character, I spent most of the book being frustrated with him, with his father, and with the people surrounding him. The amusing moments were few and far between. I think that some of the things that were meant to be funny just made me uncomfortable.

Jamie, the protagonist, is struggling with his
kasjo_peja
DNF at 20%. The part I read was confusing and chaotic. No clear direction of the plot, too many characters (I counted four new people coming to the town and causing major changes in Jamie's life) and writing style like verbal diarrhea. Most of the characters were two-dimensional and unlikable. The idea of Jamie's fantasy hit-list was not funny and didn't bring anything to the story.
2 stars and among them one solely for some interesting women characters.
Brandy
Jun 17, 2016 Brandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have a hard time not finishing a book once I start it, so I did finish this even though I couldn't get into it at all. I'm sure it would have been a great story, but I found that some parts were not relevant to the story and just kindda drug the book out longer than it should have been.
Faye
Oct 08, 2015 Faye rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had a hard time getting into this book.
Anne Barwell
Oct 28, 2010 Anne Barwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Sj Heckscher-Marquis
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I personally know and understand the frustration of looking after an elderly parent that one loves but doesn't quite have the best relationship with. I could definitely relate to Jamie. It's also a well written and engaging read that zips along at a great pace. A real page turner.
Snowtulip
Dec 09, 2010 Snowtulip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Like: Struggles of life - internalizing can lead to break down
Learning through struggles
Robert - wonderful mature gentleman

Dislike: Jaime - love/hate with him; drove me crazy most of the time
Just didn't leave me with a strong vibe
Chris Smith
Dec 27, 2010 Chris Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, 2010
Brilliantly funny - it hit my black English humour button on the nose!
Grandmat
Jun 19, 2012 Grandmat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, clever, and highly enjoyable.
Hrtnsoul28
Ksm2001
Ksm2001 marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Louan
Louan marked it as to-read
Krissy
Krissy added it
Donna
Donna added it
GormlessCow
GormlessCow rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Doris
Doris marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
  • Hanging Loose
  • The Cellmate
  • Windows in Time
  • Wings of Equity
  • Black Point (Black Point, #1)
  • King Perry (The Lost and Founds, #1)
  • Finding the Words
Anne Brooke lives in Surrey, UK. She is a multi-published author in a variety of genres, including gay erotic romance, fantasy, comedy, thrillers, biblical fiction and the occasional chicklit novel. Her fiction has been shortlisted for the Harry Bowling Prize (for novels set in London) and the Royal Literary Fund Scheme.

When not writing, she spends time in the garden attempting to differentiate be
More about Anne Brooke...