Start by marking “We're Going On A Picnic!” as Want to Read:
We're Going On A Picnic!

We're Going On A Picnic!

It was a perfect day for a picnic. Hen picked the berries, Goose picked the apples, and Duck picked the pears. Then they set out for the picnic. But young viewers will quickly discover that Hen, Goose, and Duck are not the only ones who like berries, apples, and pears! And as the picnic basket gets lighter and lighter, they will be laughing harder and harder.Since the publ ...more
Published March 1st 2002 by Greenwillow Books (first published February 19th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about We're Going On A Picnic!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We're Going On A Picnic!

June
Jul 21, 2015 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: librarians, parents and teachers
Chicken, Duck & Goose are going on a picnic, but are having trouble deciding where to have it. Be sure to keep an eye on mouse, squirrel and rabbit. Will have to try this next summer for my picnic story times. 8/30/11

Used it today for PJ Story Time and one little boy was really intrigued. I might use it tomorrow too. 6/26/12

Used in PJ Story Time. The girl seemed to get overexcited by the story? Her father thought she was just overtired from camp. 7/23/13

Used in PJ Story Time and was okay, ho
Tyler Jones
I read this book to group of two year olds and was quite surprised by what a positive reaction it got. I remember that when I was a child back in the seventies not liking this folk-art style of illustration, so I thought this book would not work very well. I was wrong. I am also surprised to see it is originally published in 2002 as this style of illustration has not been very popular since the last time the Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup. Anyway, the kids really liked it - perhaps because they ...more
Kenneth
Jan 15, 2017 Kenneth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Must keep up with the illustrations to understand the book. Funny and entertaining.
David
We're Going On A Picnic by Pat Hutchins follows Duck, Hen and Goose as they try to find a good place for a picnic, while their basket gets lighter, and readers see who is responsible.

Hutchins' detailed illustrations were made using pen and ink and felt-tipped markers, creating her trademark stylized art. My favorite images are title page, picking, field, up, down, hot, empty and across.

Hutchins tells this story of three cheerful, hungry friends who just don't notice their basket getting emptied
Alex Austin
Hutchins, Pat. "We’re Going on a Picnic!". China: Greenwillow Books, 2002. Print. Young Rhyme Book. Age 2-6. This book follows the adventures of a duck, goose, and hen as they try to have a picnic. They all bring their favorite foods but cannot agree on a place to eat and other animals take all the food. Then they restart and have a picnic. The artwork looks Swedish, meaning that it is very bright and looks more like a fairy tale style artwork. It is written in a sing-song like pattern that make ...more
Mary Sesar
Dec 16, 2011 Mary Sesar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, funny
This was a cute little book where three animals went hiking to find the perfect place to have their picnic. Each time they sat the basket down a little critter would hop in and take one of their foods.
I would use this book to help children realize that when you go on a picnic, stuff like this can happen. Critters come around when no one is near, and bugs get into their food like the little pests they are. They should always be careful and keep their food fully covered and safe.
Rebecca Snodgrass
You really have to watch what you are reading when it comes to this book. If you don't look at the pictures you miss the whole point of the story. The other animals sneaking in the basket is so cute. I also think its silly that they never noticed the basket getting lighter as their fruit is being eaten by animals. This would have to be for a younger class, but they would enjoy pointing the thieves out to you.
Amy Hughes
Mar 24, 2014 Amy Hughes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're Going on a Picnic is a cute story. It would be a good read aloud. Students would enjoy the story and think it is funny. The characters in the book are collecting items for the picnic but they do not realize that other animals also enjoy those items. They are slowly losing their items as they go on their walk for the picnic.
Miss Sarah
Mar 03, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
a suck, hen and a goose pack fruit to go on a picnic but they can't decide where to go. They keep walking but as they walk their basket gets lighter. Where could their fruit have gone, maybe to the squirrel, bunny and mouse following them? Cute but you have to really look at the pictures to get it so not for a big crowd.
Lora
Mar 16, 2012 Lora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm really giving these books what I think Lucy's rating would be... She wanted to read this one over and over again. I can't say I loved it quite that much (especially after the 500th reading), but she never got tired of it. Again, the story is simple but the pictures add a whole other element. I think that might be this author's trademark. Fun... and thankfully, short!
Mhm Storytelling
This book follows a Hen, Goose and Duck who pack a picnic. They end up losing their food and going in a circle. When they come back home, they have to repack the picnic and head out again.

Themes/topics: picnics, working together, getting lost?

Red Flags: none

Opportunity for interaction:
What is your favorite fruit? Who is stealing their food?
Edna
Goose, duck and chicken pick fruit, fill a basket and head out to find the perfect picnic spot unknowing that as they walk, little forest animals are helping themselves to all the food in the picnic basket.
Tara
Apr 27, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, kindergarten
This would be a great book to have a huge copy of. If I were reading this to the class I would have the students help me tell the story. I think that by showing a child how to read the pictures it will help them to read the words and understand.
Meredith
Aug 22, 2011 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I'm not super fond of the illustration style, but the story is fun, and it went over really well in story time.
Leah
Simple and cute story, but the details in the illustrations would be hard to share with an audience.
Melissa
I like the illustrations in this one, though the story is a little repetitive. That doesn't bother my 2-year-old niece! :)
Becca
Duck, Goose, and Hen decide to go on a picnic and they all pick their favorite fruits. But they can't agree on the best place to eat. They have some uninvited (and unnoticed) guests.
Andria
Mar 20, 2015 Andria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the silliness of this book and the kids love knowing what the main characters do not. The pictures are not my favorite.
Danielle Simmons
This is such a good book! The Hen, Duck, and Goose are so naive but it is in an adorable way. This book is nice about friendship and teamwork.
Yarb
Jul 25, 2016 Yarb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, kids-books
A gormless goose, a hapless hen and a dozy duck have their picnic pilfered by opportunistic critters. A simple tale raised above the average by Hutchins's patented artwork.
Karen Gibson
Karen Gibson rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Christine Turner
Christine Turner rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2009
Zoe Nelson
Zoe Nelson rated it liked it
May 10, 2013
Bridgette Elston
Bridgette Elston rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2016
Cheryl Espinosa
Apr 29, 2014 Cheryl Espinosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute. Kids loved it.
Amanda_DJ n' Zac
Amanda_DJ n' Zac rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2012
Becky Royce
Becky Royce rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Betsy
classic story.

a bit dated but also those are sometimes the best.
Ying-Wen
Ying-Wen rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2013
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • Spring Is Here
  • The Farmer's Away! Baa! Neigh!
  • Puffin Peter
  • This Little Chick
  • I Don't Want a Posh Dog
  • Spots, Feathers, and Curly Tails
  • Wild Boars Cook
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Tweak Tweak
  • Mommies Say Shhh!
  • I Know a Rhino
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
Pat Hutchins is an English illustrator and writer of children's books.

She won the 1974 Kate Greenaway Medal from the Library Association, recognising the year's best children's book illustration by a British subject. The work was The Wind Blew, a picture book in rhyme which she also wrote. It shows how "a crowd of people anxiously chase their belongings" in the wind.
More about Pat Hutchins...