Sanctum

Sanctum

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  1,075 ratings  ·  144 reviews
Lachlan Harriott verkeert in shock. Zijn vrouw Susie ie veroordeeld voor de moord op seriemoordenaar Andrew Gow. Tenzij Harriott op korte termijn nieuw bewijsmateriaal van haar onschuld kan vinden, zullen zij alles kwijtraken: hun thuis, hun tweejarig dochtertje, hun leven.

Harriott is ervan overtuigd dat zijn vrouw, een gevangenispsychiater, onschuldig is en elke dag doorz...more
Library Binding, 302 pages
Published 2004 by Ambo/Anthos (first published 2002)

Jacqueline
Jen
I will say up-front that this was not my favorite Denise Mina book. I prefer her more straightforward mystery stories. This book is written in an interesting manner, though - it's the diary of a husband whose wife is currently in prison for murder. She is a psychiatrist, and she was accused and convicted of killing a serial killer she was treating while he was in prison. She swears she didn't do it, and her husband believes her. His diary reveals all of this thoughts - anger, confusion, changing...more
Kirsty Darbyshire

After the superb Garnethill trilogy I couldn't wait to see what Denise Mina would come up with next and I had my fingers, toes and every other extremity I could find crossed that I wouldn't be disappointed by Sanctum.

On some levels this book explores the same areas as the previous books, we're still in Glasgow and we're still dealing with the mental health system one way or another. But this is a very different style of book than before.

This book is written as the diary of Lachlan Harriot, an u

Karen
In another classic example of reader blindsightedness (okay so that's probably not a word), I'd filed SANCTUM somewhere at the back of the bookcase and promptly forgot it was there. Such a relief to unearth it during a recent tidy up and to move it straight to the top of the reading pile. Interestingly, as I sat down to write up this mini-review I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck rising slightly as I think about Lachlan in particular again.

Originally published in 2002, if you've not rea...more
Laurel-Rain
When a loyal husband and father searches through his wife's personal computer files and papers, he is trying to find evidence of her innocence in the case against her. A case that has resulted in her conviction for the murder of her alleged serial-killer patient and his wife.

So what is the story of Dr. Susie Harriot, and will Lachlan Harriot find what he needs for her appeal?

Sorting through the morass of these files, however, will lead Lachlan to unexpected secrets, twisted truths, and will fina...more
Bookmarks Magazine

Deception marks a departure from Mina's earlier work, award-winning crime novels set in the dark underbelly of Glasgow. Most critics agree that her use of the "unreliable narrator" is masterful. She slowly reveals that all is not as it seems; even self-deception abounds. As Mina peels away the onion, the househusband with tenacious loyalty to his convicted wife has his own questionable agenda. Deception keeps you guessing, yet manages to be much more than a mere whodunit, thanks to Mina's strong

Christie
Deception by Denise Mina is described as “a masterly psychological web of people on the edge and the devils that lie beneath their apparent respectability.” (Guardian)

I picked up the book in a remainder bin based on the blurb which tells the story of Lachlan Harriot whose pyschiatrist wife, Susie, has just been convicted of the murders of Andrew Gow, recently released serial killer, and his new bride, Donna. Lachlan spends time in his wife’s private office going through her files and trying to p...more
WordsBeyondBorders
உளவியலை மையப் பார்வையாகக் கொண்ட குற்றப்புனைவுகளில் (psychological crime fiction) பொதுவாக இரண்டு முக்கியப் பாணிகள் இருக்கும். மிகவும் இருண்மையான மனம் கொண்டு, மிகவும் புத்திசாலித்தனமாகக் குரூரச் செயல்கள் புரியும் ஒரு ஆசாமி (arch villian), அவனைப் பின் தொடரும் நுட்ப பு்த்தியும், விடாப் பிடிவாதமும், நீதி தேடுவதில் ஏனோ அக்கறை கொண்டவருமான காவல் துறை அதிகாரி, இவர்களுக்கிடையே நடக்கும் ஆடு புலி ஆட்டம் என்பது ஒரு பாணி. தொடர் கொலைகள் நடக்கும் நாவல்களில் இந்தப் பாணியை அதிகம் பார்க்கலாம் (Val McDermid இன் டோன...more
Dannaca
Jun 07, 2013 Dannaca rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Enjoy Crime Stories
This book was recommended to me very strongly. I guess I'm not unhappy that I read it or anything, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the person who recommended it to me did.

I liked that the book was told in journal entries. It gave a really deep persepective, but I felt that it didn't serve the story very well as a whole. The story was a mystery and, in the end, the mystery was quite frankly unsolved and that made me really mad. What is the point of a mystery if you never know the answer?

Th...more
Yvonne
I love Denise Mina. She is a great mystery writer and knows how to create characters that ring true. I love that all her books are set in Scotland. This is quite a different book for her, the main character is Lachlan, the husband of Dr. Susie Harriot. Susie is in prison for the murder of 2 people - one being a serial killer. And Lachlan is trying find a way to appeal her sentence, raise their toddler daughter, keep the live-in nanny and cope with various uninvited relatives who keep dropping in...more
Francine
Ms. Mina takes us on a ride with the seemingly good-intentioned and apparently at some point wronged husband, Lachlan. Although I had occasional inklings of What Really Happened, I wasn't sure till the last chapter, and that's how a great mystery should be written! Loved the ups and downs and meanderings of Lachlan's mind, and wondering if so and so was involved, or not, or someone else, or not, or, or, or... great read and although the crimes have a gruesome commonality, we don't have to revisi...more
Amy
Well, I liked this book but didn't love it. I liked that it was different than other mysteries I've read and not the usual police procedural or detective (amateur or professional) novel. I liked that the story involved a forensic psychologist. I liked that the ending was ultimately satisfying. I just didn't like that it took so long to get there and I didn't like the narrator at all, which made it a little difficult to read. I have another of Mina's books to read and I'll try another for sure.
Dorsi
Not my cup of tea. Actually one of the worst books that I have read. I struggled to get through this book. I was so looking forward to it but was disappointed.

It was S L O W! Plus is was just weird & creepy, and not in a good way. I like some creepy novels, but this was not that kind of creepy. The only thing I can say good about it is that there were some surprises at the end of the book. But even the unexpected was overshadowed by the long, drawn out story.
babs
excuse typos as it was typed on phone: This book bored the heck out of me and i stopped 80% of the way through. I literally could not waste any more minutes of my life and it was pure torture. I swear, all Lachie did the whole book was complain, sit, and eat.

His character was unlikeable and a waste of a human specimen. I have never read anything from this author before but I think that this may be my last as well.
Jody
I was really disappointed by Deception. The last Mina book I read was The End of the Wasp Season, and it was really good, right up to the end. The end was just okay. This one followed the same pattern, except the end wasn't just unsatisfying, it was down right ridiculous. It was confusing and rushed and depended on a deus ex machina from outta nowhere. Not recommended.
Sandi
Usually I try to steer clear of any books with the words serial killer in the description but I am very glad I made an exception for this audio. Great psychological suspense with memorable characters this was extremely well written and the narration by Richard Matthews, with some help from Donada Peters, was top notch.
Annette
Good, but not as good as her other books. The main character was not at all sympathetic. I found most of the characters to be annoying. I kept thinking the author had a specific reason to write such annoying characters but I never saw a payoff for that choice.
Diane
Deception was my first exposure to Denise Mina's work. I read a review of her new book and, since it sounded like the latest in a series, chose to try an earlier book. Deception is written as the journal entries of Lachlan Herriot, beginning on the day his wife is convicted of murdering a recently released serial murderer. The journal reveals Lachlan's research for information that will prove his wife innocent and his reactions as he begins to look at past events in a new light of knowledge. At...more
Booknblues
Deception
by Denise Mina
4 stars
pp. 311

How well do we know anyone? This is a central question of Denise Mina's book Deception. House husband and stay at home dad, Lachlan Harriot is attempting to come to terms with the fact that his wife and psychiatrist Dr. Susie Harriot is charged with the murder of Andrew Gow a serial killer, himself who was also Dr. Susie's former patient.

This is an intriguing story and Lachlan is a somewhat bumbling and not altogether likeable character as he begins searching...more
Kim
Dec 25, 2007 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers
OK, I accidentally read this one twice, but I liked it so much I didn't care. I remembered about 1/3 of the way through. Great twist at the end.
Pat
I'm a big fan of Denise Mina, but this book was awful.
As Daffy Duck would say, "Dwedful, abtholutely dwedful!"
Lynn Massieon
plot could have been really interesting but the execution of the plot was just mediocre.
Kristen
This may be set up like a true crime novel. In actuality, this is a standalone from Scottish crime writer, Denise Mina. When Lachlan's wife is in jail, awaiting her sentencing for her murders, it's up to him to discover the truth of what's fact or fiction, when he wants to help plan for her appeal. The closer the truth he gets, the more Susie avoids telling him the truth and plays mind games with him, after she goes to prison. Between fighting for his wife's life, raising their infant daughter a...more
Dewdrop
Very slow, very dull.
Kieran
Eh. Not my favorite.
Michelle
Lachlan's wife, Susie, has been imprisoned for the murder of one of her former patients at the prison she worked at as a psychologist. He has been murdered in a manner similar to his alleged victims, and his wife is missing, presumed dead.

Lachlan is convinced that his wife is innocent and begins digging into her files and papers in hopes of discovering something that will help her case on appeal. He uncovers far more than he bargained for, and we slowly see a much different character to Susie a...more
Ishmael Seaward
Another excellent crime novel from Denise Mina. This is told via the protagonist's diary, so it is, at least for me, a little difficult to follow because it switches between the past and the present, but the present isn't really the present because one is reading the diary long after it is written. So it behooves the reader to pay close attention.

Susie Harriot is a prison psychologist, who is assigned to work with Andrew Gow. Gow is a convicted serial killer, who is released on parole because mo...more
Hanna
Minan "Kammio" lojui minulla pitkään lukemattomana, kun en löytänyt sopivaa mielentilaa ja energiamäärää sitä lukeakseni. Tämä on suoranainen sääli, sillä kirja oli oikein mainio rikosromaani (= minulle samaa kuin muille viihdekirjallisuus) ja päiväkirjamuotoon kirjoitettu kerronta mukavaa vaihtelua. Sen myötä koin Lachlanin henkilönä tulleen läheisemmäksi (niin ihastuttavalla kuin ärsyttävällä tavalla) ja tapahtumien intiimimmiksi.

Kirjan prologi antaa ymmärtää sen olevan todellisuuspohjainen, m...more
Ursula
Close to brilliant. In the prologue, Mina introduces the following chapters as "complete and unabridged transcripts of diaries" that were found on an old computer's hard drive. The diarist is a 29-year-old Lachlan Harriot, a trained doctor who has chosen the role of the stay-at-home dad while his ambitious wife Susie devotes herself to her career as psychiatrist. Yet they have a cleaning lady, a succession of au pairs - some with their own agenda - and little Margie is marched off to a nursery e...more
Cathy Cole
First Line: I'm shocked.

29-year-old Lachlan Harriot is in a state of disbelief. His ambitious wife Susie, a forensic psychiatrist, has just been found guilty of the murder of serial killer Andrew Gow, who was in her care. In the next two weeks, Lachlan must find grounds for an appeal, or Susie will be given a life sentence, depriving her of her home, her husband, and her two-year-old daughter.

Lachlan is convinced of Susie's innocence, and against her express wishes, each night he trudges up th...more
  • The Cutting Room
  • The Chameleon's Shadow
  • The Death Chamber
  • Silent Voices (Vera Stanhope, #4)
  • Piranha to Scurfy: And Other Stories
  • Blind Eye (Logan McRae, #5)
  • Laidlaw
  • The Price of Butcher's Meat (Dalziel & Pascoe, #23)
  • No Night is Too Long
  • The Complaints
  • Trick of the Dark
  • The Redeemed (Jenny Cooper, #3)
  • En helt annan historia (Barbarotti #2)
  • White Ginger
Denise Mina was born in Glasgow in 1966. Because of her father's job as an Engineer, the family followed the north sea oil boom of the seventies around Europe
She left school at sixteen and did a number of poorly paid jobs, including working in a meat factory, as a bar maid, kitchen porter and cook.
Eventually she settled in auxiliary nursing for geriatric and terminal care patients.
At twenty one sh...more
More about Denise Mina...
Garnethill (Garnethill #1) The End of the Wasp Season (Alex Morrow, #2) Still Midnight (Alex Morrow #1) Field of Blood (Paddy Meehan, #1) Hellblazer: Empathy is the Enemy