Start by marking “Poems” as Want to Read:
Poems

Poems

3.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In 1958 the Foreign Languages Press translated, edited and published an English version of Mao Zedong Poems (19 poems). In the early 1960s, it again organized scholars and translators to translate more of Mao Zedong's poems into English, and in 1976 a new edition of Mao Zedong Poems (39 poems) in English was published in five different sizes and with differently designed c ...more
Published 1998 by Foreign Language Press (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems

Tariq Alferis
.لاثورة بغير قصائد شعر هكذا قالها الرفيق ماو تسي تونغ عندما كان يقود العُمال والشعب ( الجيش الأحمر) نحو الحُرية….

.الشعاب ضيقة ، والغابات سحيقة ، والطحالب زلقة.
الى اين سنذهب اليوم ؟
رأسا الى قدم جبال فويي.
الى الجبال ، قدم الجبال.
والرايات الحمر سوف تنتشر مثل الدرج.

كان ماو تسي تونغ يكتب قصائده أثناء الحرب الأهلية، وكُل قصيدة لها معنى وقصة وبفضل المُترجم جورج جرداق فهمت بعض من قصائده، في الأغلب قصائده غير مفهومة ، لكن في النهاية ..يكفيني أن صاحب القصائد ماو تسي تونغ..
Shane
Oct 16, 2011 Shane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The version I found (in a second hand bookshop) is a version printed as a gift for diplomats by the Chinese government. It's a beautiful book with a facsimile of a poem in Mao's handwriting. Unfortunately the beauty of the poems themselves are lost in translation as Chinese poetry is so different from what us English speakers are used to.
Steven Peterson
Mar 19, 2010 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an odd little book. It begins with a brief biography of Mao, tracing the arc of his life. But the center of it is his poetry. I am no expert on Mao's poetry, but the editor of this volume observes (Page 21): "It is unexpected, however, that [Mao:] is a major poet." And that is what makes this old work intriguing to me. There are many aspects of Mao--from revolutionary to taker of so many lives. But poet was not a role I had considered until I ran across this work decades ago.

Some quick s
Jeff
Apr 30, 2013 Jeff rated it did not like it
"Poetry of Mao" by Mao Tse Tung, 1976. Printed in the People's Republic of China, in the year of Mao's death, this exquisitely presented book includes Chairman Mao's original poetry and calligraphy. It appears that his writing does not translate well into English, or perhaps very possibly, that Mao had little talent for writing to begin with. In 1958 on the eve of "The Great leap forward", Mao visits the remote, rural village of his youth and writes poetry of 'rice paddies and beans', connoting ...more
David
Jul 31, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the works of Mao Tse-Tung, but his poems are very hard to follow. I'm not sure if this is attributed to the Chinese/English translation, but some of the wording is archaic and rudimentary even for early twentieth century political theorists. Still, most people can finish this book in less than thirty minutes. I do recommend it!
Joanna
Mar 17, 2015 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The collection of poems which is exactly not what I would expect. It is amazingly sensitive and subtle poetry. Not a trace of propaganda in sight. Quite beautiful.
Steven
Jan 28, 2015 Steven rated it it was ok
This book is like a cliff notes to Mao and not poetry so I rated it as a poetry book! A surreal read!!
Mohammed
لقد قال المعلم :
"إن الأمور تمضي كما تمضي مياه النهر ،فلا تعود إلى مجاريها مرتين ! "
Carpe Diem
Lost in translation, I guess?
I really liked the handwritten ones though
Morticia
Jul 10, 2015 Morticia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At least it was short!
Nativeabuse
Great little collection of poetry, but I was a bit disappointed that his poetry is so generic.

There is almost no poetry talking about war or revolution or communism, which is what I was looking for. What his poetry consists of is talking about birds, mountains, lakes, rivers, rain, earth, mist, wildlife, scenery. Mix and match with lots of flowery adjectives.

Good for what it is, flowery poetry about nature, but if you are interested in that just read some Walt Whitman or something. I wouldn't b
Nathalie Legro
Apr 19, 2015 Nathalie Legro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
Decidí releer este libro porque creo que no le había prestado mucha atención. Sin importar quién fue y qué hizo los poemas de Mao son prueba de su intelecto, legitima y promueve por medio de letras su causa. Leí la versión española de Délano y el librito es fisicamente bonitoy con algunas ilustraciones interesantes.
Michael
Nov 04, 2010 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a poet, an imitative hack. But one would not dare say so in China.
Ingrid
Jan 08, 2013 Ingrid marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Mentioned in the 1Q84 murakami's book.
Ahmed Mansour
Ahmed Mansour marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Fan Cheng
Fan Cheng rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Jenny Lim
Jenny Lim marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Yihung Liu
Yihung Liu is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2015
Alain Lesage
Alain Lesage rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
T. S.
T. S. added it
Jan 04, 2016
Bomanizahir
Bomanizahir marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Juan Carlos
Juan Carlos rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
Mina Wael
Mina Wael marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Steen Teisen
Steen Teisen marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2015
☭ kirilov
☭ kirilov marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mao Zedong, also transliterated as Mao Tse-tung, and commonly referred to as Chairman Mao, was a Chinese Communist revolutionary, guerrilla warfare strategist, Marxist political philosopher, and leader of the Chinese Revolution. He was the architect and founding father of the People's Republic of China (PRC) from its establishment in 1949, and held control over the nation until his death in 1976. ...more
More about Mao Tse-tung...