Start by marking “Costigan's Needle” as Want to Read:
Costigan's Needle

Costigan's Needle

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Jerry Sohl believed Costigan’s Needle (Rinehart & Company, New York, 1953) to be his best science-fiction work: Dr. Costigan invents a device which appears to produce an opening into a different world. Since his first model is not large enough to actually explore this different world he secures the backing of a large mid western electronics company to build one large e ...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published January 1st 1954 by Bantam Books (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Costigan's Needle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Costigan's Needle

David Tindell
Nov 29, 2014 David Tindell rated it really liked it
I read this book in high school and visited it again recently. What struck me about Sohl's book is how much different the story would be if it was written today. The people who go through the Eye of the Needle are, in Sohl's story, an inventive and cooperative slice of early-50s Americana. Those who survive the transition quickly band together and get organized, and within months have built a functioning society literally from scratch. A writer today would have to include racial tensions, a pow ...more
Facedeer
May 22, 2015 Facedeer rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I don't remember a lot of details about this one, read it a long time ago. But I do remember liking it.
C.W. Hawes
Mar 15, 2015 C.W. Hawes rated it it was amazing
I read this novel decades ago. Perhaps 45 to 50 years. It has stayed with me all this time. In fact, I'm probably due for a re-read. It is a wonderful tale of pulling together for a common cause and then realizing maybe things are okay as they are. It is also a story which reminds us we can't go back we can only go forward. The past is the past. We are here now and the future awaits.

Classic science fiction. Well worth reading.
Eric
May 06, 2016 Eric rated it really liked it
Salvando el hecho de ser un libro de su época, me ha resultado entretenido, y con un mensaje final digno de contar. También, el protagonista es un ingeniero, y eso siempre suma ;-)
Tim Williams
Apr 10, 2013 Tim Williams rated it really liked it
Old school SF - 50's. Fun. Sometimes a bit much in what the people managed to do with no base technology, but still interesting. Predictable but OK ending. Worth read if you like classic SF.
Randy
Randy added it
May 20, 2016
Nikita
Nikita rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Thierry-Dimitri
Thierry-Dimitri rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Norm Sohl
Norm Sohl rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Maria Johnston
Maria Johnston marked it as to-read
Stephanie Henderson
Stephanie Henderson marked it as to-read
Diana MacLeod
Diana MacLeod marked it as to-read
Theresa Young
Theresa Young marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Alexander Berry
Alexander Berry is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2016
Cecil
Cecil rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
Michael Panzitta
Michael Panzitta rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
Marshall Berman
Marshall Berman rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Eric J
Eric J rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Rod Harty
Rod Harty marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Daniela
Daniela rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Matthew Kingsbury
Matthew Kingsbury rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Fredrik Rantakyro
Fredrik Rantakyro rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Ashley Marie
Ashley Marie rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2016
D Hermann
D Hermann rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Jill Nesheim
Jill Nesheim marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Gerald Allan Sohl Sr. (December 2, 1913 - November 4, 2002) was a scriptwriter for The Twilight Zone (as a ghostwriter for Charles Beaumont), Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Outer Limits, Star Trek and other shows . He also wrote novels, feature film scripts, and the nonfiction works Underhanded Chess and Underhanded Bridge in 1973.

His 1955 Point Ultimate is a piece of Cold War invasion literature: